Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323160 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #750 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:11 pm »

Bureaucracy's wording is kind of funky. I would go with the more "standard":

"When you gain a victory card, the player to your left may make you put it onto your deck."
I'm uploading another one as we speak. It's not the player to your left alone, though. We don't want people screaming "Why did you have to remind him, Jack?!" over the table.

I always understood the "player to your left" to be a proxy for the whole table. Never have I encountered players getting mad at Jack for helping Bob come up with the right card to name when Alice plays a Contraband, for example.

You have a point. Hum. I will think about this. Maybe if the triggers are easy enough to remember, or if doing an effect retroactively doesn't break the game (as with Tyranny), it could even work being simply mandatory, after all.

I would like to see the edicts delve into even more rule changing territory.  Like using 12 kingdoms instead of 10.  things that change at the beginning of the game.  maybe another one could be use Platinums, but not colonies.  Didn't think through these, just wondering. 
These are nice. I assume Colony without Platin is covered by Dominate, but this would be the opposite thing. And 12 kingdom piles, why not? You could also have the starting player being determined by a bidding mechanic, or increase the number of Provinces in the pile, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:22:41 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 23, 2017, 01:40:59 pm »
+4

Fixes to Bureaucracy and Tyranny: I think they can get away with being mandatory. If you only remember Tyranny a few seconds late, there's no issue, and Bureaucracy has an easy to remember trigger.

New, more fundamental stuff, including Nflicker's ideas:

Edit: Wording suggestions to Progress are welcome, by the way. It basically just tells you that the game doesn't end until each player had an equal number of turns. I tried to make it only stop the Province pile ending, originally, but was in a hurry and decided to just post it anway.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:10:06 pm by Asper »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:03 pm »
+2

Fixes to Bureaucracy and Tyranny: I think they can get away with being mandatory. If you only remember Tyranny a few seconds late, there's no issue, and Bureaucracy has an easy to remember trigger.

Yes, much better. For Tyranny especially; it is always a play mistake to not have your opponent take the - token when you can (ridiculous edge cases involving storyteller and controlling the shuffle aside); so why bother giving them a choice? It can only lead to unnecessary Kingmaking or favoritism.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:56 pm »
+2

One way to rephrase progress:

"Only check for end of game conditions at the beginning of the starting player's turn."

You can make the wording funkier to avoid Outpost or Mission shenanigans, but I am not sure it's worth it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
+2

Very good, I like the new ones :)  And thanks :)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 23, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »
+1

Ok, what about one that's a little crazier:  Pick a random kingdom supply pile not in the set of kingdoms.  Replace one of each players' starting estates (or ruins) with one copy of this card. 

If that's a little too crazy, maybe limit the card to costing only two coin, or three coins at most. 
Maybe it could be called Preparation.  Not sure of a good theme. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:53:33 pm by Nflickner »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 23, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »
+3

Can you please correct the spelling on the Imperialism card from Platins to Platinums?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 23, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »
+2

Can you please correct the spelling on the Imperialism card from Platins to Platinums?

Oops, looks like a little German slipped in there.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 23, 2017, 05:31:53 pm »
+2

Oh is that what Platins was supposed to be? I just figured it was some other fan card, lol.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 23, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »
+2

Fixed Imperialism (above). Also, here's a little something that seemed better as an Event than as an Edict:

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:59 pm »
+1

I really like the idea of the rules of the game being changed slightly. I think an edict that required the game to end on a three-pile would be interesting, or one that bans silver or gold from being bought. Not sure how fun that would be though. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these. It's so much easier to use these than fanmade supply cards.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:50 pm »
+2

Fixed the wording of Progress. I'm checking between turns, so it's clear the starting player won't be able to move again.

The second one is for all those alt-curse-lovers out there. Actually, it's just Inquisitor in Edict-shape.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:17 pm »

I really like the idea of the rules of the game being changed slightly. I think an edict that required the game to end on a three-pile would be interesting, or one that bans silver or gold from being bought. Not sure how fun that would be though. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these. It's so much easier to use these than fanmade supply cards.

Thanks. In case you get lost with all the versions, the OP currently has the most recent ones.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 24, 2017, 12:39:07 am »
+2

Fixed Imperialism (above). Also, here's a little something that seemed better as an Event than as an Edict:

I love Black market variants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Probably cause I love black market :) 

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:40 am »
+2

Not to be nittpicky, but I just noticed you're using the same art for your Borderlands Landmark as well as your Exile edict.  I think the art is beautiful though. 

