Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613338 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #950 on: May 26, 2014, 08:21:45 pm »

Hearthstone does indeed reward playing well, however there are very good players with very good cards and those are the people I would want to beat once I make my way into constructed ;)

They still pair you roughly with people with similar decks in casual play, so you can still build up a collection before tackling Warlocks with Giants.

I have to doubt this.  I was playing a Paladin deck with 1 Epic and perhaps 5 Rares, and got matched (as mentioned above) with a deck containing Krush, Hogger, Deathwing, Mukla, and Nat Pagle.  And I was getting similar mismatches in unrated as well.

I think they try, but they allow a wide threshold of error, so in ranked it would probably make you wait a long time to make sure you found someone close to you in rank, but in unranked it tries for someone close to you, but will be more inclined to match you with someone innappropriate to your deck consistency if there was no one else available. Unranked matchmaking favours a shorter wait time over fairer games.

I assume ranked it strictly by rank, so you play someone with the same rank as you.

I can say with certainty that it's not totally strict. You play someone who isn't too far off in rank from you. So an 18 might end up with a game against a 19 or a 16. Proof, this has happened to me many times.

Well some of that is the fact that 0 star 19 is the same as 3 star 18. But I think you are right.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 26, 2014, 08:26:11 pm »

This is the brag board, right? When I drafted this I didn't think it was anything special, but it got me to 12 wins all the same. I think this is the first arena deck I've ever had fit on one screen also.

[img width="640" height="480"]http://i.imgur.com/vVH8fw8.jpg[/img]

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 26, 2014, 09:11:43 pm »
+1

Here is my 12 win mage, nice one pager, wish I could play with this one every time:  http://i.imgur.com/RcqkoAd.jpg

3 Flamestrike
3 Water Elemental
2 Azure Drake
2 Fireball

<Drool>

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »

Here is my 12 win mage, nice one pager, wish I could play with this one every time:  http://i.imgur.com/RcqkoAd.jpg

3 Flamestrike
3 Water Elemental
2 Azure Drake
2 Fireball

<Drool>

Damn.  There's just not a single truly bad pick among those cards.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 26, 2014, 09:46:16 pm »

3 Flamestrike
3 Water Elemental
2 Azure Drake
2 Fireball

<Drool>

Damn.  There's just not a single truly bad pick among those cards.
Arcane Explosion (x2), Ironbeak Owl and Tauren Warrior are all fairly weak in arena, though maybe the presence of the Drakes, Pyromancers, and Violet Teacher make the Arcane Explosion more useful than it normally would be. Still, apart from those cards, the rest range from good through outstanding.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 26, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »

http://arenamastery.com/bjKf

I'd be happy for any commentary on what I messed up here, other than getting offered very few good 2s through the whole draft.

(This went 1-3)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:59 am »

I'd be happy for any commentary on what I messed up here, other than getting offered very few good 2s through the whole draft.

(This went 1-3)

Basically yeah, no 2's or 3's. Bluegill isn't that bad. Neither is Loot hoarder and by the end you really need 2's and 3's so that you aren't sitting around doing nothing until turn 4. Actually my best paladin decks have a good peak at 4, with some good 5's and 7's.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 27, 2014, 12:32:39 am »

I don't know if I will drop a lot of $ any time soon to play the constructed competitively, probably just stick to Arena for now and see what this expansion coming out this summer does to shake things up.
If you are good enough at arena and enjoy it enough to keep playing, your collection will build itself in no time, so you most likely won't have to spend any money.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:50 am »

(This went 1-3)

Well you got offered some 2s, but unfortunately they were mostly early against good stuff. You should have also taken the Bluegill. Still, it's not a complete loss. You have enough 2s, even though you only have one "good" one. Dire Wolf is pretty good in Paladin, since you can hero power turn 2, then Dire Wolf to trade the token for a 3/2. The Dire Wolf is a bit small for a turn 3 play, but you avoid having a bad turn 2 and you make up the one bad turn with the strong turn 4 plays. Argent Squire also works great with the Dire Wolves, so your early game is in decent shape.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 27, 2014, 10:00:05 am »

How bad is Holy Wrath?!

Also Argent Protector is amazing!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:55 am »

This is the most nuts Arena draft I've ever gotten.

http://imgur.com/dXOmpKJ

Not pictured: Assassinate, Argent Protector, 2 Kidnappers, Sylvanas Windrunner.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:45 am »

In retrospect the Kidnappers don't seem as good as I thought, but in this deck they seem to work well. (I probably should have taken the Sea Giant over the second one, but the first one was against a Patient Assassin and I think a Crab.)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 27, 2014, 01:20:28 pm »

(This went 1-3)

Well you got offered some 2s, but unfortunately they were mostly early against good stuff. You should have also taken the Bluegill. Still, it's not a complete loss. You have enough 2s, even though you only have one "good" one. Dire Wolf is pretty good in Paladin, since you can hero power turn 2, then Dire Wolf to trade the token for a 3/2. The Dire Wolf is a bit small for a turn 3 play, but you avoid having a bad turn 2 and you make up the one bad turn with the strong turn 4 plays. Argent Squire also works great with the Dire Wolves, so your early game is in decent shape.

