Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Another one of these  (Read 10952 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Another one of these
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:12 pm »

@LF -- well alright then. :P

;D Maybe Soothsayer could work with some reworking, but I'm talking a lot of reworking. It needs a name change, for one.  ;)

Also, sorry for editing your post. This board moderator thing is new to me and I meant to click "Quote". I think I've restored your post.

Nic

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »

Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. It's been a while since the contests and I don't have time to look through the posts, but I do remember (and Polk evidently does too) that there was at least one discussion about the fact that "safer" cards had much better chances of winning than cards with new mechanics or ones that significantly changed games in interesting ways. I remember many cards that got very few votes (from myself included) because they did something interesting, but were significantly over- or under-powered, even if they could be fixed by simple cost changes or vanilla bonuses. I would encourage people to vote for these types of cards in the new contest, since I personally feel it would result in more interesting results.

Well, that's democracy for ya. Of course, that was the reason I brought up Soothsayer; it was a very original card that likely won because it was fresh and exciting, but now the only thing we can agree on now is that we have no idea how to balance it.

But interestingly, the few playtest reports suggest the opposite of your intuition here.  Apparently the players almost always discarded, all the way to the end.
Yeah, I re-read that thread just now and I must not have been paying attention the first time. I'll just move this discussion to the actual Soothsayer thread.  :-[

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:10 pm »

Also, sorry for editing your post. This board moderator thing is new to me and I meant to click "Quote". I think I've restored your post.

I've done that before...  (in the forum games)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.