Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613725 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #725 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:37 am »

Finally came out of way too many 4-3 with a 8-3, which was a very drunk draft too.  ;D

I keep getting the impression that who you play matters so much in the arena.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 09, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

The problem with Deathwing, even in arena, is that a significant portion of games are over before turn 10.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

Good:  Drafting two Twilight Drakes

Bad:  Topdecking both with no cards in hand.

http://arenamastery.com/VZMo

Edit:  Game 3, I have two taunts and 15 damage on the table.  Rogue topdecks fucking Deathwing.  Please, guys, tell me how fucking bad I am at arena.

Deathwing wins games, especially Arena games. It's kinda like UtH in that it punishes you for playing creatures. It's vulnerable to single target creature killers, but the Deathwing player can usually force their opponent to play those out of their hand if you're playing aggressively enough. It's also not realistic to play as if your opponent has a Deathwing since it's a Legendary. I think the card is kinda borked personally, in Arena anyways, in constructed it would probably lose to a beatdown.

pops and I have had disagreements about how strong Deathwing is in arena. He has at some point said it's the single best card in arena, and I've maintained that it's a slightly-above-average legendary.

It's brutal when it beats you. You're looking at a 12/12 and you can't do anything while it hits you in the face and kills you. You think "what could I have possibly done?" But if you put yourself on the other side of the table, it's a bit less impressive. You don't know how many games that guy died without being able to play Deathwing since it costs 10 mana. And then there are those games where the opponent has a single-target removal or taunt+other cards in hand to race you before you can face hit twice. Any sort of follow-up is purely topdeck-based since you give up your whole hand to play Deathwing, so if your opponent hasn't been dumping his hand, he probably has more threats than you can deal with.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 09, 2014, 11:53:26 am »
+1

I almost never play Warrior, but having two quests that are get five wins with Warrior + x, made me construct a deck, which led me to one of the most satisfying game moments I've had with Hearthstone.

I've built a deck around enraging creatures, berserkers and the basic Warrior weapons I have. I'm playing against a Mage deck, which is already nice because my deck discourages her from using her hero power. I have a Frothing Berserker out at 3 and she couldn't immediately deal with it, I buffed it with a SSC and have been exchanging creatures to protect it as it grows (she doesn't appear to have a Polymorph in hand at 4 mana). By 5 it's really threatening at 8/5, and I drop my gurabashi berserker. I guess she didn't have much to do that was useful in her hand because she makes the worst play possible, dropping a Mad Bomber. All the shots hit my Gurabashi. Long pause. "That was a mistake." She resigns immediately.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 09, 2014, 12:12:34 pm »

Edit:  Game 3, I have two taunts and 15 damage on the table.  Rogue topdecks fucking Deathwing.  Please, guys, tell me how fucking bad I am at arena.

Deathwing wins games, especially Arena games. It's kinda like UtH in that it punishes you for playing creatures. It's vulnerable to single target creature killers, but the Deathwing player can usually force their opponent to play those out of their hand if you're playing aggressively enough. It's also not realistic to play as if your opponent has a Deathwing since it's a Legendary. I think the card is kinda borked personally, in Arena anyways, in constructed it would probably lose to a beatdown.

pops and I have had disagreements about how strong Deathwing is in arena. He has at some point said it's the single best card in arena, and I've maintained that it's a slightly-above-average legendary.

It's brutal when it beats you. You're looking at a 12/12 and you can't do anything while it hits you in the face and kills you. You think "what could I have possibly done?" But if you put yourself on the other side of the table, it's a bit less impressive. You don't know how many games that guy died without being able to play Deathwing since it costs 10 mana. And then there are those games where the opponent has a single-target removal or taunt+other cards in hand to race you before you can face hit twice. Any sort of follow-up is purely topdeck-based since you give up your whole hand to play Deathwing, so if your opponent hasn't been dumping his hand, he probably has more threats than you can deal with.

Well it's no Ragnaros or Ysera, but I personally think it's excellent. I'd probably consider it on par with Gruul or Sylvanas in Arena.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:13 pm »

So ended up 5-3 on that one.  My last game the Druid drops Cairne, which I have to just beat up, and is replaced with Baine, who gets Starfired.  All right, can't be too bad, right?  Then he drops Ancient of War: 5/10 Taunt.  OK, that's a bit more annoying.  I'm able to get it down after two turns and a couple of minion deaths.  Then he drops Ironbark Protector (8/8 Taunt).  All through this, as I lose minions to huge Taunters, he's plinking me for 1 with Shapeshift.  Then: Novice Engineer and Mark of Nature (2/8 Taunt).  Then a Shieldmasta, just for good measure.

