Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323161 times)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #600 on: September 05, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »
+1

Another fun fact: Empires actually has vanilla bonuses always in bold, even in text.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 05, 2016, 01:02:33 pm »
+2

Another fun fact: Empires actually has vanilla bonuses always in bold, even in text.

that was sensible feedback back then - just as today it would be to say "bonuses are now in bold, btw".

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 09, 2016, 10:55:57 pm »

Latest thoughts:
Scientist seems rather strong at $2. While the debt token hurts a lot more early on than "discard a card" would, it gets practically better than that later. I'll bump it to $3.
Report seems a bit lacking. I'll consider it at $4<3>.
Parting is the same. Maybe it could gain $6s? I'd have to play a Big Money/Parting vs engine game to see whether that's a thing, which i wouldn't like.

About Spellcasters: Does anybody have an opinion on those? Anybody who played with them? Because i'm willing to give them another shot. Either way, i think the Wisdom Spell has to cost at least $2, while Dexterity might have to cost $4. I have also dropped Summoner for now, and there are only 5 Spells left. About Sorcerer, i'm not sure whether it should be a Market that can cast Spells at $6, or a Market Square at $4. Considering how much of the power of Spells depends on +Buys, maybe a buy-less one is more interesting? Like a Peddler for $5? My only worry would be the similarity to Invader, but well, that's no surprise considering Invader is based on an older version of Sorcerer. The Spellcaster i feel most happy with right now is Trickster, but Magician's not looking that bad, either.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:28 am »
+1

About Spellcasters: Does anybody have an opinion on those? Anybody who played with them? Because i'm willing to give them another shot. Either way, i think the Wisdom Spell has to cost at least $2, while Dexterity might have to cost $4. I have also dropped Summoner for now, and there are only 5 Spells left. About Sorcerer, i'm not sure whether it should be a Market that can cast Spells at $6, or a Market Square at $4. Considering how much of the power of Spells depends on +Buys, maybe a buy-less one is more interesting? Like a Peddler for $5? My only worry would be the similarity to Invader, but well, that's no surprise considering Invader is based on an older version of Sorcerer. The Spellcaster i feel most happy with right now is Trickster, but Magician's not looking that bad, either.
You availibe from 7 to 9 your time tonight?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 10, 2016, 08:51:38 am »

You availibe from 7 to 9 your time tonight?
I'm not yet sure about it...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:56 am »
+1

I updated the OP to reflect the latest changes. Have fun with that. I'll try to take a break posting for a while again.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2016, 09:46:23 am »
+6

Another Inquisitor. Bet you didn't expect that.

I didn't plan to name it that way, but well, it's a Witch variant, and a Torturer variant, and a Cultist variant... Which ties in nicely, thematically. It's worse than Witch without trashing, and better in the end if the other players trashed their curses.

I also decided to change the flavor of Scolar/Inquisition for several reasons: First, because i felt stopping the first card with the second should feel legitimate, theme-wise. Second, the theme of Inquisition seemed to fit better on an attack (see above).

More changes:

Investor got changed to not need debt tokens. It now feels more like a variant of Merchant Guild or Plaza. In general, it's the cleaner solution, but it also makes me feel the concept in general is too redundant to existing cards...

Also, Delegate. It just feels like it changes the game in unfun ways too often. I could try to fix it. An obvious solution would be to have it reveal a Province from your hand to end the game, which means you have to get at least one and there's a chance Delegate won't finish the game even if you are ahead. Still, it doesn't feel like a major improvement. I'll just leave it be as is, because i want to do other stuff, but keep in mind it's not 100% supported anymore.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 24, 2016, 11:56:41 am »
+2

I didn't plan to name it that way, but well, it's a Witch variant, and a Torturer variant, and a Cultist variant... Which ties in nicely, thematically. It's worse than Witch without trashing, and better in the end if the other players trashed their curses.

I also decided to change the flavor of Scolar/Inquisition for several reasons: First, because i felt stopping the first card with the second should feel legitimate, theme-wise. Second, the theme of Inquisition seemed to fit better on an attack (see above).

More changes:

Investor got changed to not need debt tokens. It now feels more like a variant of Merchant Guild or Plaza. In general, it's the cleaner solution, but it also makes me feel the concept in general is too redundant to existing cards...

Also, Delegate. It just feels like it changes the game in unfun ways too often. I could try to fix it. An obvious solution would be to have it reveal a Province from your hand to end the game, which means you have to get at least one and there's a chance Delegate won't finish the game even if you are ahead. Still, it doesn't feel like a major improvement. I'll just leave it be as is, because i want to do other stuff, but keep in mind it's not 100% supported anymore.

Because of Defiled Shrine, it seems like Inquisitor should have the Gathering type.

Nightwatch seems OP. It's basically a Warehouse with +$1 added, AND it blocks other players' Carriers, for a measly price increase of $1. I would've priced it at $5, personally.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 24, 2016, 01:05:11 pm »
+1

*snigger*

I would have preferred Inquisitor if Witch didn't exist. I think its powerlevel is less overbearing. Alas...

Agree with gubump that Nightwatch is huh hard to price because of Warehouse.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:28:24 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 24, 2016, 01:09:29 pm »
+2

Because of Defiled Shrine, it seems like Inquisitor should have the Gathering type.

Nightwatch seems OP. It's basically a Warehouse with +$1 added, AND it blocks other players' Carriers, for a measly price increase of $1. I would've priced it at $5, personally.

