Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323172 times)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #450 on: April 23, 2016, 01:01:20 am »
+1

Thank you guys :)
It's good to hear you like the stuff i did :')

It's not out of the question that i'll return when a few of my projects are done, but for now i want to give those my (mostly) full attention. Which obviously doesn't mean i won't look here from time to time and maybe even answer to posts (like i'm doing now), but that's mostly because i'm weak... ;)

yeah, I hope you continue to be weak :)  I stand by my statement on the seasons thread that Seasons is the best fan made expansion, and half of that credit belongs to you!  Thanks for making balanced, fun, good-looking, and creative cards.  I hope that you are inspired when you have more time to make some more :)  I know I have been inspired, and will be posting some of my own cards to add to the possibilities in the Dominion Seasons world. :)  (I already posted one rough idea--"Dragon Hunter" that I will eventually bring to full fruition and mock up).  Hope you don't mind :) 

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 28, 2016, 12:10:53 pm »
+3

Asper's cards are a work of art, and I'm nowhere near as good as him. Seeing as Asper left F.ds I thought it was worth it to change fountain. There's already a landmark called fountain so I renamed it residence. Enjoy!

EDIT: Well (No pun intended) this is useless now. I'll leave it up if you prefer it more than well.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:13:10 pm by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 28, 2016, 02:52:44 pm »
+2

Asper's cards are a work of art, and I'm nowhere near as good as him. Seeing as Asper left F.ds I thought it was worth it to change fountain. There's already a landmark called fountain so I renamed it residence. Enjoy!
It looks great! thanks :)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 28, 2016, 04:08:53 pm »
+4

Man, i have posted quite a bit over the last few days, just not here. Which is bad, because i'm falling back into old habits. Either way, i appreciate the effort of mocking up a card. This means the set stays up to date, or at least mostly. However, Fountain (or Residence) should only allow you to gain a differently named card to reduce the card's use for pile control.

Another card that has become obsolete is Jeweler. It was mainly my attempt at doing an Action-Treasure (gameplay-wise) without having to introduce that dreaded type combination. As now an official Action-Treasure exists, the point of the card is gone.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:22:14 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2016, 09:38:52 pm »
+3

Did you know my cards are a Treasure chest? No? Well, they are. Kind of. Well, not technically, but i tried to use a lot of different mechanics, and all of these came from different expansions, so that's kind of the same thing. Considering i now used all mechanics i intended to use, i'll just state that the chest is now finished. In case someone wonders, here's the key:
  • Base: Assemble, Artificer
  • Intrigue: Sultan, Maze
  • Seaside: Decree, Sunken City
  • Alchemy: Homunculus, Incantation
  • Prosperity: Minister, Hospital
  • Cornucopia: Blacksmith, Mill
  • Hinterlands: Well (aka. Fountain), Meadow
  • Dark Ages: Alley, Necromancer, Iron Maiden
  • Guilds: Sheriff, Politician (see below)
  • Adventures: Hunter, Delegate, Research
  • Bonus: Town

What has been lacking up to this day were underpay, a deliberately political card, and something with coin tokens. As Empires introduced Debt, underpay became irrelevant, so i could check that off. To finalize this collection, here's a card that does the other two things (plus Fountain's new name):

Obviously you can't please everybody with a card that has this concept, so it's fine if you don't like Politician. As always, consider "Asper's Cards" a lab where i try to create new weirdness from classic mechanics.

Either way, the "set" now has 22 kingdom cards, 2 extra piles and an Event, so i'd say it has the perfect size to call it "done".
PS: Spellcasters are not technically part of this collection.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:16:26 pm by Asper »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:01 am »
+2

Asper, I beg you not to call it done quite yet--a new set just came out!!!  Can't you put in a couple more to make it a round 25 cards and complete the treasure chest by including the latest expansion?  :)  This is just a ploy to get you to design more cards, which are brilliant. 

Also, politician is an interesting card--do you think it works well in a two player game?  Most of my games are two player.  I think I like it alot, but not sure until i play it. 

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:15 am »
+1

Obviously a political card violates one of Donald's design principles but I fail to see why a fan card should not violate it. The advantage of political components in games is that they enable the weaker players to hurt the stronger players. So if somebody gets a good start in a 3P Dominion game the match is normally basically already over whereas with political cards the other two folks have a moderate chance to catch up
About the specific card, gaining a Silver is good in the early game but in the middle- or endgame it is only of moderate importance so I'd say that the card is good.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 08, 2016, 06:49:34 am »

Asper, I beg you not to call it done quite yet--a new expansion just just came out!!!  Can't you put ina couple more to make it a round5 cards and complete the treasure chest by including the latest expansion?  :)  This is just a ploy to get you to design more cards, which are brilliant. 

