Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Rules of Mafia  (Read 26708 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
Rules of Mafia
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:57 am »

Basic Mafia Ruleset

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun!  Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Please read The Civility Pledge before signing up for any mafia game on this site.  If you have not /pledged there, you cannot play.

Excessive personal attacks or uncivil behavior may be dealt with by modifiers or modkills.

Game Summary:

Mafia is a social deduction game.  There is an "informed minority" (the mafia) and an "uninformed majority" (the town).  The mafia know who each other are, and are trying to be the only people left alive.  The town doesn't know who anybody else is, and are trying to find and lynch all of the mafia.  The mafia, to make sure the town doesn't know who they are, must pretend to be town to win.  The mafia usually can kill at night, to help them in being the only ones left alive.

1. General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to all mods by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If we do not receive your PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.  If your Night action was mandatory, it will be decided randomly.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mods know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

2. Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until the mods lock the thread; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. The length of deadlines is up to the mod's discretion.
5. What happens when the deadline is hit and nobody has a majority of votes is up to the mod's discretion.
6. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax! Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
7. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
8. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post in the game or in Quicktopics. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent.
10. If the thread is locked, you may not post.  Threads can be locked for various reasons, but no matter what the reason, you may not post.  The mod may forget to lock the thread, but if they say it is locked, it is still locked.
11. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post. Mods will not edit posts for you.

3. Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

1. Bold, colored text is reserved for the Mods.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mods privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mods may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mods so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request after 24 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 2 times is subject to replacement under rule 3.10 without further notice.
6. Please do not discuss ongoing games, it can unintentionally affect the other game.
7. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, which may include modkill(s) if needed.
8. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
9. Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread.  A request to /out must only be done via a PM to the moderator.  Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request).  Requests to /out are final once submitted.  There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed.
10. If a player wants to /out, they may be replaced by anyone on D1-N1.  On D2-N2, no one from the speccy may replace the player.  After this, a player who /outs may not be replaced.  It is up to the mod's discretion whether to modkill the player or do something else under these circumstances.

Helpful Links:

Wiki Links:

--Main Wiki Page

--Newbie Guide

--Frequently Asked Questions

--Commonly Used Abbreviations

--Mafia Theory

Forum Links:

--Vacation/Limited Access announcements

--Mafia Lingo/Dictionary
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:22:50 pm by sudgy »
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of Mafia
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:19 am »

I realized, why do we not have the rules of normal mafia on here?  And why do we post every single rule even though they are mostly the same in each game?  That's what this thread is for.  Instead of listing all the rules in each game, all the rules (and a few new ones for basic mafia rules) will be posted here, and mods may just link here and say the few differences from the normal rules to here.  Any changes to rules can be refered to as "Rule 2.4" (which is how to vote).  Any feedback to all of this, especially the game summary as it was written from scratch, would be helpful.  I'll move this paragraph into the second post when a fair bit of people have seen the thread.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:14:20 pm by sudgy »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:43:19 pm »

And then absolutely nobody says anything...  Is it because it's so amazing you don't have any comments, that it's so horrible you ignored it, or you just plain didn't feel like saying anything?

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »

This is great sudgy.  It will streamline things quite a bit.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 02:27:58 pm »

yep yep yep, good idea. I'll just link this when modding.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 05:57:52 pm »

Also, note, no deadline length rules are here, as that changes from game to game.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:43:46 pm »

I added a thread lock rule, 2.8.  If anybody has a suggestion as to how to word it better if needed, please say so.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:40:12 pm »

I added a thread lock rule, 2.8.  If anybody has a suggestion as to how to word it better if needed, please say so.

Worded fine, but I would add that threads can be locked for 1. nights 2. for civility issues or 3. pre-game setup 4. for other things that may occur (mod-confirmation, mistakes, etc...) but that any lock for any reason prohibits posting

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:09:53 pm »

Worded fine, but I would add that threads can be locked for 1. nights 2. for civility issues or 3. pre-game setup 4. for other things that may occur (mod-confirmation, mistakes, etc...) but that any lock for any reason prohibits posting

I felt listing the reasons was too clunky, so I just said that no matter what the reason...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:22:48 am »

/t to the ag.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:35 am »

I like that a lot of this is my edits to old versions.  +1
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 02:11:18 am »

I actually used the rules for NMIV as a guideline, which in turn were taken from NMIII.  I don't know about before that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:14:33 am »

I actually used the rules for NMIV as a guideline, which in turn were taken from NMIII.  I don't know about before that.