Backstory: Originally Inquisitor was to be named Shaman and had a Mat. I didn't think it needed one, but where to put the VP? On the Copper pile was the most plausible, but that didn't work because of Aqueduct. Defiled Shrine is far less problematic. It only adds 2 VP, and one of them leaves the pile when you buy your first Inquisitor. You can deal out one more Copper if nobody ever buys a second one, but it's more likely you'll actually deal out less of them. All in all, it just didn't seems a big thing. After all, Defiled Shrine, Crown and Aqueduct already interact weirdly, and if a Witch variant gets slightly worse once in a while, what's the problem? Making Inquisitor Gathering just seemed wrong, because Gathering cards are completely different. I'd rather have it interact (unproblematically) with a Landmark once in a while than always give it a type that doesn't fit. It's not like crown has the type because of Defiled Shrine/Aqueduct.

Nightwatch might be, i don't know. Originally it only sifted 2 cards. I considered adding a reaction instead of the additional sift:

Nightwatch, Action - Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+ $1
Discard 2 cards.
---
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, all players (except the attacker) are unaffected by the attack.

Edit: Although, keep in mind it's not available as early as Warehouse - it's not going to help you skip Estates, unless you hold on to them.
Edit: I'd rather make Nightwatch weaker than increase the price. It should be cheap and nice enough to pick up and spoil your Carrier-playing friends' fun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:15:50 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2016, 11:43:53 am »

First Well and Blacksmith, now Artisan and Mill... Why can't i never be finished? T__T

Also: Inquisitor should probably do something more interesting when played, e.g. fixed draw, and Nightwatch should be a reaction for coolness' sake.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »
+2

The second editions of Base and Intrigue include cards with equal names as some cards i used to have. I took this opportunity to also exchange Blacksmith's name for something that actually befits Cornucopia more:

Also, making Inquisitor and Nightwatch a bit more interesting:

Not sure the loss in sifting actually makes Nightwatch okay with the reaction.

Edited to reposition the "action attack" text on Inquisitor. I didn't update the template, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:14:07 pm by Asper »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2016, 04:02:51 pm »
+1

I like the change on Investor, Craftsmen, Windmill, and Courier/Nightwatch.

I don't like the art on farmer.

I like the art on Inquisition, but It still seems too simmilar to Witch. I think the Action-Attack thing is a little too far down.

Did you forget to rename Diplomat?

I'd keep Diplomat and Extortioner in the OP so people can find them easily.

Does Inquisitor need the Gathering type?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:23:41 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2016, 11:12:20 pm »
+3

Damn! The official card "Mill" IS a windmill... Oh man. I should have checked the images before going through the trouble of picking a new picture...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2016, 11:52:07 pm »
+2

Damn! The official card "Mill" IS a windmill... Oh man. I should have checked the images before going through the trouble of picking a new picture...

You could just call it "flour mill" and keep the same picture as before.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:13 am »
+1

You could just call it "flour mill" and keep the same picture as before.

Or you could call it Steel Mill.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 26, 2016, 02:17:46 pm »
+1

Did you forget to rename Diplomat?

I'd keep Diplomat and Extortioner in the OP so people can find them easily.

Does Inquisitor need the Gathering type?

The card is called Delegate. I don't keep it because i don't want people to play with my cards and think they are uterrible. At least I don't want to have to agree with them. Delegate isn't very fun, currently. It degenerates the game to a turn-to-turn race. Extortioner just isn't interesting enough - you barely ever feel the attack. And Inquisitor does not need the Gathering type. The type implies too much that doesn't have anything to do with the card and the only interaction that would imply the type is ignorable.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 26, 2016, 03:16:08 pm »
+1

Okay, thanks for the response.

I'm still curious what happened to Take 3 Coin tokens, another player gains a Silver.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:19 pm »
+1

Good thing you called it sultan instead of Vassal, saved yourself some work!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 26, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »

Okay, thanks for the response.

I'm still curious what happened to Take 3 Coin tokens, another player gains a Silver.

Argh, i totally forgot i HAD a card named Diplomat... Now this is embarrassing, sorry for that. I removed that one quite some time ago. It just didn't seem well-balanced and i hardly ever played with it, so i dropped it out.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:35 pm »
+2

Mill is now Sawmill. Well, Sawmills kinda manufacture something, so maybe that's not too bad. Also, did you know: Back when Governer was created, there were plans to make a promo for "Power Grid". The game had you produce energy with power stations, including Windmills (which were the only ones that didn't cost any ressources to keep running), and as the author, Friedeman Friese, loves the color green, the promo would have been a green card. Guess what Mill is.

Also, yeah, i am not sure Nightwatch should sift that much:

Is an Oasis that can stop attacks later in the game, but for every player, and can hinder other players getting money, worth $4? Or rather, is the same card with additional sift already too much for $4?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 28, 2016, 08:11:29 am »
+3

I dunno, but it would be cool if you listed all your outtakes. Some of them seemed to have some promise.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 28, 2016, 11:45:49 am »
+2

I dunno, but it would be cool if you listed all your outtakes. Some of them seemed to have some promise.
  I agree :)  Please do

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 28, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
+1

A list of not-quite-terrible cards without images for now:

Diplomat, Action, $5
Take 3 coin tokens. Choose another player who may gain a Silver.

Delegate, $8, Action-Reserve
Put this on your Tavern Mat.
----
At the start of your turn, you may call this to discard a Province, and if you do, the game ends.

Extortioner, Action - Duration - Attack, $3
Until the start of your next turn, when another player buys a card, they take <1>.
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy, +$1

Canal, <6>, Action
+1 Action
+2$
Discard a card.
+1 Card

Heir, Action, $4
You may discard an Estate for +3 Cards.
You may discard a Duchy for +3$.
You may discard a Victory Card for +3 Actions.

Parliament, $4, Action
You may choose an Action card from your hand. If it costs as much as this, play it twice. If it costs less, play it 3 times.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 28, 2016, 01:40:28 pm »
+1

I totaly missed Heir was gone, but Jeweler also seems to be gone.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.