Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613383 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2014, 01:07:25 pm »

Sent out a bunch of friend requests.

Kirian#1720

----

Finally got a 4-win arena with a Paladin yesterday and today, but it's like my fifth arena run.  Went 3-0 to start, but then just wasn't getting board control in the last few matches.  Exactly 0 Epic/Legendary cards drafted. :(
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2014, 01:21:06 pm »

More of shraeye's musings...

I was interested in Rogue, the idea of the Combo cards sounded so cool.  But basic Rogue was sucking, hard.  Terribly.  I couldn't even finish my set of fights agaisnt the crappy normal-AI.  I tweaked the deck with the cards I'd won thusfar, and still didn't like it.  Without the combos, it just feels like a crappy version of the Warrior.  Favorite card: Sap? Fan of knives?  I disliked them both, but perhaps less than I disliked others.  Fun level: 0/10

Most of the basic decks just aren't that much fun. Play against people, complete quests and get some new cards. Even just a few new ones will added a lot of strength to your decks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »

Imo, the best classes with starting cards are Mage, Hunter, Paladin, Shaman, roughly in that order. Meanwhile Rogue and Warlock are both awful with just starting cards.

The game gets a lot better when you unlock some of the good neutral commons, and can start building decently strong decks.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2014, 02:02:24 pm »

I thought you were supposed to level each hero up to level 10 by fighting the expert AI's?  Am I doing it wrong? 

Currently I have a mage that I leveled to 10 and has a Basic Deck that can deal with the expert AI's fine, and a priest that's getting to level 10 by losing to the basic AI's over and over again.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2014, 02:14:24 pm »

I thought you were supposed to level each hero up to level 10 by fighting the expert AI's?  Am I doing it wrong? 

Currently I have a mage that I leveled to 10 and has a Basic Deck that can deal with the expert AI's fine, and a priest that's getting to level 10 by losing to the basic AI's over and over again.

You level up just by playing. You level up even faster by playing people. And I think even the casual match finder tries to find someone of roughly equal level (I guess it does it by how many cards you have? And win/lose ratio?) so that you don't get murdered by crazy strong decks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2014, 02:17:35 pm »

You get better exp for beating real people, and you'll usually be matched against people with similarly bad decks early on. That being said, you get 100 gold for beating all expert AI, so it's worth playing them too.

PPE: the matching in unranked is done by some internal Elo rating if I remember correctly, but I'm guessing there's also some accounting for # of games played.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »

Quite smartly, you get xp scaling on length of games (there may be other factors, I'm sure there are i.e. vs basic ai, expert ai, real people, friends, real people ranked, etc.) You certainly don't have to play against the expert AI to get to lvl 10.
This is a simple way to stop people quitting games vs friends to lvl up quickly!

@Shraeye
I agree, that Rogue is essentially unplayable without any extra cards as there are no combo cards in basic. If you want to see extra cards, another way is to do arenas, though you do risk kinda wasting the gold if you arena without any experience, but you always get a pack.

@Kirian
4 wins is quite respectable in your first bunch of arenas, seems harsh not to even have seen an epic yet! Legendaries can be quite rare. Paladins are probably my strongest char in arena, because the character commons are all great (Truesilver, Consecration are both amazing) Aldor Peacekeeper and the Divine shield giving guy are also very strong.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2014, 06:56:29 pm »

Oh I've seen epics and legendaries, just none in this particular draft.

Drafted a Mage this time.  Out of 90 cards seen, not a single one was Fireball, Frostbolt, Flamestrike, or Pyroblast.  Just... nothing.

Edit:  Oh, no Polymorph either.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:07:17 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:04 pm »

Drafted a Mage this time.  Out of 90 cards seen, not a single one was Fireball, Frostbolt, Flamestrike, or Pyroblast.  Just... nothing.

There's still Blizzard! I also got a no firball, polymorph or pyroblast once. I did get Flamestrike though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 21, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »

oh shit, did you add me on hearthstone shraeye? Your name reminded me of a really annoying guy that i removed from my friends list named schratz or something so i didn't breathe a word to you

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »

oh shit, did you add me on hearthstone shraeye? Your name reminded me of a really annoying guy that i removed from my friends list named schratz or something so i didn't breathe a word to you

Did you add me? KingZog3#1700

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:59 pm »

There's still Blizzard! I also got a no firball, polymorph or pyroblast once. I did get Flamestrike though.

No Blizzard either.  No direct damage spells.  A couple of Cones of Cold.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:20 pm »

Yeah man; I'm way cooler than schratz.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:54 am »

The real question is, how many Water Elementals? I feel strongly that Water Elemental is the best Mage common, but no one seems to lament missing it when they talk about their luckless drafts.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 22, 2014, 12:32:37 am »

The real question is, how many Water Elementals? I feel strongly that Water Elemental is the best Mage common, but no one seems to lament missing it when they talk about their luckless drafts.

