Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 617857 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #1325 on: June 15, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »

Handlock is the hardest counter to Miracle, but it's the softest hardest counter that there is.

Control freeze mage with two ice blocks is a hard-hard counter to miracle.
Yeah, ok, there's that.  That wasn't viable a couple weeks ago, but maybe it is now that miracle is getting ridiculously popular.  The other aspects of the matchup spread used to have issues, including that now-extinct control warrior..

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 15, 2014, 11:45:50 pm »

First time on Arena Mastery...odd Warrior deck I just made.  2 Legendaries, though.  Hmmm...

Will update with results.  I tried to follow Trump and Massan's lists, plus Arena Mastery ratings.

http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?shared=hs5396764902e59&arena=274760

And went a pathetic 1-3.  Any comments and tips welcome.  I felt like I was in good shape in all games, but couldn't finish it off.  I played Alex in every single game, Grommash in one game.

Fiery War Axe is great, I would have taken every one I saw. You can't have too many of them, there's very, very few cards I'd take over it.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 16, 2014, 12:15:52 am »

Yes, I would play up to 15 Fiery War Axes I think.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:35 am »

And as for fighting Yeti, it beats yeti, because it always comes down earlier.  If you play it turn 3 on the play, you can't answer it with a coin yeti efficiently, because the priest can play just about any minion and ram the deathpriest into the yeti and get great value.  2/5 shade, 4/8 yeti, 3/8 Senjin, whatever.

My point has nothing to do with Yeti in particular, it's that Cultist is a 3/4 and won't ever grow on its own, so it can't trade up. It's a good sized minion that may buff something else or force your opponent to play subuoptimally to avoid the deathrattle. That's very good, but imo, it's not significantly better than Unbound Elemental.

Miracle matchup is no better than 50/50.  Handlock is a bad matchup.  Zoo is a terrible matchup.  Druid is uphill.  Shaman is a terrible matchup.

The main draw to playing control warrior was having a strong matchup against trap hunter, but trap hunter is all but extinct with UTH nerfed.  There's little reason to play control warrior now. 

I don't agree on your evaluations here. I guess the problem is there is quite a wide range of control Warrior decks. 2 control Warriors may differ by as many as 12 cards or something. I think the better ladder versions currently are the ones running more midrange, specifically Korkron and Reaper. Those cards come out early enough and can 2-for-1 the zoo stuff, or they can start applying early pressure to low-minion decks. My list:
2x Execute
2x Shield Slam
2x Whirlwind
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Slam
2x Armorsmith
2x Taskmaster
2x Shield Block
2x Acolyte
1x Frothing
2x Korkorn
1x Reaper
1x Brawl
2x Azure Drake
1x Mercenary
1x Baron Geddon
1x Grommash
1x Rag
1x Alextrasza

This thing has even matchups vs Miracle and both kinds of Warlocks, bad vs Shaman, and good vs Druid. Druid is more common than Shaman atm, so I think it's good.

Yes, I would play up to 15 Fiery War Axes I think.
15 is too many. You can at most play 1 every other turn. The value gradually goes down as you get more. After 2, I prefer Reaper, 3 Yeti, and so on. After 5, they're probably below average.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:34 pm »

Big time drama in the Dreamhack finals in which one player was receiving mid-game messages of what cards his opponent held.  Despite this happening in sight of everyone on the livestream no game was remade.  He could easily be a victim of an idiot on his friends list so I wouldn't necessarily blast the player, but it looks very bad.  I think it shows a real lack of preparation from the organizers not to anticipate such a problem to prevent it from happening beforehand.  I imagine future tournaments will be handled differently.  Growing pains for the game, hopefully. 

Here is a reddit thread overflowing with drama if anyone is interested: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/28bdt3/dreamhack_finals_controversy_megathread/

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:08 pm »

I can't believe there's no way to set status to busy so you don't get messages. They have it in starcraft...

