Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613426 times)

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #850 on: May 18, 2014, 12:43:17 am »

I believe it's 4 stars per rank from 9-5, then 5 per from 5 up.  You can't get a win streak at 5 or higher, so be sure to count that in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:50:45 am by nkirbit »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 18, 2014, 03:56:53 am »

I am on the craziest win streak ever.  I went from rank 9 to rank 5 without losing, lost once, and then streaked from there to rank 3.  Still going.

Anyone know the star counts so i can reverse engineer the win tally on this?

That's pretty cool -- what deck are you playing?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 18, 2014, 04:03:26 am »

I believe it's 4 stars per rank from 9-5, then 5 per from 5 up.  You can't get a win streak at 5 or higher, so be sure to count that in.

10-6 is 5 stars, not sure about 5 up.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 18, 2014, 05:24:25 pm »

Just got my second Legendary, Archmage Antonidas! I think he's one of the more interesting class specific ones. I've had fun with him, holding onto him as long as I can so I can spam a couple cheap spells immediately after dropping him. I've used him to make a let's-cast-lots-of-spells deck. Sorceror's Apprentices, Mana Wyrms, Gadgetzan Auctioneer and lots of spells (including a few secrets to combo with Kirin Tor Mages and Arcane Archivists). I don't think I have quite the cards I need to really make it work (it could use a 2nd Auctioneer and a 2nd Azure Drake), but I'm having fun with it. Any thoughts on how to make a nice deck around Antonidas?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 18, 2014, 06:48:58 pm »

I am on the craziest win streak ever.  I went from rank 9 to rank 5 without losing, lost once, and then streaked from there to rank 3.  Still going.

Anyone know the star counts so i can reverse engineer the win tally on this?

That's pretty cool -- what deck are you playing?
It was divine zoo.  The magic stopped at last.  I think maybe it has to do with daily fluctuations in meta.  College students playing a little different from high school students and stuff.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:24 pm »

Just got my second Legendary, Archmage Antonidas! I think he's one of the more interesting class specific ones. I've had fun with him, holding onto him as long as I can so I can spam a couple cheap spells immediately after dropping him. I've used him to make a let's-cast-lots-of-spells deck. Sorceror's Apprentices, Mana Wyrms, Gadgetzan Auctioneer and lots of spells (including a few secrets to combo with Kirin Tor Mages and Arcane Archivists). I don't think I have quite the cards I need to really make it work (it could use a 2nd Auctioneer and a 2nd Azure Drake), but I'm having fun with it. Any thoughts on how to make a nice deck around Antonidas?

How are you getting the Legendaries?

My games in Ranked always seem to go:

1.  I get out to an early lead.  (I'm fairly aggressive early on.)
2.  I get board control mid-game.  (At this point, I'm probably at least double his health.)
3.  Opponent drops a Legendary.
4.  I lose.

In games where #3 doesn't happen, I usually win.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »

He's really fun! My deck runs Antonidas -- he was the first legendary I had. Early on, I ran mirror image / arcane missiles to get his bonus, but I found I was just losing games too frequently to get any use out of him. I'm now running control Mage, with ancient watchers/protectors, and its done fairly well. I play pretty slowly and don't usually have a problem getting at least one fireball from Antonidas, but I don't plan my deck around it. The spells I run are 2x frostbolt/fireball/polymorph/arcane intellect, and 1x mirror image/flame strike. So my deck definitely isn't based around Antonidas, although he's won me several games. If you'd like I can post my deck list (its gotten me up to rank 10, Antonidas and rag are the only legendaries although I'd like to add black knight).

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:21 pm »

2.  I get board control mid-game.  (At this point, I'm probably at least double his health.)
4.  I lose.

What legendaries are you losing to, and what class are you playing?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 18, 2014, 07:15:43 pm »

What legendaries are you losing to, and what class are you playing?

My main is a druid.

I most often lose to Free Fireballs Forever guy.  Gruul has destroyed me.  I've seen the Hero Replacement guy, but I beat him.  Cho Spell Copy guy has destroyed me, too.  And the 8 damage a turn but can't attack dude.

So Fireballs, 8 Damage no attack, and Gruul are the most common.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 18, 2014, 07:18:06 pm »

Forsen had a neat freeze mage list with antonidas, but it requires Alexstraza

Ashersky needs a Big Game Hunter (+mark of the wild, for Archmage). 

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 18, 2014, 07:22:12 pm »

I haven't seen Gruul once outside the Arena, and he's just a always-under-the-curve vanilla.

Rag on other hand does take away games here, too.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 18, 2014, 07:26:11 pm »

Good call.  With Priest, Shadow Word: Pain/Death handles any single minion (unless they have exactly 4 attack) for 2/3 mana.

I guess I could run with Naturalize, and just not play it unless I need it, but then it's a dead card a lot of the time.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 18, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

Generally an aggro deck should have already won by the time gruul or rag gets played -- if rag is going to beat you, you were probably losing to nonlegendaries as well. Druid doesn't have great removal -- it can't really take out an 8/8. Maybe implementing savage roar as a finisher could help you get in the damage you need.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 18, 2014, 08:04:37 pm »

Generally an aggro deck should have already won by the time gruul or rag gets played -- if rag is going to beat you, you were probably losing to nonlegendaries as well. Druid doesn't have great removal -- it can't really take out an 8/8. Maybe implementing savage roar as a finisher could help you get in the damage you need.