I believe one, though I don't remember for certain.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 22, 2014, 12:33:27 am »

I don't know about best Mage common, but after a couple runs I'd have to agree that Water Elemental is amazing. I'd rate Poly over Water Elemental over Flamestrike, but really all 3 of those are super good.

Edit: Actually, I think I'd rate Flamestrike > Water Elemental. They're both better in different situations, but Flamestrike is better more often.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:34:32 am by Titandrake »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:36 am »

I don't know about best Mage common, but after a couple runs I'd have to agree that Water Elemental is amazing. I'd rate Poly over Water Elemental over Flamestrike, but really all 3 of those are super good.

Edit: Actually, I think I'd rate Flamestrike > Water Elemental. They're both better in different situations, but Flamestrike is better more often.

Water Elemental is so much more consistent, though. Some games Flamestrike is great, some games it's a 7 mana Shadowbolt.

Also Flamestrike is better against worse players -- Water Elemental is just always good.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:54 am »

Imo, the best classes with starting cards are Mage, Hunter, Paladin, Shaman, roughly in that order. Meanwhile Rogue and Warlock are both awful with just starting cards.
Yea,, I just played Paladin.  It was really fun.  Blessing of Light, Hand of Protection, Hammer of Wrath.  Of of these were super-fun cards. Fun level: 9/10.

I may go through just the Hunter, and then try out Arena.  Maybe I'll give Priest a try too.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 22, 2014, 08:59:26 am »

Water Elemental is so much more consistent, though. Some games Flamestrike is great, some games it's a 7 mana Shadowbolt.

Also Flamestrike is better against worse players -- Water Elemental is just always good.

Water elemental is very good. But the cheapness of Fireball is pretty hard to beat. For 4 mana you can deal with nearly any tough minion, especially in the arena. I had one Mage draft with 4 Fireballs. It was an easy couple of wins.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 22, 2014, 01:31:51 pm »

4 fireballs is awesome, I think I had 4 polys once and the sheer additional annoyance to the opponent makes Poly better I think! Water Elemental is almost always a must choose though Flamestrike wins games straight out if your opponent over commits, and saves games if you're just that bit behind. The only better thing is the next Flamestrike after your opponent plays out a whole extra bunch of things having seen the first flamestrike!
How did the no good spells run go Kirian? Sometimes it just sucks and you get trounced, them's the breaks!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 22, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

4 fireballs is awesome, I think I had 4 polys once and the sheer additional annoyance to the opponent makes Poly better I think! Water Elemental is almost always a must choose though Flamestrike wins games straight out if your opponent over commits, and saves games if you're just that bit behind. The only better thing is the next Flamestrike after your opponent plays out a whole extra bunch of things having seen the first flamestrike!
How did the no good spells run go Kirian? Sometimes it just sucks and you get trounced, them's the breaks!

2-3.  The main problem, I think, was actually lack of ability to follow up with damage after taking care of minor threats.  I couldn't pile damage on like I do with my constructed mage.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 22, 2014, 02:22:08 pm »

The game gets a lot better when you unlock some of the good neutral commons, and can start building decently strong decks.

I'm not sure Rogue is so awful with just starting cards. You still have the great early game strength of Backstab, Deadly Poision and Hero Power. And Sprint and Assassin's Blade are pretty good late game for basic cards. Clearly you can't play Miracle Rogue, but if you like tempo-based play, basic Rogue is pretty good.

The thing with Water Elemental is it's not so much better than Sen'jin or Yeti. So you can get none but not really miss it if you get other quality 4-drops. There's nothing that really replaces Flamestrike.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 23, 2014, 10:05:11 am »

OK, this time I used up all my luck just in the draft.  Druid with:

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

I'll just assume all my draws will be the worst possible.  I'm not sure I even want to play this yet...

Edit:  OK, first game I drew three of the Swipes... I'll take it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:19:02 am by Kirian »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:48 pm »

OK, this time I used up all my luck just in the draft.  Druid with:

4x Swipe
2x Ancient of War
2x Druid of the Claw
2x SSC
2x Shieldmasta

I'll just assume all my draws will be the worst possible.  I'm not sure I even want to play this yet...

Edit:  OK, first game I drew three of the Swipes... I'll take it.

That's like a suped up version of a druid arena game I just drafted. I had so many strong taunters (2 Senjin, 1 Druid of the Claw, 1 Ironbark Protector, plus 1 Mark of the Wild and 2 Marks of Nature), but much less Swipes (I don't think I had any). I did have some good surprise cards (2 Keeper of the Grove, 3 Savage Roars, Claw, Wrath, Starfall) and I had 2 Innervates. The rest was mostly a mishmash of decent, but not great, minions, with the exception of an Ancient of Lore. I got to 5 wins before I got knocked out, which was a little disappointing, but in retrospect I would draft less Savage Roars (3 is overkill, it seems, they often weren't the best way to get some more damage on the table). Anyhow yes, lots of taunt is strong in Arena.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2014, 05:13:16 pm »

Sent out a bunch of friend requests.

Kirian#1720

Now that I've started playing again, I just did the same.
mikohoy#1464
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.