Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613751 times)

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #425 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:34 am »

I believe iOS iPad version just came out. This is bad news for my free time...

Jdaki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:51 am »

Maybe worse news for my not-really-meant-to-be-free time

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 17, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

Played through Shaman, including 2 matches in the Ranked arena with the basic deck (competition isn't fierce, since I'm at rank 24 now...if they have any fancy cards, they beat me...if they don't I seem to win).  Really boring.  It was sorta cute, because most of my wins felt combo-ish.  But the overall strategy seems to be to flood the board with underwhelming things like my totems, and 2/2 taunts and whatnot.  Then cast something like Frostwolf Warlord, or 2x Raid Leader.  Yell "surprise!" and then double the surprise with stuff like Rockbiter Weapon and Windfury on the following turn.  I guess there are some ok cards to sustain me to the point where I yell surprise...but I just don't have fun playing "just barely tread water until I lash out for victory".  Favorite card: Frostwolf Warlord (probably telling that my favorite card isn't even a class-card; i guess Ancestral Healing helped sustain me, but it wasn't fun) Fun level: 3/10

Now onto Paladin...

Do you have Bloodlust in your deck? That's a good card for building up crappy minions and then winning in one fell swoop.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 17, 2014, 10:33:46 am »
+3

Shaman I think is a class that is pretty terrible with only free cards. You don't have any of the overload cards, which are a big strength of the class and really what makes it interesting.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:36:10 am by HiveMindEmulator »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:15 am »

I did unlock Bloodlust, which makes things more interesting.  I've seen some of the overload cards as well, and pretty much agree with HME.  It was a terrible deck with just the free cards, but I can see cards that exist which would unlock more potential.  Does the style of play change?  Or is it still the sort of "stall-stall-build-stall-BOOM!" style of play?

I appreciate people's comments back on my initial thoughts.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »

I did unlock Bloodlust, which makes things more interesting.  I've seen some of the overload cards as well, and pretty much agree with HME.  It was a terrible deck with just the free cards, but I can see cards that exist which would unlock more potential.  Does the style of play change?  Or is it still the sort of "stall-stall-build-stall-BOOM!" style of play?

Lashing out in one big turn is one way to try and win with Shaman for sure, but there are many possible plays since he has a lot of various cards that do different things. His field wipe is strong, although a bit random, and the card that summons two 2/3's is great (Forgot the name right now).

To be honest Shaman is a class I've played less, so I'm sort of BSing right now.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »

Lashing out in one big turn is one way to try and win with Shaman for sure, but there are many possible plays since he has a lot of various cards that do different things. His field wipe is strong, although a bit random, and the card that summons two 2/3's is great (Forgot the name right now).

To be honest Shaman is a class I've played less, so I'm sort of BSing right now.

I think the card you are thinking of is Feral Wolves (summon two 2/3s with taunt, overload (2)). And yes that card is great.

The Shaman specific elementals are really great cards too. Fire Elemental gives you 3 damage when you summon it one of the best battlecries in the game, Earth Elemental is 7/8 taunt for 5 mana (3 overload), and the Unbound Elemental gets +1/+1 per overload card you play, which isn't great, but it's a 2/4 that costs 3 so it's still pretty good. Shaman is very card dependent though, and a lot of it is about knowing when to play your cards. You can really screw yourself by playing an overload card when it prevents you from doing anything on your next turn. It's a lot more RNG based too as some of the totems are a lot more useful in certain situations than others (sometimes you really want that taunt, sometimes you really want +1 Spell power, sometimes you really want the Healing totem). It's probably a better class to play once you've built your library up a bit, but it is an interesting one.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10:38 pm »

Shaman has a lot of burst finish potential with Bloodlust or more commonly Windfury, but I wouldn't call it "stall-stall-build-stall-BOOM". Overload lets you get a tempo advantage which you can hopefully use to build a board. If you have the right stuff out, you can burst finish, but for the most part you're really building the board to get value from your hero power not just to stall for some combo. I have played some combo Shaman deck where I do actually just stall to get Alexstrasza into Leeroy + Rockbiter + Windfury, but I found that weaker than just playing board control with 1 Windfury in the deck for the potential to burst out a win without wasting too many cards on win condition. Apparently Doomhammer is also a popular win condition, since early charges can be used for board control, and then you can use Rockbiter to hit him in the face for 10 damage + whatever your board can do, but I don't have Doomhammer, so I stick with Windfury.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:17 am »

My impression is that most high level constructed decks have ways to deal lots of damage from the hand. Hunters get Unleash + Leeroy, Rogues get Cold Blood + Eviscerate + Deadly Poison + Blade Flurry, Druids get Force of Nature + Savage Roar, Warlocks get Soulfire, Warriors get Grommash + Whirlwind, and Shamans get Rockbiter + Windfury. Arguably, Avenging Wrath for Paladins, but that's more of a stretch.

