Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 616122 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #625 on: May 02, 2014, 01:18:14 pm »

Now, here's a question:  How do you use innervate?  Say my opener is Innervate, Yeti, Harvest Golem.. I'll 100% pass turn 1, yeti turn 2, and golem turn 3.  But there are much harder decisions I routinely have to make with my druid deck, and I'm pretty sure I get a lot of them wrong.

Let's start with this one:  Turn1, on the draw, your hand is Innervate x2, Yeti, Cairne, Ysera, Coin.  What's the play?  My pick would be to coin out Yeti.. but maybe coining out Cairne is better?  I'm not sure.

Innervate is a tempo card and as such you generally want to play it as soon as possible in a tempo deck. There is very little reason to not get a Yeti out on turn 1-2 if possible.

Oh, I agree.  I try to use it early if possible.  The one thing I find myself hardly ever doing, though, is innervating out a harvest golem on turn1.  It's just underwhelming.  I'm not even convinced Harvest Golem is worth playing, although I see it in almost every list.  There are matchups where it's good, such as Warrior or something, but everytime I draw it against zoo I just feel horrible.

Generally stuff with deathrattles aren't the best things to innervate out because their value comes in after they die. Until it dies, Caire is just a Yeti, and Harvest Golem a Croc.

As far as Harvest Golem being in every deck list, there's a couple (historical) reasons for that:
1. It's good in decks with a lot of buffs because it's hard to remove completely.
2. It's good against super aggro decks because it can kill a 2/1 or 2/2 and then kill 2 3/2s.

(1) of course still exists, but (2) is dying out with pure face builds becoming less popular and all aggressive Warlocks playing Shieldbearers.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 02, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »

So I'm going into arena, yay!  Only my third time in, but my second time didn't count because I lost all 3 due to disconnects...  I have no idea what I'm doing, but I kinda like the deck I made.  I think.  I don't really know. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 02, 2014, 05:44:26 pm »

So I'm going into arena, yay!  Only my third time in, but my second time didn't count because I lost all 3 due to disconnects...  I have no idea what I'm doing, but I kinda like the deck I made.  I think.  I don't really know. 

Quick advice, Pristess of Elrune is considered the worst card in the game. I assume you were not offered Fireballs or Polymorphs because those are very strong cards. But your mana curve is decent enough that you should get some wins.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2014, 05:59:51 pm »

Do you guys like fresheater ghouls?  I almost never pick em.. I look at it and see a three drop that trades with nearly every two drop and not many 3 drops. I would never pick it over a raptor... I don't pick it over the 3/3 taunt, for instance.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:49 pm »

Do you guys like fresheater ghouls?  I almost never pick em.. I look at it and see a three drop that trades with nearly every two drop and not many 3 drops. I would never pick it over a raptor... I don't pick it over the 3/3 taunt, for instance.

It gets better the more one and two drops you have, especially 3/2s. If you can play it turn 3 and trade your two drop with theirs it threatens to get out of hand quickly.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 02, 2014, 06:27:03 pm »

Quick advice, Pristess of Elrune is considered the worst card in the game.
By who? Every guide I've seen would not even place it in the lowest tier of cards. Examples:

From just straight analyzing the card, it doesn't seem unusable. At 6 mana, it's slow, but its base stats would be respectable for a 4 mana card, so it seems likely to go nearly 1-for-1 once you do get to play it. It's a bad card, but not nearly as horrible as, say, Goldshire Footman, which tends to die for nothing.

Edit: In AHoppy's deck, Stonetusk Boar is easily the worst card.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:31:10 pm by blueblimp »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 02, 2014, 06:37:58 pm »
+1

Pristess of Elrune is considered the worst card in the game.

It's bad, but I definitely don't think it's the worst card in arena. It's bottom 10, but it's definitely better than Grimscale Oracle or Wisp for example because it can at least trade for another card. It's very mana inefficient (overpriced by about 2 mana), but arena games can get into turn 15+ at which point a couple mana doesn't actually make any difference and cards are what you care about.

Flesheating Ghoul is decent. It's slightly below-average card. The thing is, there aren't a whole lot of neutral common 3-drops that survive vs Raptors. You just have to accept that if you play it turn 3, it's trading down. Usually what you expect out of your 3-drops is that it will trade with a Raptor turn 3, maybe gain advantage vs a Croc, and has potential to do something useful if you draw/play it later. Ghoul can sometimes be a 7/3 or something if you play it the turn you trade other minions. If your opponent doesn't have removal for it, it trades way up with an Ogre or something or deals a lot of face damage. I'd say it's the 8th best neutral common 3-drop.

1. Crusader
2. Golem
3. Cleric
4. Farseer
5. Raging Worgen
6. Acolyte
7. Wolfrider
8. Ghoul
9. Grizzly
10. Panther
11. Razorfen Hunter
(the rest are nearly unplayable)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 02, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

I prefer salteater ghouls.  Tastier.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 02, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »

Pristess of Elrune is considered the worst card in the game.

It's bad, but I definitely don't think it's the worst card in arena. It's bottom 10, but it's definitely better than Grimscale Oracle or Wisp for example because it can at least trade for another card. It's very mana inefficient (overpriced by about 2 mana), but arena games can get into turn 15+ at which point a couple mana doesn't actually make any difference and cards are what you care about.

