Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613456 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:21 am »

Just did my first 12-0 arena run. The deck looked good but I wasn't expecting such a good run off it. (It's a Paladin deck with no Truesilver Champion or Consecration!) Instead, most games were total blow-outs, so obviously I'm not good at judging arena deck quality. Some of my opponents were pretty bad, and/or had bad decks, and/or had bad luck, so I'm not convinced that it's just the deck quality at work.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/paladin#19:1;23:1;29:1;33:1;74:2;84:1;140:1;142:2;157:1;174:1;191:1;213:2;250:1;283:2;305:1;326:1;350:2;392:1;463:1;475:1;509:1;557:1;627:1;648:2;

It's a two legendary deck. Amusingly, for the first legendary pick, I was offered choice of: Nat Pagle, Tinkmaster, Nozdormu. That's 3 of the 4 legendaries in Trump's "terrible" tier. Then in one game, I played Pagle and got three straight draws from him, and he eventually drew an Eviscerate. That's value.

Eviscerate is a Rogue card. Paladin deck?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 24, 2014, 12:46:03 am »

Why am I seeing 1-2 legendary decks in casual play?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 24, 2014, 12:48:39 am »

Why am I seeing 1-2 legendary decks in casual play?

Casual play still tries to find people with similar decks. They have some method to do this, no one know what it is exactly, but it takes into account things like # of games played, # of wins, legendary cards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:42 am »

Just did my first 12-0 arena run. The deck looked good but I wasn't expecting such a good run off it. (It's a Paladin deck with no Truesilver Champion or Consecration!) Instead, most games were total blow-outs, so obviously I'm not good at judging arena deck quality. Some of my opponents were pretty bad, and/or had bad decks, and/or had bad luck, so I'm not convinced that it's just the deck quality at work.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/paladin#19:1;23:1;29:1;33:1;74:2;84:1;140:1;142:2;157:1;174:1;191:1;213:2;250:1;283:2;305:1;326:1;350:2;392:1;463:1;475:1;509:1;557:1;627:1;648:2;

It's a two legendary deck. Amusingly, for the first legendary pick, I was offered choice of: Nat Pagle, Tinkmaster, Nozdormu. That's 3 of the 4 legendaries in Trump's "terrible" tier. Then in one game, I played Pagle and got three straight draws from him, and he eventually drew an Eviscerate. That's value.

Eviscerate is a Rogue card. Paladin deck?

blueblimp means the enemy Rogue burned an Eviscerate to kill Pagle.

I think I'm rusty in my Hearthstone, started a new arena run and went 0-2 right off the bat. So far I'm 2-2, but I'd be glad to even hit 3 wins at this point, drafted really badly.

Edit: Well, ended at 5-3 somehow. Turns out my deck was good if it could maintain control of the board, and absolutely awful as soon as it lost it. One Starfire for removal, and 2 Abominations as AoE damage, and that was it, but a decent number of 2 and 3 drops and lots of taunt at the upper end of my curve.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:55:11 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 24, 2014, 03:38:47 am »

Mages continue to find ways to make me hate them.

Immune to fatal attacks?  What?

Sure, but only once!  And it's an Epic...

And again it thwarts me!  It's one thing to block the killing blow, but it makes you deathproof, too.  So frustrating.  I have a perfect losing record against mages who play it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:20 am »

I don't understand what's so frustrating about a card that delays the killing blow by one turn.  If I could beat you last turn, I'm rated pretty high to beat you next turn it seems.

It's like saying a Hail Mary pass is unfair

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 24, 2014, 09:38:50 am »

I think rareness isn't an inhibitor to play.  Cards costs more (mana) to make them harder to "obtain" in the King's Court sense, I suppose.  But since all cards are "obtainable," it's epic doesn't really work as a card balance mechanic.

Rarity only matters in Arena.

I don't understand what's so frustrating about a card that delays the killing blow by one turn.  If I could beat you last turn, I'm rated pretty high to beat you next turn it seems.

It's like saying a Hail Mary pass is unfair

"I could've bought the last Province if you wouldn't have bought it."

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 24, 2014, 09:40:39 am »

I have only run into a few matches that close in Hearthstone; I tend to find that they're won in the middle game mostly, and the finishing is a formality.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 24, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »

It's not that unusual to have like 10 damage on the board, and the opponent can either kill off your minions along with his and play new ones, or if you're down to that much life, kill you. With Ice Block, you just wasted a turn of minion killing in favor of winning, which usually is correct. If you know it's Ice Block, you just kill off their minions and it's not that big a deal.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 25, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »

Happiness is:  Defeating a deck with at least five legendaries in it.