All of that stuff while I'm in topdeck mode and can't draw my 7s.  It was just ridiculous.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:39 pm »

Well it's no Ragnaros or Ysera, but I personally think it's excellent. I'd probably consider it on par with Gruul or Sylvanas in Arena.

Huh.  I would absolutely say that Sylvanas is better than Ysera... in my opinion, it's probably the second strongest neutral legendary in Arena.

I've played with Ysera twice in arena, and have been underwhelmed by it.  It's a 9 drop that doesn't do anything the turn it comes down, so if you're dying, it doesn't do much.  Yeah, there aren't many legendaries that do much if you're dying, but I think the best ones that cost 8+ have to.  That's why I would prefer Rag and Deathwing to Ysera.

Sylvanas and Cairne are great because they cost 6, and will almost always get value.  They're worse on an empty board, yeah, but you won't lose nearly as many games from not being able to cast Sylvanas as you would by not being able to cast Ysera.

My rankings for neutral legendaries would probably be something like:

Rag > Sylvanas > Cairne > Black Knight > Deathwing > Baron Geddon > Ysera > Hogger > Illidan > Gruul.  Or something like that.  But I don't think Ysera is top tier, she just costs too much.  If you could guarantee Ysera Awakens every time, maybe, but when you draw laughing sister or nightmare with Ysera as your only creature, I just don't think that's good enough.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 09, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

I think Rag, Cairne, and Sylvanas are pretty clearly the best legendaries in arena. After that, i think it depends on what kind of deck you're going for. I think pops values Deathwing more than me because he plays much more aggressively than I do in general. If you get into topdeck mode, Deathwing is a pretty good draw, but if you're still competing for card advantage, Ysera or Onyxia is usually going to be better. They're also pretty good topdecks, while Deathwing is horrible for card advantage, which I think makes him much worse on average.

I'd say my overall (tentative -- I have to think more about this) rankings are:
rag > cairne > sylvanas > ysera > onyxia > black knight > geddon > hogger > leeroy > deathwing

It depends greatly on the deck though, like I said. There are plenty of situations where I'd pick Alexstrasza, Thalnos, Harrison, Greenskin, or Illidan over Deathwing or Leeroy.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:16:13 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 09, 2014, 10:57:08 pm »

It is just me, or does it feel terribly wrong to draft a Mage without any Fireballs even being offered?

http://arenamastery.com/RJfJ

Game 2:  On T7, hunter plays Buzzard, Hyena, UTH.  I silence the 8/6 Hyena and kill another minion.  T8, he plays:  UTH, Hyena again (up to 10/7 this time).  WTF
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:52:12 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:14 am »

My first 12-win Arena, and 12-0 no less!  I think the defining moment was landing the following two 3-card combos in the same game:

Young Dragonhawk
Blessing of Wisdom
Blessing of Kings

Light's Justice
Spiteful Smith
Mad Bomber

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 10, 2014, 03:34:46 am »
+1

It is just me, or does it feel terribly wrong to draft a Mage without any Fireballs even being offered?

Game 2:  On T7, hunter plays Buzzard, Hyena, UTH.  I silence the 8/6 Hyena and kill another minion.  T8, he plays:  UTH, Hyena again (up to 10/7 this time).  WTF

Think of it as drafting Druid, and never seeing a Swipe.

Which just happened to me, btw. I did get 2 Ancients of Lore though, so I'm not complaining too much.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »

You really shouldnt rely on fireballs showing up. As long as you get some good damage spells then the draft can be good. You got some Arcane missiles, Blizzard, Flamestrike and a Polymorph. That's pretty good.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 10, 2014, 04:18:28 pm »
+1

After regularly getting 5-8 arena wins a month ago, I'm 1-3 on my last 3 arenas.

Guess I'm one of those awful arena players pops loves to talk about.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:27 pm »

After regularly getting 5-8 arena wins a month ago, I'm 1-3 on my last 3 arenas.

