Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323107 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »
+1

Okay, so i was thinking: Apparently one of the things i really disliked about Nouveau Riche was the art. I mean, it even has a gap that somehow looks like a scanline... Shudder. Either way, when looking for new art today, i stumbled over a few pics of rich kids, but nothing that spelled out "Nouveau Riche" to me. Then i thought, Nouveau Riche, maybe that doesn't sound medieval anyhow, maybe i should make it "Heir"? It still has that aura of unearned riches, and of aristocracy, that i wanted for a VP-interacting card.

So, how about a name/design change?

Thematic bonus: Inheritance as Estate Interaction now makes total sense. Also, this could be a Baron's heir, or a Duke's. Maybe the Duchess and the Baron had a kid and this guy is who she's holding on her image, maybe it's a patchwork family - you never know.

Love it, although I liked the art on the other one too.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:13 pm »

Okay, so i was thinking: Apparently one of the things i really disliked about Nouveau Riche was the art. I mean, it even has a gap that somehow looks like a scanline... Shudder. Either way, when looking for new art today, i stumbled over a few pics of rich kids, but nothing that spelled out "Nouveau Riche" to me. Then i thought, Nouveau Riche, maybe that doesn't sound medieval anyhow, maybe i should make it "Heir"? It still has that aura of unearned riches, and of aristocracy, that i wanted for a VP-interacting card.

So, how about a name/design change?

Thematic bonus: Inheritance as Estate Interaction now makes total sense. Also, this could be a Baron's heir, or a Duke's. Maybe the Duchess and the Baron had a kid and this guy is who she's holding on her image, maybe it's a patchwork family - you never know.

Love it, although I liked the art on the other one too.

Well, the art also was very baroque, so it was a bit of an anachronism, too. It's a lot of little reasons coming together, but i'm glad you like the card :)
Also, Heir is now officially in the OP (again). Hooray!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 04, 2016, 07:57:00 pm »
+1

Yo dawgs, i heard you like images. So i put some images in one image so you can use a software that acts as if you played a game where you act as if you were a king who acts kingly.

Includes Heir as well as Spells. If you don't know what Spells are: Completely untested stuff, can be bought during buy phase if a card using them is in the supply, and can only be used by those kingdom cards. Buying a Spell makes you take a copy of them to keep next to your deck (for now, exact mechanic still in the works), casting one removes it, the limit of Spells a player can have at a time is 6 Spells. You can have, e.g., 3 "Dexterity", 2 "Purity" and 1 "Glory". No limit on them either, so no one can buy them away.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »
+1

Heir is a great card. :) I used it with Alt-VP. I was (way) behind and had some bad shuffle luck (draw 2 heirs in hand with no vp's, even though my deck was like 25% green), but all in all: good card. Doesn't feel OP from the first usage.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2016, 08:58:15 am »
+1

Hey Asper,

I printed:

Alley,
Hospital
Road & Town (which I *won't* be using in a champions deck...)
Fountain
Jeweler
Sunken City

Any cards of these you are particularly interested in getting feedback on? We are having a dominion session tonight. :)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2016, 11:48:42 am »
+2

Hey Asper,

I printed:

Alley,
Hospital
Fountain
Jeweler
Sunken City

Any cards of these you are particularly interested in getting feedback on? We are having a dominion session tonight. :)

Champion-road doesn't seem too problematic, since you still need to draw a Road before you can draw your deck. It can misfire, and you'll usually want several roads anyway to increase your chances of going off. It would make for interesting games, I think.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:44:21 pm by Accatitippi »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
+1

Scavenger, road and champion deck would be insane, though. :)

But with champion, every time you draw a road, you draw your entire deck. Seems a bit over the top. Might be a fun game, but I am not trying it for now.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »
+1

Hey Asper,

I printed:

Alley,
Hospital
Fountain
Jeweler
Sunken City

A Tabletop Simulator Session? When? Can i watch/join? Edit: Oops, sorry, you wrote you "printed" them. Never mind :)

Most of those have been tested quite a bit. Hospital can go wacky, but only with the right kind of trashing (Forager, for example), and honestly i think redirecting the Page line from Multi-Page-Single-Warrior strategies isn't the worst thing Road could do... So i hope you will have fun with either card you pick.

