Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323275 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #525 on: August 29, 2016, 04:46:49 pm »

Okay, more fleshed out comments:
Scholar seems a little weak. Peddler is good at , and this costs . That's significant, but not a huge price drop. The problem is it loses it's power too fast. At all 5 copies will empty pretty quickly, and at only inquisition is easily picked up. Once enough people get Inquisitions then Scholar is really bad.

More later.

I don't think your opponent should have to buy a card to stop another card from being overpowered. With Tournament, that card is Province, which your opponent was probably going for anyway. I guess this is more like Young Witch, in that it's power can be reduced by your opponent buying another specific card. But also keep in mind that there's only 5 Inquisitions. You can get at least a couple of them, so there's not very many out there for your opponents to maybe have in their hand at the right time.

And also what if you just buy 3 Scholars and then stop? Your opponent basically has to buy a couple Scholars and a few Inquisitions just to stop your Peddlers from working. And Peddlers aren't all that strong that you want to buy a bunch of cards to stop them; but being able to buy them as your first 2-3 buys sounds like a really fast start.

The fact that there are only 5 Inquisitions is indeed something that bothers me. However, if your opponent only buys 3 Scholars, well, then he only has 3 Scholars. That leaves two for you. In a way, skipping the card for other players to pick up auto-balances it. You go full Scholar, my Inquisition will hit you. You don't,  well, then you get less out of them. I made Inquisition chep to assure stopping Scholars has little opportunity cost, but the concept is still rough around the edges, i will admit. Maybe costing Scholar at $3 already solves the problem, or maybe i can find better ways to have Inquisition stop Scholar. It could be a Duration card and Scholar could check for Inquisitions in play - that would allow any Inquisition you manage to play to harm Scholar, not only those in your turn's starting hand. There might also be more room for interesting effects if Inquisition is a duration card. II'll think about ways to improve this concept.

About the problem of having to buy a card to stop other players - i feel most split piles have that problem, because the cards push each other and you can't let, e.g. Catapult stay uncontested. If you do, you end up with a kingdom where one of the piles is suddenly much more useful to your opponent than you. If you are not fast enough to get your share of the first half, you might as well skip the pile entirely - which makes 5 cards you can't contest without paying much more opportunity cost than your opponent. Unlike Rocks, Inquisition doesn't suck if you have no Scholar - in fact, it's better the fewer you have. So yes, using Inquisition to stop Scholar is kind of the concept, but i agree it's probably a bit unbalanced as is.

By the way, we played with Scientist today, and as its play effect is pretty much better than Stables, it seemed very strong. Maybe i should make the token optional and skip the coin part, i don't know.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 29, 2016, 04:51:12 pm »
+1

What if Scholar gave a bonus to evrybody who revealed one instead of a penalty to you?

I don't know. That would work, but i think most people are more comfortable with a card that is sometimes useless than with a card that sometimes helps their opponents. I do not lean in that direction.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2016, 05:23:14 pm »
+1

This image is amazing! I would classify this as some of the best art in Dominion.

Asper, do you have a link for this image? Could I use it for my own fan cards?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2016, 05:23:57 pm »
+3

[+3 Cards; +1 Action] was one of the first Debt cards, and well, it was crazy at {10}. I tentatively doubt the {1} on-play is a strong enough penalty.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2016, 05:43:17 pm »

This image is amazing! I would classify this as some of the best art in Dominion.

Asper, do you have a link for this image? Could I use it for my own fan cards?

The artist is Rhys Griffiths. Here's his deviantart page for the image. I have no right to say who may use this image and am myself basically just hoping that putting it on a fan card where the fandom is obvious would be okay for the artist.

[+3 Cards; +1 Action] was one of the first Debt cards, and well, it was crazy at {10}. I tentatively doubt the {1} on-play is a strong enough penalty.
Interesting. Although i would have assumed the {1} makes quite a bit of a difference at the start of the game, where that additional card you draw is quite likely to be Copper, making it a Lab (with a tiny bit more cycling), or even Estate, making it a Lab that costs you.
My main point of comparison was Stables. Stables is strong. Also, Scientist never fails and doesn't have to spend a Treasure whole (like Stables would "spend" you complete Silver by discarding it), so it's usually stronger than it (edge case: Potion). Then again, it does cost {8}, not $5. I do lean towards removing the money portion, however, because it adds flexibility where the card is strong enough already. Scientists really don't need to be Silvers once you drew your deck.
Either way, i can confirm it is rather strong, and probably you are right in your estimation. maybe i can implement the concept better - the general idea was just debt-for-benefit, and it doesn't have to be the mighty draw it is right now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:44:51 pm by Asper »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2016, 05:58:45 pm »
+2

