Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What is your favorite village in Dominion?  (Read 12616 times)

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite village in Dominion?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
+2

Vanillage.

Replying to myself to actually explain why besides the name. Vanillage is a great card because it teaches opportunity cost. It has literally no other function than allowing you to play more Actions (deck-stacking edge cases aside). In nearly all cases, when you buy a Vanillage, you are passing up the opportunity to buy some other useful card. This doesn't apply to cards like Worker's Village.

Note: This also applies to Walled Village; and I'm also quite partial to Mining Village, since the trash-for-$2 option causes some really interesting decisions.

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »

This dude is a Village Idiot. Plain and simple. And he called Chapel the worst card in the game, which is simply not true. It was hard for me to believe that this guy was actually serious about his strategy - how could he have gotten Colony in his hand if he bought nothing but Village?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »
+7

This dude is a Village Idiot. Plain and simple.

No, the dude is a comedian.

And he called Chapel the worst card in the game, which is simply not true. It was hard for me to believe that this guy was actually serious about his strategy

He wasn't.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:09 pm »
+4

This dude is a Village Idiot. Plain and simple. And he called Chapel the worst card in the game, which is simply not true. It was hard for me to believe that this guy was actually serious about his strategy - how could he have gotten Colony in his hand if he bought nothing but Village?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »
+3

King's Court - Scout
King's Court - Lookout
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 08:58:02 pm »
+9

A village is any card that gives +2 Actions.

Crossroads is a Sad Panda.

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 01:42:09 am »
+4

OK, I looked at that again, and I realize that's a joke now - he breaks so many rules about the game (for instance, including the fact that you can buy Copper with 0) that it's obvious that he knows he's doing it. I know as well that I'm Autistic, and thus have trouble detecting sarcasm, especially if it's especially well masked like this was. In the future, I'd appreciate it if I wasn't Socially Awkward Pengined.

Of course, one of the things I hate the most is when people are dead serious or purposefully misleading about something that logic or math can prove is flat out wrong. I had to deal with that last night - my younger brother wanted to watch a marathon of a show with almost 24 hours of content, and he staunchly insisted, despite all the evidence clouding around him, that a 14-hour video of all the content was on Youtube. I have a particular hatred for these things because they just create too much confusion and can be extremely misleading to those who don't know.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 07:08:29 am »

Workers Village used to be my undisputed number one favourite village but now I'm wondering if Wandering Minstrel has stolen my hart with a song of interest and reliability.

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 09:27:53 am »

On a board with FV, WV WM, BV, no trashing and a good smithy variant, I think I would mostly ignore Fishing Village and concentrate on getting a mixture of the other three. Wandering Minstrel would make up for the fact that there's no trashing, Worker's Village for all my +Buy, and Border Village's whenever I got $6.
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 09:36:10 am »

One thing I've noticed about Vanillage: because it's so inexpensive, it often brings out the notion of an actual village split. I don't remember ever thinking "Ach I've lost the Bazaar split 7-3", but I will see it like that for Vanillage. Fishing Village already gives so many actions. Shanty Town has problems when you get too many. Hamlet makes you discard in order to get the extra action. The $4+ cost villages are usually available when you want them.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 11:53:18 am »

One thing I've noticed about Vanillage: because it's so inexpensive, it often brings out the notion of an actual village split. I don't remember ever thinking "Ach I've lost the Bazaar split 7-3", but I will see it like that for Vanillage. Fishing Village already gives so many actions. Shanty Town has problems when you get too many. Hamlet makes you discard in order to get the extra action. The $4+ cost villages are usually available when you want them.

Actually I find this happens most often with Fishing Village.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »

On a board with FV, WV WM, BV, no trashing and a good smithy variant, I think I would mostly ignore Fishing Village and concentrate on getting a mixture of the other three. Wandering Minstrel would make up for the fact that there's no trashing, Worker's Village for all my +Buy, and Border Village's whenever I got $6.

In the case you describe, I think BV is the one I would leave out. WM is good for sifting, as you say. WV for +Buy (unless I have a better source, e.g. Margrave). Then I favour FV for added reliability and lower cost. BV competes with Gold and its benefit is less important if I am already loaded with other villages. I might take it if the draw card is $5 and I hit $6 before getting my first copy of it. I might also take BV if there is TfB. But yeah, with lots of cheap villages and draw, I would rather have the Gold so that there is something good to draw.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 12:43:22 pm »

Actually I find this happens most often with Fishing Village.
It kinda happens with Fishing Village, but Fishing Village decks naturally support more terminals than decks with other villages. With vanilla Village, I really get the sense of "Gosh, I only have 3 villages. That's just not enough to do what I was hoping to do" sometimes.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:01 pm »
+2

OK, I looked at that again, and I realize that's a joke now - he breaks so many rules about the game (for instance, including the fact that you can buy Copper with 0) that it's obvious that he knows he's doing it. I know as well that I'm Autistic, and thus have trouble detecting sarcasm, especially if it's especially well masked like this was. In the future, I'd appreciate it if I wasn't Socially Awkward Pengined.

