Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 323097 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #475 on: August 07, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »
+1

I was thinking about paddock today, and I wonder what the deal is with the card.

Paddock
Action - $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Gain a silver

So it's a peddler (worth $4) with an additional silver gaining. But, well, if you are playing an engine (and usually, peddler are very good engine cards), you don't want the silvers. But as a big money card, it seems a bith underwhelming at $5. Free silver is nice, but, well, it's not gold.

So it's a very unclear card in what it's role is, and maybe that's the good thing about it. What do other people think?

We also played a game with meadow, but it didn't come into play, unfortunately. So no feedback there.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 07, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »

I was thinking about paddock today, and I wonder what the deal is with the card.

Paddock
Action - $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Gain a silver

So it's a peddler (worth $4) with an additional silver gaining. But, well, if you are playing an engine (and usually, peddler are very good engine cards), you don't want the silvers. But as a big money card, it seems a bith underwhelming at $5. Free silver is nice, but, well, it's not gold.

So it's a very unclear card in what it's role is, and maybe that's the good thing about it. What do other people think?

We also played a game with meadow, but it didn't come into play, unfortunately. So no feedback there.

Paddock was always pretty weak, which is why i took it out and replaced it with Artisan, which tells you to gain a card costing up to $3. On some boards, this might still be either Silver, Estate or Copper, but usually you'll be able to pick up something better. I don't recommend playing with Paddock anymore. I clinged to it in that old form for a while, but it just couldn't keep up.

Meadow is better in the endgame, with alt VP cards, and when you have good trash-for-benefit.

Edit: To get a full view of the current cards, go to the first post in the thread.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:21:31 pm by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:01 pm »
+4

Spells are confusing. I hardly ever play with them because balancing them is a pain. And i don't mean the french word for bread - besides, i prefer cake. As you know, if you don't have bread, eat cake. Just that, the cake is a lie. It lies up to you to check out this new card i made, which uses a mechanic derived from my idea for the "Glory" spell:

Rules: Whatever method you use to determine whether Events are included, do so before you choose kingdom cards. You can also exclude Invasion from your random events. It should never have you end up with an additional kingdom card pile.

The cards are designed to look roman because i made them for Empires (hooray). It offers an alternative way to Victory and i also considered costing Invader at <8> for a while. As you see, that didn't make it. The concept is kind of anti-debt: You pay first, and get stuff later.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2016, 07:47:58 pm »
+1

What about <$2>? or ? Do either of those work?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 08, 2016, 08:02:57 pm »
+1

The cards are designed to look roman because i made them for Empires (hooray). It offers an alternative way to Victory and i also considered costing Invader at <8> for a while. As you see, that didn't make it. The concept is kind of anti-debt: You pay first, and get stuff later.

Love these cards!!!!  I also appreciate your choice of art :)  are you a fan of Total War?  One of my favorite PC franchises.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 08, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »
+1

What about <$2>? or ? Do either of those work?

Yes, they do. But i feel that having only a small debt doesn't do much. It's a good way to balance Marriage, where $7 would ruin the concept, because if you produce $7 already, you probably don't want much Gold anymore; and for Engineer which has a special self-interaction because of its cost. But besides that i think a card/event that uses small debt token counts needs to do something that makes that more relevant. For Invader, i simply didn't see that oportunity, and the complexity just didn't seem like it would add enough. Also, it goes a bit against the idea of the card, because debt costs you more, but gives stuff quicker. I want things to cost less, and delay them (which is not really a disadvantage here).

Love these cards!!!!  I also appreciate your choice of art :)  are you a fan of Total War?  One of my favorite PC franchises.

I never actually played it, i just stole the art. But it's good to hear you like it :)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:25 pm »
+1

I love the idea of building an engine with four or five Invaders in it, and then waiting till your last turn to get all the provinces left so that your deck is thin until then :) 

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 08, 2016, 09:04:42 pm »
+1

I love the idea of building an engine with four or five Invaders in it, and then waiting till your last turn to get all the provinces left so that your deck is thin until then :)

The number of Invaders just limits how many Provinces you can gain at once, so i am actually worried it might be a bit too strong. You can use it for both the mega turn strategy you describe, or for just preparing 2-3 Provinces and gaining them as soon as the pile gets low and your deck starts to choke. Both strategies suffer when your opponent bought too many Provinces first, because then you spent $7 for nothing. Time will tell how strong (and fun) the card really is.

Edit: I might also bump up the cost for Invasion to $8. Then some people will ask, why should you buy that, but asking will be the first step to seeing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:06:50 pm by Asper »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 08, 2016, 09:09:33 pm »
+1

The number of Invaders just limits how many Provinces you can gain at once, so i am actually worried it might be a bit too strong. You can use it for both the mega turn strategy you describe, or for just preparing 2-3 Provinces and gaining them as soon as the pile gets low and your deck starts to choke. Both strategies suffer when your opponent bought too many Provinces first, because then you spent $7 for nothing. Time will tell how strong (and fun) the card really is.

Edit: I might also bump up the cost for Invasion to $8. Then some people will ask, why should you buy that, but asking will be the first step to seeing.

Hmm,  I kind of like the pricing the way it is right now, but agree that invaders could be a little overpowered.  Perhaps it could come with a drawback?  Or a very small boon to other players when you gain it? 

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:06 pm »
+1

Hmm,  I kind of like the pricing the way it is right now, but agree that invaders could be a little overpowered.  Perhaps it could come with a drawback?  Or a very small boon to other players when you gain it?

