Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613632 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #525 on: April 25, 2014, 11:48:21 pm »

Amani Berserker + Cruel Taskmaster = Why did I bother to show up?

It's only 7 damage, and then it trades with any 2 drop and half the 1 drops.

It should be expected that Warrior decks will run most of those low cost enraged minions. So many Warrior spells work with damaged minions that they just can can hit really hard with only a few minions.

But like drab said, 7 damage isn't game changing. It's good to able to deal with larger minions, say boulderfist ogres, but each class has ways unique to their class to do this kind of stuff.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2014, 12:28:12 am »

...unless your opponent can eliminate your drops on his turn with other minions or Fiery Axe, then attack your hero with the Berserker.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:37 am »

...unless your opponent can eliminate your drops on his turn with other minions or Fiery Axe, then attack your hero with the Berserker.

Well, if you're talking about turn 2/3 (or 1/2 with coin), they haven't had time to play anything else yet, except maybe a 1 drop. If you're talking about later on, then not having the ability to clear the Berserker before it can attack is unfortunate, yeah.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:55 am »
+1

In semi-related news, I made a silly aggro Warrior to get some quests done quickly, and yeah, if they can't answer T1 coin out Amani, T2 Cruel Taskmaster, then you pretty much get a free win. I'm only around rank 16-17 in play mode, but it's pretty ridiculous how out of hand Enrage creatures/Frothing Berzerker can get if you don't remove/silence them right away.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 27, 2014, 11:43:33 am »

In semi-related news, I made a silly aggro Warrior to get some quests done quickly, and yeah, if they can't answer T1 coin out Amani, T2 Cruel Taskmaster, then you pretty much get a free win. I'm only around rank 16-17 in play mode, but it's pretty ridiculous how out of hand Enrage creatures/Frothing Berzerker can get if you don't remove/silence them right away.

I have a similar deck, and it's tons of fun, but obviously not the most consistent. I'm still waiting to live the dream of turn 3 Raging Worgen, turn 4 Inner Rage x 2, Rampage x 2, attack for 28.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 27, 2014, 01:04:58 pm »

And gets two for one'd by a certain three drop.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »

One thing I like about arena are the really out-there combos you get to see sometimes.

Example: I just played against a Priest who did Mogu'shan Warden -> Inner Fire -> Faceless Manipulator, to get two 7/7's on the board.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:23 am »

I'm starting to appreciate how useful good neutrals are in Arena. I drafted a Priest deck which initially felt horrible (almost no 2 drops, no Holy Nova, one Shadow Word: Pain), but I'm getting carried ridiculously hard by Yeti, Dark Iron Dwarf, and lots of Earthen Ring Farseers.

To be fair, I also have one Shadow Madness, which has absolutely saved my life, and one Shadowform, which usually wins me the game if I can ever feel safe enough to play it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2014, 12:44:01 am »

Does anyone have any links to good guides, discussion forums, etc. on Hearthstone?  I used to live at elitistjerks when I was playing WOW, but can't find anything similar.

Wowhead has a section, but...well, yeah.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 29, 2014, 02:02:58 am »

I'm starting to appreciate how useful good neutrals are in Arena. I drafted a Priest deck which initially felt horrible (almost no 2 drops, no Holy Nova, one Shadow Word: Pain), but I'm getting carried ridiculously hard by Yeti, Dark Iron Dwarf, and lots of Earthen Ring Farseers.

To be fair, I also have one Shadow Madness, which has absolutely saved my life, and one Shadowform, which usually wins me the game if I can ever feel safe enough to play it.

Solid minions are the backbone of most good arena decks, and most of those turn out to be neutral!  Especially good 2-4 drops.. what you play during those turns determines if you're going to be ahead or behind, and that's huge.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2014, 08:57:28 am »

Does anyone have any links to good guides, discussion forums, etc. on Hearthstone?  I used to live at elitistjerks when I was playing WOW, but can't find anything similar.