Jeweler is the only card you printed which didn't have any playtesting in its current form, but that also means it might be too strong. I wouldn't like you to remember your session to be ruined by one of my cards, but of course the choice is up to you ;)

Edit: Fountain, Alley, Sunken City and Town are the ones i personally like most of these, btw.

Edit II: Also, of course i want to hear everything you got to say after that session. Thank you for trying out my cards :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:27:10 pm by Asper »

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #433 on: February 13, 2016, 08:06:44 am »
+1

My most recent incarnation of Forest Medallion is eerily similar to your Hospital now... I swear it was an accident. It has a much different flavor and playstyle, so until it's identified as a bad card, I'm keeping it.

I'm also on TTS every so often. I'm usually content with teaching noobs, but I would enjoy a game with actual players and would put a password on my games.
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 13, 2016, 08:15:09 am »

About Champion/Road, it wouldn't be the first strategy that centers on drawing your deck. At least IRL, you can now say "Here's Road, i'll just put my deck in hand." It's powerful, but it takes a while to get there. Also, no need to play all those Roads for real, just take your deck in hand, saves us time, hooray.

I was thinking about whether pricing Road at $3 would solve the "problem" by making it Warrior-trashable. Problem is, i hate Warrior with a passion, and i know from own experience that it can make games horrible, unfair and endless. Revealing Road, putting your deck in hand and buying one or two Provinces is merciful in comparison to what Warrior games can lead to.

My most recent incarnation of Forest Medallion is eerily similar to your Hospital now... I swear it was an accident. It has a much different flavor and playstyle, so until it's identified as a bad card, I'm keeping it.

I'm also on TTS every so often. I'm usually content with teaching noobs, but I would enjoy a game with actual players and would put a password on my games.

I'm central european time and like to play once in a while. Not today probably, but maybe tomorrow. Should i PM you?
Also, no worry on Hospital, i took inspiration from your Medaillons for Spells, myself ;)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2016, 08:37:32 am »
+1

We played a two-player game yesterday with heir, wharf, port, distant lands, harem, duke and steward.

Heir is remarkably well prices at 4, I'd say. Sometimes it's a dud, even after the +3 cards, and sometimes it really shines. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have included wharf, because that was just insane. But for now: we like the card and think it's decently prized.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2016, 09:51:39 am »

We played a two-player game yesterday with heir, wharf, port, distant lands, harem, duke and steward.

Heir is remarkably well prices at 4, I'd say. Sometimes it's a dud, even after the +3 cards, and sometimes it really shines. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have included wharf, because that was just insane. But for now: we like the card and think it's decently prized.

Hooray, that's great to hear. Thanks for trying it out :)

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 11, 2016, 08:52:36 am »
+1

Played a game with the old Sultan (that costs 4$ and hand-gains) and Harem last night. The combo was crazy and the player who emptied the Harem pile obviously won but despite the crazy combo I still like the card. The new version is probably better as hand-gaining implied that several Sultans could get several Harems in one turn.
Then again this is the single crazy combo with the card and everything else is probably more or less fine, be it with the old or the new version.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2016, 05:35:14 am »

Played a game with the old Sultan (that costs 4$ and hand-gains) and Harem last night. The combo was crazy and the player who emptied the Harem pile obviously won but despite the crazy combo I still like the card. The new version is probably better as hand-gaining implied that several Sultans could get several Harems in one turn.
Then again this is the single crazy combo with the card and everything else is probably more or less fine, be it with the old or the new version.

