Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613333 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #475 on: April 23, 2014, 06:06:20 pm »

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/fireside-gatherings/

Such a dumb idea to put this at the same time as Magic pre-release. No way will I be able to organize time to play both, and of course I am chosing MTG.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 23, 2014, 06:13:15 pm »

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/fireside-gatherings/

Such a dumb idea to put this at the same time as Magic pre-release. No way will I be able to organize time to play both, and of course I am chosing MTG.

I don't think it's a one time thing.. I thought that was just the release date of that feature.

(And I am excited for the magic prerelease as well.  Woohoo new cards!!)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »
+1

I think the kind of players that are dropping lots of money on HS and the kind that drop lots of money on MtG are different enough that it's not a bad call to conflict with the prerelease day.  MtG players play Hearthstone free to play because they want money spent to be an "investment".  Hearthstone players won't buy MtG cards because they seem overpriced by comparison.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 24, 2014, 03:44:56 am »

ashersky #1470

I hate poly.  I had the 2/7 minion that gains attack per damage up to 2/28...then sheep.

I wish you could break it, like in WOW.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:07 am »

ashersky #1470

I hate poly.  I had the 2/7 minion that gains attack per damage up to 2/28...then sheep.

Eggs, meet Basket. Basket, meet Eggs.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 24, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

ashersky #1470

Good advice for play, true, but I think one reason that Priest is weak is that its buffing is incredibly vulnerable to Polymorph and Hex.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 24, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

And silences (especially Battlecy silences) will hurt so much.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #482 on: April 24, 2014, 11:24:35 am »

I want Counterspell so bad.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 24, 2014, 11:39:02 am »

Counterspell is awesome. I got a golden one :) Although I don't play Mage, so it just sits in my collection.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 24, 2014, 02:02:37 pm »

ashersky #1470

Good advice for play, true, but I think one reason that Priest is weak is that its buffing is incredibly vulnerable to Polymorph and Hex.
In arena or play mode?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 24, 2014, 02:09:17 pm »

Counterspell is awesome. I got a golden one :) Although I don't play Mage, so it just sits in my collection.

It's so good. Easily the best mage secret.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 24, 2014, 02:24:00 pm »

It makes up up for the fact that Ice Barrier is terrible. I think it's worse than the Paladin Secrets, and those secrets can whiff so badly.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 24, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »

It makes up up for the fact that Ice Barrier is terrible. I think it's worse than the Paladin Secrets, and those secrets can whiff so badly.

The only good thing about Ice Barrier is that people might think that it's some other secret and play suboptimally to try and reveal it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »

The only good thing about Ice Barrier is that people might think that it's some other secret and play suboptimally to try and reveal it.

Thats true. I know I've been caught by this just because I couldn't afford to risk a valuable minion in case it was a vaporise. But like, it might as well be a vaporise at that point right? I'd act the same and it would actually kill a minion.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 24, 2014, 03:05:22 pm »

Thats true. I know I've been caught by this just because I couldn't afford to risk a valuable minion in case it was a vaporise. But like, it might as well be a vaporise at that point right? I'd act the same and it would actually kill a minion.

But it also might be something like Mirror Image so they summon a crappy minion instead of the one that would benefit them most to try and trigger it. And if they think it is Vapourize they might delay the valuable minions attack a turn to summon something else that can trigger the Vapourize. They also might cast a spell to try and see if its Counterspell. There's a few different things they might do to try and work out what it is depending on board position that you can use to your advantage.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2014, 03:06:48 pm »

But it also might be something like Mirror Image so they summon a crappy minion instead of the one that would benefit them most to try and trigger it. And if they think it is Vapourize they might delay the valuable minions attack a turn to summon something else that can trigger the Vapourize. They also might cast a spell to try and see if its Counterspell. There's a few different things they might do to try and work out what it is depending on board position that you can use to your advantage.

Yes, but the value of actually having the other Secrets is probably better than trying to trick your opponent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »

OK, this time I used up all my luck just in the draft.  Druid with:

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

I'll just assume all my draws will be the worst possible.  I'm not sure I even want to play this yet...

Edit:  OK, first game I drew three of the Swipes... I'll take it.

That's like a suped up version of a druid arena game I just drafted. I had so many strong taunters (2 Senjin, 1 Druid of the Claw, 1 Ironbark Protector, plus 1 Mark of the Wild and 2 Marks of Nature), but much less Swipes (I don't think I had any). I did have some good surprise cards (2 Keeper of the Grove, 3 Savage Roars, Claw, Wrath, Starfall) and I had 2 Innervates. The rest was mostly a mishmash of decent, but not great, minions, with the exception of an Ancient of Lore. I got to 5 wins before I got knocked out, which was a little disappointing, but in retrospect I would draft less Savage Roars (3 is overkill, it seems, they often weren't the best way to get some more damage on the table). Anyhow yes, lots of taunt is strong in Arena.

aaaaaand 3 wins with this.

