Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613404 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #2775 on: December 11, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »

It's bad game design to build the decks for your playerbase in a ccg

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: December 11, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

I mean, upon creating cards, just making random cards and hoping they work is not good design. The devs need to have an idea of what decks are possible, and need to test them before releasing cards. This with HS is that they want to keep it simple, so they make cards that just obviously fit all together to make a deck, instead of having complex cards that the players need to figure out.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:38 pm »

I mean, upon creating cards, just making random cards and hoping they work is not good design. The devs need to have an idea of what decks are possible, and need to test them before releasing cards. This with HS is that they want to keep it simple, so they make cards that just obviously fit all together to make a deck, instead of having complex cards that the players need to figure out.

I feel the Goons succeed in having cards that do not shoehorn you to play a specific deck. You can make a Goons heavy deck, or use a few of the new cards to boost other deck themes. For example, Smuggler's Run and Grimscale Chum are great tools for Murloc Paladin (and Murlocs are always relevant because of the new Murloc quests). It turns out a 4/4 Murloc Warleader is way better than a 3/3 Warleader. It's also the new mechanic that is most likely to work well with future sets.

Jade, it's like "Maybe I'll skip the legendary". The Reno Kabal decks mostly use the best standalone cards available to the classes as well as the most usable anti-aggro cards. Many of them are looking pretty similar.

On a side note, Kazakus (which I crafted) is strong enough to almost negate the downside of having a Highlander deck. So much versatility, and it can even counter a N'Zoth board if it wants. Geez wow.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: January 25, 2017, 08:36:12 pm »

Finally got Golden Warrior portrait.

This leaves 18 more wins on Priest and 179 on Shaman for a complete set. Then I guess the only 2 remaining milestones I am interested in are Legend card back and all Classic cards (probably lack 5 or 6 crappy legendaries, here).

I've given up on getting all cards in the game since they brought in Standard format and discontinued the ability to get packs of past sets. Also, I gave up on the all gold cards idea pretty early on.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: January 26, 2017, 10:03:34 am »

This leaves 18 more wins on Priest and 179 on Shaman for a complete set. Then I guess the only 2 remaining milestones I am interested in are Legend card back and all Classic cards (probably lack 5 or 6 crappy legendaries, here).

I've given up on getting all cards in the game since they brought in Standard format and discontinued the ability to get packs of past sets. Also, I gave up on the all gold cards idea pretty early on.
I haven't played much on ladder for months (nearly a year - since I hit legend for the first and only time, my reason for playing ladder kinda died), but Kazakus has pulled me back in.  Renolock may not be the best deck on the ladder, but it's decent, and SO MUCH FUN. 
Complete set of golden portraits is impressive: I've only got Priest and Paladin (and nearly Warlock).

I might not be far away from a complete Classic set, that's a goal of yours I might have to copy.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: January 26, 2017, 10:59:10 am »

Highest rank I've hit was 3 or 4 back when Zoolock dominated the meta. What a grind to get from 5 to 1 and also seems like you will have to use a tier 1 net deck so I'm not looking forward to that achievement at all. I typically end seasons in the high single digits (7-9) but I'm pretty sure I'm having more fun than all the netdeck of the moment try hards out there. At least I tell myself that. I've taken to playing way more Casual since I don't need ranked wins for portraits much anymore and it's really odd how many people are running the same boring shit as you expect to see on Ranked. I'd say 40-50% of the Casual games are creative and fun, though (unless it's just the poor rank newbs with no collection).

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »

I haven't played much on ladder for months (nearly a year - since I hit legend for the first and only time, my reason for playing ladder kinda died), but Kazakus has pulled me back in.  Renolock may not be the best deck on the ladder, but it's decent, and SO MUCH FUN. 
Complete set of golden portraits is impressive: I've only got Priest and Paladin (and nearly Warlock).

I might not be far away from a complete Classic set, that's a goal of yours I might have to copy.

Kazakus is fun, but mid-range decks suffer big time when both Kazakus and Reno are in the same deck. I think it will be nice to see some more highlander cards once Reno rotates out that are not just a Reno variant.

