Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613391 times)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #2925 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:11 am »

Man, I haven't played in a while, and I hadn't come to this thread in a while, and I came in and saw they destroyed Innervate and, OK, nope, I don't need more persuasion not to return.

Seriously, Innervate is just a coin now?  Also, I guess Aggro Warrior is a thing of the past with the War Axe change.
Obviously I don't know how much or how little you've been following the scene in your absence, but I think I'd warn against judging based purely on one (admittedly questionable) nerf.  Druid is still pretty OK, if that's your thing (Ultimate Infestation OP), and there's a hell of a lot of fun decks out there - some are even good! (Big Priest is hilarious)

Killing Aggro/Pirate Warrior can only be a good thing.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 12, 2017, 04:23:42 am »

I'm just wondering why they need to make similar cards in future sets, using up card slots in the expansion, just to replace Basic cards holding up class identity when they can just keep using those Basic cards. I guess the idea you're proposing is like those "core sets" in MtG where you only include the staples you want to include for that rotation. In that case, the Hearthstone team can selectively allow only part of the Basic set into Standard, and change the subset of Standard legal Basic cards after each rotation. To me, a subset Basic cards rotating in and out sounds like a good way to go about things if they are willing to put the effort to make it work.

If they feel like the class identity is failing. They could reintroduce cards. They wouldn't have to, but they could.

I thought about including specific cards each rotation. And while I think it's probably the best solution balance wise, it's not really good for casual players. I think the Hall of Fame is bad for the same reason. Even though I like the effect of it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:18 am »

I'm just wondering why they need to make similar cards in future sets, using up card slots in the expansion, just to replace Basic cards holding up class identity when they can just keep using those Basic cards. I guess the idea you're proposing is like those "core sets" in MtG where you only include the staples you want to include for that rotation. In that case, the Hearthstone team can selectively allow only part of the Basic set into Standard, and change the subset of Standard legal Basic cards after each rotation. To me, a subset Basic cards rotating in and out sounds like a good way to go about things if they are willing to put the effort to make it work.

If they feel like the class identity is failing. They could reintroduce cards. They wouldn't have to, but they could.

I thought about including specific cards each rotation. And while I think it's probably the best solution balance wise, it's not really good for casual players. I think the Hall of Fame is bad for the same reason. Even though I like the effect of it.

For the record, I do kind of think that Standard is not doing well in accomplishing one of its primary goals of making it easier for new or very casual players to catch up with the card base with the current card acquisition model in place. I guess you can make a cheap Hunter deck or something at least? For balance purposes, Standard makes sense.

I do wish they didn't nerf Fiery War Axe to the extent that they did. If they were worried about Wild Pirate Warriors, Ship's Cannon is the bigger problem card. I'm all for a solution that minimizes these kinds of nerfs to Basic/Classic cards in the future.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:15:19 am by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:41 am »
+1

Well, here it is, my luckiest pack ever after today's Tavern Brawl.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 14, 2017, 12:25:17 am »

I also have a Golden Cairne

Can we swap 80 gold quests and golden cairne eachother?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 14, 2017, 07:47:06 am »

I also have a Golden Cairne

Can we swap 80 gold quests and golden cairne eachother?

Sure. More chance to see him in Golden glory.

Man, getting these Legendaries now feels a bit late, but Grommash should still be of great use, and Cairns might once again have some time in the sun one day in a standard cycle.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 14, 2017, 10:26:23 am »

Are you relatively new? I can't imagine not having these cards a couple years ago. the system nowadays won't award you duplicate legendaries.

That's far luckier than any pack I've ever opened.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: December 15, 2017, 10:19:16 pm »

Are you relatively new? I can't imagine not having these cards a couple years ago. the system nowadays won't award you duplicate legendaries.

I played since before Naxxramas (but after the beta), and rarely missed my daily quests. I guess I just haven't opened too many classic pack since they started making expansion packs available, like those from GvG, and I would just get those. I wouldn't be opening classic packs at all if it weren't for Tavern Brawl.

I remember getting the welcome bundle and getting a duplicate class legendary for classic, which sucked because I only had two or three classic class legendaries at the time. Grommash brings that up to 5/9 classic class legendaries as of today. I am still missing:
- Tirion Fordring
- Edwin Vancleef
- Jaraxxus
- Al'Akir the Windlord

And never bothered to craft them. I am also missing as a few neutral Legendaries like Deathwing and Tinkmaster Overspark. I did craft Ysera around TGT and Bloodmage Thalnos back in Mean Streets. Also dusted my worthless Golden Gruul, but have my Golden Milhouse handy in my collection in all his glory.