It shouldn't be that surprising, since damage this turn is a lot better than damage next turn. I guess the point I'm making is that very few decks are stall until the combo. Most are, play some creatures, get some board position, then if I draw my combo I'll use it to win decisively.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 18, 2014, 06:08:15 am »

That is more like what my experience is too. Although I'm not too highly ranked in constructed.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2014, 10:25:17 am »

I just got Hearthstone on iPad.  I have never played it before.  I'm afraid.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:38 am »

KingZog3#1700

I'm super pro. Top notch with all the golden cards.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 18, 2014, 11:33:26 am »

I just tried it on iPad. I think I'll play it on my PC more. Although playing in bed and on the subway sounds pretty nice.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 18, 2014, 12:21:49 pm »

My impression is that most high level constructed decks have ways to deal lots of damage from the hand. Hunters get Unleash + Leeroy, Rogues get Cold Blood + Eviscerate + Deadly Poison + Blade Flurry, Druids get Force of Nature + Savage Roar, Warlocks get Soulfire, Warriors get Grommash + Whirlwind, and Shamans get Rockbiter + Windfury. Arguably, Avenging Wrath for Paladins, but that's more of a stretch.

It shouldn't be that surprising, since damage this turn is a lot better than damage next turn. I guess the point I'm making is that very few decks are stall until the combo. Most are, play some creatures, get some board position, then if I draw my combo I'll use it to win decisively.
The Rogue finisher is usually Lerooy + some combo of Shadowsteps and/or Cold Bloods. Warlocks sometimes go as big as Leeroy + Power Overwhelming + Faceless (for 20 damage + whatever Soulfires you have). Warriors can get to 12 with Grommash + Taskmaster or Inner Rage.

Generally I think these combos are for mid-range decks. Aggressive tempo decks don't really need a finishing combo either as they just overwhelm with minions. Control decks can just defend while the other deck burns out and then win on big minions. The mid-range decks need that burst to finish off the control decks. People do also run them in control decks, but that's a bit questionable to me as you can end up wasting a lot of cards on win condition that you can't use for control, and then you get overrun by aggro with half your hand wasted on win condition cards.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:21 pm »

So, I've played about 8 straight games against midrange hunter.  I'm playing watcher druid, and I think the matchup is *okay*, but I'm looking for something better until all these stupid hunters die away.  Deadly shot is a huge pain.

Anyone got any suggestions?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »

^There's no great way to play around deadly shot. Ideally you want a big Taunt with small minions on the side to give miss chance, but you don't really want too many small minions, because then they can Hunter's Mark your taunt and UTH you. So I think your best bet is just accepting they have Assassinate in their deck. That can't be the only reason you're losing, as other decks have multiple hard removal cards. Maybe your deck needs more heal or Ooze? I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another deck that matches up better against Hunter than Watcher Druid.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 18, 2014, 04:00:44 pm »

I should really just cut Ysera.  She's not that good right now.. but she's so much fun!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:16 pm »

I noticed a crazy amount of Hunter's too. I'm playing a control-priest deck, and it seems to work out pretty nicely. Hunters only have 2 Deadly Shot's, so you just need to be able to play enough threatening creatures at various stages of the game. Also UTH is not great against my deck as I rarely have that many creatures out since they all get traded as soon as they can.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #443 on: April 19, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »

I'm theory#1157.  Add me!

Jdaki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 19, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »

I scrapped my Ancient Watcher druid deck, was just getting overrun by zoo and hunter rush too easily, I've put in more spells instead and finally got into lvl 10 after a whole ton of games in rank 11 and 12.
I do think the zoo deck may be worse than the Hunter rush. It is absolutely more reliable and super quick. I admit I made a hunter rush deck for a quick push up the ladder and have made a zoo deck to mix things up too- when it works it is just lethal. I also quite like the warrior control deck, but went of it after I played one game where I mulligan-ed (!) into a hand of 9 - 8 - 8 and then drew in first two turns, a 7 and another 9. all my legendaries :( it was game over

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »

I'm usually the kind of person who plays these games more than builds decks for them. I like arena a lot, and I crib from better deckbuilders for constructed. But I think I've found something good that I haven't seen anyone else playing... Now I just need to get 2and copies of the cards I'm missing and shoot straight to legendary rank! My super secret tech will be the wave of the future!

Jdaki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2014, 02:14:09 pm »

I might have the cards; why don't let me try it out for you?  ;)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »

I'm usually the kind of person who plays these games more than builds decks for them. I like arena a lot, and I crib from better deckbuilders for constructed. But I think I've found something good that I haven't seen anyone else playing... Now I just need to get 2and copies of the cards I'm missing and shoot straight to legendary rank! My super secret tech will be the wave of the future!
I do this, but it always turns out the thing I'm making up is after its time or before its time.  I was playing miracle rogue before miracle rogue was actually decent in the meta, you can ask HME.

I don't run deadly shot in midrange hunter and find a second copy questionable, so I'm surprised that's coming up a lot.  The inverse of HME's suggestion for making a Deadly Shot miss is, instead of taunt, stealth.   I like Worgen Infiltrator in Druid in general (Roar synergy, better than Squire against zoo's Raptors), and it happens to counter Deadly Shot pretty well, if it's sitting there waiting for a Hyena to kill your opponent can't use Deadly Shot safely until you cash the worgen in. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »

I'm theory#1157.  Add me!
Theory Eleven Fifty-Seven.  In bookstores today.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

More of shraeye's musings...

I was interested in Rogue, the idea of the Combo cards sounded so cool.  But basic Rogue was sucking, hard.  Terribly.  I couldn't even finish my set of fights agaisnt the crappy normal-AI.  I tweaked the deck with the cards I'd won thusfar, and still didn't like it.  Without the combos, it just feels like a crappy version of the Warrior.  Favorite card: Sap? Fan of knives?  I disliked them both, but perhaps less than I disliked others.  Fun level: 0/10
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.