Thank you for those nice words... Sadly, i don't really feel like doing something based off Empires. I'm not sure my opinion might change, but for now that's how it is.

Obviously a political card violates one of Donald's design principles but I fail to see why a fan card should not violate it. The advantage of political components in games is that they enable the weaker players to hurt the stronger players. So if somebody gets a good start in a 3P Dominion game the match is normally basically already over whereas with political cards the other two folks have a moderate chance to catch up
About the specific card, gaining a Silver is good in the early game but in the middle- or endgame it is only of moderate importance so I'd say that the card is good.

I also considered the advantage to be the slightly more creative "Choose another player who may gain a Copper, putting it in hand.", giving the card a more immediate effect that's stronger at the end and very start. Is that more interesting?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 08, 2016, 02:55:02 pm »

Also, politician is an interesting card--do you think it works well in a two player game?  Most of my games are two player.  I think I like it alot, but not sure until i play it.

Sorry, i forgot to answer to this. Well, in a 2-player game, Politician is weakest, as you give 100% of your opponents a choice, and can't choose yourself. I still think it's relatively strong, and in fact i'm not sure whether it might be too strong with more players.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »
+1

Sorry, i forgot to answer to this. Well, in a 2-player game, Politician is weakest, as you give 100% of your opponents a choice, and can't choose yourself. I still think it's relatively strong, and in fact i'm not sure whether it might be too strong with more players.

Either way, I like the mechanics of the card and think it will work quite well.  I think it would be interesting to have a political card that hurts selected players instead of helping them.  Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the art you picked for it.  I think it's because the politician doesn't look very medieval or ancient.  Perhaps a Roman leader would look better?  Just my thoughts.   

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 08, 2016, 08:51:17 pm »

Either way, I like the mechanics of the card and think it will work quite well.  I think it would be interesting to have a political card that hurts selected players instead of helping them.  Also, I'm not the biggest fan of the art you picked for it.  I think it's because the politician doesn't look very medieval or ancient.  Perhaps a Roman leader would look better?  Just my thoughts.   

Yes, the art doesn't fit. I mean, it's a character from a book series i like, but not fitting. If anybody finds something better, i'll use that.

Hurting selected players would have made it an attack, and that would have been okay... But i feel helping selected players is more fun.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 09, 2016, 04:02:49 am »
+2

Yes, the art doesn't fit. I mean, it's a character from a book series i like, but not fitting. If anybody finds something better, i'll use that.

Hurting selected players would have made it an attack, and that would have been okay... But i feel helping selected players is more fun.

When I saw it I thougt it bore a striking resemblance to Havelock Vetinari. Did I guess right? :)

Maybe Diplomat would be a better fit?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 09, 2016, 09:46:24 am »
+1

When I saw it I thougt it bore a striking resemblance to Havelock Vetinari. Did I guess right? :)

Yes, you guessed right. I thought: "A guy who does unfair stuff to keep things in balance and stay in power? I should pick him!"
Sadly, i got no picture that was all well-drawn, colored and medieval-looking, so i took what came closest. I chose "Politician" as a way of saying "It's political, duh.", but you are right the name isn't that good. After all, a lot of existing cards are politicians, including my own Minister and Delegate... Diplomat sounds nice, i think i even have a picture for that.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
+1

Yes, you guessed right. I thought: "A guy who does unfair stuff to keep things in balance and stay in power? I should pick him!"
Sadly, i got no picture that was all well-drawn, colored and medieval-looking, so i took what came closest. I chose "Politician" as a way of saying "It's political, duh.", but you are right the name isn't that good. After all, a lot of existing cards are politicians, including my own Minister and Delegate... Diplomat sounds nice, i think i even have a picture for that.

I like the "duh" effect of Politician, (and the choice of Vetinari as specimen) yet it feels slightly off-theme. That said, everything is allowed in your own fan expansion. :)

There is a drawing of Vetinari in the Ankh Morpork game, it's a bit caricatural, though; and good luck finding a high-res image...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:28:30 pm by Accatitippi »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 09, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »
+2

I even know that game, but didn't think of it... But yes, maybe Vetinari is a bit too off theme. After all, it should also work for people who don't know the novels. So i think i'm going to make it Diplomat.

I picked some foreign-looking art, because it seemed to fit the epoque and Dominion doesn't have that much "same time, different place" yet. Also, corpulent, bearded men with eastern origin stories are well known for giving out presents, or so i heard. I'm kidding here.

I also fixed up some wording weirdness with Assemble, Zombie and Iron Maiden. For those, as usual, look in the OP. That should be it. Hussah!

