Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323227 times)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2016, 11:06:31 am »
+1

I got some feedback and changed a few cards:

Sunken City now discards the card instead of revealing it first.
Well now specifies that the cost is relative to the trashed card.
Nightwatch now is a bit weaker, since its base effect is a mere Oasis.
Possibly this has already been discussed, but need the below-line trashing on Well be mandatory?  It seems like an on-buy effect like that is attempting to be generally helpful, but as it stands it may be pretty painful.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2016, 02:04:12 pm »

Possibly this has already been discussed, but need the below-line trashing on Well be mandatory?  It seems like an on-buy effect like that is attempting to be generally helpful, but as it stands it may be pretty painful.
I don't recall it being discussed. But you are right, it'd probably profit from being optional. I doubt it would throw the card off-balance.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
+1

http://d-torres.deviantart.com/art/Promo-art-459102362

Is the art for Farmer I used.

Also, I'd encourage you to update all you cards with vanilla bonuses and new wording.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:43:22 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:16 am »
+2

I don't recall it being discussed. But you are right, it'd probably profit from being optional. I doubt it would throw the card off-balance.

My two cents: I would keep it mandatory. It just adds that little bit of layer of extra decision making. Then again, we have had that people just forget about it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 28, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
+2

Some info:

• Homunculus should probably just say "You may trash a card from your hand" to be stronger and simpler.
  • Assemble's ability to gain engine components isn't really all that good. It's mostly an Expand that gains Coppers. So why shouldn't I just limit it to that use case?
  • Will kick out Invader. Option one is to replace it with a card that costs 8 or 9 and is a Peddler with optional trashing for Provinces, which I'd call Delegate again. Never really liked the Roman theme, either way. The alternative is a new rendition of the "Glory" spell combined with Wizard's wording getting changed. Speaking of which, Wizard could probably do with casting up to two Spells again. He's just not comparing well to other 5s right now.
  • Well will probably be optional either way. I follow Haddock's point, and forgetting about it is also bad. If it was a straight punishment, people wouldn't forget it, but as is it's to be expected.
  • I'll re-do Iron Maiden, as it's my only card with Bonuses in the text. I don't see myself rewording all those "If you do"s to "to"s, simply because those wordings are still correct and I don't want to go through that effort.
  • I'll post less, for real this time.
  • Thank you for linking the image you used for Farmer, ThetaSigma12. I tried it out, compared it, and then ultimately felt I liked the cheerful look of my original pick still slightly better. Sorry for making you go through the trouble of looking it up and posting it, I appreciate that.
  • German speakers might occasionally see me post on the german forum. It has less users and no Donald X, but has its advantages (no users who hate me, for example).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2016, 07:04:22 pm »
+2

(no users who hate me, for example).

Who hates you? You're one of my favorite users on the forums!
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2016, 09:50:24 pm »
+2

You could make Road not work with Champion by simply making it not an action card.

Road Reaction,
During your action phase, you may reveal this
from your hand to spend an action for +2 Cards.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Or this may be more clearly worded,

Road Reaction,
During your action phase, you may spend an action
to reveal this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:52:18 pm by kru5h »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »
+4

(no users who hate me, for example).

Who hates you? You're one of my favorite users on the forums!

Well, that rules you out ;)
Thanks, that's good to hear. Forgive me, but I feel I don't want to answer your question. The person knows who I refer to, and that's enough. No need to make this a huge thing, I was kind of frustrated when writing that. But seriously, you saying such a nice thing makes me happy :)

You could make Road not work with Champion by simply making it not an action card.

Road Reaction,
During your action phase, you may reveal this
from your hand to spend an action for +2 Cards.

Or this may be more clearly worded,

Road Reaction,
During your action phase, you may spend an action
to reveal this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards.

I made Road specifically to design a card that did the "use as many actions as you wish" thing without introducing a new mechanic. Spells aside, that's a thing I do: Take existing mechanics and do weird stuff with them. Originally it was a supply card, but a certain user mentioned that it would be better if it wasn't (which gave away there would be a way to make any card in the supply give +1 Action). Also it solved the issue of Road being in a kingdom without any Villages. Having it be an extra that comes with Road solves both issues. The only issue that doesn't go away is Champion.

