Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613517 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #550 on: April 30, 2014, 10:37:02 am »
+1

Blah, went 2-0 and then 0-2. I think I screwed up the last game for sure, and perhaps the third game? Unclear: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/profile/pastBroadcasts

For game 4:

You avoid killing the 1/1 minion turn 3 and 4. Always kill minions when you can, especially against Paladin who has many good buffs. Also, playing the Cult master turn 4 was silly. They are very vulnerable and should only be played when you can guarantee some card draws the turn you play them, or you have Taunt Minions on the board. Still watching though.

EDIT 1: Turn 6 you wasted the Dark Iron Dwarfs battlecry by not testing for Noble Sacrifice. It's a really common Paladin secret. I would have first attacked the 1/1 minion the opponent had, that way you test for both Noble Sacrifice and that secret which revives a minion with 1hp. Then you can summon a minion that wouldn't be hurt that much by the secret that lowers you summoned minion to 1hp.

EDIT 2: turn 7 I would have killed the violent instructor. The raging worgen would die attacking your other taunt minion. Although I'm not sure which is really better, because you did have a flamestrike in your hand. Still, I'd killing the minion that summons other minions first.

EDIT 3: I don't have time to watch the rest right now :P However keep in mind how a card can be used to kill more than one of your opponents cards. That violet instructor was taking out more than 1 card, diverting your attention from other things. Also, the 1/1's make great buff targets for paladins, another thing I've learned the hard way while playing against them. Lastly there is a sound lag on the video. I hear what's going on loudly, but then about 30 seconds later I hear it again in the background. I guess this is a recording issue.

EDIT 4: But the Flamestrike turn 8 was great :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:32:48 am by KingZog3 »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2014, 11:08:20 am »
+1

Blah, went 2-0 and then 0-2. I think I screwed up the last game for sure, and perhaps the third game? Unclear: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/profile/pastBroadcasts

It's cool that you're posting videos. It's much easier to help this way. I watched game 3. There's quite a few misplays that I think are important basic concepts:
1. Playing for tempo early:
 - Turn 3 you have Amani vs Harvest Golem. You should play Grizzly and hit face with the Amani. The Golem will have to kill itself on the Grizzly, and the Amani should live another turn. Instead you play Grunt and hit the Golem with the Amani. There is no reason to play a 2/2 taunt instead of a 3/3 taunt when you have the mana.
 - Turn 5 you have a clear board vs Kobold Geo. You should play Arcane Missiles and a 3-drop minion. You instead play Intellect. A minion is almost always going to be better than Intellect early on. Intellect will draw you cards later when you have mana to spare. You don't want to give up the tempo early on.

2. Getting use from strong minion abilities:
 - Turn 6 you play Harvest Golem + Cleric when it should be Golem + Grizzly. You want to save the Cleric for a turn when you're attack if possible, to make sure you get good use of the ability.
 - Similarly, on turn 8 you should play Fireball + Blood Knight instead of Fireball + Cult Master. Save the Cult Master for a turn where you're trading.

3. Thinking before playing:
 - Turn 12 you have a clear board vs Sen'jin. You should Argent Commander + Hero power to kill it, but you play Acolyte first before counting your mana. This I think is just a matter of throwing cards out without counting mana.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #552 on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:36 am »

Thank you all for the great advice!  This is extremely helpful.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 30, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »

I was checking out game 2.  You gotta be looking for lethal, and not just favorable minion trades.  On the turn when you got Ysera to dream at the end, you could have polymorphed his taunt creature and alpha-striked (whole team to the face) for the win.  Granted you won the next turn.  But you can't pass up game winners.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 30, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »

- Turn 3 you have Amani vs Harvest Golem. You should play Grizzly and hit face with the Amani. The Golem will have to kill itself on the Grizzly, and the Amani should live another turn. Instead you play Grunt and hit the Golem with the Amani. There is no reason to play a 2/2 taunt instead of a 3/3 taunt when you have the mana.
That's probably best.  Somewhere in the middle is use mage-power to enrage Amani...hit and kill golem with that.  You'll take 2 to the face from the damaged golem, and have about the same board state as you ended up with, except you'll still have the grunt in hand.

