Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 66660 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2014, 04:17:44 pm »
+1

I think it was just Josh's way of making sure the guys won, without directly betraying Nadiya.

This is what I thought. The blame for that vote may also get pinned elsewhere.
Seems exceptionally low reward high risk. Nadiya won't even be in the jury.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »

I think it was just Josh's way of making sure the guys won, without directly betraying Nadiya.

Seems exceptionally low reward high risk. Nadiya won't even be in the jury.

I assume he told the girl (Baylor?) about it first so it was fine. I think Nadiya probably knew it was going to be her going home, and they just didn't really show that.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2014, 04:19:53 pm »

Hold on now, those puzzle pieces were really heavy and moving them around a lot probably gets tiring after a while. The actual puzzle component seemed to be guess-and-check (at least that's what those tribes were doing -- I would have asked for someone to hold me on their shoulders so I could try and reason a couple of things but that's just me) so you could argue that the "puzzle portion" of the challenge was almost all physical stuff anyways. That plus there were what, 5 other phases of the challenge that happened before you even got there, almost all of which were physical (I'm not counting knot-untying as physical).

I mean, I felt like that challenge was almost all physical with one small puzzle component thrown in there because it added variety to the challenge -- something appropriate for an early tribal-phase challenge for sure.

My issue with the challenge was that the first five stages were completely irrelevant - the time you could make up in those was very insignificant compared to the time it took solving the puzzle. I feel that's quite common these days, and I find it very unfortunate.

Edit: Especially so, because the puzzle seemed to be on the "brute-force it" end of the spectrum.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:21:27 pm by Eevee »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »

Hold on now, those puzzle pieces were really heavy and moving them around a lot probably gets tiring after a while. The actual puzzle component seemed to be guess-and-check (at least that's what those tribes were doing -- I would have asked for someone to hold me on their shoulders so I could try and reason a couple of things but that's just me) so you could argue that the "puzzle portion" of the challenge was almost all physical stuff anyways. That plus there were what, 5 other phases of the challenge that happened before you even got there, almost all of which were physical (I'm not counting knot-untying as physical).

I mean, I felt like that challenge was almost all physical with one small puzzle component thrown in there because it added variety to the challenge -- something appropriate for an early tribal-phase challenge for sure.

My issue with the challenge was that the first five stages were completely irrelevant - the time you could make up in those was very insignificant compared to the time it took solving the puzzle. I feel that's quite common these days, and I find it very unfortunate.

Edit: Especially so, because the puzzle seemed to be on the "brute-force it" end of the spectrum.

Well I like that aspect of it, because there's always the potential for a comeback. If it wasn't like this, I'd be much more inclined to tune out after one tribe takes an early lead.

And the puzzle didn't have to be brute force -- both tribes did it that way but I think they could have done better had they just thought about it. Ability to think under pressure and fatigue is very well tested using this format and I like that. I also like puzzles.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:30 pm »

Okay, interesting! I thought that challenges like that were the producers failing, but clearly there is a market for that. Huh.

I agree, your idea of John who was otherwise doing nothing lifting someone up to maybe see the bigger picture is a good one. It's good to remember that we are shown an edited version of the challenge. They very well could have spent like 20 minutes doing the puzzle, if not more.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2014, 04:34:09 pm »

Okay, interesting! I thought that challenges like that were the producers failing, but clearly there is a market for that. Huh.

I agree, your idea of John who was otherwise doing nothing lifting someone up to maybe see the bigger picture is a good one. It's good to remember that we are shown an edited version of the challenge. They very well could have spent like 20 minutes doing the puzzle, if not more.

I know this is unrealistic, but truth-be-told I have this pipe dream where the casting agents for Survivor are able to see everything I post here and everything I do for FS2 and want to cast me for it.

I can dream, can't I?

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

I thought Dale was going to be a strong player after watching his pregame interview. I changed my mind once I realized he has absolutely no social skills and isolated himself from everyone else right off the back hahaha.

Nadiya seemed to be extremely offensive, not sad to see her go first. Also, I don't like how they take people who are already famous, so I typically root against them anyways.

I'll be rooting for my hometown area people (the fire fighter and cop from Boston whose names I forgot), Dale (I'll hold out hope still), and Baylor seemed cool as well.

