Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Rules of Mafia  (Read 26740 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of Mafia
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »

Mostly I think this shouldnt' be linked, but instead should be copy/pasted into a thread so that those rules can't change throughout the game

I agree. This thread shouldn't be the rules we use - it should be a tool for giving mods a standard starting point, and a good idea of what people expect so they can highlight any changes.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2013, 12:10:50 am »

One problem with this thread is that mods who link it at the beginning of a game start of with the rule state as it stood then, but if additions are added or parts removed then the link has changed the rules of the game so that the rules are no longer what they were at the start of the game. This might not be significant that often, but I could foresee an unfortunate situation.

Mostly I think this shouldnt' be linked, but instead should be copy/pasted into a thread so that those rules can't change throughout the game

Good point.  I'm contributing to this thread, for example, but I don't use this post for my rules.  But I'm affecting other games, including ongoing ones.  That's an issue.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »

One problem with this thread is that mods who link it at the beginning of a game start of with the rule state as it stood then, but if additions are added or parts removed then the link has changed the rules of the game so that the rules are no longer what they were at the start of the game. This might not be significant that often, but I could foresee an unfortunate situation.

Looking back on this, I'm not wanting the rules to change, but certain situations call for it.  I feel like I should say more but can't think of anything.

I'm putting in the suggested rule changes, as I don't see anybody complaining.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »

/sign

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:42 am »

I added uncontroversial rule 3.6, about ongoing games.  It's never mentioned anywhere but is a pretty big rule that we have.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2013, 12:50:04 am »

I added uncontroversial rule 3.6, about ongoing games.  It's never mentioned anywhere but is a pretty big rule that we have.

I think the rule is stated incorrectly. A Mafia game generally has the rule that there cannot be discussion about it between players outside of the game thread and official QTs. If you talk about Game A in the thread of Game B, you're breaking the rules of Game A, not of Game B.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:30 am »

I think the rule is stated incorrectly. A Mafia game generally has the rule that there cannot be discussion about it between players outside of the game thread and official QTs. If you talk about Game A in the thread of Game B, you're breaking the rules of Game A, not of Game B.

I would argue you are breaking the rules for both games and have asked players as a mod to stop talking about Game A in the hypothetical Game B.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:26 am »

I would argue you are breaking the rules for both games and have asked players as a mod to stop talking about Game A in the hypothetical Game B.

Well maybe. But there are no rules in, say, the memes thread or on Facebook saying you can't discuss ongoing Mafia games. There's nothing special about other Mafia games - you can't discuss them anywhere.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2014, 11:38:14 am »

Oh, oops, I didn't notice that the rules here say prods are issued automatically.  I thought it wasn't like that.  Since everybody makes them by request, I changed that rule.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2014, 05:03:51 pm »

Here's something that should be done I think : state at which point replacements will be ruled out in the initial rules post for each game. It has been a contested issue recently, and I think everyone would benefit if things were clear from the very beginning of the game.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:21 pm »

Here's something that should be done I think : state at which point replacements will be ruled out in the initial rules post for each game. It has been a contested issue recently, and I think everyone would benefit if things were clear from the very beginning of the game.

Good thinking.

My own inclination would be, anyone can replace in during Day 1. During Day 2, only people who are not in the spec qt can replace in. On Day 3 and on, no replacements.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »

Good thinking.

My own inclination would be, anyone can replace in during Day 1. During Day 2, only people who are not in the spec qt can replace in. On Day 3 and on, no replacements.

I agree with this assessment.  I would expand it to include N1 (for D1) and N2 (for D2).

I would leave it up to mod discretion if the departing player is modkilled or tree stumped or just left to rot.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »

If nobody objects, I'll add that into the rules.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:37 am »

I think it would be better to leave more room for the mod to make case-by-case decisions.  But I guess this isn't really official, right?  Mods can mod the rules how they need to for their particular game?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

I think it would be better to leave more room for the mod to make case-by-case decisions.  But I guess this isn't really official, right?  Mods can mod the rules how they need to for their particular game?

Right. The idea of this thread is that it's a great template, and then mods can tweak it as necessary and notify players of the changes from what is listed here.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »

Alright, I added rule 3.10.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »

Rules rules rules
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2014, 06:26:24 pm »

Rules rules rules

I feel like you just discovered the rest of F.DS besides mafia game threads today...

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:31 am »

Rules rules rules

I feel like you just discovered the rest of F.DS besides mafia game threads today...

I new it existed prior to yesterday, I had just never ventured out there it's truly a magical place.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2014, 10:41:48 pm »

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but I have two things that I think we need to put up for discussion about whether these are allowed or not:

1. Whether or not mods can change the rules in the middle of the game
2. Whether or not mods can make rules not allowing certain types of discussion

I think that they both should be disallowed.  For 1, it can make people's actions useless and some people might not have wanted to play with those new rules.  For 2, you can't say what is too far and what isn't.  I personally only will make something like this in a BM game.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2014, 01:43:27 am »

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but I have two things that I think we need to put up for discussion about whether these are allowed or not:

1. Whether or not mods can change the rules in the middle of the game
2. Whether or not mods can make rules not allowing certain types of discussion

I think that they both should be disallowed.  For 1, it can make people's actions useless and some people might not have wanted to play with those new rules.  For 2, you can't say what is too far and what isn't.  I personally only will make something like this in a BM game.

#2 does venture close to posting restrictions, which is a normal BM trope.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:46 am »

#1 I think should only be permissable if absolutely neccessary - i.e., the mod thinks it is ruining the game. #2 I agree should be disallowed, except perhaps disallowing flavor claiming... although really, just make sure town don't gain anything by flavor claiming.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »

#2 should be disallowed

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2014, 02:43:42 pm »

As someone who has wanted to change rules twice (or rather I noticed after the fact that I had errors in the OP that deviated from my original intent of the setup) I established that I would only change the rule if it did not impact how scum or town would have planned their strategy around.

In both of these games (Arrested and X-shots) the rule change I was considering would have changed how scum would have approached the game. Therefore I felt it wasn't appropriate for me to change the rules.

However, in another game (Modern Community) ash and I changed a PR (EFHW's SK role) because we felt that we designed it too weak and that it needed a buff. This was less of a rule change and more of a setup change, but because it didn't change how people approached the game, except in a positive way toward balance for EFHW, we felt it was appropriate.

So the answer is, it is complicated and should be discouraged but not strictly forbidden.

As for the second rule. Again I feel that it depends. I am generally against posting restrictions but there are cases of where it is warranted. For example disallowing discussion of when people received PMs. Or the obvious case of not allowing quoting of mod supplied information. So there are certainly cases where it is appropriate and may even be necessary given a certain setup modification. I would lean toward staying away from posting restrictions but again not strictly forbid them.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2014, 08:43:01 pm »

The prodding rule says that prods will be issued on request after 48 hours, or on request after 24.  Which should it be?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.