Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  All

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 66672 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor
« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2015, 01:34:06 pm »

I first thought keeping Abi and booting PG was a mistake for Savage/Tasha, but the more I think about it, the more confident I am it was smart. I think getting rid of Abi could very well have resulted in a return to the status quo: Woo/PG/Varner vs. Tasha/Savage. Booting PG essentially allowed them to create a future victim in Woo, or POSSIBLY Abi next time. That's the only way for them to survive... they can't win challenges.

Abi is so much fun to watch. She's totally insane.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 22, 2015, 11:10:33 am »

I did a draft with a friend before yesterdays episode, the rules were

not voted out = 1p
making final 3 = 3p
winning = 6p

winning individual immunity 1p

finding idol 2p
using idol when would be eliminated 2p
eliminated not using the idol -2p

and we went ABBAABBAABBAABBA, he picked first.

Whose side do you like, any commets or criticisms for the picks? I think he might have gotten the better team, although I can't pinpoint where I went wrong. My team will be in a world of hurt in immunities, which is certainly not optimal for this setup.

Friend: jeremy, terry, savage, joe, ciera, monica, kimmi, kelly wiggle

Me: kelly wentworth, spencer, tasha, fishback, kass, keith, abi, woo

Just watched the episode, it was very good! Blindsides are always fun.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 22, 2015, 11:32:14 am »

I did a draft with a friend before yesterdays episode, the rules were

not voted out = 1p
making final 3 = 3p
winning = 6p

winning individual immunity 1p

finding idol 2p
using idol when would be eliminated 2p
eliminated not using the idol -2p

and we went ABBAABBAABBAABBA, he picked first.

Whose side do you like, any commets or criticisms for the picks? I think he might have gotten the better team, although I can't pinpoint where I went wrong. My team will be in a world of hurt in immunities, which is certainly not optimal for this setup.

Friend: jeremy, terry, savage, joe, ciera, monica, kimmi, kelly wiggle

Me: kelly wentworth, spencer, tasha, fishback, kass, keith, abi, woo

Just watched the episode, it was very good! Blindsides are always fun.

I think you might actually have the better team. You have more of the people I expect to go far, and even win the game. I think Kass and Kelley Wentworth are probably the most likely winners--they are non-threatening, well-liked members of a strong, majority alliance, and have gotten good screen-time and confessionals (Ciera doesn't have this last key ingredient). Kelley even has a secret idol. Keith is likewise likely to go far. Spencer and Tasha have  gotten vastly disproportionate screen time, which suggests to me they may stick around (Tasha might be rejoining that majority alliance post-merge, even).

Your biggest problem is that you are going to lose individual immunity challenges, and Abi and Woo are probably the next most likely people to depart. The sooner the merge, the better for you.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #328 on: October 22, 2015, 02:20:55 pm »

Oh man, this episode made me so happy. No tribe switch, meaning that they're going to stick with three tribes for a bit longer. I really really want them to go into a merge with 3 tribes. Angkor didn't lose, so less risk of them just dying before a merge happens.

And Monica, I never liked her in her first season, I didn't like that they brought her back, and I've always thought she was overrated. Then to see her get blindsided for saying some things that just seemed really awful. It was so satisfying. Like, you could kind of see it coming, but I didn't care, I just knew it was going to happen and I enjoyed every second of watching it ;D

But my favorite part of the episode was Spencer catching fish. Man, he's living my dream so hard out there. <3 <3 <3 Spencer <3 <3 <3

I think Jeremy is the only person on your friend's team with a real shot of winning the game, btw.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »
+2

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2016, 11:23:17 pm »
+1

"You make your own [shuffle] luck." - Neal
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:24 pm »

Any body watching? I thought this season was bad, then it got good, now it's bad again.

And I mostly blame production. The incessant medical evacuations are TERRIBLE, and it's totally production's fault. It's detracting from the most interesting narratives. Like, take better care of the players, sheesh.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »

Is anybody still watching survivor? new season tonight!
Go, and do likewise.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2018, 04:17:12 pm »

Yep!

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2018, 10:36:31 am »

Yep!