Of course that assumes you draw a wolf in your first ten or so cards (including mulligans).  One thing you cannot do in HS is to make your own shuffle luck!

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

I don't know if I will drop a lot of $ any time soon to play the constructed competitively, probably just stick to Arena for now and see what this expansion coming out this summer does to shake things up.
If you are good enough at arena and enjoy it enough to keep playing, your collection will build itself in no time, so you most likely won't have to spend any money.

Yeah, I am starting to gather that which is why I'm holding off on dropping money on packs, spending money on Arena is much more efficient, I've spent 10 bucks to rebuy into Arenas so far and Ive opened dozens of packs.  My collection is starting to look respectable(3 legendaries, none of the great ones though).  A few more weeks with some good pack opening I figure I should be able to field several of the competitive decks.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 27, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »

In retrospect the Kidnappers don't seem as good as I thought, but in this deck they seem to work well. (I probably should have taken the Sea Giant over the second one, but the first one was against a Patient Assassin and I think a Crab.)
Kidnapper is widely considered one of the worst cards in the entire game, so... yeah, I'd go with something else. Patient Assassin is not bad.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 27, 2014, 03:04:26 pm »

Kidnapper is widely considered one of the worst cards in the entire game, so... yeah, I'd go with something else. Patient Assassin is not bad.

Patient Assassin is ok. Is kidnapper really that bad? I don't have any in my collection and only actually played him once of twice in arena.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 27, 2014, 03:57:44 pm »

He just really, really suffers from the fact that he's a 5/3 for 6, and trades with a lot of 2 drops.

If you're in a case where you have a board and they have a single minion, it's a fine card.  6 mana for a bounce and 5 attack isn't a bad trade.  It's pretty similar to a Frost Elemental in that case.

But when your opponent has multiple minions, he's just awful.  Nearly every minion trades for him, and while he theoretically generates "tempo", you lose that tempo because you spent your turn playing a 5/3 for 6 mana.  He's just not high enough impact when you're behind or when you're even to justify his inclusion over nearly any other card.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #967 on: May 27, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »

Yeah, I am starting to gather that which is why I'm holding off on dropping money on packs, spending money on Arena is much more efficient, I've spent 10 bucks to rebuy into Arenas so far and Ive opened dozens of packs.  My collection is starting to look respectable(3 legendaries, none of the great ones though).  A few more weeks with some good pack opening I figure I should be able to field several of the competitive decks.

Or just play Zoolock ...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 27, 2014, 05:26:52 pm »

Or just play Zoolock ...

Or not because then I hate you.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 27, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

Sea Giant also happens to be one of the best arena cards. Think of how good Ogre is, which is 6/7 for 6 mana, and then think about how often in arena there are 4 minions on the board, allowing you to play Sea Giant, an 8/8, for 6 mana.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:51 pm »

Or just play Zoolock ...
Zoo is IMO quite boring to play. I've recently been enjoying burst-oriented combo decks like Miracle Rogue and Kolento's special tactics warlock. For these kinds of decks, the only vital legendary is Leeroy, although even without it, you might be able to sub Arcane Golem for it and still win some games. Thalnos and (for Miracle Rogue) Edwin increase the deck strength a lot, but you can get by without them.

Miracle Rogue in particular is worth enjoying before it inevitably gets nerfed. It's the closest thing Hearthstone has to Dominion's megaturn engines, in that you can play a huge number of cards when your Auctioneer is out, and tend to finish games having cycled through nearly your entire deck.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #971 on: May 27, 2014, 05:49:45 pm »
+1

Or just play Zoolock ...

Or not because then I hate you.

The QQ tears of my Zoolock enemies are delicious.  Heck, I didn't even realize I wasn't playing "proper" Zoolock and was putting in Yetis and other random cards, but still winning with the basic principle that all my stuff should be under <$5.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »

Zoolock is just so effective, time-wise, though a couple of clears will ruin your day. I have tried out a miracle rogue deck and it is fun, but subbing a Questing Adventurer for Van Cleef is not as effective, and also lacking the Thalnos. I have been trying out an aggro Mage deck, again missing the Thalnos- the draw is worth a fair amount- my 2cost +1Spellpower guys are ok though. Again, struggling to string the wins together. Want to try and bust through lvl 10 again, so might be Zoolock time again. Or perhaps my Control Warrior deck- I have most of those power Legendaries, but not Deathwing.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 27, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »

Sea Giant also happens to be one of the best arena cards. Think of how good Ogre is, which is 6/7 for 6 mana, and then think about how often in arena there are 4 minions on the board, allowing you to play Sea Giant, an 8/8, for 6 mana.

I am aware that Sea Giant is a much better card than Kidnapper. I just really wanted to play into the Combo gimmick.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 27, 2014, 11:35:18 pm »

8 wins. I think the Kidnappers cost me one of them, but they were useful in some of the other games. Mostly in situations where I was playing ahead though. Still 175 gold, a golden common and a deck is nothing to complain about.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.