Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613271 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #350 on: March 12, 2014, 07:07:26 am »

PSA: Sorcerer's apprentice will now cause a visual bug where you appear to have less mana than you do.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

A shuffled deck is dependent randomness, though, not independent like a coin flip. That's my major issue with it I think.
That's part of it, and Pagle is also boring randomness. Mad Bomber is also independent but is a lot more fun as a card. A Pagle mirror of "one player randomly gains card advantage" is dull. I'm surprised they didn't go the route of having the card choose from a couple different random bonuses that are weaker-yet-more-interesting than drawing a card. That said, I rarely play constructed, so as long as Pagle's not deciding the outcome of ESGN Fight Nights anymore, I don't really care what form the nerf takes.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 12, 2014, 06:22:30 pm »

I just downloaded this last night and it is kinda fun.  It's the first TCG I've ever played, so I'm not really good at building a deck yet (especially because there are so many cards to choose from) but I'm having fun.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 12, 2014, 07:03:08 pm »

I am always amazed at how many legendaries/epics some people have compared to how well they know how to play the game. I guess these are newbies who bought some packs?

I am glad though that deckbuilding and having good cards is at most half of the the game though; otherwise my hmmm-this-card-looks-fun style decks would not win much in constructed.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 12, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »

So, I DE'd my golden tinkmaster yesterday and crafted a Ysera and Ragnaros to put into my druid deck.

oh my god are they ridiculous.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:25 pm »

I keep getting stuck at 6 wins in arena :( Really bad number to be stuck at, but at least I'm getting lucky with still getting 130-140 gold often.

Alos, it's really annoying you can't alt-tab out anymore somehow.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:39 pm »

Just saw this in the patch notes:
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/13154924
Secrets can now only activate on your opponent’s turn.

Activating your own secrets feels a little strange, but mostly, the ability to do this was preventing us from creating new and powerful secrets that trigger off of events you can easily control (like a minion dying).  They end up functioning just like spells, instead of trying to bait your opponent into a bad play.  This change keeps secrets working like traps you lay for your opponent, instead of spells that you cast and use on your own turn.
Sad to see this as it's a significant nerf to Redemption. (There's almost no effect on other secrets apart from Eye for an Eye, barring edge cases like a Misdirected attack.) Paladin secrets were already pretty weak in arena, but Redemption could get OK value with careful use. Now it seems almost useless, since triggering it off a token is horrible.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:15 pm »

^Redemption was already pretty bad in arena, since you need enough divine shield and/or charge minions to get any value out of it. But yeah, it went from situationally pickable to nearly unpickable.

There were constructed decks that focused on it, and there were even constructed rush decks that used Eye for and Eye as a sort of Sinister Strike by playing it then hitting your high-attack minion with a weapon. Sucks for the people running those decks (though maybe not, since now they are forced to play something better).

Anyway, I think it's nice that it opens up the design space for more powerful secrets even if it makes all the current ones useless. There's going to be a lot more cards coming out in the future.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:34:58 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:05 am »

Redemption was a good arena card before.  It just was very bad in decks that are designed to maximize value Truesilver, which are your archetypical 9 win Paladin decks.  A bad draft that is not getting offered Truesilvers and Consecrates could be salvaged from 2-3 wins up to 5-6 by constructing a deck that consistently plays Redemption->Coin-Resilient3.  As player 1, Redemption fit in smoothly as a step in "I play a dude, you play a dude, i bash my dude into your dude, I play a dude, you play a dude, <insert redemption> I bash my dude into your dude".

That's not really a thing anymore.

On the other hand, Redemption might, maybe, possibly, stay level or get better in constructed.  You can now put Wolf Riders and Blue Gill Warriors (and southsea deckhands) without interfering with redemption, so you can stick a Scarlet Crusader ontop of a Redemption out there and still keep doing useful stuff with your mana if they try to refuse to kill it. Before the only decent things you could do with your mana costed exactly 4 mana.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:42 am »

Redemption was a good arena card before.  It just was very bad in decks that are designed to maximize value Truesilver, which are your archetypical 9 win Paladin decks.  A bad draft that is not getting offered Truesilvers and Consecrates could be salvaged from 2-3 wins up to 5-6 by constructing a deck that consistently plays Redemption->Coin-Resilient3.  As player 1, Redemption fit in smoothly as a step in "I play a dude, you play a dude, i bash my dude into your dude, I play a dude, you play a dude, <insert redemption> I bash my dude into your dude".

Redemption is a passable 1-drop, but 1-drops are bad. It's true that you are more likely to pick 1-drops with Paladin than with other classes, because board control is even more valuable with the ability to snowball with tokens and buffs, but it's still a long way from "good". I guess it depends on what you mean by "good". Better than Young Dragonhawk, sure. But not something I'm typically taking over Raptor/Croc.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »

Warrior wins: 1/500

Seeing this is pretty daunting. I don't think I'll get anywhere close to 500 for any class...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2014, 11:52:08 pm »

Redemption is a passable 1-drop, but 1-drops are bad. It's true that you are more likely to pick 1-drops with Paladin than with other classes, because board control is even more valuable with the ability to snowball with tokens and buffs, but it's still a long way from "good". I guess it depends on what you mean by "good". Better than Young Dragonhawk, sure. But not something I'm typically taking over Raptor/Croc.
Better than croc, not raptor.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:50 am »

Really, Redemption over River Crocodile? I'm a fan of Redemption myself, you get a surprising amount of mileage out of making a trade not work out the way your opponent planned it. My issue is that the 1 damage ping is so easy to do. I suppose you get a lot of tempo for it though, when you play Redemption early, and especially if you popped it yourself.

I'm kinda sad that's not doable anymore, but hopefully a new secret comes out that makes it worth it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:19 am »

"1 damage ping is so easy to do"?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:15 am »

Mage/Druid/Rogue's Hero Powers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2014, 07:40:22 am »

Those only kill half a Harvest Golem or Crusader though.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:40 am »

I know, I was merely explaining Titantdrake's term.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 15, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »
+1

This!
So annoying- but switched to window mode and can play half heartedly once more!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 15, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »

This!
So annoying- but switched to window mode and can play half heartedly once more!

Is actually very annoying since when I disconnect from my internet I can't go check it without quitting my game. Playing in a window sucks.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »
+1

Workaround: You can press Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode and then Alt+Tab.

Has anyone managed to successfully reconnect to a game?
I've had like 5 arena losses due to second-long connection drops today...

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »

And it's up to 6...
EDIT: And 7. I'm pretty sure my internet connection didn't even drop for a second the last two times...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:58:48 pm by Watno »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »

Good workaround, I actually haven't played since they stopped letting me alt-tab out because it annoyed me, but this will totally solve that.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that the clock tower actually tells the time?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:25 pm »

Yes.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:18 pm »

And it's up to 6...
EDIT: And 7. I'm pretty sure my internet connection didn't even drop for a second the last two times...

I have reconnected after a second disconnection. It clears your log and usually the game takes so long that you miss your turn.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.