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »
+1

Thanks--great art, and great design

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 09, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »
+2

Thanks, Nflickner :)

Even though my deck builder still doesn't work, i found out how to align cards in Gimp. So, for you Tabletop-Simulator-Guys:
(Check the "use Back as Hidden" option if needed)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:04:23 pm by Asper »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2016, 08:30:10 pm »

Thanks, Nflickner :)

Even though my deck builder still doesn't work, i found out how to align cards in Gimp. So, for you Tabletop-Simulator-Guys:
(Check the "use Back as Hidden" option if needed)
Thanks for this!  I got your cards loaded into TS now!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 19, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »
+1

Hey Asper,

We played a game today that included Mill and Minister.

The feedback on Mill was: nice idea, but it's 'never' a good time to buy it. it's cheap, but it's obviously a very bad opening buy, right, because well, the diversity in your deck is pretty low. But later, when there is a high likelihood of Mill actually providing good valued cards (4 or 5), you probably have a bunch of good cards already, and are ready to start provincing or something. The fact that it's terminal doesn't really help either at that point. The person who bought the card wasn't dissatisfied with it, but it didn't really help all that much for their deck at that point either. Maybe if it's a peddler with that benefit or an on gain benefit ('now and when you play it *insert effect'), that would be pretty cool. But as it's now, it could use something extra. The effect is cool and awesome, but it needs something more.

Minister was fun. It didn't see much usage, but it served some purpose. Not sufficient to commenate extensively, but it was neither overpowered or underpowered.

Maybe it helps to add that it was a 4 player game, so less turns than usual, less building towards a deck.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 20, 2016, 05:12:35 pm »
+2

Hey Asper,

We played a game today that included Mill and Minister.

The feedback on Mill was: nice idea, but it's 'never' a good time to buy it. it's cheap, but it's obviously a very bad opening buy, right, because well, the diversiy in your deck is pretty low. But later, when there is a high likelihood of Mill actually providing good valued cards (4 or 5), you probably have a bunch of good cards already, and are ready to start provincing or something. The fact that it's terminal doesn't really help either at that point. The person who bought the card wasn't dissatisfied with it, but it didn't really help all that much for their deck at that point either. Maybe if it's a peddler with that benefit or an on gain benefit ('now and when you play it *insert effect'), that would be pretty cool. But as it's now, it could use something extra. The effect is cool and awesome, but it needs something more.

Minister was fun. It didn't see much usage, but it served some purpose. Not sufficient to commenate extensively, but it was neither overpowered or underpowered.

Maybe it helps to add that it was a 4 player game, so less turns than usual, less building towards a deck.

Thanks for your feedback and trying out my cards. Thanks also to the people you are playing with :)

It's interesting you say you found Mill weak. At the beginning of the game, it is usually going to pick up cards costing $3, as it will hit Copper, Estate and likely your other opening buy. That's a bit worse than Workshop, until you realize it provides pretty much one turn additional cycling, giving you faster access to the new card. And every card it gains makes it stronger. So, in my experience, the beginning is actually the perfect time to get Mill.

If you still find it weak (which i hope you won't), try out using six cards -> More sifting, higher chance to hit $5, higher max. Just as info though: Five is a nerf i did because six was too good.

Maybe you had the Rebuild problem: Everybody thinks it looks weak, nobody buys it, as nobody buys it it must be weak, let's buff it. Don't think i refuse to take your experience serious, but i feel that in the beginning you might have underestimated the card and then got it too late to get something from it. It's just that you learn more about a card by actually using it, for the better or worse. Maybe you can give it another shot and have somebody courageous open with Mill (double-Mill?) to see where it leads them ;)
If it turns out horrible, i will take the blame.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2016, 07:07:59 pm »
+1

Next time, I'll combine Mill with a secondary opening buy and see what gives, because I definitely see your point. It's a workshop that gets better, with a small risk associated with it.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:18 am »

I am leaving fds.
So was this an April Fool's joke, or did your plan just change? I'm confuseduled.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2016, 09:40:54 am »
+2

I am leaving fds.
So was this an April Fool's joke, or did your plan just change? I'm confuseduled.

I totally intended to leave fds, but i find myself unable to stop visiting the site. It's pretty much an addiction. I intended to stop because i wanted to focus more on my real-world goals and duties. But my cards are better received than ever before (especially the feedback on Seasons baffled me), and i'd lie if i said the positive feedback doesn't make me feel good. So, i keep coming back, and failing to do what i decided i should do. It's hard to tell how i feel about this :|

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »
+3

You could try only logging to f.ds as a "reward" for getting stuff done.

Doesn't work for me, but you know...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »
+1

You could try only logging to f.ds as a "reward" for getting stuff done.

Doesn't work for me, but you know...

You imply i'm ever logging off ;)

But seriously, i'll try this. Like, with this very log.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:23:44 pm by Asper »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.