Overall, not an amazing season premier, but it was the premier so that means Survivor is on! So I won't complain.
Go, and do likewise.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »

Regarding Josh's vote, he was obviously stressed as the position of the swing vote, so he probably wanted to not be the deciding factor, if possible. I think if Baylor votes with the girls, Josh ends up voting for Nadiya in the tie breaker voting round. the only thing I was confused about was why he voted for Baylor and not one of other girls? Maybe so no one would know who it was that didn't vote with them? Or maybe because he had trust with her and knew she might not get mad if he voted for her, whereas it didn't seem like he had a strong relationship with the other women yet.
Go, and do likewise.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »

I was pretty pleased with the first elimination. As far as I can tell, Natalie and Nadiya would have been essentially the same character.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »

I was pretty pleased with the first elimination. As far as I can tell, Natalie and Nadiya would have been essentially the same character.
Good point.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »

I'm listening to Nadiya's RHAP interview now. She is saying Josh and her were "like best buddies" on the island. A dynamic like that might explain why he didn't want to directly vote for her, even if he had to let her go.

This actually brings to question how much political capital Josh actually has on the tribe. Of course, all we hear is Nadya's side, and maybe Josh was only getting close to her for strategy, but if they actually were that close and Josh couldn't make the men choose another target, then that means Josh is not really in a position power at all.

Edit: Haha, Nadiya is sort of hilarious in this. Not very appropriate, but has some pretty funny oneliners. She could have had some fun confessionals.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:49:15 pm by Eevee »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2014, 02:20:25 am »

Does anyone watch the bonus clips? Dale is so cute!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:28 am »
+2

I haven't watched the bonus clips. I think they aren't available to Europeans, stupid CBS.

Comments on the episode as I watch it! Almost like live-tweeting, except it's not live and not on twitter.

First of all, what the heck was Josh doing last week, AGAIN?? Why has he lied about his vote to his alliance TWICE in a row now, if he still plans on kicking Baylor before any of the guys? He seems to be massively overplaying for no reason. I think a almost any alliance would see him as a really really sketchy character right now, but I guess it's working with this group since everyone still seems to trust and like him.

If Drew ends up being the one that quits, I'm going to be slightly pissed at the editors. They really are shoving their dislike of him down our throats. He literally hasn't come off well in any of his scenes.

Jeremy is getting a great edit. I didn't like him mouthing off to the other tribe when he saw that Val was gone, but other than that, he is getting a lot of positive screen time. I'm really enjoying his confessionals about Drew.

Rocker was obviously put to a very uncomfortable situation because of Val's idiocy, but telling Jeremy that he tried to lobby for her as hard as he could in front of his own tribe wasn't really the best or even a remotely good way to go about solving it. :D Not that I expected him to be the smartest of cookies.

This duel should be right up Reed's ally, although Josh could also be good at it so maybe it's not the greatest match-up. Some of these parent-kid pairs ought to be better, and now I'm positively surprised that Wes realized it and volunteered. He is actually playing a great under the radar game, he's in a majority alliance and seems to be well liked and hard working.

I like Keith too, seems like a good guy. What a sympathetic family! I'm actually warming up to this cast, even if the general gameplay hasn't really been all that impressive (read: it's been terrible) this far. At least I'm developing a root/don't root for relationship with these people. :) edit: Okay, I guess Keith isn't so super open minded about homosexuals after all, this confessional about sleeping on different sides of the fire with Josh is pretty questionable. :D

John quietly saying "I did everything I could brother, I swear to you" to Jeremy is much better, even if it doesn't seem to helping at all. If I was Jeremy, I'd believe him because he really is too dumb and proud to lie about something like that. I'm somewhat disappointed in Jeremy for not seeing that, or not even being open to hearing his side of the story. The anger seems to be clouding his judgement badly, which doesn't bode well for you in the game. I can't really bring myself to feel bad for Julie, even though I should. Like, yeah, it's unfair her position weakens because everyone hates John, but also, you are dating John Rocker, so.. what did you expect?

Some really good looking shooting strokes in the challenge, especially Rocker, John and Jeremy (I'm a basketball fan). Dale seems to be a great diplomat, first trying to calm John down after the challenge and then offering to go get water because he sat out the challenge.

I'll say this in Rocker's credit, he really doesn't seem to be a homophobic person, as far as I can tell he is perfectly comfortable working with Josh and being his friend. Of course he is very mean person and has a TERRIBLE temper, but I'd say he is more politically incorrect than actually discriminating towards minorities (of course, being politically incorrect is discriminating in itself, but.. he is a very dumb guy). Oh, now he is floating the idea of voting out Dale, which I think will backfire just because the edit has been showing Dale in a very positive light, and this episode has really been focusing on how many people dislike Rocker. Everything seems to be pointing towards him getting blindsided with an idol. I wonder why no one wants to align with Dale? He seems like a great guy. Yes, he is weak physically, but he also knows his limitations.

The four that plans on blindsiding Rocker really should have told Jacelyn to keep her mouth shut at the tribal so that John wouldn't play the idol. If they did and she still went ahead and said that a guy might be going, god that is stupid, so stupid. Wes's clean-up of her mess was elite though, my respect for him just keeps on rising. Jacelyn, on the other hand, I think is just an idiot.