However, Champion games are a very special case. First of all, Warrior is the worst designed Dominion card in my book (yes, worse than Rebuild), as it is incredibly destructive and can decide the game based on luck only - so games with the Page line don't weight much for me with respect to game balance or fun. Second, Road actually improves those games. At least once the game is decided in favour of the player who got his Champion into play (the game is usually already decided once one Warrior trashes the opponent's, but well), you won't have to suffer for much longer. But seriously, even if the Page line wasn't screwed up thanks to Warrior, Champion is an incredibly hard to get, incredibly strong card. Road just means that (provided you draw it), you can draw your deck. Truth be told, you can do that quite often with Champion, either way, and as everything goes nuts in any case, Road doesn't even change that much. Also, if you don't draw Road (or any other draw card), it's still doing nothing for you. To avoid that, you need to get several Roads, which means you'll have to buy Towns, which don't do anything to reach Champion and don't get anything out of it. So that's not trivial, either. Long story short, I can live with Champion's interaction with Road.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:35:12 pm by Asper »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:45 pm »
+2

Hey Gubump, get out of the way, Asper was one of my favourite posters before you even registered :p

Maybe this is too personal, but you don't need to tell us whether you intend to post more often or not. There is nothing inherently wrong with checking out the forum. Of course, if checking the forum makes you feel bad about yourself for whatever reason, then you might want to block access to the website (there are ton of apps and stuff that can do that). We'll miss you of course, but your well-being comes first.

...that being said, Well is still easily one of my favourite fan cards, but I just noticed that the art style rings a bell. Where did you get it from?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 29, 2016, 01:29:57 pm »
+1

Some info:

• Homunculus should probably just say "You may trash a card from your hand" to be stronger and simpler.
  • Assemble's ability to gain engine components isn't really all that good. It's mostly an Expand that gains Coppers. So why shouldn't I just limit it to that use case?
  • Will kick out Invader. Option one is to replace it with a card that costs 8 or 9 and is a Peddler with optional trashing for Provinces, which I'd call Delegate again. Never really liked the Roman theme, either way. The alternative is a new rendition of the "Glory" spell combined with Wizard's wording getting changed. Speaking of which, Wizard could probably do with casting up to two Spells again. He's just not comparing well to other 5s right now.
  • Well will probably be optional either way. I follow Haddock's point, and forgetting about it is also bad. If it was a straight punishment, people wouldn't forget it, but as is it's to be expected.
  • I'll re-do Iron Maiden, as it's my only card with Bonuses in the text. I don't see myself rewording all those "If you do"s to "to"s, simply because those wordings are still correct and I don't want to go through that effort.
  • I'll post less, for real this time.
  • Thank you for linking the image you used for Farmer, ThetaSigma12. I tried it out, compared it, and then ultimately felt I liked the cheerful look of my original pick still slightly better. Sorry for making you go through the trouble of looking it up and posting it, I appreciate that.
  • German speakers might occasionally see me post on the german forum. It has less users and no Donald X, but has its advantages (no users who hate me, for example).
-I haven't played with homunculus yet, so no comments there. Seems okay to me though.
-Assemble seems fine as-is. I've used it before to gain cheap things, and just a weaker expand seems like it ruins the whole charm of the card.
-I haven't played with Invader, so no comments there either.
-Wizard too.
-Well would probably benefit from being optional.
-Iron maiden could use some simplicity.
-Nothing to say really.
-Fair enough, I hate the Farmer art still but that's purley your choice. On a side note, I think I'll drop my alternate art for scientist to maybe use somewhere else. Still not a big fan of the current art, but I've decided it's not worth chaning. I'll remove my art for "Capitol" as you changed that.
-I don't speak German.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:32:13 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: October 30, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »
+1

Hey Gubump, get out of the way, Asper was one of my favourite posters before you even registered :p
Don't worry, pacovf, you'll always be my #1 cheer-up-person ;)

Maybe this is too personal, but you don't need to tell us whether you intend to post more often or not. There is nothing inherently wrong with checking out the forum. Of course, if checking the forum makes you feel bad about yourself for whatever reason, then you might want to block access to the website (there are ton of apps and stuff that can do that). We'll miss you of course, but your well-being comes first.
Well, my lamentations are rather personal, so giving personal responses is just natural. In fact, I mostly lament because I have trouble controlling how much I use fds, and that inability to control it is what makes me feel bad. It's like eating chocolate makes you feel good, but swearing you won't eat that bar today and spare it for the weekend, and then eat it today, either way, feels like a failure. I've been able to post closer to what I intended recently, so it feels kinda okay right now.

...that being said, Well is still easily one of my favourite fan cards, but I just noticed that the art style rings a bell. Where did you get it from?
I got it from here: Stadtwerke Lichtenfels. Sadly putting it in reverse search doesn't get me much more info - all I get is the same website and, looky there, some thread about "fan cards". Whatever those are.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 30, 2016, 07:58:02 pm »
+1

Well, my lamentations are rather personal, so giving personal responses is just natural. In fact, I mostly lament because I have trouble controlling how much I use fds, and that inability to control it is what makes me feel bad. It's like eating chocolate makes you feel good, but swearing you won't eat that bar today and spare it for the weekend, and then eat it today, either way, feels like a failure. I've been able to post closer to what I intended recently, so it feels kinda okay right now.

100% understand. Yay for self-control that actually works though!

I got it from here: Stadtwerke Lichtenfels. Sadly putting it in reverse search doesn't get me much more info - all I get is the same website and, looky there, some thread about "fan cards". Whatever those are.