Well, several Sultans will still gain several Harems with the new version, as each Sultan you play draws the Harem you gained before. It's just that the topdecking makes it harder to draw something else, including further Sultans. I'm kind of glad the Harem combo still works, as, while i usually don't make cards to fit with a name, i really wanted Sultan to work with Harem.

Either way, thank you for trying it out. It's cool you seem to like the last version :)
I made it weaker mostly because Sultan was very strong if you aimed to get a first Province as fast as possible. It's a bit like Tournament in the respect it rewards spending your first $8 on green.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 27, 2016, 08:48:52 pm »
+4

I am leaving fds.

I'm not sure whether i will remove my account entirely, but i most certainly will stop posting here on a regular basis. I don't want to point out individual users that i have grown fond of, as those will know it either way, and i'd forget someone probably. If you wonder, might Asper be referring to me, the answer is pretty much certainly yes, and it might be even if you think "He can't be referring to me, we didn't interact that much anyway.". Please note that i'm not trying to severe any bridges to people i met here, it's just posting on fds that i won't be doing anymore.

Either way, as a last "boom" after (more or less) finishing Seasons, here are a few last fixes to my own cards (including Spellcasters, which are tested very little). Enjoy them and do with them what you like. I'm sorry i can't offer a TS-template, but my TS deck builder is somehow defunct. There is a farewell-bonus-card, Delegate, which is inspired from market squire's "Marco Polo". I leave Co0kieL0rd in charge of any Seasons-stuff, as that expansion was his idea originally. It was a pleasure to work with you, pal.

I will read replies to this specific thread and PMs for at least a little while in case there is something anyone wants to tell me. Best wishes to all of you.

Spells:
Spells one-shot effects that are similar to Events, in that they are not cards, but you can buy them during your buy phase. If a "Spellcaster" type kingdom card is in the supply, 3 Spells are chosen at random to be placed next to the supply and each player gets 5 tokens in that player's colour. During your buy phase, you may buy a Spell, just like you buy a card or an Event, and if you do, you put one of your tokens on the Spell (Spells are not gained and can't be put in a player's deck in any way). A Spell with your token on is "prepared", which means you can have up to 5 Spells prepared. If you have all your tokens on Spells already and buy another one, simply move one of your tokens. To actually use a Spell, you must play a kingdom card which allows you to "cast" a Spell (those are the Spellcaster type kingdom cards). If you cast a Spell, you choose one of the Spells you prepared, do its effect and then take back your token which you can use later to prepare another Spell.

That's all, folks.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:55 pm »
+1

You will be missed :-*

You probably want to post the rules for spells in here too, or at least the link to their thread? I can't read.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:19:57 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 28, 2016, 06:28:04 am »
+1

Thanks, pacovf :)
That's mutual.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 28, 2016, 06:49:34 am »
+4

April Fools? Please?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 28, 2016, 07:05:30 am »
+2

Too soon.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 28, 2016, 10:07:28 am »

I'm serious.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »
+2

I'm serious.
Very sad--I have really appreciated your cards!  Would love to see you come back occasionally when you feel like it :)  I like your final addition too--the Delegate--I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it--but it seems very fun. 

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2016, 05:23:25 pm »
+2

I missed this post, I was wondering what everybody was referring to in the Seasons thread. :-[
I really liked your contributions and many of your cards, and your feedback to my and others' cards too. Farewell, and best of luck!  :)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2016, 05:25:12 am »
+1

Incidentally, I love Delegate. Easily the best fan card of its kind.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2016, 02:14:25 pm »
+1

Incidentally, I love Delegate. Easily the best fan card of its kind.

I completely agree!  What a brilliant design!  I haven't playtested it yet, but I'm excited to. 

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16:17 pm »
+3

Thank you guys :)
It's good to hear you like the stuff i did :')

It's not out of the question that i'll return when a few of my projects are done, but for now i want to give those my (mostly) full attention. Which obviously doesn't mean i won't look here from time to time and maybe even answer to posts (like i'm doing now), but that's mostly because i'm weak... ;)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.