I will think about it after some more testing. Maybe the problem is that a single Invader already gives you all you need to use Invasion, at least on boards where you don't get a bloated deck. I guess the key thing to balance has to be the Event.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 08, 2016, 11:46:47 pm »
+2

More stuff:
First card is basically something eHalcyon posted, just solved a little bit different mechanically. Original thread is here.
Second is another take at my coin token event.

This ramps the set up to 24 kingdom cards with Empires represented. Including several Events and 2 additional piles, we now have a full Treasure Chest once again - until Donald makes another game.

In the mean time, i got three cool game projects i'm working on/for. And two of those are even paid :D

Either way, if you want to try the cards, here's the TTS-Template. As a bonus, it includes the Landmark i made for the Treasure Chest contest:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:26:25 pm by Asper »

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2016, 12:32:30 am »
+1

More stuff:
First card is basically something eHalcyon posted, just solved a little bit different mechanically. Original thread is here.
Second is another take at my coin token event.

This ramps the set up to 24 kingdom cards with Empires represented. Including several Events and 2 additional piles, we now have a full Treasure Chest once again - until Donald makes another game.

In the mean time, i got three cool game projects i'm working on/for. And two of those are even paid :D

Either way, if you want to try the cards, here's the TTS-Template. As a bonus, it includes the Landmark i made for the Treasure Chest contest:

Very nice.  Have you considered making Bargain cost 6, gain card costing up to 5, gain coin token?  As is, it feels quite similar to Summon.  It feels a little more fun in my mind at cost 6. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 03:24:41 am »
+1

Yay for getting paid!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 09, 2016, 06:13:25 am »

Very nice.  Have you considered making Bargain cost 6, gain card costing up to 5, gain coin token?  As is, it feels quite similar to Summon.  It feels a little more fun in my mind at cost 6.
I agree. Bargain is a niche Event, it is only brilliant (of course there are situations where you wanna rush-pile a 4 and/or just need a 4 instead of a 5) in Kingdoms without decent 5s.
But you are willing more often to overpay for a 5 than for a 4 as there are seldom 6$ Action cards in the Kingdom (and you don't always want Gold when you reach 6).

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 09, 2016, 07:38:00 am »
+1

I appreciate the new cards! Of course, I have to find new art for 2 of mine now since they were originally rejects from your thread.

A few comments: I like the idea of costing and giving on bargain. I think that's how I'll test it. Extortioner seems good, but I still like the name Toll Road a bit better. I originally thought swamp seemed to have to little impact on the game, but I have changed my opinion on that. It still might be useless. Invasion should say "Add Invader to the supply", not "Use Invader". Think young witch. Invader could say "Add Invasion to the Kingdom", but there is no real precedent here.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 09, 2016, 07:48:06 am »
+1

I appreciate the new cards! Of course, I have to find new art for 2 of mine now since they were originally rejects from your thread.

A few comments: I like the idea of costing and giving on bargain. I think that's how I'll test it. Extortioner seems good, but I still like the name Toll Road a bit better. I originally thought swamp seemed to have to little impact on the game, but I have changed my opinion on that. It still might be useless. Invasion should say "Add Invader to the supply", not "Use Invader". Think young witch. Invader could say "Add Invasion to the Kingdom", but there is no real precedent here.

Well, i was thinking "Tollkeeper" first, because i feel attacks are more interesting if they are named to be people. But the only picture i found that fit that i didn't like.
Swamp isn't very unteresting, i know. It's on the template because why not.
About Invader, i don't really know... Young Witch actually adds a card, which Invasion doesn't. Probably "add" would be more consistant still, but i don't want people to think you play with 11 kingdom cards. Hum. Maybe it's enough to just write it on Invader - i could use "add there".

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 09, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
+2

Well, i was thinking "Tollkeeper" first, because i feel attacks are more interesting if they are named to be people. But the only picture i found that fit that i didn't like.
Swamp isn't very unteresting, i know. It's on the template because why not.
About Invader, i don't really know... Young Witch actually adds a card, which Invasion doesn't. Probably "add" would be more consistant still, but i don't want people to think you play with 11 kingdom cards. Hum. Maybe it's enough to just write it on Invader - i could use "add there".

I have a card named Tollkeeper already!

For Invader, I would write "add Invasion to the Kingdom" since events are not Supply cards.

I'm going to talk to you about these cards in more detail soon, ideally after having played games with them.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:46 am »
+1

About the Bargain suggestion: I thought about it, like it and will change the card. Some time in the future.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:08 am »
+2

I think invasion moght even cost $9.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 09, 2016, 10:26:18 am »
+2

How? It's strictly worse than just buying a Province.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2016, 10:28:06 am »
+2

How is 'getting a province for free later, without it interfzrong with your deck now' strictly worse?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:57 am »

How? It's strictly worse than just buying a Province.

Honestly, i have hoped for someone to ask that ;)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 09, 2016, 10:47:14 am »
+1

I'd say invasion is neither strictly worse or strictly better, but since it gives more flexibility than province, it might as well cost more.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2016, 11:00:54 am »
+1

Updates and corrections:

The template includes the rather experimental Spellcasters again, although i cleaned them up a bit to make them easier to play with. Also i suggest using 2 Spells a game, now.

I'd say invasion is neither strictly worse or strictly better, but since it gives more flexibility than province, it might as well cost more.

I changed it to $8 now, because there has to be something Invader does. I will change it to more if it seems necessary, but Invader is a $5 after all.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »

Played games with Invader, Bargain and Extortioner today.

Extortioner is really weak. It's probably better at $3, and likely should even give a +Buy the second turn.

Invader seems like it would be too strong, but i didn't go through with testing it, so we didn't really see its power.

Bargain at $6 is nice and works. Suddenly you actually want to reach $6 even when going for an engine - the coin token is just really valuable.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.