Of course, one of the things I hate the most is when people are dead serious or purposefully misleading about something that logic or math can prove is flat out wrong. I had to deal with that last night - my younger brother wanted to watch a marathon of a show with almost 24 hours of content, and he staunchly insisted, despite all the evidence clouding around him, that a 14-hour video of all the content was on Youtube. I have a particular hatred for these things because they just create too much confusion and can be extremely misleading to those who don't know.
I'm really really sorry about that; I read your previous post as having a somewhat condescending tone, so that's how I responded.  If you'd like, I can take it down.

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 11:59:44 pm »
+1

(Soc Awk Peng)

I'm really really sorry about that; I read your previous post as having a somewhat condescending tone, so that's how I responded.  If you'd like, I can take it down.
Well, yes, I would agree that I was being condescending. When I initially saw the video (and I actually stopped when he said the worst card was Chapel and didn't even see the terrible strategy he did with it), I saw a guy who clearly didn't know how to play Dominion and yet hubristically pretended he did, and I didn't think that was funny at all and thought lower of him. You were right to call me out - but I felt that using a meme like that was a little too much. I forgive you for that. :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 02:36:20 am »

(Soc Awk Peng)

Well, yes, I would agree that I was being condescending. When I initially saw the video (and I actually stopped when he said the worst card was Chapel and didn't even see the terrible strategy he did with it), I saw a guy who clearly didn't know how to play Dominion and yet hubristically pretended he did, and I didn't think that was funny at all and thought lower of him. You were right to call me out - but I felt that using a meme like that was a little too much. I forgive you for that. :)

Also, just to clarify, you can indeed buy a Copper with $0. As far as I know, he never breaks any of the rules of the game, he just plays purposely terribly.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ace539

• Pawn
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

I've played a bunch of games with plaza now, and I'm surprised how strong it is.... but you can't top drawing a council room and militia and realizing you still have actions from your fishing village the turn before.... besides orange cards are the coolest looking

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07:49 pm »

It kinda happens with Fishing Village, but Fishing Village decks naturally support more terminals than decks with other villages.
That's only true if you aren't drawing your deck (or most of it). If you are, then FV can only supply 2 actions per turn, same as other villages. It's more reliable, but sometimes that's only minor.

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
+3

besides orange cards are the coolest looking
Yes, they are. Nothing says "Look at my powerful deck" like some orange cards out in front of you like construction signs. :) The color choices in Dominion are great - let's run through them:
  • Action: White - The card you'll be using the most, and thus the most generic looking
  • Treasure: Yellow - All that gold running through your fingers
  • Victory: Green - Plays very much into the idea of land, and victory in this game is quiet and unsuspecting, much like the color green itself
  • Reaction: Blue - Blue is unspoken, subverted, ready to jump from the shadows at a moment's notice
  • Curse: Purple - The color of evil and despair. 'Nuff said.
  • Ruins: Brown - Not evil, per se, so much as useless. Like dirt or ash.
  • Shelter: Red - I actually don't like this color choice as much...
  • Duration: Orange - Nothing says "permanence" like a nice bright construction zone color

Wrclass

• Young Witch
  • Dominion is the best game ever
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »

In the case you describe, I think BV is the one I would leave out. WM is good for sifting, as you say. WV for +Buy (unless I have a better source, e.g. Margrave). Then I favour FV for added reliability and lower cost. BV competes with Gold and its benefit is less important if I am already loaded with other villages. I might take it if the draw card is $5 and I hit $6 before getting my first copy of it. I might also take BV if there is TfB. But yeah, with lots of cheap villages and draw, I would rather have the Gold so that there is something good to draw.

Now that I think about it, your right.

Does anybody want to play that board on Goko?
I play Lookout, revealing a Fortress, a Tunnel and a Gold.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »
+6

besides orange cards are the coolest looking
Yes, they are. Nothing says "Look at my powerful deck" like some orange cards out in front of you like construction signs. :) The color choices in Dominion are great - let's run through them:
  • Action: White - The card you'll be using the most, and thus the most generic looking
  • Treasure: Yellow - All that gold running through your fingers
  • Victory: Green - Plays very much into the idea of land, and victory in this game is quiet and unsuspecting, much like the color green itself
  • Reaction: Blue - Blue is unspoken, subverted, ready to jump from the shadows at a moment's notice
  • Curse: Purple - The color of evil and despair. 'Nuff said.
  • Ruins: Brown - Not evil, per se, so much as useless. Like dirt or ash.
  • Shelter: Red - The "we ran out of colors" card
  • Duration: Orange - Nothing says "permanence" like a nice bright construction zone color
Fixed it for you.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »

(Soc Awk Peng)

Also, just to clarify, you can indeed buy a Copper with $0. As far as I know, he never breaks any of the rules of the game, he just plays purposely terribly.

At the end of the Chapel segment, he says that all he has is a Chapel and that he can't buy anything.  If you take that literally, it suggests that you can't buy Copper.
Well you *do* need a signature...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 09:17:41 pm »

OMGOSH utah construction... shudder.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:03 am »

(Soc Awk Peng)

His opponent breaks a ton of rules. In the second "Example" you can see his cards and he's just making stuff up. His last "I buy a Province" is just not possible even with perfect shuffle luck.

I linked the video for the "I would buy Village if it cost seven!" quote. I didn't intend for this whole thing to come up. I just think this video is hilarious.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.