Thanks, Asper!
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:15 am »

I think that the coin cost estimate (of course this is anything but precise and jsut a mental tool as we are so used to coin costs) of 8D cards is 6$. So at the first glance it seems to be OK as it is not much stronger but more expensive than Stables during the early game. But unlike Stables which sucks in games with decent trashing Scientist is good in nearly all Kingdoms (Lab is only bad in the presence of draw to X cards).
I'd test it at 8D and 9D.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 30, 2016, 03:03:51 pm »
+3

So, how would Scientist looks as an inferior Lab instead of a superior one?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 30, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »
+1

My instinct says it would be on the weak side, but it might be just fine. It's kind of like a reverse Oasis... you increase your handsize at the cost of a coin; instead of decreasing your handsize to get a coin.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »
+1

Could be interesting. If it seems weak at $3, it might be OK at $2.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 30, 2016, 05:52:56 pm »

As you both suspect it's weak, i could try it as a cantrip that allows you to take {1} for +1 Card, so you'll never be sorry you played it at all. Sadly, that would also create an additional decision to make.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 30, 2016, 05:57:59 pm »
+2

As you both suspect it's weak, i could try it as a cantrip that allows you to take {1} for +1 Card, so you'll never be sorry you played it at all. Sadly, that would also create an additional decision to make.

Nah, I think this version (at either $3 or $2) is way better than giving you the choice.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 30, 2016, 07:01:13 pm »

Nah, I think this version (at either $3 or $2) is way better than giving you the choice.

The more i think about it, the more i feel $2 should be right. It's not better than a bare cantrip at the start and can actually hurt you in a junked deck, while it's highest possible outcome is still worse than Lab.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:07 pm »
+1

Maybe tie Debt to the +1 Action?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:28:38 pm by NoMoreFun »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 30, 2016, 10:22:33 pm »

Maybe tie Debt to the +1 Action?

That's definitely better than tying it to the extra card... Hm. Interesting.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 31, 2016, 09:22:17 pm »
+1

I have no idea how strong this is.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 31, 2016, 09:36:35 pm »
+2

kind of... reverse-Capital. Maybe.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »
+1

kind of... reverse-Capital. Maybe.

I named it appropriately ;)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:45 pm »
+4

I like your cards Asper
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:34 pm »
+4

I like your cards Asper

I like that you like my cards, Roadrunner.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2016, 10:04:39 pm »
+3

I like your cards Asper

I'm glad you didn't leave the forums like you said you would
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2016, 10:10:25 pm »
+2

I like your cards Asper

I'm not sure i'm glad. Currently it's 04:00 in the morning and i have two chapters of my storytelling contract yet to write. Instead i'm posting an event.

About the Event: This is another one from the "this was just too obvious not to try" fraction. Probably LastFootnote already experienced something similar and it was no fun in playtesting. If not, hooray, finally you can have a game where junkers and trashers are actually skippable. On the other hand, maybe it helps big money, who knows. We wouldn't like that, would we?

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2016, 10:41:43 pm »
+2

I like your cards Asper

I'm so glad you didn't leave.  I think your cards are f#$&ing real.  I think you have a great knack at coming up with simple, balanced cards that nevertheless unlock new possibilities that have never been seen before.  Digging your two latest ones alot

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:44 pm »
+4

Asper, you are the best at finding art. And also you continue to make cool cards.

I don't think there was anything like Blessing tested. Like Borrow, it's almost more of a rule change than an Event. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyway it's cool that it's simple. It's not so exciting, but they can't all be the best Event ever.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2016, 12:11:49 am »
+1

I like your cards Asper

I'm so glad you didn't leave.  I think your cards are f#$&ing real.  I think you have a great knack at coming up with simple, balanced cards that nevertheless unlock new possibilities that have never been seen before.  Digging your two latest ones alot

This kind of feedback makes me really happy. It's 06:00 in the morning now and i'm not even tired yet. But i feel good. Thank you for that :)

Asper, you are the best at finding art. And also you continue to make cool cards.

I don't think there was anything like Blessing tested. Like Borrow, it's almost more of a rule change than an Event. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyway it's cool that it's simple. It's not so exciting, but they can't all be the best Event ever.

Thank you :)
I even tried to make the font size bigger for the latest ones. Also, peace with Empires, hooray. Looking back, i was really insufferable when that expansion was revealed. I intend to be less insufferable from now on.

About Blessing, having it be a rule change was what i had in mind. I considered costing it at $1 once, or not giving it +1 Buy, but didn't do those specifically because it went against that premise.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.