I'm glad to see Rocker go. It was a fun run, but this is a good and fitting ending to that story. Fwiw, I think this will actually improve his general image. I think he portrayed himself as an ass, but not really a bigot, racist or a homophobe. I really like that he went out saying "well played", I always always have so much respect for people who can do that. Honestly, I think I could get along with Rocker. He just seems like a ridiculously difficult personality, not necessarily a bad guy at heart. Of course, the show is heavily edited and basically everyone but Dale the super diplomat hated him, so what do I know.

Good casting choices:
Rocker+Julie - He WAS great TV. Also, to his credit, despite not being a smart guy, he really tried to play the game. Julie seems like she might actually be more than a (big) pair of boobs with diamond earrings (on the island? seriously?), but being Rocker's loved one is a pretty big setback for obvious reasons. Him going home was the best thing that could have happened to her game, she might have a fair chance again now.

Wes+Keith - I wasn't too hot on them at first, but they are growing on me. Wes might go really far, he had a super strong episode.

Twinnies - I guess they are good casting choices. Nadya going first and Natalie staying was probably the dream scenario though.

Jeremy+Val - Val played a terrible game, but at least she didn't just lie down ad die. Jeremy is of course a very good casting choice all around. I really hope he can get over Val being gone now that Rocker is out. This might have actually worked out perfectly for him.

Josh+Reed: Both are actually playing, and Josh is taking the narrator role, giving pretty good confessionals, even if his gameplay seems erratic at times.

Bad/meh casting choices:
Alec+Drew: They just seem like douches with no real personality. Boring.

I like Dale, but I didn't even remember her daughters name.

I like Baylor, but the mom has only been good for a couple of lol confessionals this far.

Jacelyn seems like an idiot, and Jon has been pretty bland this far, really dislike them.

edit: I might have too much time on my hands.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2014, 10:51:43 am »
+1

This season has been amazing I feel. It seems like they got a group of the most kind-hearted people they could find and they are all really emotional with each-other and it's great to watch.

I think the show was great for rockers image especially with the contrast of john saying "hey people call me a homophobe but my legitimate ally and friend is a gay man" compared to the older guy who everyone likes and was seemingly getting along but saying some pretty homophobic things. It proved actions do speak louder than words and really don't know someone's true intentions till you get to know them.

I still think voting out john was THE WORST, no one is giving a million dollars to an unliked ex-professional baseball player and they really are doomed in challenges without him.

Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

I'm just so happy to see stupid John Rocker voted off. He's gone now and that's over so now the season can actually begin in my mind. Just listen to the audio whenever he speaks, it's so heavily edited I really have no idea what he's actually saying.

I'm going to call it right now -- Rocker's girlfriend quits the game next episode. You heard it here first.

I think Jaclyn's talking at tribal council was justified because Rocker said to her that he wanted to vote Dale out, so Rocker thinks that she thinks a guy is going home. His facial reactions to that, well I just don't believe them because he was so heavily edited this season.

I really like Josh's game play this season, it may appear erratic but I think it's been very precise. His relationship with Baylor (who I also really like) is very interesting and it's clear there's a lot they aren't telling us about it. That's the thing to watch this season and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

What could Natalie possibly hope to gain by calling Rocker out at the immunity challenge? I feel like gameplay-wise that's just a huge mistake and she's lucky it didn't bite her immediately.

But for now, we celebrate the fact that I don't have to watch John Rocker on my television anymore.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »

Eh, I'm not super impressed with this season yet. Plenty of perfectly likable people--Keith, Dale, Josh, Baylor, Wes, Jeremy--come to mind. There's just not a lot of interesting strategic tension. Nothing like what was going on in the Brain tribe, or concerning Tony, last season.

But it's fine. I think Josh is cool but he's just trying a bit too hard and is painting an increasingly big target on his back by being too devious for no reason. I want to like Reed but we haven't seen enough of him. The sisters and brothers are terrible, the quicker all four are gone the better.

Okay, John Rocker. I know he is supposedly famously short-tempered; on Survivor, he was far from the most short-tempered player we have ever seen. I saw zero evidence of bigotry, in fact I think he went out of his way to dispel those labels as much as possible (which is something he should be doing given his past statements, sure, but okay, he did it!). Voting him out was abysmally terrible for the guys (it was great for Baylor and Other Girl, obviously). Never let the other gender have numbers for any reason is Survivor 101--just ask Troyzan! And they are certainly not MORE likely to win challenges now. I get why they didn't think they could trust him, but it's clear that Josh is about 10 times less trustworthy, so if they really wanted to take out a mastermind, it should have been Josh (I wouldn't have agreed with that either, but it would be more logical). John will be easy to defeat later, no need to take him out now. Also, why the f**** are you taking advice from the other tribe? It's an admission of weakness for the team to cater to Natalie's demands.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2014, 06:06:02 pm »

Eh, I'm not super impressed with this season yet. Plenty of perfectly likable people--Keith, Dale, Josh, Baylor, Wes, Jeremy--come to mind. There's just not a lot of interesting strategic tension. Nothing like what was going on in the Brain tribe, or concerning Tony, last season.

