Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323199 times)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #725 on: February 19, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »
+1

FWIW, I think I took the idea from someone else who created several cards that passed to adjacent players and provided you with off-turn bonuses.

But the point about not playing the card to avoid letting another player draw a card is indeed a thing I worried about, myself. Maybe if the bonus is something more harmless, the "gifted" player won't mind it as much, like in the alternative described above?
Yeah, I agree that the bonus should be small.  You have to imagine you have a Message in a Bottle in hand, would you play it to get +1 card if it also gives a bonus to an opponent?  If the bonus is +1 card or better, the answer is often no.

But it's not as bad as it sounds.  With 2 players, there are no true politics, and in 3+ players you're less willing to hurt yourself just to hurt a single opponent.

The tokens are a neat idea.  I think you'd want to give your Message in a Bottle to the player who is thin, but not so thin that they can easily trash Message in a Bottle.  So choosing which player can be an interesting decision in itself.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 19, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »

In another forum, somebody pointed out that the tokens also add a level of politicalnes. I have two Coppers, a Silver and two MiaB in hand, but from different owners. I'll probably not have to play both to get to 5$, so who gets the advantage?

Not sure I'm currently able to solve the problems this has. At the very least, my current ideas won't really add anything substantial that hasn't already been there.

Also, I do believe I remember where I heard of this idea before. Donald X once tried to prove a point about how he already had every good fan card idea before and looked at a single fan card thread, critizising a few cards from it. I do believe one of those cards was a variant of this.

Maybe I'll have a grand idea how to add something here in due time...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »
+2

Yeah, I agree that the bonus should be small.  You have to imagine you have a Message in a Bottle in hand, would you play it to get +1 card if it also gives a bonus to an opponent?  If the bonus is +1 card or better, the answer is often no.

One way to solve that is to spread out the bonus over more than one card. Just as a proof of concept:

Message in a bottle
+1 Card
+1 Action
The player to your right flips their Bottle token over. If it's face up, they draw a card.

When you buy this, put it and a copy of it in the discard pile of the player to your left.

Important part being the fact that they gain two cards, not the exact way the bonus works.

Another (unrelated) idea that also solves the "benefit" problem would be to have a single shared Bottle token, that you take when you play or buy a Message in a Bottle card, so that playing the card means you will be the next one to benefit from it. It doesn't preserve the original idea of the card, though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:45:25 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:40 am »
+3

I suppose this was done already?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:50 am »
+2

Yeah, see GeneralRamos' Archipelago. It doesn't have the +1 Card on play, the trashing on calling, and on Buy not on Gain trigger. Yours might be good but Archipelago is one of my favorites.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
+1

Thank you, kind ThetaSigma12. I will check out Archipelago immediately. Have you played with it? I suspected the trashing would be necessary so you can't just play and call the same copy every turn.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:33 pm »
+1

Thank you, kind ThetaSigma12. I will check out Archipelago immediately. Have you played with it? I suspected the trashing would be necessary so you can't just play and call the same copy every turn.
Yeah I played a game or 2 with it. The only thing I know is having it called on Buy is better than Gain, to stop stalling the game as much, though trashing might overcome that.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 22, 2017, 04:07:27 pm »
+2

Yeah I played a game or 2 with it. The only thing I know is having it called on Buy is better than Gain, to stop stalling the game as much, though trashing might overcome that.
Can you please put a link to this Archipelago card? Don't know where to find it.  Thanks :)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 22, 2017, 04:08:28 pm »
+1

Diggin' it, as always Asper.  I feel like it has a unique place. 

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 22, 2017, 05:23:25 pm »
+6

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14361.msg550202#msg550202 for the original, but there's my fjnctionally identical version under other carcs in my thread (click the link in my signature.

EDIT: 1000th post, this had better get me dozens od upvotes.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2017, 06:01:28 pm »

Well, as people already mentioned in the original thread, on buy causes weird interactions, as a bought card is still in the supply. Considering Talisman's wording, you could even make a point that the top card of the pile you bought from getting moved doesn't keep you from gaining the card below it. In other words, on buy this would make me move the top Province of the pile (to my Tavern Mat) before I gain a Province for my buy. You could solve that by saying "when you gain a Victory card in your buy phase", but as this still doesn't stop a "4 Silvers and this" deck from just buying a Province every turn, I think the trash option is better altogether, to be honest.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:23 pm »
+9

We often had the topics of Events and Landmarks, and how they could be expanded by further sideways non-cards. You know, things that just change the rules, without resorting to the buying mechanic, or just caring about points. Today I decided to give it a try myself.