Guess I'm one of those awful arena players pops loves to talk about.

Nah.  I think it's a log of rng with drafts.

I'm finally having my first good arena run, for example.  Just got win 8 in four turns:

1 - opponent passes
1 - coin out the 2/1 murloc and Leper Gnome
2 - 0/2 totem
2 - knife juggler, kill totem
3 - 1/1 totem
3 - Orc chick with boar, juggler kills totem
4 - demolisher
4 - Swipe demo, all attacks
5 - resign

That isn't the shaman's fault as a player -- clearly dome bad rng draws.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 11, 2014, 03:25:44 am »

Think of it as drafting Druid, and never seeing a Swipe.

Which just happened to me, btw. I did get 2 Ancients of Lore though, so I'm not complaining too much.

There are a lot of basic/common cards. You can't get offered all of them every arena. Any given card will only show up in maybe 60% of your arenas.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 11, 2014, 02:52:55 pm »

This is one of the silliest arena decks I've drafted:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/mage#26:1;44:2;174:1;177:3;263:2;274:1;280:1;338:1;463:1;475:1;513:1;518:1;522:5;539:1;569:1;589:1;595:1;597:1;598:1;604:1;614:1;663:1;
  • 3 Frostbolts
  • 5 Fireballs (notice that 5x6 = 30, so hitting face with all of these is lethal)
  • 1 Polymorph
  • 2 Flamestrikes
  • 2 Mana Wyrms in a deck with 14 spells
It's not actually that great a deck, because it's short on quality minions, so although it's great at removing opponent minions, it has trouble translating that into actual board control.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 11, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »

When the Druid you're facing plays Innervate-Harvest Golem on T1, you're gonna have a bad time.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 11, 2014, 05:20:00 pm »

When the Druid you're facing plays Innervate-Harvest Golem on T1, you're gonna have a bad time.

Thoughts on Inno x2 into Venture Co. merc on T1?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 11, 2014, 05:24:48 pm »

Lots of fun!

Honestly, I don't think innervate into harvest golem is that good.  The reason harvest golem is good because it provides insane value.. and innervating it out causes it to lose value.  It's not big enough to put on the pressure to make it worth innervating out.  I'd rather wait a few turns to pump out a 5 drop or something.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 11, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »

Lots of fun!

Honestly, I don't think innervate into harvest golem is that good.  The reason harvest golem is good because it provides insane value.. and innervating it out causes it to lose value.  It's not big enough to put on the pressure to make it worth innervating out.  I'd rather wait a few turns to pump out a 5 drop or something.

If I had stats, I think my preference probably goes:

Inno 4 drop on T2 > 3 drop on T1 > 5 drop on T3.

Something like the 3/1 charge guy on T1, then MotW on T2 is pretty strong (except for mages).  Or the boar summoning girl.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 11, 2014, 05:29:45 pm »

That's...ok- depends on the opponent lol. I've had Turn 3 Rags twice I think and lost both, it's so many cards from hand and a good remove buggers you. 7-5 on the board is a fair bit of damage but you won't be playing anything whilst it's up either.

I think (at risk of jinxing myself) I may just have had my best (!) arena draft ever; paladin- Tirion AND TBK. Two Truesilvers, two consecrates, equality, wild pyro, only bad card is a humility I had to take, and though a little low on 2's ( I like having lots) it is ok as long as I get a three too given am paladin.
Probably going to go 2-3 now I've said all this lol. Last time I had what I though was an epic shaman deck that happened. (the 2-3)

The multiple fireball deck is probably pretty fun!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 11, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »

I just won a game of arena where my paladin opponent cast 3 truesilvers and a divine favor for 7!  (My deck is quite insane, although I think he probably should have won.)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 11, 2014, 06:14:44 pm »

Had many (3-4?) good runs today, all 7-3 or better.

This one was particularity fun deck (1x Innervate missing from the pic):

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2cwo0g1.jpg

Notice 5 DotCs :P

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 11, 2014, 06:16:00 pm »

Also, I addded everybody from TA's post, but nobody replied.

Either I did something wrong or you guys hate me  :'(

Is there supposed to be a space or so between the name and # ?

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 11, 2014, 06:17:57 pm »

I never got one from you Grujah.. I just sent you one though.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.