Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 616330 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #800 on: May 14, 2014, 11:29:56 am »

What really annoys me with the card backs is that they affect your cards. The cards your opponent will be looking at. Not the card backs you'll be looking at the whole game.

Well, the idea is that they are a bragging, prestige thing.

You can also look at your own deck on the side, and when you open packs the back you chose is there.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

Yetis are better than Gnomishes but it's harder to make parallel comparisons with him to illustrate my point.  4/5's and 3/5's are a special case because of the way they outclass early stuff, but I don't think that happens consistently enough.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is then... I thought it related directly to cantrips and trying to get back the card advantage.
Instead of giving an example, can you explain your point?

Innervate trades cards for tempo. It's like Soulfire. Soulfire is a little better because Warlock has a built-in way to get the card advantage back via the hero power. With Druid, you actually have to draft a way of getting the card advantage. Fortunately, that's not very hard.

It is harder to get a curve that consistently balances between empty hand syndrome and full utilization of innervate than it is to get a consistent curve that doesn't use innervate.  If you don't run cantrips, it becomes even harder.  You can't just run six yetis and expect that to work out ok, because then if you don't draw the innervate, you've got a game loss after 3 dead turns and nothing but yetis in your hand.  Consistency is way more important than trying to build a deck that can do Play mode power level openings because you need to wipe through a lot of inferior players to get your 7+ wins.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 14, 2014, 11:38:36 am »

I'd run 6 Yetis. Inneverates or not. Awesome 4 drops, and you need 4drops :P Its freaking impossible to race 4 Yetis :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:50:40 am by Grujah »

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 14, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

I'm not sure where your notion that you have to massively warp your curve to run innervate is coming from.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:32 pm »

Your deck is an unordered set of values, mostly ranging between two and six. 

If you toss a single -2 in there, the standard deviation of your multi-card samples increases no matter how you compensate for the -2 to pull your mean up.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 14, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »

I'm not sure where your notion that you have to massively warp your curve to run innervate is coming from.

This. With a "normal" curve, your deck just turns into an aggressive deck. With a heavier deck (which you may get just picking some of the good Druid commons: DotC, Starfire, Ironbark), you get a "normal" deck.

Your deck is an unordered set of values, mostly ranging between two and six. 

If you toss a single -2 in there, the standard deviation of your multi-card samples increases no matter how you compensate for the -2 to pull your mean up.

Why is standard deviation bad?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 14, 2014, 03:20:05 pm »

While we're on this tempo vs card advantage thread, what do you guys think of dancing swords?

3 mana 4/4.  Deathrattle: Your opponent draws a card.

It's utterly bad.
It's not even that much above the curve. for 3 mana you have 4/3s with upsides (Injured Blademaster, guy that lets you play secrets for 0, and they aren't really top tier cards), 3/3s with upside (restore 3 hp) two 2/3s with downside, and so on. Yes, 4/3 doesn't trade with a Raptor, but that alone doesn't make up for a card loss. And if you are going to silence it you go with Ancient Watcher anyway.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 14, 2014, 03:30:33 pm »

All those cards you listed are rates, though. This is a common.  I'm talking mainly about arena here

I actually think its okay. Not great, but you can do way worse

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 14, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »

Far seer is a common, and I'd pick it rather than this, but beside the point..
If you cast it at turn 3 it is probably decent as he most likely has to give two creatures for it, or take some damage and give a big guy. Draw it later and he'll gladly 2 for 1 you.

Edit: actually the main thing is that aside from Eviscerate and Deadly Shot, I do not thing any early removal destroy it.

What about the other cards? Nerrubian Egg (2 mana 0/2, deathrattle: summon 4/4) could be good if we get a sacrifice outlet of sorts (something that kills your own things for benefit, Warlock has a few), Undertaker is a Johnny card that just seems fun, though not nowhere near comparable with Mana Wurm, at least not now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:48:49 pm by Grujah »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 14, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
+3

http://imgur.com/a/GZYp6

Crossposted to the GoT thread...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »

New card:

Well, It eats the Yeti, but Deathrattle isn't as good as Brew battlecries since you cannot always predict when it will fire, but still is controllable and overall card is strong.

Today I got like 11, 8, 10 and a 1 win run. Why that 1 win, no idea. (except that I drafted superfast and deck was horrible. Even that one win was a disconected player  :P).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:54:16 pm by Grujah »

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 14, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »

New card:
[img ]http://Anub'ar Ambusher[/img]
Well, It eats the Yeti, but Deathrattle isn't as good as Brew battlecries since you cannot always predict when it will fire, but still is controllable and overall card is strong.

