Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 616425 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #650 on: May 03, 2014, 07:30:59 pm »
+2

Good news: I don't think I'll ever have a worse draft in my future than this. http://arenamastery.com/2Cus
I got 7 wins with this horrible horrible deck!  Aww yeah!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 04, 2014, 10:43:30 am »

http://arenamastery.com/6lo6

Why do you hate Cobra? You picked Blademaster and Counterspell over it!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »

It's not very often that Blademaster fights a minion and doesn't kill it.  It's more often that Cobra's lack of pressure loses you a game you could have sealed off with fireballs. 

Counterspell beats Flamestrike, Cobra overextends -into- Flamestrike. Arena meta has shifted towards Flamestrike dominance, imo, after those warrior nerfs nudged the mage up over everything.  In the actual arena run 1/3rd of my opponents were mages.

Since I already had the blademaster, harvest golem, and flesheating by the point I saw counterspell vs. cobra it was a landslide for the counterspell, there's no need to be fearful about hitting my turn 3 play.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 04, 2014, 06:00:14 pm »

What's the base damage on Fireball?  8?

Fireball + Flamestrike + Poly + all the freezes...just can't beat the mages.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 04, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »

What's the base damage on Fireball?  8?

6 for 4 mana.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:04 pm »

It's not very often that Blademaster fights a minion and doesn't kill it.  It's more often that Cobra's lack of pressure loses you a game you could have sealed off with fireballs. 

Counterspell beats Flamestrike, Cobra overextends -into- Flamestrike. Arena meta has shifted towards Flamestrike dominance, imo, after those warrior nerfs nudged the mage up over everything.  In the actual arena run 1/3rd of my opponents were mages.

Since I already had the blademaster, harvest golem, and flesheating by the point I saw counterspell vs. cobra it was a landslide for the counterspell, there's no need to be fearful about hitting my turn 3 play.

I'm not sure how you decided the blademaster > cobra situation is "more common". It seems to me that situations where you get multiple face hits with a specific 3-drop, come within 4 damage of lethal and then lose are less common than situations where your opponent plays a minion with 5+ health that swings the game. But of course it usually doesn't matter either way.

Counterspell, however, has to be wrong. Sure the best case is that it counters flamestrike, but if your opponent is in a position where he has to play flamestrike without checking the secret, you're in a pretty good spot already. So the counterspell can't help your win % that much. And outside of this situation, Counterspell is just a waste of a card in your hand. Cobra, otoh, can be played almost any time.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2014, 02:27:38 pm »

It's hard to value secrets in arena. One thing Counterspell has going for it is that your opponent is more likely to guess Mirror Entity first (which they should, since it's Common), and next may test for Vaporize. The net effect is that your opponent may end up playing a significantly suboptimal turn.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2014, 02:36:49 pm »

The opponent opening I most fear in arena now is Paladin's Argent Protector play where they use a divine shielded raptor to kill my raptor. It's especially brutal when they are P2 because then it's 100% mana-efficient:
P1 T1: pass
P2 T1: coin raptor
P1 T2: raptor
P2 T2: argent protector, kill P1's raptor

The combination of tempo swing and the 0-for-1 nearly seals the game right there. There are other more devastating opening plays (getting a coined sword of justice oozed, for example), but much less frequent than this one.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 05, 2014, 03:06:35 pm »

The opponent opening I most fear in arena now is Paladin's Argent Protector play where they use a divine shielded raptor to kill my raptor. It's especially brutal when they are P2 because then it's 100% mana-efficient:
P1 T1: pass
P2 T1: coin raptor
P1 T2: raptor
P2 T2: argent protector, kill P1's raptor

The combination of tempo swing and the 0-for-1 nearly seals the game right there. There are other more devastating opening plays (getting a coined sword of justice oozed, for example), but much less frequent than this one.

You are overestimating the importance of that. That can be mitigated in future in multitude of ways.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 05, 2014, 05:40:36 pm »

It's hard to value secrets in arena. One thing Counterspell has going for it is that your opponent is more likely to guess Mirror Entity first (which they should, since it's Common), and next may test for Vaporize. The net effect is that your opponent may end up playing a significantly suboptimal turn.

Yeah, maybe their turn is a bit suboptimal.. but at least they're not playing counterspell!