Wowhead has a section, but...well, yeah.

Icy Veins has a reasonably good section.  Hearthpwn is the Curse of Hearthstone.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #536 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:15 am »

I like LiquidHearth but I'm generally biased in favor of TeamLiquid, having been with them for so long and knowing so many of the people that run it.

By the way, here's my first ever Arena deck! 

I haven't played it yet.  What do you think?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:06 am »

It look amazingly good. You got a great mana curve and a legendary. Ysera is not bad too.

Oh, Frostwolf Grunt is pretty bad though for a 2. I mean, if it was needed for the mana curve, yeah you have to choose it, but in general it's not good.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #538 on: April 29, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »

Yeah that was one of the not-so-many good choices ones.  My other choices were Goldshire Footman and ... Murloc Raider I want to say?  One of the crap Murlocs that gives +1 to other Murlocs or something.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #539 on: April 29, 2014, 12:02:08 pm »
+1

> secretly hoping that others would say the deck was terrible so he has something to blame when he goes 0-3

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »

> secretly hoping that others would say the deck was terrible so he has something to blame when he goes 0-3

Nah, at least 2-3 :P This looks better than most of my drafts.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »

Nah, at least 2-3 :P This looks better than most of my drafts.

Yeah, that's what I'd say.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 29, 2014, 02:12:27 pm »

That deck's sweet, Theory.  Most cards are good at the very least, you have a pretty solid curve, good spells, etc.

Out of curiosity, what were the other legendaries besides Ysera?  The only time I've ever had Ysera I was pretty underwhelmed by her, and wish I had taken the other legendary instead (Thalnos).  She's very good, but 9 mana is just too much sometimes.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 29, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »

Kirin Tor doesn't get to use his ability but has solid body nontheless, Blood Knight isn't all that jazz and Spiteful Smith is not much good here. Other than that and Frostwolf it is pretty neat.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 29, 2014, 02:23:26 pm »

I like Blood Knight in arena. You always hope for a better epic, but a 3/3 for 3 isn't bad, and hard countering Scarlet Crusader/Sunwalker/Argent Squire is always nice.

The one thing I'd be worried about is that if your board gets cleared, your Defenders + Dark Iron Dwarf + Shattered Sun are all weaker, but honestly that's more of a first world problem anyways, since those cards are really good at controlling the board in the first place.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #545 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:40 pm »

That deck's sweet, Theory.  Most cards are good at the very least, you have a pretty solid curve, good spells, etc.

Out of curiosity, what were the other legendaries besides Ysera?  The only time I've ever had Ysera I was pretty underwhelmed by her, and wish I had taken the other legendary instead (Thalnos).  She's very good, but 9 mana is just too much sometimes.
Ysera, Deathwing, and Black Knight were literally the first three cards I saw when I started, this being my first-ever Arena choice.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »

Ysera, Deathwing, and Black Knight were literally the first three cards I saw when I started, this being my first-ever Arena choice.

I really love Deathwing in Arena. Mana cost is high, but if the game goes that long it can turn around almost anything. My best arena run I owe largely to this card in a Priest deck aimed at making it to the late game. 3 of my 9 wins happened just because I had this card. You play out everything in your hand except Deathwing, let your opponent make seemingly good trades to regain board control allowing them to leave as many minions on the board of any size as they want and then drop Deathwing next turn to make them really regret playing out their hand.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 29, 2014, 06:59:55 pm »
+1

Theory you should feel bad if you go less than 4-3

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:50 am »

I think that game always gives you 3 legendaries on first pick, as first three that I ever saw in arena were Nat Pagle, Deathwing and one that I don't remember.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #549 on: April 30, 2014, 08:54:05 am »

Blah, went 2-0 and then 0-2. I think I screwed up the last game for sure, and perhaps the third game? Unclear: http://www.twitch.tv/10b5/profile/pastBroadcasts
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 21 queries.