Even more fun was the endgame:

Opponent:  King Krush
Me:  Big Game Hunter, Brewmaster
Opponent:  Deathwing
Me:  Big Game Hunter plus some little stuff
Opponent:  (Topdecks) King Mukla
Me:  Mukla gives +2/+2 to BGH, then do ALL the damage

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 25, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »
+1

I gotta say, playing Deathwing after your opponent just brewed a BGH has got to be one of the worst possible plays in the game. That's pretty funny.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 25, 2014, 06:01:15 pm »

I gotta say, playing Deathwing after your opponent just brewed a BGH has got to be one of the worst possible plays in the game. That's pretty funny.

Well, I had just about enough on my board to kill him.  So he traded DW for a crapton of minions, and left me with a 4/2.  But having a dead hand... hurts.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 25, 2014, 11:27:44 pm »
+1

I finally started playing Hearthstone a week ago.  I love the Arena.  I jumped into the Arena as soon as I got out of the AI grind and have been in there almost exclusively.  As a former magic player I picked the game up pretty quickly.  Had my first 12-win Arena run yesterday, very next Arena I get another 12-winner! I imagine that will be a hard record for me to ever replicate.

Such a simple game but very quick and a lot of fun, I'm addicted to it for now.  I don't know if I will drop a lot of $ any time soon to play the constructed competitively, probably just stick to Arena for now and see what this expansion coming out this summer does to shake things up.  I certainly wish Arena had rankings in the way constructed does though.  Overall I give the Hearthstone experience an 8.5/10.  The free-to-play grind isn't bad at all and the economy of Arena is rewarding to good players.   I would say Dominion is a better game but it will never get a taste of the popularity Hearthstone has(I didn't see it but I'm reading that the Arena tournament today topped out at 50k viewers on stream!). 

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 25, 2014, 11:42:20 pm »
+1

I don't know if I will drop a lot of $ any time soon to play the constructed competitively, probably just stick to Arena for now and see what this expansion coming out this summer does to shake things up.

Good play beats expensive decks super often.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 26, 2014, 11:27:30 am »

Hearthstone does indeed reward playing well, however there are very good players with very good cards and those are the people I would want to beat once I make my way into constructed ;)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 26, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »

Hearthstone does indeed reward playing well, however there are very good players with very good cards and those are the people I would want to beat once I make my way into constructed ;)

They still pair you roughly with people with similar decks in casual play, so you can still build up a collection before tackling Warlocks with Giants.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 26, 2014, 12:59:36 pm »

They still pair you roughly with people with similar decks in casual play, so you can still build up a collection before tackling Warlocks with Giants.

I have to doubt this.  I was playing a Paladin deck with 1 Epic and perhaps 5 Rares, and got matched (as mentioned above) with a deck containing Krush, Hogger, Deathwing, Mukla, and Nat Pagle.  And I was getting similar mismatches in unrated as well.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 26, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »

I have to doubt this.  I was playing a Paladin deck with 1 Epic and perhaps 5 Rares, and got matched (as mentioned above) with a deck containing Krush, Hogger, Deathwing, Mukla, and Nat Pagle.  And I was getting similar mismatches in unrated as well.

I think they try, but they allow a wide threshold of error, so in ranked it would probably make you wait a long time to make sure you found someone close to you in rank, but in unranked it tries for someone close to you, but will be more inclined to match you with someone innappropriate to your deck consistency if there was no one else available. Unranked matchmaking favours a shorter wait time over fairer games.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 26, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »

None of those cards are actually top-tier cards, though... so it could be that you were playing against a bad player who had legendaries.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 26, 2014, 02:43:52 pm »

I think they try, but they allow a wide threshold of error, so in ranked it would probably make you wait a long time to make sure you found someone close to you in rank, but in unranked it tries for someone close to you, but will be more inclined to match you with someone innappropriate to your deck consistency if there was no one else available. Unranked matchmaking favours a shorter wait time over fairer games.

I assume ranked it strictly by rank, so you play someone with the same rank as you.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: May 26, 2014, 03:17:05 pm »

[/quote]

I know that, and have been building gold here and there in casual play, the distinction I was trying to make was when I said "competitively" in the original statement

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 26, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »

I assume ranked it strictly by rank, so you play someone with the same rank as you.

I can say with certainty that it's not totally strict. You play someone who isn't too far off in rank from you. So an 18 might end up with a game against a 19 or a 16. Proof, this has happened to me many times.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 26, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »
+1

This just happened in Arena... #priestmirrors I guess

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:25 pm »

Two Faceless?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:09 pm »

I Thoughtstole one and played it, he Mind Controlled it and then Facelessed and played his own.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.