Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Trashing Kingdom (No Log)  (Read 1268 times)

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
The Trashing Kingdom (No Log)
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:49:26 am »

The other day I ended up playing a game with a very unusual kingdom and I'm interested to know people's thoughts about it.

The Kingdom:
2: Chapel
3: Doctor
4: Salvager, Thief
5: City, Duke, Graverobber, Mint
6: Farmland, Harem

The Game:
I opened Chapel and decided to get Thief figuring that it should work better than normal in the trashing heavy kingdom. He ignored the faster trashing options in favour of Salvager and bought a bunch of Cities while I stuck with Thief/Big Money. I got really lucky and hit Silver, Gold, Harem, Silver with my first 4 Thief plays ended up winning decisively with 6 dukes and 7 duchies.

Do you agree with me that Thief/BM off a Chapel opening is actually the best option on this kingdom or are there other actions I should’ve bought instead?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:51:02 am by Aidan Millow »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: The Trashing Kingdom (No Log)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:52:25 am »

Chapel is probably the wrong call here because there isn't much room for an engine. Thief has some use though because Duke seems to be favored here. Eventually, someone could get the City stack to work, but at the other expense of the other player winning the Duchy split. Really, Duke is the only thing that sticks out to me here.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:41:32 am »

Duke looks best, and Thief could help that strategy.  I think Chapel is actually a bit of a trap here.  There isn't any virtual coin (other than Salvager) so you will rely on treasure, and a trim deck means your good treasures can be stolen more easily by an opponent's Thief.  You got lucky and stole good treasures, but if your opponent had picked up a Thief he could have stolen them back easily, no great luck required.  Chapel is better for engines but I don't think there is an engine here.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:47:05 pm »

I like this kingdom!

I agree with BA that Chapel is not as good as usual because you are going for a money strategy and the presence of Thief.

I like Salvager-Money but do not like Cities until a pile goes out, if at all. I think I would actually build a Province deck. I think Duke-Duchy can be blocked here. I would watch my opponent carefully and match their Duchy buying, but I would be going for Provinces, not Duke. Duchies are out? Cities look pretty good, now -- I'll take that on $5 since I'm not going for Duke. Salvage those Duchies into Provinces. Farmland helps, too. Harem to give you even more of a VP boost late while avoiding Dukes and Estates. If the Duke-Duchy player doesn't go Salvager, as well, it might take too long to three pile.

If my opponent goes Chapel, I would definitely consider Thief.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »

I like Polks plan.

I'd go salv, then going for a duchy split and salv those duchies into provinces, taking cities over dukes once the duchies run out.

If he leaves duchies uncontested, obviously go duke.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.497 seconds with 21 queries.