What did you think of the episode last night? I was skeptical of the ghost island theme at first but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would last night.  My favorite part of the episode was stephanie knowing exactly who jacob was and what she needed to say to him in order for him to spill all his secrets from ghost island hahaha
Go, and do likewise.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:50 am »

Yep!

What did you think of the episode last night? I was skeptical of the ghost island theme at first but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would last night.  My favorite part of the episode was stephanie knowing exactly who jacob was and what she needed to say to him in order for him to spill all his secrets from ghost island hahaha

----------------SPOILERS-------------------------------------

Yep! Loved the episode, I'm not a fan of the ghost island theme but I'm so happy to not have tribe themes I am willing to overlook the constant selling of "authentic survivor memorabilia". This coming from a guy who bought his wife buffs. It's like I like the show, I remember the moments I recognize the artifacts, I don't need them shoving it in my face though.

On to the players! Really like the group of people they got. It seems there is a good blend of "fans", "I'm here for the experience" and "I'm here to win" archetypes which I think makes for really interesting dynamics.

I found it very interesting that we had two players both make a fake idol, both tell people, and both not think through what that meant. It's literally the opposite of the golden idol rule (tell no one ever). Jakob absolutely got himself voted out, there was zero longevity to his plan as he can't actually play the idol. Even if the "plan" get them not to vote him one tribal, if he doesn't play it, he gets voted out next because he has an idol he's holding on to, if he does play it, jeff throws it in the fire and then he gets voted out next tribal. On the other tribe the construction manager did a great job finding an idol, but then goes off and makes a fake idol to show cross wearing pretty boy(i'll get their names eventually). What in the world does he think this is going to do. In effect the fake idol is identical to the real idol, the only difference is he can give pretty boy the fake idol to screw him over, but he would need a majority vote at that point anyway and the ruse is pointless. He literally threw away the advantage he gained by revealing to someone he knows wants him out he has an idol.

I absolutely could not stand gonzales and was so glad she went home. Another player that made a move not thinking through what it meant. I think it's likely she was going home anyway but if not, the "discussion" she had at tribal made zero sense. What is she hoping to check, who people are voting for? She's not pushing for a change of anything previously discussed so all she is doing is confirming anyone's paranoia that she is crazily playing too hard. I think its possible the 18yr old flipped his vote then and there when he leaned forward to say something to the two girls who previously discussed taking out gonzales but he said he wanted to keep the tribe strong.

Loved the first challenge, the whole decided what to do plan was a great mechanic. Losing the fishing gear with how little rice they have is absolutely horrible, I don't care at all about the flint and shelter building equipment, everyone should know how to build shelters by this point, so not losing the fishing gear was priority number one. The leader and puzzle solver got to talk while the runner was getting keys, my wife brought up a great point that the goal should be to look like you 100% know what you are doing. Let your leader know to tell you when there is about 20% sand left, you will say don't worry about it if you are making actual progress, you will say I've got this if you haven't made a ton of progress and you slide those pieces like a mad person. That lets your leader know to pull the plug before time runs out but the strategy is to make the other tribe pull first not to solve the puzzle.

Final thoughts are that I think player are slowly understanding "strong" is a pretty useless term nowadays. Challenges haven't been about physical strength in years because of the male bias that leads to. Things are either bodywieght/endurance strength which means it isn't beneficial to be on the obscene amounts of TRT those guys are on, or it is skill based strength and coordination. If you really want to make the tribe "strong" play a game of telephone and vote out the person who screws it up the most.

Spoilers for scenes from next week:
Sooooo sick of constant tribe swap/merges. It benefits stupid players too much and makes the eventual merge uneventful. I like it much better to force tribes to really rely on a majority alliance to keep you safe until a merge where the bottom 3, outside 3 final 7 and bottom 2, outside 2, final 5 mechanics can kick in.

Oh also I don't like the ghost island mechanic as it screws the voting purist in me over but at least it isn't redemption island. Obvious plan is to go, don't play the game unless you absolutely have to, tell your tribe there is a game and you chose not to play because the penalty for losing is losing a vote and advantages just get you voted out anyway.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.