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:16 pm »

I think this whole thing should make Blizzard make the game more tournament friendly. I don't think they will, though.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 17, 2014, 12:40:05 am »

I just played a really interesting game against a priest. He had a better deck than me and was very close to winning. However, he had set up a very efficient combination of northshire cleric + lightwell + nat pagle. In addition, he stole a cult master from my deck and was using that as well. Luckily for me, his deck ran out and he began taking a lot of hits from fatigue. Also luckily for me, I managed to draw purely taunts for several turns--long enough to buy myself time as he took damage from his own system. At this time, he was maxed out on minions, and I only had 1-2 on the battlefield. Finally, the turn before he would have won, he died of fatigue. Earlier, before his deck ran out, I had the chance to take out his northshire cleric and lightwell, but hit face instead. I'm really glad that I did.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 17, 2014, 12:44:57 am »

I just played a really interesting game against a priest. He had a better deck than me and was very close to winning. However, he had set up a very efficient combination of northshire cleric + lightwell + nat pagle. In addition, he stole a cult master from my deck and was using that as well. Luckily for me, his deck ran out and he began taking a lot of hits from fatigue. Also luckily for me, I managed to draw purely taunts for several turns--long enough to buy myself time as he took damage from his own system. At this time, he was maxed out on minions, and I only had 1-2 on the battlefield. Finally, the turn before he would have won, he died of fatigue. Earlier, before his deck ran out, I had the chance to take out his northshire cleric and lightwell, but hit face instead. I'm really glad that I did.

I think there are some neat Priest possibilities, but it seems they aren't in the meta right now?

I faced a Priest that ran double Lightwell early and it was just a pain to do anything.  I didn't have any straight removal as a Warrior that could hit for 5 and erase them.  Annoying, to say the least.  He later double Shadowformed and...well, that was that.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:56 am »

I think there are some neat Priest possibilities, but it seems they aren't in the meta right now?

I faced a Priest that ran double Lightwell early and it was just a pain to do anything.  I didn't have any straight removal as a Warrior that could hit for 5 and erase them.  Annoying, to say the least.  He later double Shadowformed and...well, that was that.
I play almost straight Paladin, and priests are some of the more annoying matchups for me. I hate the whole Lightspawn + Inner Fire, and the spells, Shadow Word: Death in particular can really ruin your day. I've tried playing priest some, but don't own that many of the powerful cards. I just got a golden lightspawn that I'm thinking about disenchanting though. For sure, I can see a double lightwell being very annoying. It seems like Priests are just really good at keeping their minions on the field.

Lately, I find myself disenchanting most cards for other heroes in order to build up my Paladin. But I wonder if this might not be the best thing to do. I play mostly ranked matchups, and don't have anywhere near the 1600 dust for Tirion Fordring--though I did craft a Sword of Justice. My best arena game is 2-3 that I just played today, so I feel like my money is still better spent on the straight card packs.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:03 am »

I play almost straight Paladin, and priests are some of the more annoying matchups for me. I hate the whole Lightspawn + Inner Fire, and the spells, Shadow Word: Death in particular can really ruin your day. I've tried playing priest some, but don't own that many of the powerful cards. I just got a golden lightspawn that I'm thinking about disenchanting though. For sure, I can see a double lightwell being very annoying. It seems like Priests are just really good at keeping their minions on the field.

Lately, I find myself disenchanting most cards for other heroes in order to build up my Paladin. But I wonder if this might not be the best thing to do. I play mostly ranked matchups, and don't have anywhere near the 1600 dust for Tirion Fordring--though I did craft a Sword of Justice. My best arena game is 2-3 that I just played today, so I feel like my money is still better spent on the straight card packs.

Do you have Lay on Hands?  That card seems sick.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:00 am »

Are people still interested in a Hearthstone tournament? I feel like it kind of died with the debate about what the format should be.

I'm still fond of soulbound + commons only, because it cripples a lot of decks and no one's really tried anything with that restriction. If you allow a couple rares, you can basically netdeck a Zoolock, but if you don't have Young Priestess or Doomguard, I'm not certain Zoo is as dominating.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 17, 2014, 01:26:17 am »

Oh. I wish I did! I played a mirror matchup today and my opponent played it; it was the first time I saw it. Needless to say, he ended up winning. That card is close to #1 on my list to acquire. That, and I'm still looking to pull off an Equality + Consecration combo. Of the regular cards, Consecration is probably my favorite. Things can get out of control with aggro decks and Shamans, and Consecration just works so well to counter your opponent spamming a bunch of weak minions. I will often wait a turn or two for them to throw down more before I play it.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 17, 2014, 08:49:20 am »

I don't have any of the "powerful cards" for Priest, and I think my deck enjoys some good success (I have 1 Shadow Madness and 1 Mass Dispel).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:08 am »

My "questing" Pally has LoH and 2 Guardian of Kings.  It loses to amazing aggro, but it's crazy in the late game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 17, 2014, 09:21:59 am »