Perhaps I just... suck?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »

Nah, you probably just had 3 too many Savage Roars.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

I'll just assume all my draws will be the worst possible.  I'm not sure I even want to play this yet...

That's like a suped up version of a druid arena game I just drafted. I had so many strong taunters (2 Senjin, 1 Druid of the Claw, 1 Ironbark Protector, plus 1 Mark of the Wild and 2 Marks of Nature), but much less Swipes (I don't think I had any). I did have some good surprise cards (2 Keeper of the Grove, 3 Savage Roars, Claw, Wrath, Starfall) and I had 2 Innervates. The rest was mostly a mishmash of decent, but not great, minions, with the exception of an Ancient of Lore. I got to 5 wins before I got knocked out, which was a little disappointing, but in retrospect I would draft less Savage Roars (3 is overkill, it seems, they often weren't the best way to get some more damage on the table). Anyhow yes, lots of taunt is strong in Arena.

Perhaps I just... suck?

My average wins in the arena is 3-4. Its very related to having a good mana curve, not just getting the best cards. I've passed up good cards for cards that have a certain cost, and those are the times I usually score 5+ wins.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »

Yes, but the value of actually having the other Secrets is probably better than trying to trick your opponent.

Well no argument there, but that assumes you have those secrets. (which I only have some of)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2014, 04:01:50 pm »

Well no argument there, but that assumes you have those secrets. (which I only have some of)

Yeah, I was talking purely theoretical :P Of course in practice you may not have them all. I don't either.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »

My average wins in the arena is 3-4. Its very related to having a good mana curve, not just getting the best cards. I've passed up good cards for cards that have a certain cost, and those are the times I usually score 5+ wins.

This is very true, awesome cards is part of it of course, but a (very) healthy dose of low cost minions is super important, and best if they are the decent ones (Argent Squire, Worgen Infiltrator, Amani Berserker, Fairie Dragon, Lucky Mad bombers, Knife Juggler etc.) You then need the power cards later on and to get max value.
Otherwise you just take too much damage too early if you don't draw a early clearer (lightning storm, consecration, holy nova)

What is SSC I can't figure it out!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2014, 04:11:38 pm »

This is very true, awesome cards is part of it of course, but a (very) healthy dose of low cost minions is super important, and best if they are the decent ones (Argent Squire, Worgen Infiltrator, Amani Berserker, Fairie Dragon, Lucky Mad bombers, Knife Juggler etc.) You then need the power cards later on and to get max value.
Otherwise you just take too much damage too early if you don't draw a early clearer (lightning storm, consecration, holy nova)

What is SSC I can't figure it out!

Shattered Sun Cleric

Edit:  Though a long, long time ago--say, 2007--it was Serpentshrine Cavern...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:12:42 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2014, 04:23:07 pm »

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

Perhaps I just... suck?

You're missing the best Druid card: Innervate. Innervate is just such a killer card. Turn 2 Yeti/Senjin or turn 3 VentureCo/DotC are just such blowouts that its really hard for your opponent to ever really get back in it.

But that said, your deck has so much taunt and board clear that it seems hard to imagine you just getting run over, and the AoWs should be good solid high-end creatures, so there has to be some bad luck or misplay in there. Like you said, you used up all your luck in the draft... How did the losses actually go?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

Perhaps I just... suck?

You're missing the best Druid card: Innervate. Innervate is just such a killer card. Turn 2 Yeti/Senjin or turn 3 VentureCo/DotC are just such blowouts that its really hard for your opponent to ever really get back in it.

But that said, your deck has so much taunt and board clear that it seems hard to imagine you just getting run over, and the AoWs should be good solid high-end creatures, so there has to be some bad luck or misplay in there. Like you said, you used up all your luck in the draft... How did the losses actually go?

Well, I didn't actually get any of the AoWs in play until Game 4 of 6, I think, and of course they were near-immediate removal targets.

I don't remember the first loss.  The second was against a paladin who got Light's Justice out and a ton of other minions, and I couldn't draw my Swipes and get the board clear.  The last was up against a Rogue... I was up 23-8, with 8 damage on the table, but his Sprint the previous turn allowed him to dump a ton of minions, then a Frostwolf Warlord, while I topdecked a Dire Wolf Alpha or something.  Next turn, he plays Stormwind Knight (charge and shield), attack, Shadowstep, and Knight again... and I topdecked an Ironbeak Owl.  It had been going really well up to that point, then nothing.

The rogue was able to basically rip through all of my taunts, using spell combos and saps, but I was able to keep things together mostly since he was spending all his energy on that.  I think it may have been a case where he just got really lucky on the Sprint.

The 3 wins I had were facerolls, though.  I feel bad for the mage that, as I recall, didn't actually damage me.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.