For the longest time I never had the cards to build a classic "Wallet Warrior" and never got too into the class. Even as of today, my Warrior is only at level 50 (because Warrior generally sucked in arena as well). You can manage without Jaraxxus or Edwin, but lacking Tirion meant that I would never play Control Paladin, and at best would play midrange Recruit Paladin with Quartermaster (I did open Wickerflame, and have crafted Sunkeeper Tarim from Un'goro).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: December 16, 2017, 03:56:12 am »

Is a golden legendary of a legendary you already own considered a duplicate? 

That seems really weird.  Like, the next time we have a Dr. Boom, there will be a lower proportion of gilded class legendaries because people will craft staples right away.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 16, 2017, 10:54:19 am »

Is a golden legendary of a legendary you already own considered a duplicate? 

That seems really weird.  Like, the next time we have a Dr. Boom, there will be a lower proportion of gilded class legendaries because people will craft staples right away.

Yes, you can't open a golden legendary of a legendary that you own a non-golden copy of unless you have all the legendaries in that set. It's a bit awkward, yes. If you really want a legendary golden, you'd want to craft it in gold early so you don't later open a non-golden one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2935 on: January 08, 2018, 12:45:22 pm »

I just unlocked my first Golden hero (Paladin).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: January 08, 2018, 09:18:37 pm »

I finally beat a dungeon with Paladin. I generally do well to level 7 or 8 and then it gets ripped away by usually the guy that burns your deck every turn. Like, I don't think he is beatable without the random pyroblast until someone dies card. I think it will be a very long time before I earn the card back.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:59 am »

I finally beat a dungeon with Paladin. I generally do well to level 7 or 8 and then it gets ripped away by usually the guy that burns your deck every turn. Like, I don't think he is beatable without the random pyroblast until someone dies card. I think it will be a very long time before I earn the card back.
Sounds like you've gotten pretty unlucky with Azari (the burn-deck guy).  I'd say he's one of the easiest bosses unless you happen to get a REALLY unlucky draw.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: January 09, 2018, 10:46:38 am »

Sounds like you've gotten pretty unlucky with Azari (the burn-deck guy).  I'd say he's one of the easiest bosses unless you happen to get a REALLY unlucky draw.

Really? I always die to fatigue while he puts down minions that can trade out my board and continue to punch my face and he still has 15 or so cards in deck. You only get 10 turns before going to fatigue since you draw one and he burns 2. God help you if you have drawing power in your deck. I had a deck with 2 cthuns and 2 candles (an anti-fatigue card) and he burned all of that. Contrast with Jeeru who I always rofl stomp while she burns her own cards.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: January 09, 2018, 11:53:27 am »

Really? I always die to fatigue while he puts down minions that can trade out my board and continue to punch my face and he still has 15 or so cards in deck. You only get 10 turns before going to fatigue since you draw one and he burns 2. God help you if you have drawing power in your deck. I had a deck with 2 cthuns and 2 candles (an anti-fatigue card) and he burned all of that. Contrast with Jeeru who I always rofl stomp while she burns her own cards.

It feels like you have to have a ridiculously greedy deck to get done in by Jeeru the Genie. I wonder if it's actually supposed to be a joke boss of sorts. I think Jeeru's deck even has fewer cards than yours.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: January 09, 2018, 12:30:11 pm »

You only get 10 turns before going to fatigue since you draw one and he burns 2.

This is inaccurate because you start with five cards in hand. This puts you closer to 8 turns. It also means you only get to use less than half your deck unless you can draw it up yourself which results in fatigue sooner. It's interesting to hear that he has proven easy for others because I thought he was actually impossible before.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: January 09, 2018, 12:56:48 pm »

You only get 10 turns before going to fatigue since you draw one and he burns 2.

This is inaccurate because you start with five cards in hand. This puts you closer to 8 turns. It also means you only get to use less than half your deck unless you can draw it up yourself which results in fatigue sooner. It's interesting to hear that he has proven easy for others because I thought he was actually impossible before.