Oh. I wish I did! I played a mirror matchup today and my opponent played it; it was the first time I saw it. Needless to say, he ended up winning. That card is close to #1 on my list to acquire. That, and I'm still looking to pull off an Equality + Consecration combo. Of the regular cards, Consecration is probably my favorite. Things can get out of control with aggro decks and Shamans, and Consecration just works so well to counter your opponent spamming a bunch of weak minions. I will often wait a turn or two for them to throw down more before I play it.
There is also the Wild pyromancer + Equality combo. That kills all minions though.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 17, 2014, 11:20:41 am »
+1

What the hell, suddenly I'm streaming games.  No sound, no talk, play your own music, Arena inc...

http://www.twitch.tv/kirian42/profile

...and a highly successful 2-3.  Wherein I make a big fuckup in the last turn of Game 3, and another in the third-to-last (?) of Game 5.  Well at least I can point to where I screwed up!

Anyway, happy for tips or whatever.  Other than the obvious "don't forget that your Truesilver heals you for two points" thing.

...also, apparently I didn't actually link the stream.

I watched the first 3 games. Game 1 was an easy win, but there are still some things that would matter in a closer game.

Game 1:

On turn 6, you have a frozen 5/3 cult master + 1/2 SoJ vs 5/5. Play your ogre!
Instead you play Argent Protector on the Cult master and Hammer the 5/5. This is a common mistake: wanting to protect the Cult Master to get more value from it, at the expense of making other good plays. Once the Cult Master has drawn a card, it has done its job. If it gets more, great, but don't waste resources to preserve it instead of spending them om doing something constructive.
5/3 divine and 3/3 is much less scary than 7/8 and 5/3. And the 3 damage to his Frost Elemntal matter very little.
He's able to respond by trading his 5/2 and playing Argent Commander to kill your Cult Master, leaving him with 4/2 vs your 3/3. If you had instead played the Ogre, he'd have to kill that instead, allowing you to draw a card, and keep the 5/3 Cult Master on the board as well as the Hammer and Argent Protector in your hand. (Ironically, the better defense for your Cult Master is just putting out a bigger threat.)

This is another important point: You played 2 cards which can essentially function as removal, but didn't remove anything. The Argent Protector shield should be used to allow a minion to deal its damage without taking damage. If you just put a shield on something that won't attack, it's a ~1 mana value (Silvermoon vs 3/3), but if you get a free attack out of a minion with say 3 damage, that's a 2~4 mana value (between Wrath and Hammer of Wrath).
It's much better to instead put a body on the board. That way, in the next turn, you can get impact from both the body AND the "removal". If you play the removal first, you can't really get impact from either next turn.

Immediately on the next turn, you make the same mistake. You play a Truesilver and face hit him from 28 to 24, which is pretty inconsequential in terms of life total. It's much better to put a minion on board (in this case Cleric, bumping your Aldor to 5/5 to survive Flamestrike). That way, next turn you can potentially attack with the Minion AND the weapon.

A couple turns later, on a clear board, you play Azure Drake and Earthen Ring Far Seer instead of Ogre and Faerie. You've wasted a good battlecry in the heal (not quite removal, but still..) and again failed to put scarier minions on the board.

You win the game easily, so you may not recognize these things as mistakes, but they still are. And they'll show up again in the games you lose (see game 3).

Game 2:

On turn 5, you're looking at an empty board vs a 3/2. I would play the Smith. You instead play Harvest Golem + hero power. Now sometimes as Paladin, you want to gain card advantage by putting out a weaker card along with a token, so you can build up the tokens to trade for cards. This is not one of those times. You don't have enough real board presence to deal with whatever he can play on turn 6. It turns out that it's a Lord of the Arena. If you had the Smith, you could kill it with the Smith and a charge off of a Sword of Justice, healing back some of the life with the Farseer. But with only a Harvest Golem, you can't kill it.

On Turn 7 you're at 20 HP with a 1/3 SoJ vs a 3/1 and 6/3 taunt.
Give up the SoJ. You have to remove the 6/3. Just play a 2/2 token, then Truesilver the 6/3. You lose 2 sword charges, but you have to cut your losses. If you don't remove the 6/3, you run the major risk of it hitting you in the face twice or more, and then you're in a world of trouble. You opt to play a 5/7 Smith instead of Truesilver, which can theoretically kill the 6/3 next turn if he can't deal wtih it, but if he can, or if he can buff the 6/3, then you lose.