I definitely agree with holding the Intellect.  I would only play intellect that early if I NEEDED answers now, or simply some good cards in teh 3-5 range.  You already ahve the cards, and don't need answers....save that for later.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:33:45 pm by shraeye »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #555 on: April 30, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »

I just got completely wrecked in game 5 and ended up going 2-3.  WTF happened in this last game? 

http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/b/524542487

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »

That's probably best.  Somewhere in the middle is use mage-power to enrage Amani...hit and kill golem with that.  You'll take 2 to the face from the damaged golem, and have about the same board state as you ended up with, except you'll still have the grunt in hand.

No, that play is strictly inferior to attacking the Golem with the Amani and then using hero power to kill the Golem, leaving a 5/1 vs 2/1 instead of empty board vs 2/1.

But in general I think it's usually not worth it to kill the Harvest Golem if you can't kill the damaged Golem as well, since it leaves them with just as much damage potential on their board. Mana spent killing the Harvest Golem is better spent developing your board.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 30, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »

I just got completely wrecked in game 5 and ended up going 2-3.  WTF happened in this last game? 

Aggro Rogue happened. Not much you can do about that. Backstab+Defias into Demo with good aim is just not something you can deal with. You did misplay turn 2 (just ping the Bandit, playing a 3/2 is at best going to accomplish the same thing: removing the Bandit, but it wastes a card). Still, you were probably going to lose anyway.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »

Aggro Rogue happened. Not much you can do about that. Backstab+Defias into Demo with good aim is just not something you can deal with. You did misplay turn 2 (just ping the Bandit, playing a 3/2 is at best going to accomplish the same thing: removing the Bandit, but it wastes a card). Still, you were probably going to lose anyway.

I agree. He had a good draw, but it's really hard to go against an aggro deck that has a great start like that. You were basically given a series of bad choices. You should have pinged the Bandit, but that would probably have only amounted to a 5/4 Demolisher instead of a 6/2 Bandit.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 30, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »

So Hearthhead's deck builder could be useful for these discussions.  I think I got pretty lucky with this draft.  2-0 so far against two Mages, one of which was a perfect win.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=43109&edit
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 30, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »

That deck's sweet, Theory.  Most cards are good at the very least, you have a pretty solid curve, good spells, etc.

Out of curiosity, what were the other legendaries besides Ysera?  The only time I've ever had Ysera I was pretty underwhelmed by her, and wish I had taken the other legendary instead (Thalnos).  She's very good, but 9 mana is just too much sometimes.
Ysera, Deathwing, and Black Knight were literally the first three cards I saw when I started, this being my first-ever Arena choice.

I think that game always gives you 3 legendaries on first pick, as first three that I ever saw in arena were Nat Pagle, Deathwing and one that I don't remember.

Definitely not.  I got the legendaries first page my very first time in Arena, and never since.  I got a page of legendaries only one other time in ~6 arena tries.  So not guaranteed.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 30, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »

^I think he means the first pick for your first ever arena, not every arena.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »

That deck's sweet, Theory.  Most cards are good at the very least, you have a pretty solid curve, good spells, etc.

Out of curiosity, what were the other legendaries besides Ysera?  The only time I've ever had Ysera I was pretty underwhelmed by her, and wish I had taken the other legendary instead (Thalnos).  She's very good, but 9 mana is just too much sometimes.
Ysera, Deathwing, and Black Knight were literally the first three cards I saw when I started, this being my first-ever Arena choice.

I think that game always gives you 3 legendaries on first pick, as first three that I ever saw in arena were Nat Pagle, Deathwing and one that I don't remember.

Definitely not.  I got the legendaries first page my very first time in Arena, and never since.  I got a page of legendaries only one other time in ~6 arena tries.  So not guaranteed.

I think he meant that in your very first arena, your very first choice will be a legendary.  After that, not so much.

----

Also, one thing I have to say is that Blizz really went far above and beyond with the flavor texts on this, I just wish it were possible to see the flavor text during the game!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 30, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »

Also, one thing I have to say is that Blizz really went far above and beyond with the flavor texts on this, I just wish it were possible to see the flavor text during the game!