The first issue with a thing like this is that they are hard to remember. You can check Events during your buy phase, and Landmarks are about VP, so they will catch your attention automatically. They also have a special color. So I thought, if Events are white and rather simple, like the default Actions cards, and Landmarks are green and about points, like VP-cards, then this new thing about effects that can happen at any time should maybe also take the color scheme of cards that can trigger at any time: So, reaction-blue.

As a theme, I went with an old naming idea LastFootnote had: Edicts. He also named most of them after expressions from politics, and I felt that fit, so I kept it.

The following are more exemplary than anything. Please note that I intentionally made it so that the effects are all triggered by a player wanting it - this way, if you forget an Edict, you're not cheating. Also, I tried to make sure none of these can trivially be implemented as an Event or Landmark...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:01:17 am by Asper »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2017, 11:19:28 pm »
+4

All of those Edicts look fun and I want to play with all of them.

Er, maybe not all at once.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2017, 11:22:31 pm »
+3

so other players can demand that you put a victory card on your deck but, like, do you have to do it?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:45 pm »
+2

I really like the edicts as well :)  I want more!  I like Equality and Appeasement the best I think, but they are all good. 

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 23, 2017, 12:53:00 am »

so other players can demand that you put a victory card on your deck but, like, do you have to do it?
Well, that's implied. But you are right, it's not technically spelled out.

What's bugging me more is that I actually made the same mistake with Bureaucracy that I pointed out just one post before it: If you move the Victory card on buy, you technically still gain the card below it (see Talisman). I'll fix that. Edit: Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:01:36 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2017, 01:07:06 am »

All of those Edicts look fun and I want to play with all of them.

Er, maybe not all at once.

I really like the edicts as well :)  I want more!  I like Equality and Appeasement the best I think, but they are all good.

Thanks, you guys :)
I'm sure there's a lot more potential here, much of which has already been discussed by other forumites. Probably there are still some rather obvious options here. My biggest problem was that I think things should be Events if they reasonably can, so I skipped one or two more ideas I had.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2017, 07:21:14 am »
+2

These look cool! My favorite part is that the shields on Equality match the VP shield color.

Where do you get your art from?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:06 am »

These look cool! My favorite part is that the shields on Equality match the VP shield color.

Where do you get your art from?
The internet. My first address is deviantart, usually. With these 6, they are all from there.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2017, 10:00:08 am »
+2

Bureaucracy's wording is kind of funky. I would go with the more "standard":

"When you gain a victory card, the player to your left may make you put it onto your deck."
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:30 am »

"When you gain a victory card, the player to your left may make you put it onto your deck."
I'm uploading another one as we speak. It's not the player to your left alone, though. We don't want people screaming "Why did you have to remind him, Jack?!" over the table.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:01 am »

Oh boy, now it's my chance to criticize somebody's new mechanic!  ;)

In all seriousness, they look great, thougn I still prefer my Landforms.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 23, 2017, 10:51:01 am »
+3

Some fixes and changes:

Equality now has you looking at the cards, instead of stacking a bunch of backsides that look the same :P

Bureaucracy now states that the demand must be fulfilled.

An alternative version of Appeasement that makes Estates Moats (Edit: more or less). I felt the debt and attack thing was a bit too complex for something you might forget as easily, especially as attacks aren't always in the kingdom. However, as I still wanted players to be able and make you lose money if you went for a certain strategy...

...here's a new one.

Oh boy, now it's my chance to criticize somebody's new mechanic!  ;)

In all seriousness, they look great, thougn I still prefer my Landforms.
In fact, some of these are inspired by ideas that appeared in your Landforms thread. However, as the mechanic is more general, it allows me to do pretty much any Landform you could come up with, without being limited to that. From my perspective, that's strictly better - especially as I think that, while tokens are a cute idea to use for one or two Edicts, they hardly need to be expanded over 6+ effects. But I told you that already.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:23:00 am by Asper »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 23, 2017, 11:24:08 am »
+2

I'm uploading another one as we speak. It's not the player to your left alone, though. We don't want people screaming "Why did you have to remind him, Jack?!" over the table.

I always understood the "player to your left" to be a proxy for the whole table. Never have I encountered players getting mad at Jack for helping Bob come up with the right card to name when Alice plays a Contraband, for example.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 23, 2017, 11:51:16 am »
+2

I would like to see the edicts delve into even more rule changing territory.  Like using 12 kingdoms instead of 10.  things that change at the beginning of the game.  maybe another one could be use Platinums, but not colonies.  Didn't think through these, just wondering. 
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.