But it's fine. I think Josh is cool but he's just trying a bit too hard and is painting an increasingly big target on his back by being too devious for no reason. I want to like Reed but we haven't seen enough of him. The sisters and brothers are terrible, the quicker all four are gone the better.

Okay, John Rocker. I know he is supposedly famously short-tempered; on Survivor, he was far from the most short-tempered player we have ever seen. I saw zero evidence of bigotry, in fact I think he went out of his way to dispel those labels as much as possible (which is something he should be doing given his past statements, sure, but okay, he did it!). Voting him out was abysmally terrible for the guys (it was great for Baylor and Other Girl, obviously). Never let the other gender have numbers for any reason is Survivor 101--just ask Troyzan! And they are certainly not MORE likely to win challenges now. I get why they didn't think they could trust him, but it's clear that Josh is about 10 times less trustworthy, so if they really wanted to take out a mastermind, it should have been Josh (I wouldn't have agreed with that either, but it would be more logical). John will be easy to defeat later, no need to take him out now. Also, why the f**** are you taking advice from the other tribe? It's an admission of weakness for the team to cater to Natalie's demands.
I agree with every single point robz made.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2014, 06:15:14 pm »
+1

I agree with every single point robz made.

Stop sheeping reads.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2014, 06:24:43 pm »

Well I was just gonna let it go, but since Eevee felt it necessary to voice his agreement with Robz, I'll point out the the one thing I disagree with.

Remember last season when some people thought Tony was playing "too hard" and that it wasn't going to work out for him, and I thought he was playing reasonably well? This talk about Josh really reminds me of that. I think Josh is playing pretty well and others think he's playing too hard. I'm going to refer to my 1-0 perfect score here and say that I really like Josh's game and I don't think it's too aggressive. He stated his reasons for wanting to get rid of Rocker, and I agreed with his reasons and his decision.

I'm not going to pretend that my judgment isn't clouded by the fact that I hate John Rocker, because it is. But I stated reasons previously why I thought getting rid of him early would be a good idea, and Josh agreed with those reasons, so naturally I am pleased with him  :P

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:57 am »

I agree it's working out great for Josh, I'd say he is in the best position to win the game now. Funnily enough, it would probably behoove him if they kept on losing immunity challenges, because I'm sure his post-merge game is to get together with Reed and other people not in an alliance on the other side. In that light, losing Rocker's challenge prowess actually works out great for him

I'm just surprised people aren't wising up to the fact that he hasn't voted the way he told his alliance in the first two councils. To make it worse, I don't see any benefit in not telling Baylor he was going to vote for her the first time around, if you are going to hide that connection from your alliance, it would make much more sense to tell her instead of surprising her like that, and jeopardizing the trust.

But, of course Josh is thinking strategically and has full control of his tribe now. It also helps he doesn't look like a physical threat, and that everyone seems to like him.

edit: By the way, in his exit interview Rocker said they are actually friends with Natalie&Nadya and Jeremy and Val now, and that they talk weekly and actually were all on a skype call together when the episode aired. They also didn't show Natalia just reaming on the other tribe and Rocker for a full minute already in last challenge. In Rocker's words "you know, I had to take it and listen to her bash me like a pussy, or shout back at her and be an asshole. I chose the latter".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:25:35 am by Eevee »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2014, 10:29:54 am »
+1

I think the comparison to Tony is very accurate for Josh. But I also think Tony took on unnecessary risk in the early game by playing too hard, and so is Josh.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »

Jackie from this season is my roommates cousin! Rooting for her. (And actually watching for the first time).

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:33 pm »

Adam's prediction of Rocker's girlfriend quitting was a good one, but she seems to be pretty emotional strong considering the circumstances.

This guy Drew throwing the challenge....does he really not notice that everyone at camp hates that he does nothing? lol. also he thinks he is a mastermind but is so far from it.

This season has been awfully bleh. Not a lot of exciting things happening, a lot of the castaways are fans of the game but aren't very good at playing it. We'll see how this vote goes
Go, and do likewise.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »
+1

LOLOLOLOLOL possibly the dumbest survivor contestant ever? I'm having trouble thinking of ones to compare Drew to
Go, and do likewise.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:45 am »

That was hilarious. "I am the lynchpin of my tribe because I can cause us to lose challenges" wait what?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.