Turn 8, with 1/2 SoJ vs 3/2 + 6/3 taunt, you should play MC Tech instead of Cult Master. 4/4 lives vs 4/2, and 5/3 doesn't. You're dead anyway it turns out, but again I think this is the wrong play.

Game 3:

You should throw the Sword of Justice away on the Mulligan. It's too slow of a card. You don't want it early game. Instead, you coin it out turn 2, when you should just play Amani Berzerker -- especially when you have a Truesilver in hand. You're either going to have to waste Sword charges or not want to play the Truesilver, which is one of the biggest game breakers. If you had played the Amani, you'd be able to remove the Mirror Images by turn 4, and killed the Demo with the Truesilver. Instead, by turn 4, you're already overwhelmed and have to play a Defender on a single target.

Then on turn 5, you make the same type of mistake you made in the first game. You can play a 5/7 Spiteful Smith, with 2-charge weapon remaining, threatening to turn into a 3/2 if his Demo hits it. Instead you play Faerie Dragon and cast Argent Protector on a 3/4 that already attacked.

And on turn 6, you have 3/4 divine, 3/1, and 1/1 sword vs 4/2, Demo, and 2/4. You should kill the 4/2 with the divine shield and Demo with the 3/1 and sword, and then play your Ogre. Instead you Hammer the 4/2, kill the Demo with the minions and play a token. So his board is the same (2/4), but you have a 2/2 + 3/4 instead of 6/7 + 3/4. Yeah you drew a card and saved 1 HP, but that's nothing compared to the stats you're failing to put on the board.

Turn 7, the secret is probably Mirror Entity, so you should probably play the Faerie Dragon instead of Harvest Golem. Even if it's not, the body isn't a whole lot smaller. Turn 8 again, just play a small minion first. You want to test the secret asap. You could have killed the Faerie Dragon instead of the 2/2 if you triggered the secret before attacking.

Turn 10, you should play Smith instead of Cult Master. No reason to play 4/2 when you have a 4/6.

Then turn 11, I think this is the "f---up" you're referring to, you have to kill his minions when he has lethal on board. I don't know if you counted wrong or what. Also, you have the Cult Master out, so you should do all the trading first, to see what you draw.

---

So the overall big takeaways are:
1. Don't focus so much on getting the most value out of a single card. You went out of your way to make bad plays to get use out of your Sword of Justice (and your Cult Master) at the expense of making a bigger impact on the board. No individual card should be valued that highly in arena.
2. Play your Ogres! Big minions don't do anything in your hand. They need to be on the board. You should be trying to play them at any reasonable opportunity rather than playing cantrips to dig for more cards.
3. Argent Protector should be used for removal. Don't just put a divine shield on something at the end of your turn.
4. Weapons should not hit face until you're trying to race, which shouldn't be when they're at 28 life.
5. Respect your opponent's board. If your opponent has a 6+ attack minion that you can kill, you need to kill it. Don't just set up to kill it next turn, even if that would be "more efficient". You don't know what he can do from his hand, and it's just too big of a risk to leave something that can deal that much damage to you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:34 am »
+1

commons is ok

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

I'm still interested in a tourney. Not too picky about the rules at this point.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 17, 2014, 01:55:06 pm »

There is also the Wild pyromancer + Equality combo. That kills all minions though.
Oh yeah. I just picked up an equality yesterday. I think that combo still has its uses if the enemy is way ahead. I tried to pull something similar off in arena, but it sucks cause when your opponent has the minion advantage to make it really good for you, they just kill the pyromancer. Is there someway around that?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »
+2

Hold the Pyromancer in your hand until the turn you want to play Equality/Consecration.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 17, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »

Hold the Pyromancer in your hand until the turn you want to play Equality/Consecration.
Oh, thanks. I see now I had gotten it mixed up with Doomsayer for some stupid reason. That's the problem I always have with that card, is Doomsayer getting killed before it triggers.
That makes sense now :)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 17, 2014, 02:35:16 pm »

commons is ok
I'm interested in seeing what the commons-only metagame turns out to be. Since arena is commons-oriented, it could be similar to arena play, but on the other hand, arena forces you into a midrange-ish curve that you wouldn't be limited to in commons-only. My deck-building skills are a joke though. :)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 17, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »

I'd play in a tournament. If it's a soulbound + common only I could play on either server given that I knew in advance, so that I could grind the commons needed.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1349 on: June 17, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »

Me too.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.