It's partly because he only uses collectible cards and has a hero power that doesn't affect the board. He also plays a lot of cards that self-damage and has bad AI (they all do probably). The hard part is that he has at least one copy of Doooom!. Sometimes you can use his copy of Mal'ghanis to your advantage depending on your treasures.

Basically, Azari puts you on a clock in a way the others don't. Also, "THE CANDLE" would just get milled the turn after you play it if you have an empty deck.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: January 10, 2018, 05:21:38 am »

I think basically it comes down to whether or not you draw your treasures. 

I typically find that 13 cards + one decent treasure is enough to beat him because his actual deck isn't that great and his hero power sucks. (EDIT: in terms of taking control of the board, that is.)

I'd much rather face him than, say, the beholder (Xol?), who is just a spectacular RNG fest from start to finish.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:25 am »

Even more of an RNG fest is King Togwaggle, though at least Togwaggle might be beatable with aggro. Xol the Unscathed has some aggro defense. You generally have to hope you can discard the Warlock Quest with Howlfiend after it is completed.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »

Xol's the toughest of the bosses in my opinion. Also has anyone had any luck beating Dungeon Run with Warlock, Priest or Mage? If so what is your secret.

I beat Paladin on my first or second try though, maybe I got lucky, but thought it was one of the easier classes. Pretty sure I started with a Captured Flag though which helps a lot.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:42 pm »

Xol's the toughest of the bosses in my opinion. Also has anyone had any luck beating Dungeon Run with Warlock, Priest or Mage? If so what is your secret.

I beat Paladin on my first or second try though, maybe I got lucky, but thought it was one of the easier classes. Pretty sure I started with a Captured Flag though which helps a lot.
I've beaten the run with all classes. 
I cannot remember how I did it specifically for those three classes.

I guess my primary advice is to do your best to build a very controlling deck.  Warlock, Priest and Mage are all very capable of building strong control decks, and in general the more aggressive bosses are early on, when you can probably win anyway.  (ie build with the goal of beating the final boss; the rest should take care of itself if you play reasonably well).
That strategy will get absolutely destroyed by the guy who reduces his minion cost and has loads of big beasts (can't remember his name).  But that's only going to happen on a small number of runs.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: February 15, 2018, 05:03:16 pm »

The main trick for Xol is that her emotes tell you which beam card she got (see https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Xol_the_Unscathed for a list). Sometimes you can abuse her Howlfiend to discard her quest after she finishes it. If you have Gloves of Mugging, then obviously try to steal the quest. Xol is actually my highest winrate final boss (6 wins of 7 attempts). My worst is King Togwaggle.

This is a pretty good guide to Dungeon Run: https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/7qtrt9/noblords_guide_to_dungeon_runs/. My personal notes for the classes you mentioned:

Warlock -- My wins have been with zoo.
Mage -- The guide was extremely helpful, because there are some packages you _must_ avoid or get too many spells, and it's very helpful to pick packages that may show you Frost Lich Jaina later on.
Priest -- I haven't played it very much, and never since reading the guide. Oddly, I've had some success with double deathrattle, which the guide thinks is terrible, so YMMV.

A good reference: https://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Dungeon_Run. Look at packages before you pick them to see whether you are helping your later drafts. And look at boss decks to know what to play around (if you can).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:25:11 pm by blueblimp »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: February 15, 2018, 06:27:46 pm »

The other day I was playing Dungeon Run for the "Win 7 Games" quest, and I started to fill up a "Beat 5 Dungeon Run Bosses" quest. The Dungeon Run quest wasn't in my quest log, and I didn't know it made itself available once again. Anyone here have a similar experience?

For Mage, I won with Spell Power boost treasure, lots of board clears, and Frost Lich Jaina against the Darkness. Warlock I got lucky with Highlander. Priest was an even bigger luck fest, where I got a treasure that gave me Mage spells every turn and that worked out against Azari.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: June 16, 2018, 07:50:10 pm »
+1

I finally got all of my heroes to Level 60. For the longest time I didn't play much Warrior, but I've been playing Quest Warrior recently.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:02 am »

Some early spoilers for the next expansion show off the Magnetic mechanic where a minion with that keyword can add their card text and stats to a Mech on the board.

I'm guessing that early test versions of this mechanic ended up being broken with Stonetusk Boar, a card they claim limits design space heavily. I don't know of any Mechs with Charge, so maybe they saw this gap in keywords for Mechs as a sort of lucky opportunity to push this kind of mechanic by restricting it to Mechs.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.