Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55  All

Author Topic: Asper's Cards  (Read 322247 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
Re: Asper's Cards
« Reply #1300 on: December 02, 2018, 08:53:00 pm »
+1

I don't like the idea of Bureaucracy being triggered by other players. A better way would be to make it sometimes beneficial.

How about " When you gain a Victory card, gain it to your hand,  then put a card from your hand onto your deck"

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 03, 2018, 02:34:36 am »

I don't like the idea of Bureaucracy being triggered by other players. A better way would be to make it sometimes beneficial.

How about " When you gain a Victory card, gain it to your hand,  then put a card from your hand onto your deck"

Well, that doesn't solve the forgetting issue. Although as I said, I think it's less of a problem for Edicts, because they are harder to overlook. Perhaps I should just remove it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 03, 2018, 04:22:04 am »

Hum... I already have two other Edicts that use the -$1 token, but I just wondered whether I should also use it for Treason. Making it stack shouldn't provide endless debt (except perhaps if your opponent has a tiny deck and you use Trader, but even then you'd be paying more than them practically always). Nonetheless, perhaps I shouldn't rely on too many different expansions with these? And do I even need Treason to be stackable? Opinions?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 03, 2018, 10:14:49 am »
+2

I think the main problem with treason is forcing people to show their hand constantly. It would be better as an event, I think. And yeah, better if it doesn’t stack.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 03, 2018, 10:31:09 am »
+1

I don't like the new Inflation. The old one was a nice global effect (that arguably shifts the Kingdom more towards engine play) whereas the new version makes all those $2 cantrips expensive and could run into issues in heavy slogs when you want to buy Copper. This occurs extremely rarely, so you could be pragmatic and simply ignore it. But if you care about principles then Copper always costing $0 as a way out of a bad situation is not something you want to mess with.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: December 03, 2018, 12:33:14 pm »

Well, I can say that not once in my life have I bought Copper to get out of a bad situation. Perhaps somebody could fall into that trap, but I think it's about as realistic as somebody buying Donate to lock themselves out of the game. I feel making Knights trash Coppers or Apprentice drawing 3 cards for it is neat. And cost reducers now behave weird. Anyhow, I mostly removed the old version because Fragasnap seemed to be bothered about the redundancy with his Countess. As I mentioned a while ago, I first suggested the Edict mechanic in Fragasnap's thread as a way to make rule changing effects (in my opinion) easier to track. Only recently I started thinking about a cost increasing Edict, and after some thinking it ended up identical to Countess' effect - just, you know, without the Countess. So I guess the effect can't be that bad an idea. I just don't want people to feel I'm going round stealing ideas. If my replacement isn't good either, I'd rather just drop it.
Now that I talk about it, it doesn't seem to have defined behaviour with Potion cards. I don't really want Vineyard to cost $3P. I don't really see much fun had with Apothecary and University, either... About Transmute I don't really care, tbh. Hum.

About Treason, I think you're right. An Event is the way to go.

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 03, 2018, 12:38:29 pm »
+2

Well, I can say that not once in my life have I bought Copper to get out of a bad situation.
It is not something which occurs often in practice (Curser, Looter, no trasher is a situation which can become dire), but, well, there is a reason Coppers costs $0. As I said, it depends on whether you care about principles that only matter in very rare circumstances or not (I am nearly always leaning towards ignoring principles, rare edge cases and so on).

I did not think about all these funky interactions with $3 Coppers so I think that the card is definitely fun to try out.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:51 am »

Argh, I just realized I de-capitalized Supply on Banishment again... Also apparently it should be "Clean-up phase" (capitalized, with a "-") on Monarchy.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:23 am »
+2

Hey Asper, thanks so much :)  I appreciate the template when you have the time.  I use Gimp as well.  I actually am using both currently--I make the main template in the image creator and then I add the picture to the background with Gimp. 
:)

Perhaps you like to use mine:
Querformat 3.3 30. November 2018

The created card-images are 1146px x 768px which is optimal for print by MeinSpiel
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:49:53 am by herw »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 06, 2018, 07:51:48 am »
+2

Well, that doesn't solve the forgetting issue. Although as I said, I think it's less of a problem for Edicts, because they are harder to overlook. Perhaps I should just remove it.

