Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 66668 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 03:37:05 pm »

he was just such a slime.

Why was he a slime? Because he lied in a game of Survivor? ;D

I mean, it's really not difficult to see he was edited to be a villain. Yeah he said some things in the context of a game that can be objectionable, but it's really easy to tell that he isn't a bad person. I mean, I watched every episode of his show "Flipped Off," which I'm pretty sure is a better glimpse into who he really is than Survivor is.

Well he was arrested for battery, for one. He made some pretty awful comments about Brandon on Brandon's first season. He allegedly leaked the results of a couple of different seasons to a fan site.

I mean, he was definitely a villain in the context of the game, and maybe he's not the worst person in the world, but he seems like a pretty bad dude to me.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »

he was just such a slime.

Why was he a slime? Because he lied in a game of Survivor? ;D

I mean, it's really not difficult to see he was edited to be a villain. Yeah he said some things in the context of a game that can be objectionable, but it's really easy to tell that he isn't a bad person. I mean, I watched every episode of his show "Flipped Off," which I'm pretty sure is a better glimpse into who he really is than Survivor is.

Well he was arrested for battery, for one. He made some pretty awful comments about Brandon on Brandon's first season. He allegedly leaked the results of a couple of different seasons to a fan site.

I mean, he was definitely a villain in the context of the game, and maybe he's not the worst person in the world, but he seems like a pretty bad dude to me.

When he was arrested, he was never charged with anything because the woman that accused him admitted she was lying.

Awful comments about Brandon? Brandon said some things about Russell and I don't even know of anything personal that was said between the two in that space. So they play the game differently and disagree publicly. If you watch the season finale of Flipped Off you'll see how close-knit that family is despite the fact that they play a game differently. Besides, Brandon Hantz is an idiot anyways, but that's besides the point  :P

The rumor I thought was that his now ex-wife was the one giving out the spoilers, not Russell.

He was edited on a TV show to play a "villain" role because of the way he played, yes. Maybe he's not the best person in the world, but he seems like a pretty good dude to me.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »

I'm glad to hear that the arrest was overblown! I didn't want to believe that he was a real-life bad guy after watching the show (even though I never liked him much in the show anyway) but when I heard that I thought the case seemed pretty closed.

The comments about Brandon were during the reunion show. Russell was in the audience and asked what he thought about Brandon's play and whether he was proud of him (Brandon's placement was mediocre). Russell didn't really try to hide his disappointment. Despite their clearly different playstyles, Russell really should have had more class here.

I guess the spoiler thing will remain a mystery since nothing can really be proven.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 04:07:56 pm »

I agree with robz entirely(shocker) I think tony has a Russell wannabe attitude. As robz pointed out he had no reason to lie to the cop girl and made the manifestly wrong decision to keep a non-tribal member(who had an idol) LJ around and remove an ally in cliff. He jumped ship to a 4 man alliance which doesn't have strong ties to people on the other tribe, and left his secure Braun alliance, not to mention he is the bottom of this new alliance instead of the top of the old.

The brain tribe deserves everything they get for being idiots(I like specer simply because he hasn't really made bad choices, he had just been victim to his tribe mates idiocracy)

Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:46 pm »

I don't think Russell did anything wrong in saying he did not like Brandon's play, it wasn't so much that Brandon did not place well it was because Brandon was an embarrassing lunatic on the show.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »

Well Brandon did compare Russell to Hitler and other such things over the course of S23. I'd be disappointed if I was him. I'm not saying everything was handled perfectly but it certainly doesn't justify the reputation Russell seems to have.

Those three brain people that are gone, I mean they were just complete idiots. I think the three brains remaining are quite smart and the three that are gone had no business being on a tribe that claims to be smart. I'd love nothing more than to see the three of them go far together because they don't have those other three dragging them down. And I'd love to see Spencer <3 <3 <3 win it all ;D

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 04:16:17 pm »

I do think Russell let his true personality through a couple times, and it did not come off as the world's greatest guy. We got to meet Brandon's dad, too, and the entire Hantz clan struck me as pretty dysfunctional.

I don't think there is any evidence that Russell is like an actually evil person, though. His ability to actually commend other players who made good moves always impressed me--like when he said Parvati actually deserved to win, and that Sandra burning his hat was a great move, and that Rob played a great game in that one where Rob played a great game.

You also can't deny the brutal efficiency of Russell's strategy. His moves the first two times were just amazing. I mean, in a head-to-head strategic battle, he totally wrecked Rob and Tyson, who had a supermajority at the time!

Russell's third outing, it wasn't even his fault he was voted out, because his tribe decided they would rather all lose the game then put up with him for another day. So they all lost the game!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 04:16:32 pm »

@Mcmc I did not at all understand the reasoning behind taking cliff out. It seemed like Tony was really getting spooked early despite EVERYTHING going well for the Brawn tribe. He then carried that over even past the tribe switch when they had the numbers. It seemed crazy to me, maybe there was a lot more antagonism there that didn't make it to the final edit or something. And again, it makes me sad because I really liked Cliff and still like Woo (and that other girl they're with seems alright too). It IS a pretty interesting development in the game though. I found it intriguing that the majority of the Beauty tribe just broke down and let themselves get manhandled by the Brains, while the two others were able to exploit the cracks in the Brawn tribe's armor.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »

J'Tia is the new worst Survivor in the history of the game. She possessed praiseworthy levels of self-righteousness, obnoxiousness, challenge incompetence, social unawareness, and wrathful insanity.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »

OK then, when Tony's move turns out to be amazing once the merge happens, let the record show that I called it and nobody agreed with me.