I struggled to reach rank 5 (edit: this season) until I caved in and went Aggro Shaman. It got the job done quite nicely.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:54:24 pm by markusin »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37:22 pm »

Highest rank I've hit was 3 or 4 back when Zoolock dominated the meta. What a grind to get from 5 to 1 and also seems like you will have to use a tier 1 net deck so I'm not looking forward to that achievement at all. I typically end seasons in the high single digits (7-9) but I'm pretty sure I'm having more fun than all the netdeck of the moment try hards out there. At least I tell myself that. I've taken to playing way more Casual since I don't need ranked wins for portraits much anymore and it's really odd how many people are running the same boring shit as you expect to see on Ranked. I'd say 40-50% of the Casual games are creative and fun, though (unless it's just the poor rank newbs with no collection).
I was pretty proud of myself, having made a midrange Paladin quite different from the netdecked variants at the time (this was a while back) and hit legend with that. 
But yeah, the grind from 3/4 to Legend was pretty grim.  I was on Rank 1 with 3-5 stars for days.

The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »

Highest I ever got was Rank 2 with Dragon Priest during the Grand Tournament era. I just couldn't overcome the sudden loss streaks to make it farther.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 26, 2017, 02:01:52 pm »

You know I was thinking recently, that once the next rotation comes around afte the next expansion release, Whispers of the Old Gods will be the oldest expansion in Standard. This could mean C'Thun decks might be the best decks available to take advantage of any current and upcoming control tools once the next expansion hits. At any rate, it's good that C'Thun is still a freebie once you open a WotOG pack, as C'Thun could still be good for new players to get wins at that point.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:03:03 pm by markusin »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:25 pm »

I ran C'thun Warrior for the final 50 or 60 ranked wins and hovered around Rank 11 with it, so it is definitely viable.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 26, 2017, 02:43:59 pm »

I ran C'thun Warrior for the final 50 or 60 ranked wins and hovered around Rank 11 with it, so it is definitely viable.

Would you believe I still don't have a single Shield Slam? I've never dipped my toes in Control "Wallet" Warrior primarily due to lack of cards. C'Thun Warrior seems like the most accessible Control Warrior deck because you don't necessarily need big legendaries like Grommash or Ragnaros.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: January 26, 2017, 03:11:07 pm »

The highest I've reached was Rank 7 with token Hunter post-Karazhan. Currently I'm stuck at rank 9 with a similar deck. It's not a great time to be a Hunter right now.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: January 26, 2017, 03:20:58 pm »

Would you believe I still don't have a single Shield Slam? I've never dipped my toes in Control "Wallet" Warrior primarily due to lack of cards. C'Thun Warrior seems like the most accessible Control Warrior deck because you don't necessarily need big legendaries like Grommash or Ragnaros.

Shield Slam is a key card in this deck because it tends to rack up big armor and can remove Ysera, Giant Taunts, etc. Ancient Shieldbearer and Twin Emperor Vek'lor are also key cards. Crazed Worshiper is either hit or miss depending on the deck your facing. The Kabal classes remove it pretty easily. Ravaging Ghoul is pretty clutch against the Pirate Decks and for enabling Execute. The other must include is Brawl which i'd put in 3 if it were possible; these are easy to play one turn too early. Obviously, C'thun and cards that pump him are auto-includes.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: January 26, 2017, 03:32:34 pm »

The highest I've reached was Rank 7 with token Hunter post-Karazhan. Currently I'm stuck at rank 9 with a similar deck. It's not a great time to be a Hunter right now.

Oh man, Hunter was beast (forgive the pun) in Karazhan right before the nerf to Call of the Wild. I even had The Curator in there with one Azure Drake since it curved nicely into 8 mana CotW. Good enough to get to Rank 5, with nice 5 drops all around.

I think Kindly Grandmother pushed CotW over the edge. I didn't think a 1-mana nerf would be so impactful but the card feels so much worse now.

It's sad because Hunter got good cards for its midrange archetype (3/2 Trogg Beastrager card replaces Elek after rotation, Rat Pack is neat). It's just that midrange archetype is in a terrible spot right now. Struggles against both Aggro and Kazakus Reno, with CotW too slow now to help win before the opponent stabilizes or kills you.

