Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Rules of Mafia  (Read 26748 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of Mafia
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »

I was referring solely to his game-saving handball in the World Cup vs. Ghana.  I actually couldn't tell you anything else about his career.

But that handball is the perfect example of intentionally breaking the rules and accepting the punishment in an effort to help your team win.

Or in other words......cheating?

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:40 pm »

Then rule 3.6 should be changed, which I would be okay with.  I read it as "The most severe punishment possible is a modkill."

I agree. How about "Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, which may include modkill(s) if needed."

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »

yeah, I don't think the most severe punishment is a modkill neccessarily. I think that whenever a serious rule infraction occurs, the mod should do something at their discretion that lowers the faction(s) involved's chance of winning. that's pretty much what voltaire said too.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 04:23:15 pm »

sometimes breaking rules occasionally being optimal play is intended to be part of the game, like it is in basketball, and arguably soccer too.

in mafia, I don't think that is intended. It may be true that it currently can be optimal play in certain situations. If this is the case, that is bad and should be fixed.

This is my stance on it. I like the solution mcmc created in DW - intentional rulebreaking may be punished at mod's discretion. Mod retains the power to invent a punishment that will be worse that expected for the team cheating intentionally. This leaves it up to mod judgement, which is fine by me.

Then rule 3.6 should be changed, which I would be okay with.  I read it as "The most severe punishment possible is a modkill."

Again, I just theoretically disagree with you.  Mods are free to do whatever they wish.  If I wanted to kill off 4 townies in Game of Thrones because I was bored, I could, and no one could do anything to stop me.

The rules are, as I see them, covering what a mod should do in an ordinary situation.  If a situation becomes extraordinary, which it could for any number of reasons, the moderators have freedom to do as they deem best to resolve that situation.  They don't need to refer to rule 14.a.II.c.~~.654 to do so.. they can just make rulings without needing to reference any specific rule.

I view these as more "guidelines" than hard rules.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2013, 04:24:14 pm »

Yup. The way current rule reads (as pointed out by sudgy), you would think that the harshest possible punishment is currently a modkill. My suggested tweak above.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2013, 04:29:31 pm »

Yup. The way current rule reads (as pointed out by sudgy), you would think that the harshest possible punishment is currently a modkill. My suggested tweak above.

Yeah, I would support this change!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »

Do you think that we should have a post called, "How to play mafia"?  These rules cover a lot, but they don't actually do a great job of explaining what mafia is and how a game generally proceeds.  Maybe if we had such a thread stickied it would help draw in players who had never played before.

It was already intimidating enough playing my first game here with all the lingo and abbreviations that I didn't know... I can't imagine ever joining a game if I just didn't know how to play mafia.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »

Again, I just theoretically disagree with you.  Mods are free to do whatever they wish.  If I wanted to kill off 4 townies in Game of Thrones because I was bored, I could, and no one could do anything to stop me.

BURN THEM ALL.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:14 pm »

BURN THEM ALL.

No talking about ongoing fantasy epic heptalogies!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

BURN THEM ALL.
I laughed harder than I should've.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »

Do you think that we should have a post called, "How to play mafia"?  These rules cover a lot, but they don't actually do a great job of explaining what mafia is and how a game generally proceeds.  Maybe if we had such a thread stickied it would help draw in players who had never played before.

It was already intimidating enough playing my first game here with all the lingo and abbreviations that I didn't know... I can't imagine ever joining a game if I just didn't know how to play mafia.

I have a game summary in this thread meant for that.  If you think something should be added, I can add it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »

If no one objects, I'll change the rule to Voltaire's suggestion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »

If no one objects, I'll change the rule to Voltaire's suggestion.

I'll do this, and I suggest adding a couple more rules:

Rule 2.4 (all other rules that need to will get bumped up a number):
If the deadline is hit and nobody has a majority of votes, a no lynch occurs.

I just realized this isn't in the rules.

Also, I think yuma's rule 3.8 should be added:

Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread.  A request to /out must only be done via a PM to the moderator.  Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request).  Requests to /out are final once submitted.  There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed.

If nobody objects, I'll insert these rules.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2013, 02:49:15 pm »

Seconded.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »

No lynch at deadline isn't a rule in every game.  That's a setup consideration.  I oppose it's inclusion here.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2013, 04:07:10 pm »

No lynch at deadline isn't a rule in every game.  That's a setup consideration.  I oppose it's inclusion here.

It's almost in every game, and mods can say that it's different in the game thread.  I've only seen two or three games not use it (other than blitz games).

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2013, 04:08:07 pm »

It's almost in every game, and people can say that it's different in the game thread.  I've only seen two or three games not use it (other than blitz games).

I always thought the default was whoever had the most votes at deadline.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

In a lot of games, the mod doesn't say anything, so I think something should be mentioned here.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2013, 04:13:35 pm »

Since these rules are intended to be the default and each game lists how its rules differ, I support including the "no lynch" clause because that is the standard most games use (which is the spirit behind all these other rules).

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »

In a lot of games, the mod doesn't say anything, so I think something should be mentioned here.

Mods should specify every game.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »

Actually, talking about deadlines, what happens when the deadline hits and the mod isn't around, then a majority is hit afterwards?

Also, I could have a couple rules saying that rules are specified in the game thread (which would be deadline length and what happens when deadline hits)

So, for instance, 2.4 would say that deadlines will be up to the mod's discretion, and 2.5 would say that what happens when the deadline hits and nobody has a majority vote is up to the mod's discretion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »

For my games, votes post deadline don't count.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2013, 04:21:26 pm »

Actually, talking about deadlines, what happens when the deadline hits and the mod isn't around, then a majority is hit afterwards?

Also, I could have a couple rules saying that rules are specified in the game thread (which would be deadline length and what happens when deadline hits)

So, for instance, 2.4 would say that deadlines will be up to the mod's discretion, and 2.5 would say that what happens when the deadline hits and nobody has a majority vote is up to the mod's discretion.

In that scenario, I think it's extremely clear that only votes up until the deadline count. So whatever the rules for "no majority" are in that game would take affect.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:20 pm »

In that scenario, I think it's extremely clear that only votes up until the deadline count. So whatever the rules for "no majority" are in that game would take affect.

That's what I thought.

So, these are the rules I'm thinking of putting on there:

2.4. The length of deadlines is up to the mod's discretion.
2.5. What happens when the deadline is hit and nobody has a majority of votes is up to the mod's discretion.

3.8. Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread.  A request to /out must only be done via a PM to the moderator.  Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request).  Requests to /out are final once submitted.  There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »

One problem with this thread is that mods who link it at the beginning of a game start of with the rule state as it stood then, but if additions are added or parts removed then the link has changed the rules of the game so that the rules are no longer what they were at the start of the game. This might not be significant that often, but I could foresee an unfortunate situation.

Mostly I think this shouldnt' be linked, but instead should be copy/pasted into a thread so that those rules can't change throughout the game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.