...and if I'm wrong, well, then, what else is new? :P

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »

The thing I like most about Tony is his attitude. He has this fun, positive, I-may-totally-backstab-you-but-it's-just-a-game, vibe that I like.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 04:22:50 pm »

You also can't deny the brutal efficiency of Russell's strategy. His moves the first two times were just amazing. I mean, in a head-to-head strategic battle, he totally wrecked Rob and Tyson, who had a supermajority at the time!

Oh no, it was efficient and effective. I mean, he was going out and finding idols like mad, and making plays that nobody else had pulled off before. That's some real originality to be new and fresh after almost 20 seasons.

But I always said that he played a great game to get to the end, not to win the whole thing. He simply made too many enemies. People didn't like his cockiness, people didn't like that he went above and beyond the game with his tricks and vindictiveness, people just didn't like him. Maybe that's not his fault (or maybe it is), but it's a huge factor in winning the game. His first season, I think almost everyone would have begrudgingly voted for him had not that one guy on the jury made a great speech to let everyone know that yeah, it was ok to vote for Natalie.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »

OK then, when Tony's move turns out to be amazing once the merge happens, let the record show that I called it and nobody agreed with me.

...and if I'm wrong, well, then, what else is new? :P

I'm not saying you're wrong. I agree with Robz that he's overplaying, but that sometimes totally works out! It's different every season.

The thing I like most about Tony is his attitude. He has this fun, positive, I-may-totally-backstab-you-but-it's-just-a-game, vibe that I like.

I like this about him too. I like Woo for a similar reason. He was totally considering Sarah's plan to take out Cliff, although that got interrupted. Great attitude about the weather too, he just seems like a genuinely cool guy who's so excited to be out there playing the game.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »

Oh no, it was efficient and effective. I mean, he was going out and finding idols like mad, and making plays that nobody else had pulled off before. That's some real originality to be new and fresh after almost 20 seasons.

But I always said that he played a great game to get to the end, not to win the whole thing. He simply made too many enemies. People didn't like his cockiness, people didn't like that he went above and beyond the game with his tricks and vindictiveness, people just didn't like him. Maybe that's not his fault (or maybe it is), but it's a huge factor in winning the game. His first season, I think almost everyone would have begrudgingly voted for him had not that one guy on the jury made a great speech to let everyone know that yeah, it was ok to vote for Natalie.

Sure, and I mean, it is definitely a flaw in your game if you make everybody too mad to vote for you. We have seen plenty of brilliant strategic players screw everybody over and still get their votes, most recently Tyson.

I think the jury was stupidly vindictive when they had Natalie beat Russell, though.

The next time, I personally would have voted for Parvati, but I can't begrudge Sandra's victory. She has the game figured out, obviously, and Russell made a huge mistake not taking her out earlier.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:44 pm »

But I can't begrudge Sandra's victory. She has the game figured out, obviously, and Russell made a huge mistake not taking her out earlier.

This is something that's always bothered me: I think Sandra didn't deserve her second win (you can argue that she didn't deserve her first, but I think she did). That game was Parvati's and she should have won it.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to support this, so you'll have to wait until I get more time to type that up.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »

But I can't begrudge Sandra's victory. She has the game figured out, obviously, and Russell made a huge mistake not taking her out earlier.

This is something that's always bothered me: I think Sandra didn't deserve her second win (you can argue that she didn't deserve her first, but I think she did). That game was Parvati's and she should have won it.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to support this, so you'll have to wait until I get more time to type that up.

Yes, I would have voted for Parvati. But the Jury was composed entirely of people who liked Sandra personally because she reached out to them. She was dangerous and they should have taken her out earlier, probably over Danielle or something.

Actually, I'm STILL not sure why they eliminated Courtney instead of Sandra before the merge. That was Russell and Parvat's game-losing move.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 04:38:08 pm »

So we should have some sort of Survivor skype watch party sometime to talk about what we think of the season. I don't know who you guys typically watch with and if that would be awkward, but I would love to try it sometime!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »

Or at least discuss it live on this thread. I think we all watch it on Eastern or Central time, yes?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »

When I was in college I had a group of friends that I watched the show with. I've been told it's very entertaining to watch me watch Survivor.

Unfortunately, I can almost never watch the show live anymore, so I usually catch it on my DVR when I get a chance, which is frequently on Sunday or something  :(

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 04:45:11 pm »

When I was in college I had a group of friends that I watched the show with. I've been told it's very entertaining to watch me watch Survivor.

Unfortunately, I can almost never watch the show live anymore, so I usually catch it on my DVR when I get a chance, which is frequently on Sunday or something  :(

Sad. :( I have a group that I watch with, I've made addicts out of all my friends.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »

Me and Kaitlin(gf) watch it together and should most likely be watching it live from now on. I would love to do some kind of skype/live chat viewing, but I'm not sure about her. I have lots of online friends that are closer than many irl friends and many that crossover into both realms, so I am super comfortable/love interweaving online community with as many channels as possible. She's still getting used to it.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »

Anyone else watching in 15 minutes?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »

Me and Kaitlin(gf) watch it together and should most likely be watching it live from now on. I would love to do some kind of skype/live chat viewing, but I'm not sure about her. I have lots of online friends that are closer than many irl friends and many that crossover into both realms, so I am super comfortable/love interweaving online community with as many channels as possible. She's still getting used to it.

What you are saying here is essentially you are embarrissed about us? (Is it Dsell? It's Dsell isnt it?)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »

What you are saying here is essentially you are embarrissed about us? (Is it Dsell? It's Dsell isnt it?)

It usually is... :'( :'( :'(

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »

It's the drunk texting man, that's gotta stop!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.