I dislike all of the mage secrets very much.  I'll play some of them occasionally because there clearly are worse cards, so will sometimes end up with Mirror Entity, Vaporize, or Counterspell, but I'm never happy about it.  They're just too easy to play around most of the time.  For all the times you win because you counter the flamestrike they just had to play into your secret, you'll lose 3 games because you had a card that didn't do anything.  That's my experience with it, at least.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:47 pm »

Apparently people are still filtering their way up in ranked... I just played someone who dropped not one but three golden legendaries.  Followed by someone who played three non-golden legendaries.

Edit:  at Rank 19.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 05, 2014, 08:22:27 pm »

Apparently people are still filtering their way up in ranked... I just played someone who dropped not one but three golden legendaries.  Followed by someone who played three non-golden legendaries.

Im just got to rank 15 and I have 1 or 2 legendaries in all my decks.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »

Are people crafting Legendaries?  Or buying lots of packs?

I'm excited to get epics in my packs.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 05, 2014, 09:08:41 pm »

o.O

I have a total of one legendary (class-specific) and like three epics so far.  I cannot imagine how anyone can have multiple golden legendaries without either spending a bunch of cash, or doing really, really well at arena... in which case they really shouldn't be near rank 20 should they?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:17 pm »

o.O

I have a total of one legendary (class-specific) and like three epics so far.  I cannot imagine how anyone can have multiple golden legendaries without either spending a bunch of cash, or doing really, really well at arena... in which case they really shouldn't be near rank 20 should they?
Doing well in arena is so easy though.  Everyone in arena is bad

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21:25 pm »
+1

o.O

:(

Now I am sad.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 05, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »

o.O

It could be people at the beginning of the season still, or it could be people trying out new decks or something. I'd say that people with more golden legendaries are generally better, but a bad player with 3 legendaries will usually lose to a good player with 0.

My main mage deck has 3 legendaries (Thalnos, Antonidas, and Ragnaros), and it caps out at around rank 13 or 14 because it can't deal with hunters at all.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:48 pm »

o.O

The arena is everyone, and you're also probably very good at drafting decks. So to you everyone is bad. To me it's 50/50. To Kirian maybe it's another ratio, but certainly getting 12 wins is not super easy because we would all have gotten it already.

Also, someone has to lose in the arena. Not everyone can win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 05, 2014, 11:12:59 pm »

o.O

The arena is everyone, and you're also probably very good at drafting decks. So to you everyone is bad. To me it's 50/50. To Kirian maybe it's another ratio, but certainly getting 12 wins is not super easy because we would all have gotten it already.

Also, someone has to lose in the arena. Not everyone can win.

Indeed.  Remember that just 6 wins puts you in the 90th %ile.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #669 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:59 am »
+1

In my 13th arena run, I got my first 12-win arena deck! And even did it with room to spare: 12-1

http://arenamastery.com/jRfq

I think the Ice combo was the key: Water Elemental/Frost Elemental/Frostbolt/Ice Lance. The best moment was in the final game, with 4 health left, Polymorphing his Tirion Fordring and coming back to win. Either that or topdecking Acidic Swamp Ooze when another Paladin coined out Sword of Justice.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2014, 04:33:19 am »

Today I had a guy in arena play 4 Ironbark Protectors, back-to-back, 4 turns in a row.  ;D (Managed to win still).

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 06, 2014, 08:06:55 am »

Save dust for Legendaries or spend on rares that I need to make some decks (Hunter's Bow, Imp Masters..) ?
 Got around 500.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

I've been using it on Rares to complete decks despite the fact that some Legendaries are really good, multiple rares are probably better. That's just me though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 06, 2014, 01:00:33 pm »

Rares are probably better. Legendaries are good, but just 1 Legendary can't make a deck good. The various other cards are the strongest point of a deck and the legendaries are the cherry on top.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 06, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

I need like Sword of Justice, 2s Eaglehorn Bows, Aldor Peacekeeper/Imp Master, prolly some Young Priestesses as well.

I also need Leeroy, and probably Black Knight, and in long term - Rag/Ysera.

I can, also, disenchant The Beast (not too attached to it) and Golden Avenging Wrath for some Dust, but I do need Wrath in a deck, so gonna have to wait till I open the regular ones.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.