That's fair.  I'm generally winning on turns 6~8, depending on draw.  Double swipe can take out an 8/8, or other two spell combos, but otherwise not much hope.  I also run low taunt numbers, which maybe I should adjust back upward to take some of the damage away.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 18, 2014, 09:12:38 pm »

Good call.  With Priest, Shadow Word: Pain/Death handles any single minion (unless they have exactly 4 attack) for 2/3 mana.

I guess I could run with Naturalize, and just not play it unless I need it, but then it's a dead card a lot of the time.
Yeah, I'm playing a Priest mainly.  I love it when there's a close match going on, and my opponent plays their legendary.  It mostly happens like
1.  Opponent drops a Legendary.
2. I play Mind Control
3.  I win (or they rage-quit).

It's the decks that get a good drop on me too quickly and have me beaten before their expensive legendary falls that I have the most trouble with.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:04 pm »

So I'm now 5-0 with this arena:  http://arenamastery.com/jJN7

Anyone want to tell me what I'm doing right this time?  Besides Shadowform being awesome.

(Most amusing moment so far:  T1: Northshire Cleric, Coin, PW Shield.  T2: Inner Fire, hit for 5.  She never got to draw a card, but it forced the warrior to use Whirlwind/Execute much earlier than he was hoping to.)

Edit.... and 5-3 after facing three hunters in a row.  Least amusing moment:  Enemy has two minions, I have none, Mad Bomber does 3 damage to me.

Edit 2:  No, actually, least favorite moment was T4 Yeti, T5 2x Shield, Inner Fire... and the hunter has Explosive Trap.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:00:51 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 18, 2014, 09:38:37 pm »

4.  I lose.

I just got it from a pack. I get my packs through Arena mostly. I've had two so far, but that's in many more packs. Probably about 40-50 packs altogether.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:51 pm »

I just got it from a pack. I get my packs through Arena mostly. I've had two so far, but that's in many more packs. Probably about 40-50 packs altogether.

Cool.  I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I'm supposed to drop 10-50 bucks on packs to try and compete.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 18, 2014, 10:00:14 pm »

Cool.  I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I'm supposed to drop 10-50 bucks on packs to try and compete.

Honestly, depends on what kind of deck you like to play. If you don't care and just want to win on a budget, aggro Warlock is always pretty consistent and pretty cheap. You won't have Leeroy, but at lower ranks that doesn't matter too much.

What rank are you? If around 15-20, I think tighter play is much more important than anything else. I haven't gone past rank 15 in a while since I'm focusing on arena, so I don't know what it's like past that.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 18, 2014, 10:13:05 pm »

I wouldn't spend money on packs to try to compete. Spend the money if you want to support the game, sure, but buying 40 packs isn't going to make nearly as much of a difference in your game as just playing the game and getting better at it will, and doing that will get you packs regardless.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:18 am »

Edit 2:  No, actually, least favorite moment was T4 Yeti, T5 2x Shield, Inner Fire... and the hunter has Explosive Trap.

You mean Freezing Trap, right?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 19, 2014, 04:05:21 am »

Honestly, depends on what kind of deck you like to play. If you don't care and just want to win on a budget, aggro Warlock is always pretty consistent and pretty cheap. You won't have Leeroy, but at lower ranks that doesn't matter too much.

What rank are you? If around 15-20, I think tighter play is much more important than anything else. I haven't gone past rank 15 in a while since I'm focusing on arena, so I don't know what it's like past that.
Zoo warlock is cheaper than aggro warlock because it doesn't have any legendaries.  It's also stronger..

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:01 am »

Zoo warlock is cheaper than aggro warlock because it doesn't have any legendaries.  It's also stronger..

I didn't know there was a difference between the two.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 19, 2014, 05:20:56 am »
+1

Nomenclature varies.  Hearthstone is new so things don't have the most standard of names yet.

There's two families of decks that use Flame Imp, the "aggro" "face warlock" variants are characterized by Leper Gnome, Arcane Golem, Elvish Archers, Wolf Riders, Abusive Sarges, Hellfires, Argent Commanders, Power Overwhelmings, owls, and of course, Leeroy Jenkins.  Although Doomguard has charge, I believe these lists will actually exclude Doomguard because discarding direct damage cards like Sarge is too costly.  In fact, they'll occasionally throw a loot hoarder in.

Standard zoo lists will have less of those cards I mentioned, and they'll also have Shieldbearers, Doomguards, Blood Knights and Shattered Sun Clerics that the face warlocks are less likely to run.  These decks intend to gain control of the board turn one and keep control of the board until the game ends.  The aggro variants want a temporary control of the board, if any control at all, and are happy to do the last 10+ points of damage by zipping chargers and direct damage past tauntless minions.

Standard zoo does not want Leeroy.  Sometimes you might put Leeroy in standard zoo just for surprise factor, but in a vacuum, you don't put him in standard zoo.  Since Leeroy does not help maintain control of the board in turns 1-6 he will never be played, and inevitably Doomguard or Soulfire will pitch him away before standard zoo's 1/5 shieldbearers have poked the enemy down to six health.  It's better to run a 1 drop in Leeroy's place that can jump out of hand before Doomguard can pitch him (or her), or another board control card.

Standard zoo has 2 Defenders of Argus at rare, 2 Young Priestesses at rare, and 2 Doomguards at epic. So it's a pretty cheap deck, and it's the only proven legendless deck afaik.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:22:34 am by popsofctown »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 19, 2014, 07:29:08 am »

Standard zoo has 2 Defenders of Argus at rare, 2 Young Priestesses at rare, and 2 Doomguards at epic. So it's a pretty cheap deck, and it's the only proven legendless deck afaik.

You had good Legendless hunters, who are weaker now that UTH is nerfed.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.