It doesn't solve it, but it motivates people to remember

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: December 10, 2018, 11:14:01 am »
+1

It doesn't solve it, but it motivates people to remember
Depends in your playing group. I don't play with folks who are prone to cheating and it feels kind of weird to have a card with political vibes in a hardcore non-political game. The wording does imply something like, "dudes, create alliances!". Not that this would actually work technically (if Alice and Bob created such an alliance Carol can always make them topdeck) but the vibes are there nonetheless.

By the way, I like the new blue!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:03 pm »
+2

Hum... There really is no pleasing everybody... Perhaps I should make an Event version instead:

Bureaucracy, $4, Event
Put your Bureaucracy token on a Supply pile (when you gain a card from that pile, put it onto your deck).
---
Setup: Each player puts their Bureaucracy token on the Province pile.

It's still mandatory, but I hope a token on the very pile is more of a reminder...?

Also, thanks, I'm glad you like the new colour  :)

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 04, 2019, 07:27:09 am »

I removed Carrier/Nightwatch from the OP. They were never good cards, and even though I'd still like to see a split pile where the two cards don't boost, but harm each other, I'm sure that actually fun cards would be better suited to implement this. There's also the idea of a card that protects ALL players from a negative effect, but this wasn't where it belonged, either.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 24, 2019, 02:32:29 pm »
+3

Some weekly design contest stuff, some other rabble I got lying around...

Split pile from the contest.

Another take on one of my contest submissions.

I have no idea how good/bad/broken this is. Maybe we can talk about it here?

And some other stuff: I don't know... Is it boring? Or broken?

Same here.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 25, 2019, 11:30:08 am »

Contract/Bookkeeper - I made a fan card way back that had the "play a treasure, draw to X" mechanic, and I liked it a lot, so I like this card too.  I think the part I don't like about this, is that there are only 5 copies of Contract, and sometimes winning that split may be really important.  And because it gives +Buy, sometimes you lose the split just because your opponent happened to draw a Contract on the right turn.

Impostor - It looks fine, although a bit transparent that this your attempt at Leprechaun without hexes.  The +Buy is a great addition here, I love that part.

Institute - I'd lean towards "broken", even in absence of TFB.  If you compare to Distant Lands, this is worth 1 less VP, but you don't have to spend time to get it out of your deck.  Also, if they deplete, that's two piles gone.  A nerf I would try is, make it a fugitive instead of a lab.  But I think it needs a bigger nerf than that.

Convert - I think this is on the weak side, because you can't trash estates, which is usually the most important remodel target.  Would it be crazy at $4?

Promenade - This reins in some of the problems with King's court (i.e. crazy with certain actions, swingy because hitting $7 is hard), but fundamentally I just don't like King's Court, so I'm not really a fan.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:18 am »
+1

A couple more thoughts.

What if Contract were an heirloom?  It would guarantee a fair distribution.

And I suggested the Institute should discard a card.  What if it required that you discard a non-victory card, or maybe just a non-duchy?  A tiny bit of antisynergy could make it a little less common for the Institute and Duchy piles to deplete.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 25, 2019, 03:18:24 pm »

I'd probably put Contract at $3 or drop the +Buy. I think with the +Buy it compares really favourably to Coin of the Realm, which is already quite a strong card, and as trivialknot mentioned with only 5 of them they'll just disappear to whoever draws the first one as it has the +buy.

I can't say I'm enthralled by Imposter but I guess it's fine? If it supposed to be a no-hex alternative to Leprechaun then it doesn't have anything like the Wishing part of Leprechaun, which is the fun part for me at least.

I agree with trivialknot about Institute, it also seems a little against the spirit of how Dominion cards are designed given that you'd basically never buy Duchy on a board with this? I know we have Events like Delve but that feels different for whatever reason. I wonder whether Institute would work at 8 debt?

I quite like Convert at $5 actually, upgrading cards from play (Procession, Improve) has always been powerful so I don't see why it isn't here, this can even do Gold to Province which is sick. If it were changed to $4 then it shouldn't be able to trash itself as then it'd be like Feast but non-terminal and can gain up to $6 and can do all the other remodelly things it can do.