I love the flavor talk from the minions.  Hilariously perfect.  Also, the casting sound is the same as from WOW, so when the games lags as you are casting a spell, it feels just like when WOW would lag on big encounters.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

In regards to Match 4:

I very much disagree with your turn 2 play.  You spend your entire turn playing arcane missiles and passing, and while it does get rid of his board, it doesn't really develop yours at all, plus it uses your mana very inefficiently.  On top of that, you've effectively traded a card and 2 mana (missiles, the mana it took to cast it, and the mana you didn't use because you decided on that path) for 2 mana that he didn't even have to spend a card on.

There's a number of plays that would've been better.  Coining out any of your three drops would have been better, since it develops your board and leaves you with a 2/3 mana wurm, plus the effect of whatever you play.  Shattered sun Cleric is probably the one I would choose, since you get to have a 3/4 mana wyrm and a 3/2 SSC at end of turn.  I'm unsure whether trading with the 1/1 is good or not.  I would, but I tend to clear the board more than I should.  Coining out an acolyte of pain to try and eat his 1/1 and any future 1/1s is also fine, but I think worse than SSC since it puts so much less pressure on your opponent.  Just pinging his 1/1 would have been better as well, although worse than the minions.

One of the strengths of a card like arcane missiles is that it allows your to use your mana efficiently.  Because it costs only 1 mana, you can fit it in on a turn where you would otherwise be wasting a mana crystal.  On the other hand, those 3 drops are going to be pains to get out of your hand after turn 3... you want to play one on turn 2 and one on turn 3 to use your mana most efficiently.

The coin gets weaker as the game goes on, generally... you ended up not even using it!  Coining out a 2 drop on turn 1 is the best use of it, coining out a 3 drop on turn 2 is the second best use, and so on...  You could've pulled really far ahead with a strong turn 2, putting 2 strong minions on the board.  That's an opportunity you just can't afford to pass up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:44:46 pm by nkirbit »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 30, 2014, 06:44:41 pm »

So Hearthhead's deck builder could be useful for these discussions.  I think I got pretty lucky with this draft.  2-0 so far against two Mages, one of which was a perfect win.

OK, I'm now 5-0 with this deck.  I'm... kinda scared to continue.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 30, 2014, 06:45:30 pm »

Gj.  That deck's really good!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:10 pm »

yeah, keep going. When you make it to 7+ you pretty much ake enough gold for more arena runs right away. Plus you earn cool cards sometimes.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:36 pm »

yeah, keep going. When you make it to 7+ you pretty much ake enough gold for more arena runs right away. Plus you earn cool cards sometimes.

I think 9 wins guarantees your money back.  12 wins is the max.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 30, 2014, 06:49:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's 7.  It had been 7 for a while, and all of the runs I've ever gotten 7+ I've gotten at least 150 gold.  Maybe I'm just really lucky!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 30, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »

When I got 8 wins I got a bag of $150 and another bag with some more $$. So no, not guarenteed, but the total winnings will be worth way more than $150.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »

Each prize is a random pool, I think, so to get the guaranteed 150, I think you need 9 as of the last patch.  But I could be wrong, for sure.  I've never won that many anyway.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 30, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »

I'm very sure the break-even point is 7 wins.

(Edit: By break-even, I mean earning 150 gold. I believe you only need 3 wins to get 50 gold, which is break-even for if you just bought a pack, but I'm not sure on that.)

See http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10858265800?page=17#323 for more details, it's all speculation but the numbers look and feel accurate to me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:42:51 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 30, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »

I'm very sure the break-even point is 7 wins.

(Edit: By break-even, I mean earning 150 gold. I believe you only need 3 wins to get 50 gold, which is break-even for if you just bought a pack, but I'm not sure on that.)

See http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10858265800?page=17#323 for more details, it's all speculation but the numbers look and feel accurate to me.

yes, 3 wins will get you more than if you had just bought packs, but it may be in the form of dust or an extra card. 7 wins will pay for another arena run I think, but you can get less wins at still get lucky and get $150.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 30, 2014, 09:58:45 pm »

Theory, I think in game 4, you held onto the coin for far too long. Like Nkirbit said, using it turn 2 was probably best, but after that you had a few chances to use it. Turn 8 after you cast flamestrike to get another 2 drop out there would have been another good use.

The coin is more impactful early on (unless you're saving it for a turn 6 flamestrike or something). Getting a 3 cost minion on turn 2, or a 4 cost minion on turn 3, is much better in my eyes than just about anything else you could use the coin for.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.