The Golden Rule as written was me.  Some of the other language I had tightened up.  It's good to have in one place.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:04:46 pm »

Do you think this should get stickied?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »

Do you think this should get stickied?
Yes. Robz? Galz?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

I think a new rule should be added: "If someone purposely breaks a rule thinking it will benefit his faction, his faction automatically loses."

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »

I think a new rule should be added: "If someone purposely breaks a rule thinking it will benefit his faction, his faction automatically loses."

I was wanting feedback on this before putting it in, just so you know.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »

I'm like that rule, although, it really should never be a good idea to purposely break a rule.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »

I disagree.  Any ruling that would result in an entire faction losing is sensitive enough that it should absolutely be handled on a case-by-case basis.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:56:36 pm »

I disagree.  Any ruling that would result in an entire faction losing is sensitive enough that it should absolutely be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Think of this: "I'm going to break a rule so that I will be modkilled, and I think my flip will help my faction."  This should definitely be discouraged, and doing this will make them not want to do that.  If somebody says they hate the game and break a rule in the hopes of getting their faction to lose, then just they will be modkilled.  Of course it would be case by case and mods should only invoke the rule if they think it's severe enough, but sometimes the penalty needs to be worse than a modkill, since some players think that them dying is good.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:16 pm »

I kind of see what situations you're talking about.  Imagine a situation with 4 people:  1 scum, 1 cop, 2 VTs.  The cop has a successful investigation on mafia.  He claims his result, breaks a rule to get mod-killed, so the VT's know he's telling the truth, then lynch mafia.  Yes, that sort of situation should be stopped.  But I don't think we need this rule for that situation... moderators already have the power to handle it appropriately.  And whether or not that should result in a faction loss is unclear.  Perhaps it results in a mod-kill with no flip?  I'm not sure, and I don't think we should have a rule that definitively says this one way or the other.

If anything, this rule takes away power from the moderators, which I'm not in favor of.  They should have the ability to handle any situation that arises in their games how they best decide, not based on some pre-set rule that was written for extreme situations without knowing exactly what those extreme situations are.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »

I kind of see what situations you're talking about.  Imagine a situation with 4 people:  1 scum, 1 cop, 2 VTs.  The cop has a successful investigation on mafia.  He claims his result, breaks a rule to get mod-killed, so the VT's know he's telling the truth, then lynch mafia.  Yes, that sort of situation should be stopped.  But I don't think we need this rule for that situation... moderators already have the power to handle it appropriately.  And whether or not that should result in a faction loss is unclear.  Perhaps it results in a mod-kill with no flip?  I'm not sure, and I don't think we should have a rule that definitively says this one way or the other.

If anything, this rule takes away power from the moderators, which I'm not in favor of.  They should have the ability to handle any situation that arises in their games how they best decide, not based on some pre-set rule that was written for extreme situations without knowing exactly what those extreme situations are.

I see where our misunderstanding comes in, you say the mods have all power, I say that mods only have power from the rules.  I'll wait for a few more people to weigh in on the rule.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:09 pm »

there is no rule that says "if you do this, you will be modkilled". All of the rules, if broken, should be punished in a way that hurts that player's faction. If a modkill helps that player's faction, then that is not the appropriate punishment.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:16 pm »

I personally feel this sort of situation is covered by the Civility Pledge - namely, we're here to play a game, and anyone intentionally breaking rules to get their faction to win isn't being sportsmanlike.

Basically this situation is extremely tricky to deal with as a "rule" - it comes more down to the players agreeing not to do this sort of thing, and the moderator having the power to issue one-off rulings/punishments as (s)he sees fit to maintain this environment.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »

Have we experienced a player blatantly breaking game rules? I don't think this is something we need to be prepared for and if it happens the moderator should deal with it. But I seriously doubt such a rule will be needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.