Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 66674 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Survivor
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:24:07 am »

There's been talk of a thread here to discuss Survivor. I didn't see one so I guess I'll make one for this upcoming season. Survivor 27: Blood vs. Water.

Big news happened this morning, when the cast was officially released along with several other terrible, horrible things they're doing to the game this season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/21/survivor-blood-vs-water-new-cast-and-lots-of-twists-revealed/

I wonder how long it will take me to go from my current "I will not be watching this season" to the inevitable "ZOMG SURVIVOR MUST WATCH DON'T CARE HOW BAD IT IS!!!!!11111oneoneoneoen" Any predictions?

---------------------------

My knee-jerk thoughts on the cast:

Man, I love Rupert but I just feel like putting him here is a bad idea. Did I ever mention that Rupert touched my saxophone?

Tyson and Colton are my other favorite returners. I will be prepared to have a party at my house the night each of the Culpeppers is eliminated.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:56:04 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor 27
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:35:39 pm »

COLTON AUGH I NEVER WANTED TO SEE HIS FACE AGAIN

Ahem. Looks like quite a shake up. I am generally ok with them doing big experiments and twists like this as long as they only keep the things that really work for future seasons. I think the strategy will be there. I think the drama will be there. I'm excited.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »

So do you believe that Redemption Island ever worked?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:09 pm »
+1

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Every single thing about this concept is infuriating. And I enjoy returning players, but not every single season, for fucks sake. HATE the loved ones/partner concept. HATE Redemption Island. Bad bad bad.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:38:37 pm »
+1

Loved ones sounds very gimmicky. The whole trading places thing is strange. I'm not really a fan of Redemption island either. I like the 'All Stars' thing, but like Robz said, it becomes less cool if you do it every season. I really think just straight up Survivor is appealing enough because even though the game is the same, it's the people that make it interesting. And I think when they keep bringing back past competitors, it loses that sort of 'newness'. Like, those past competitors have a reputation (a meta, if you will) and people are aware and play based on that.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:41:10 pm »

I'm also surprised Rob and Amber aren't here. But it may be because they're already too good at the game.  :P

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure Amber has been asked back after S8 and has declined...

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure Amber has been asked back after S8 and has declined...
Ah, ok. That makes much more sense.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:07:48 pm »

It's just becoming like this club of the same people and their relatives playing over and over again, and it's getting progressively less fun to watch.

I LOVE the All Star seasons, but they have to mix in some regular seasons. The novelty of seeing Rupert come back is really, really wearing off.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:20:18 pm »
+1

It's just becoming like this club of the same people and their relatives playing over and over again, and it's getting progressively less fun to watch.

I LOVE the All Star seasons, but they have to mix in some regular seasons. The novelty of seeing Rupert come back is really, really wearing off.

This kind of thing is especially offensive to die-hard fans of the show who have been applying over and over again. I'm not getting picked because they wanted to do THIS? It's a slap in the face, really.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »

I like bringing back players who have proven to be entertaining (Rupert!), but that's just about the only good thing about this season and the people they are bringing back aren't even that entertaining. Well, if you are going to bring back redemption island, I like having the loved one getting to sub in if he/she wants to (might create some interesting decisions), but that's about it. Disappointed to have something this lackluster to be the first survivor season I'll be following in real time but I'll be looking to place some hefty bets elsewhere and follow and discuss the events here with you guys. Generally I think the producers know what they are doing so maybe this will turn out fine.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:53 pm »

So do you believe that Redemption Island ever worked?

Eh, not really. That's what I'm looking forward to the least (besides Colton!!!) of what's spoiled so far, but I agree with Archetype that the sub-in thing at least adds some interesting decisions.

I also agree about the returning players, and I do wish it were all new players this season. But I've been concerned about that in the past and it's turned out really surprisingly well (Heroes vs Villains anyone?). So I am eternally optimistic!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 01:36:08 pm »
+4

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

Every single thing about this concept is infuriating. And I enjoy returning players, but not every single season, for fucks sake. HATE the loved ones/partner concept. HATE Redemption Island. Bad bad bad.

AHEM,

(14 year old me speaking to robz) hey you know what would be awesome if when i got older I applied for survivor and they did like a siblings thing and we could play together and have like secret alliances and all that awesome stuff.

(18 year old robz speaking to me) That's an awful idea and they would absolutely never do it, you could never let family members make it to the end.

Looks like you were wroooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. nananananana(thats 14 year old me gloating, I'm more mature than that of course)
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »

Eugh. I'm just not pumped, even after seeing the first episode. Rupert is not very smart. Yeah. There aren't even that many people I really like. Maybe Caleb? I like Tyson but we didn't even hear from him at all...

There are a lot of people I don't like who I will be happy when they are eliminated. They can't all win so it's guaranteed to happen at some point, right?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »

Eugh. I'm just not pumped, even after seeing the first episode. Rupert is not very smart. Yeah. There aren't even that many people I really like. Maybe Caleb? I like Tyson but we didn't even hear from him at all...