That's a Rogue only card, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »

New card:
[img ]http://Anub'ar Ambusher[/img]

That's a Rogue only card, right?

Yeah I think it is. Works well with all the combo stuff as usual with Rogue cards. Like gurjah said, the battlecry ones are easier to control though. Those stats are nice, which makes me think this will be used a lot just for that.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53:09 pm »

It looks like that Deathrattle is meant to be a drawback, no?  I mean, that's compared to a 4/5 with nothing special.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 14, 2014, 11:07:43 pm »

It looks like that Deathrattle is meant to be a drawback, no?  I mean, that's compared to a 4/5 with nothing special.

But it can also be a benefit in the right situation like the Brewmasters, which is why I think it's only a 5/5 and not higher stats.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 14, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »

All those cards you listed are rates, though. This is a common.  I'm talking mainly about arena here

I actually think its okay. Not great, but you can do way worse
You could do worse, but most likely don't have to. There's at least 10 common 3-drops I'd rather have (see my list about a page ago).
This card is not bad on turn 3 on an empty board if your opponent doesn't have a 4/3, Soulfire, Shadow bolt, Eviscerate, or coin+Truesilver. You'll probably get at least 4 face damage, and force him to not play a big 4-drop. But the problem is that there are too many ways for it to just get blown out, especially later than turn 3.

What about the other cards? Nerrubian Egg (2 mana 0/2, deathrattle: summon 4/4) could be good if we get a sacrifice outlet of sorts (something that kills your own things for benefit, Warlock has a few), Undertaker is a Johnny card that just seems fun, though not nowhere near comparable with Mana Wurm, at least not now.
Egg and Undertaker seem like they'd be good in the right constructed decks but might have a hard time cutting it in arena. Shade is the best of the neutrals revealed thus far, and it's basically like Panther.

The class cards, however, all look pretty good. The Druid one gives actual hard removal with a smaller drawback than Naturalize. The Warrior one is yet another weapon, which is always good. The Paladin one seems like good stats -- at worst it turns a token into a 4/3 which is worth the 3 mana spent on token + secret. And the Rogue one is a big 4-drop.

It is a drawback because usually your opponent will kill the minion, which gives them better control of what bounces, unlike with pandas. You can't follow this up with a big 5-drop, because it's likely to bounce back. But if you follow up with like 2-drop + 3-drop (preferably with battlecries) or a weapon or something, there's not that much of a drawback.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:25 am »

Link to other new cards?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 15, 2014, 07:46:44 am »

Please note that the death rattle bounce will almost certainly be random. There's currently no death rattles or triggered abilities of any kind, other than battlecries, that have a player make a choice. One of their design philosophies is completely asynchronous turns.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:34 am »

Warrior one is great. You get a built in Whirlwind - that's quite strong.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:20 pm »

Anyone close to a golden hero yet?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:35 pm »

What are people's luck/RNG experiences with opening packs?  I'm generally hovering at one Rare or Epic and a bunch of Commons each pack, but then two packs ago:

Rare
Golden Rare
Golden Common
Rare
Epic
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 15, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »

Please note that the death rattle bounce will almost certainly be random. There's currently no death rattles or triggered abilities of any kind, other than battlecries, that have a player make a choice. One of their design philosophies is completely asynchronous turns.
Most of the time effects like this would use the word "random" if it was random, though.  See Master Swordsmith and Young Priestess.

I'm thinking it's possible you pick which minion to return at the start of your next turn, provided one still lives, or that the minion returned is based on adjacency.  I'd put money on it being random, but I'm hoping for a nonrandom method

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 16, 2014, 12:06:55 am »

So just drafted my first Paladin deck in arena.  I've never actually played Paladin before, but I know they like to have a bunch of minions in play.  I think the draft went pretty well:

http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?shared=hs5363ef173f8f1&arena=240923

How did I do?

I'll update with results

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:23 am »

So just drafted my first Paladin deck in arena.  I've never actually played Paladin before, but I know they like to have a bunch of minions in play.  I think the draft went pretty well:

http://www.arenamastery.com/arena.php?shared=hs5363ef173f8f1&arena=240923

How did I do?

I'll update with results

Am I supposed to see the cards you chose each pick?  I normally am able to when I look at these things, but can't here.

The deck looks pretty solid.  Apart from the mini-murloc theme, which I don't like (1 toughness creatures just don't cut it), most of the cards are fine to good.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:18:04 am by nkirbit »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.