Edit: oh yeah I am fortunate enough to have opened Twin Emperors a month of two ago. I think I am only missing the Shield Slams and maybe one Brawl to get a decent C'Thun Warrior going. The Alley Armorsmith seems like a decent sub for Crazed Worshiper.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:14:22 pm by markusin »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:56 am »

Hearthstone is now giving me golden basic neutral cards. ugh. I wish there was a way to keep these from cluttering up my collection. Browsing my collection takes long enough without these completely pointless extra copies of cards.

BTW, I'm wondering why my Hearthstone noob thread was locked?

In other news, I've been having fun with this stealth rogue deck, working better than I thought it would:
Backstab
Preparation
Shadowstep
Cold Blood
Journey Below
Swashburglar (2)
Eviscerate (2)
Loot Hoarder
Patient Assassin
Sap
Twisted Worgen
Undercity Huckster (2)
(Are You a) Fan of Knives ? (2)
Perditions's Blade
Questing Adventurer
Shadow Rager
Shadow Strike
SI: 7 Agent (2 -finally got a 2nd one of these, yay!)
Master of Disguise
Shadow Sensei
Assassinate
Ethereal Peddler
Lotus Agents
Stranglethorn Tiger
Thistle Tea

I like how stealth can act kinda like 1-turn-delayed charge.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2791 on: February 05, 2017, 02:23:00 am »

Hearthstone is now giving me golden basic neutral cards. ugh. I wish there was a way to keep these from cluttering up my collection. Browsing my collection takes long enough without these completely pointless extra copies of cards.

Just use the search, that way you don't even have to browse the collection.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:16 am »

It's not a bad deal when you aim to have golden decks/collections.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 06, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »

Just use the search, that way you don't even have to browse the collection.
The search is only useful if you already know exactly what you're looking for. I use the cost botton shortcuts, but it's still sometimes slow that way.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 16, 2017, 01:31:28 pm »

Just in case you guys haven't heard yet. The year of the Mammoth is coming.

Several cards are being rotated to wild. This includes Azure Drake, Ragnaros the Firelord, Sylvanas Windrunner, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance, and Conceal. If you have any of those cards, they are giving you the dust required to craft those cards. In other words, Blizzard's giving us a crapload of dust.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/2247-some-classic-cards-moving-to-wild-three-expansions?page=2

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:52 pm »

Also, you can basically craft these cards for free if you do it now, including golden versions if you don't have enough regulars.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:34:36 pm by Watno »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 16, 2017, 02:38:10 pm »

Really not happy to see neutral legendaries going to Wild, especially Sylvanas.

Edit: Just got on about the dust part. That definitely takes the sting out mostly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:43:26 pm by pingpongsam »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »

Edit: Just got on about the dust part. That definitely takes the sting out mostly.

Yes, the time has finally come for me to craft Ragnaros.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 16, 2017, 04:58:02 pm »
+1

It honestly a good thing. Im surprised Alextraza isn't being put into Wild. But Ice lance, coneal (1 mana spells that can give you tons of damage in 1 turn) going are a really good thing. And the nerfs on 1 mana 3/2 and Spirit Claws are also good.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 16, 2017, 05:53:52 pm »

It honestly a good thing. Im surprised Alextraza isn't being put into Wild. But Ice lance, coneal (1 mana spells that can give you tons of damage in 1 turn) going are a really good thing. And the nerfs on 1 mana 3/2 and Spirit Claws are also good.

If you think of about it though, Ice Lance is one of the true culprits of Freeze Mage power. Healing after Alextrasza would be a counterplay if Ice Lance wasn't so efficient that it kills you anyway. Alex Warrior hasn't been seen much these days.

The nerf to Small Time Buckaneer (now has 1 Health) now means Priest can use Potion of Madness on Patches to kill both Patches and STB, besides making STB ping-able.

More Wild support sounds neat.

Edit: I just checked, and it looks like I already have two golden copies of Ice Lance and Conceal. That's a lot of extra dust coming my way.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:54:02 pm by markusin »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.