Argh. On the other side, look who's getting famous! :p
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 02, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »

Where are Report and Jelwer in your list of outtakes? Were they just way too sucky to include?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
+1

Where are Report and Jelwer in your list of outtakes? Were they just way too sucky to include?
I kind of already answered your question on Jeweler: All the card does is emulate a Treasure-Action without using those types (which I still think is a bad idea). Given that Crown now does that for real, that emulation is moot. It was the only interesting aspect of the card, either way. I simply took out Report after that outtake post and didn't add it to it later. Both are okay, just too boring to care about. So here goes:

Jeweler, $6 Action-Reaction
+3 Cards
---
At the end of your Action phase or when another player plays an attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, at the start of your buy phase, discard this fand +2$

(Used to cost 5$ without that attack thing)
Edit: Maybe that was better, either way.

Report, 4 $<2>
Gain a card costing up to 5$. Put your deck in your discard pile.

(Used to cost <8>)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:20:11 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:15 am »
+3

Hey guys, I decided to leave forever now. As you read this, I already sent the request to delete my account. The reason isn't lack of self control alone, it's also that I've lost much of the fun frequenting the forums. And yes, a big part of that is having to deal with a guy who seems to hate me. Why lie, right?

Either way, here's my Last Will:

To Co0kieL0rd, I leave everything Seasons. It was a pleasure to work with you, buddy, and your idea to make this set together was genius. It was fantastic to have a share in such an awesome project. Hope to work with you again in the future, pal.
To ThetaSigma12, I leave the right to mock up my cards and apply recent fixes I mentioned but didn't mock up. Also, I leave that right to everybody else, but maybe it means something to you, Theta.
To pacovf, I leave just a big bunch of thank you's. You're one of the nicest, most understanding people here on fds. Just know that I'll always appreciate that.
To Donald X, I leave the right to use all of my cards commercially without any kind of atribution. Which probably won't happen, but there, I said it.
To XerxesPrealor, eHalcyon, Kuildous and GendoIkari, just some more Thank You's, as you're also really cool fds members that I always enjoyed to talk with, not necessarily about fan cards only.
To LastFootnote, I leave another big Thank You for all the feedback you gave me, and the template.
To 461.weavile, I leave special rights to do anything he pleases with my Spellcasters, as those are based on something he did. Similar things go for Sawmill (based on GeeJo's Gambling Den) and Borderlands (based on Fragasnap's Friar) to the respective inspirators.
To everyone else who should have received mention (which are quite a few), be sure that I only didn't mention you because I have to stop somewhere. There are a lot of members that gave very helpful and/or nice feedback to my cards, like LibraryAdventurer, Gubump, Haddock, Nflickner... I'm pretty sure I'll forget about one of you guys, either way. So, everyone who ever said something nice to me or helped me improve my cards (or myself), get a hug from my hugging back. I also have a smaller box of back pats if hugging alone makes you uncomfortable, so there you go. Seriously though, thank you, guys.

Now if you'll excuse me, the wind has turned. I got to go...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:26 am »

Sad to hear somebody is making your life miserable here. I vaguely remember you posting about it sometime ago, I wouldn't have guessed it was still going on. Ugh.

'til we meet on another forum, then. Take care :)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:50 am »
+2

sorry to see you go, you'll be missed

it really seems like there should be a way to get whoever is sending hate mail banned from fds. do we have a system for that?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:21 am »
+4

I, too, would rather the person that makes you miserable removed from f.ds.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 03, 2016, 08:45:52 am »
+3

I, too, would rather the person that makes you miserable removed from f.ds.
Seconded.

Also, I feel bad because all of my posts in this thread have been minor nitpicky criticisms of some of the cards, perhaps not making it clear how I think Asper's cards are freaking awesome.

You're the best, Asper, and will be greatly missed.  Best of luck with your future endeavours.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 03, 2016, 10:05:12 am »

BWAHAHAHAHA I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT WITH YOUR CARDS AND NOBODY CAN STOP MEEEEEE!!!!

Trolling aside, sad to see you go. I'll try to take good care of your cards. If you haven't already deleted them I'd like to have the .xcf versions of your cards if that's not too much to ask.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 03, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »
+1

This is very sad day indeed.  I wish you the best Asper.  I still consider you to be one of the best designers of fan cards, because you valued balance over flashiness (which is why I love Dominion, and judge practically every other game against it.  Dominion has ruined me for games).  Anyways, I hope that you still come back to visit despite your last post.  It will be nice to see you around. 

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »

I'm very sad to see you leave.
Take care, and good luck.  :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 03, 2016, 02:07:38 pm »
+2

Good luck, Asper! Stay awesome!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 03, 2016, 06:14:37 pm »

Good bye, Asper. It is indeed sad to see you leave.  :'(
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 04, 2016, 01:47:38 am »

Yes, Asper had posted about it before. I imagine if the solution had been as easy as just banning the person, it would have been done. Sigh.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.