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:45 am »
+1

Not to be nittpicky, but I just noticed you're using the same art for your Borderlands Landmark as well as your Exile edict.  I think the art is beautiful though.
The artist made 3 desert outposts, you could use one of the other 2.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 24, 2017, 07:50:22 am »
+1

Reminds me of my old card Plot I posted about. I never got around to fixing it up, but your version is pretty close to how I was going to do it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:14:13 am by ThetaSigma12 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 24, 2017, 08:55:37 am »

Borderlands is dead, though.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 24, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
+1

Somehow I missed your murdering of it.  Why don't you like it?  It seems like a fine card. 

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »

Somehow I missed your murdering of it.  Why don't you like it?  It seems like a fine card.

Admittedly, I didn't try it out as much, but I was afraid that it might drag out the game too much. Now two Estates are worth as much as a Duchy, and two Duchies are worth more than a Province. As Battlefield already encourages VP buys, while Tower rewards draining a pile (e.g. Duchy), it didn't feel original enough. And then the idea isn't even my own, as it was Fragasnap who had it first. So yeah, it doesn't really belong here.

To announce another murder, I put Hospital into Outtakes, because it is a pain to balance, and tends to be either unuseable or dominant, both of which stink. Keep in mind this doesn't necessarily mean I won't ever fix it. The outtakes are just stuff that I put in my drawer and might be taking out later.

Also, I'm going to test Lady-in-waiting at 3$, give Heir (with pretty new princess-y art) another shot, and will test both Tribunal and Olympic Village (though not necessarily in the same game). Also, I probably need another name for Olympic Village, as even though it's kind of fun it is too much of an anachronism. I mean, not as bad as Caesar, but whatever.

And finally, I put the Edicts in the OP. In that regard, a question:
What's better, Exile as an Edict, or Inquisitor as a Exiled-Witch variant? Or do they both suck?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:45:54 pm by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2017, 04:44:00 pm »
+1

I never liked Inquisitor, so I'm fine with it in outtakes.

Tribunal and Olympic Village seem worth another shot.

Lady in Waiting and Heir both have art I'm not a fan of, but whatever.

Kingreaper

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
    • Artemis Games
« Reply #771 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:00 pm »
+2

I like Exile as an edict, it's a nice change to things value. Although I'd rather it was non-optional, so that it could be sometimes good and sometimes bad depending on trashing levels.

MattLee

• Spy
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 24, 2017, 05:19:42 pm »
+1

Hey Asper, how do you think Town and Road would be if it were combined into a split pile? I wouldn't suggest you change it to that, I'm just curious. Seems like Town could cost 3, and Road cost 2... but then Town would just be renamed Village which would be no good. 4 would probably be too high if you're not getting a free Road with it. Hmm.

Really like the Edicts by the way  :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:21:12 pm by MattLee »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:26 pm »
+1

I like Exile as an edict, it's a nice change to things value. Although I'd rather it was non-optional, so that it could be sometimes good and sometimes bad depending on trashing levels.
I completely agree with everything here.  :)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 24, 2017, 07:32:34 pm »

Hey Asper, how do you think Town and Road would be if it were combined into a split pile? I wouldn't suggest you change it to that, I'm just curious. Seems like Town could cost 3, and Road cost 2... but then Town would just be renamed Village which would be no good. 4 would probably be too high if you're not getting a free Road with it. Hmm.

Really like the Edicts by the way  :D

This was suggested several times in the past. I did not decide to change the cards for several reasons. One is that you have to pick up the cards in order, that is obviously you'd have to get Town first. In general, I'm not much of a fan of split piles, to be honest. Carrier and Nightwatch are actually more anti-split pile, in that the first card is weakened by the second. There is nothing good to gain from using the mechanic here in my opinion.

Another, more objective thing is that Road not being in the supply makes sure you can't put the +1 Action token on it. It still works with Champion, but those games are crazy either way.

I completely agree with everything here.  :)
I guess it's quite doable as a mandatory rule in practice, and probably rule changes are more interesting if you can't just weasel (weasle?) out of them. So yeah, let's do mandatory.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:40:00 pm by Asper »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.