There are a lot of people I don't like who I will be happy when they are eliminated. They can't all win so it's guaranteed to happen at some point, right?

So, I am so against the reutnring players + loved ones + redemption island (seriously, NO ONE likes redemption island, why do this???)... but actually this episode was kind of interesting I thought. Mostly because some of the loved ones are interesting in their own right--specifically Aras's brother, the teen mom, and the football guy.

That Colton did not get even a single vote in that opening thing made me furious, however. Actually, it smacks of producer manipulation. Why would they not insta-vote for him? He is so so so awful.

Voting off Gervase's niece because Gervase--on the other team, no less--was a jerk is like the weirdest rationale for voting ever, but okay.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 01:12:44 pm »

The returning players must have made some alliances before the show, the first votes on the beach seemed pretty coordinated. I too was shocked to not see Colton's name there.

Aras and Vytas are crushing it this far. I'm also rooting for Hayden, he seems likeable. I'm surprised Gervase was popular back in the day, he seems both useless and kind of a dick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aras taking him to the end with him.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »

Candice's husband is so much like Candice. Publicly receiving a clue to the idol, being a part of strong alliance and not telling others what it is seems like a god-awful move.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »

Candice's husband is so much like Candice. Publicly receiving a clue to the idol, being a part of strong alliance and not telling others what it is seems like a god-awful move.

I really felt for him, though. Like, he was clearly trying to not harm his alliance, but also he wanted to help his wife, and the two goals were totally at odds... and he realized it, too.

That was a very, very interesting second episode, and it was also very genuine. Like, the interesting strategic landscape followed naturally from the rules the producers set, which is vastly preferable. Sometimes it seems like they are overly manipulating things.

Colton continues to be insufferable. He is the worst. And he's awful in ways that are fundamentally different from like a "Master of Chaos" player like Russell Hantz, whose nefariousness was underlined by legitimate strategy. Colton is just stirring the pot for no reason at all. He's a detriment to his tribe in every conceivable sense. I hope they vote him off immediately. He does make everyone else look really good by comparison, though. I loved Aras alliance with the other vets, and they were just like, "We aren't going to listen to him, if he says shit we will immediately talk it out with each other and know that he is probably lying, and that's it." Competence is awesome.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 01:51:21 pm »

I don't for the life of me understand what someone like Caleb who seems like a good guy sees in Colton. Truly a mysterious pair.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:20 pm »

I really felt for him, though. Like, he was clearly trying to not harm his alliance, but also he wanted to help his wife, and the two goals were totally at odds... and he realized it, too.

That was a very, very interesting second episode, and it was also very genuine. Like, the interesting strategic landscape followed naturally from the rules the producers set, which is vastly preferable. Sometimes it seems like they are overly manipulating things.

Colton continues to be insufferable. He is the worst. And he's awful in ways that are fundamentally different from like a "Master of Chaos" player like Russell Hantz, whose nefariousness was underlined by legitimate strategy. Colton is just stirring the pot for no reason at all. He's a detriment to his tribe in every conceivable sense. I hope they vote him off immediately. He does make everyone else look really good by comparison, though. I loved Aras alliance with the other vets, and they were just like, "We aren't going to listen to him, if he says shit we will immediately talk it out with each other and know that he is probably lying, and that's it." Competence is awesome.

I could not agree with this more. If anything, Colton is even more pathetic for not learning anything in the 2-3 years after he was basically humiliated in front of millions.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:50 pm »

If I recall correctly, Colton was only "humiliated" for his racist remarks, of which I can't recall any of them that he's made this season. He was extremely good at getting people to do what he wanted in S24 at their own detriment, which I think is really good game play.

So some things about Colton are the same and some of them are different. You may not like some of them, but we have yet to see whether or not any of them are effective. He still hasn't been to tribal council yet so there's no telling what is going to actually stick. I don't blame him at all for attempting to keep the parts of his game that worked so heavily in his favor. It doesn't make sense to me when people criticize players for doing that and then saying they didn't learn anything.

Look, sometimes doing things that are unsavory IRL can get you really far in Survivor. If you don't like that, fine, but I haven't seen a criticism of his gameplay yet that you couldn't have said about his S24 gameplay, which was really effective. If he gets voted out for it, fine, then you are right, but not a minute before then.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
+1

I love you, Jeff Probst.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »

I found the latest episode a bit dull, except for the treatment Probst gave Colton.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:13 am »

So of course there's no defending Colton at this point. I mean even I was willing to see what happened on his tribe but he wasn't able to suck it up and play the game, even if he thought his chances were bad. And of course Probst being hard on him was almost completely deserved.

...but I will have to rewatch his exit from One World again, I'm extremely skeptical that he could have faked it to the point where medical would have removed him from the game. That's quite an accusation to make to say that he faked a medical emergency (especially right after Shamar last season) and then to air it? That's really bold.

People left that I would like to see win: Tyson. Uhh, is there anyone else? At all? Let's think for a minute... maybe Candice but man I don't think so.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:41 am »

How can someone not root for Aras? As Robz put it, competence is awesome.

I agree Tyson is very likeable as well. Why Candice?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.