Promenade seems powerful but maybe kind of annoying to play? I'm imagining tracking Promenade chains being a nightmare but maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 25, 2019, 04:12:22 pm »

I definitely see the issue of Impostor being another Leprachaun. I mean, I see it now, I didn't before. I like it better than Leprachaun (I like few of the Nocturne cards), but not by enough to excuse it existing when Leprachaun does.

I did consider putting Institute at a point of 8 debt before, because debt doesn't hinder TFB and similar tricks. While I don't think the straight upgrade of Duchy is an issue in itself, I agree it seems too automatic at the current price point. So <8> it is.

For Convert, trashing from play is so much stronger than from hand. I have no doubt this must cost 5$.

I can see the tracking annoyance with Promenade, but I don't see how it's swingy. 7 are very hard to hit, but 8 debt are impossible to not hit.

For Contract/Bookkeeper, I don't actually know whether I like them enough myself. I agree Contract picking up more Contracts is unfun. Also if I'm being honest, I don't like playing Treasures in your Action phase that much, so not sure how much future this has.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 29, 2019, 12:43:48 pm »
+1

Institute now costs 8 debt.

Bureaucracy is now an Event. I don't want it to be too cheap, because if the penalty of having to topdeck Provinces is never chosen, putting the token there at setup is meaningless.

Card from that weekly design contest thread. It's designed as a replacement for Fool, but of course the art is still kinda ugly.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 29, 2019, 01:30:32 pm »
+1

Hey aster I have an idea for your convert card, make it gain a card costing up to 3$ more than the trashed card instead. And then it would be more like the night version of mine. And it might still work for 5$ costing card cause after all it doesn’t give you extra treasure the turn you play it like mine would. And you could make only work with treasures only. You convert an action into a treasure, you could convert a treasure into a better treasure. But you couldn’t convert a treasure into a victory. If you do something like that you could probably get away with keeping it at 5$

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: March 29, 2019, 02:07:02 pm »

Hey aster I have an idea for your convert card, make it gain a card costing up to 3$ more than the trashed card instead. And then it would be more like the night version of mine. And it might still work for 5$ costing card cause after all it doesn’t give you extra treasure the turn you play it like mine would. And you could make only work with treasures only. You convert an action into a treasure, you could convert a treasure into a better treasure. But you couldn’t convert a treasure into a victory. If you do something like that you could probably get away with keeping it at 5$
I could, but it would be another card, and I am kind of happy with Convert. For this alternative version I think Coppers, and later Silvers, would still be the prime target, as it gets you the most out of the 3$ extra and doesn't decrease your Action card density. In a kingdom with just base treasures, compared to Mine, it doesn't cost an Action and can even be played after spending your last one, but falls +1$ short. That seems still similar. And if I stick with some version of Thimblerig, I already got a Mine variant anyhow. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 29, 2019, 04:31:31 pm »
+1

Bureaucracy is now an Event. I don't want it to be too cheap, because if the penalty of having to topdeck Provinces is never chosen, putting the token there at setup is meaningless.

Not a very insightful post, but I think this is really cool!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 29, 2019, 06:59:31 pm »

Not a very insightful post, but I think this is really cool!

Nice! Glad you like it  :)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 30, 2019, 07:28:32 am »
+1

I agree with Gazbag, Bureaucracy looks like a very good Event. I can roughly imagine 3 situations: you ignore it, you buy it shortly before you green or you buy it during building to still profit from the topdecking. And I have a hard time to fathom when you should do what which is always a sign for a good card.

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +147
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 30, 2019, 08:10:04 am »
+1

Hi Asper: I've just started playing with some of your awesome cards (just the Legacy ones so far) and I have a couple of questions. Sorry if they're already answered elsewhere in this megathread!
  • Zombie: can this also be a normal supply pile or are Zombies only used in games with Necromancer? [Update: just spotted that Zombie is listed under Extra cards so presumably the latter] How many Zombies are used? And can they be 'returned', or are they pile-less like the Nocturne Zombies?
  • Loyal Subjects: presumably these are pile-less, like Heirlooms and Shelters?
  • Assemble: can you choose which order the cards go on the deck, or does the Copper always go first (as it's gained first)?
Also is there some way to tell when you've updated existing cards, e.g. recosting them?  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:01:46 pm by Udzu »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.