In arena, yeah Grimscale and Wisp are worse, as are others, but Elrune is pretty weak. Yeah, worst card in the game is an overstatement though.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 02, 2014, 10:41:18 pm »

So I just drafted this and went 5-3:

LINK
(Mountain Giant missing from the screenshot)

And all I can say is Worgen Infiltrator+Power Word:Shield is a really strong start.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:42:49 pm by Jorbles »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:59 pm »

Just got my second epic. Alkir the Windlord. He's not the best, not as good as my Ragnaros, but he's fun.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 02, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »

This Rogue just played Coin-Alarm o Bot-Backstab on turn 2.

Then, got a Spiteful Smith out of it, since I had no way to kill the Alarm-o-Bot.

...if I lose this game I'm going to be so upset.

Edit: Okay I won, all is right with the world.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:01:54 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:08 am »

Well, I'll never know how that worked... didn't get to play that deck at all.  3 disconnects, 3 losses...  I hate my school's internet

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:22 am »

And yeah, no fireballs
Edit: or polymorphs

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #639 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:32 am »

Good news: I don't think I'll ever have a worse draft in my future than this. http://arenamastery.com/2Cus

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:17 am »

Good news: I don't think I'll ever have a worse draft in my future than this. http://arenamastery.com/2Cus

Very bad. Still, I might have taken an arcane explosion. I did the whole "What I would choose" think on the site. Only a few difference, but wow you had some tough decisions between bad and worse cards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 03, 2014, 01:02:23 am »

That draft doesn't look too bad...you have a Flamestrike, which is better than none. You don't have many 2 drops you'd like to play on turn 2, but your 1 drops aren't bad, and your 3 drops are pretty nice. Your Youthful Brewmaster can combo with Scaret Crusader, or Dark Iron Dwarf, or Novice Engineer, or a nearly dead Imp Master, or Gnomish Inventor...basically you have lots of good battlecries or naturally long lasting cards to make it pretty good if you can afford to hold onto it.

The only issue is that your curve is really top heavy, but if you can hold on until the later turns then your deck starts becoming really solid. I wouldn't say you can get 12 wins with a deck like that, bad early game is killer at higher wins, but it could be worse.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 03, 2014, 09:07:26 am »

Does that Arena Mastery auto track the arenas or are you obliged to manually choose what you chose?
I had a quick look at that selection and I think many of the first few choices I would have made differently- I rate Counterspell pretty highly- almost all the spells chosen you'd expect to be powerful in arena. But yes without really any of the great Mage spells, it's not a draft you should expect to get that high- but lowered expectations means every win is that much sweeter!

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 03, 2014, 09:08:34 am »

:S just got my thousandth win! Did not really realise I had been playing that much!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 03, 2014, 09:42:21 am »

Does that Arena Mastery auto track the arenas or are you obliged to manually choose what you chose?
I had a quick look at that selection and I think many of the first few choices I would have made differently- I rate Counterspell pretty highly- almost all the spells chosen you'd expect to be powerful in arena. But yes without really any of the great Mage spells, it's not a draft you should expect to get that high- but lowered expectations means every win is that much sweeter!

I haven't used Arena Mastery in a while, mainly because I haven't been playing that much arena. But when I did you had to enter the results manually. It wasn't that tedious, though.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 03, 2014, 10:15:44 am »

Ouch. Flamestrike is the only good (or any?) removal you were ever offered. The only picks that stood out to me as ones that I'd definitely not make:
  • Pick #14: Arcane Intellect is loads better than Novice Engineer. The 1/1 rarely does much, and I'd rather have 2 cards for 3 mana than 1 card for 2 mana.
  • Pick #21: You're desperate for good 4's at that point, and Ogre Magi is OK for that slot, a sort of wannabe Yeti. War Golem is one of the weaker high-cost arena cards because it's so slow for its vanilla 7/7 stats.
  • Pick #25: Argent Squire is weak without some way to buff it. Again, you're desperate for good 4's, so I'd go for the Ancient Brewmaster (as a wannabe Yeti).
Because of skipping a couple passable 4's, you end up with a somewhat 5+ heavy deck, which makes me think it'll be slow.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:32 pm »
+1

After drafting a semi-reasonable Rogue, I have just two words:  Fucking Mages.

(1-3, every loss to a Mage)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 03, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »

Bad news: If you play enough, you probably will :(

There are a few small things I might have done differently, but the bigger ones are:
5. Croc > Healer. Healer is an okay card, but it's below average and you already have one. There are quite a few really good 5-drops and you don't want so many total. The more Healers you take now, the less Mercenaries, Warlords, Silver Hand Knights, Commandos, and Tigers you can take later. Croc is really not that bad. I've seen lists where people (Trump) rank it really low, but it trades evenly with Raptors, which is mostly what you plan on doing with your 2-drop. It's important to have enough 2-drops.
14. Intellect > Novice. blueblump covered this
19. At this point, you might need to start worrying about curve. You already have 7/18 cards at 5+, plus an pure draw card. You need the small stuff more than you need another 5-drop, even as good as Silver Hand Knight.
24. Now you really need the Apprentice more than the Mercenary.
25. Ancient Brewmaster is a good card. I'm not sure if you're now panicking about curve, but Argent Squire is pretty bad without a bunch of buffs.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 03, 2014, 06:45:49 pm »

I am gonna try out this fancy arena mastery thing.  But I play in spanish now so it's hard to remember the english name of some of the cards.   Like what am I supposed to enter for this 1/3 dude that slowly improves other minions attack.  He's Raidsmith Rager right? or was it Ironforge Swordsmith.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 03, 2014, 07:07:53 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.