Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613468 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »

Is that true? It's 30 constructed wins to get 1 pack if you're not counting Daily Quests. 15 if we say that a Daily Quest nets you 50 gold. Even with arena runs under 7 wins, I think this would actually be faster, or at least as fast. Everytime you hit 7+ wins in a single arena, you've basically saved like 20+ constructed wins.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »

Is that true? It's 30 constructed wins to get 1 pack if you're not counting Daily Quests. 15 if we say that a Daily Quest nets you 50 gold. Even with arena runs under 7 wins, I think this would actually be faster, or at least as fast. Everytime you hit 7+ wins in a single arena, you've basically saved like 20+ constructed wins.

On the other hand, if you're winning 2 or 3 in Arena, it ends up being slower than constructed :(

(More specifically, it takes a lot of constructed wins to get into Arena, and not very many arena losses to make you have to go back to losing a lot of constructed.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:35:10 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2014, 01:58:42 pm »

Well, if you're getting 2-3 wins in arena, and your goal is to get cards, you would've been better off buying a pack, I think.  It used to be 5+ wins to guarantee that you got at least enough gold to make arena buying a pack, although I'm not 100% sure if that's still the case.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 01, 2014, 02:00:24 pm »

Technically, my goal should be to get better at arena, but I'm not interested in putting money in to do that.  Which means needing better cards in constructed so that I can play more than one arena every 40 or so constructed games.

(And this is why I haven't actually played recently... it's just not worth the time, time that I don't have anyway.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 01, 2014, 02:03:47 pm »

Fair enough.  One benefit of playing less is that you'll spend more time playing arena, since your ratio of daily quests to time played in game will increase.  Since I started doing a run every two days or so I've found it much much easier to keep the gold total going up rather than dropping rapidly.

What rank did everyone end last season at?  I was 12, although I wasn't particularly close to plateauing.. I just play way more arena than constructed.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »
+1

What I meant about the time thing is that if you are time-limited, but not gold-limited (i.e. you had infinity gold), then buying packs is faster than playing arena. So if you're good enough at arena that you're stacking up gold (or you're spending IRL money), eventually you want to spend your gold on packs, because you can't burn through it fast enough (or at all) with arena.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2014, 02:40:56 pm »

Fair enough.  One benefit of playing less is that you'll spend more time playing arena, since your ratio of daily quests to time played in game will increase.  Since I started doing a run every two days or so I've found it much much easier to keep the gold total going up rather than dropping rapidly.

What rank did everyone end last season at?  I was 12, although I wasn't particularly close to plateauing.. I just play way more arena than constructed.

I finished at rank 3 (though I hit rank 2 twice), mostly playing 3 decks:
1. a taunt-heavy Druid, with Watchers, Sen'jin, and Mark of the Wild; and a curve topping out at 6 for Cairne, Black Knight, and Gelbin
2. a Priest with Ancient Watchers, Sen'jins, and Molten Giants to deal with aggro; and Thoughtsteal, Rag, Ysera, Mind Control to deal with control
3. a fairly standard Shaman with Pyromancer for anti-aggro, no 4-drops, Argent Commanders, and a Windfury finisher

It seems the meta-game changed a lot over the course of the season. The Shaman was good when it was a lot of mid-rangey stuff with some aggro. The Priest was good when things polarized to heavy control or heavy aggro. But by the end, when it was mostly tempo Warlock or tempo Druid, the Druid became the best.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 01, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »

Gelbin?  Was he good for you?  I never have really played with or against him.

I had a druid deck which I built myself, which beat aggro pretty heavily, since it was all removals and taunters.  It could never really beat an Ysera though... I should get an Ysera for myself, haha.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »

Gelbin?  Was he good for you?  I never have really played with or against him.

I had a druid deck which I built myself, which beat aggro pretty heavily, since it was all removals and taunters.  It could never really beat an Ysera though... I should get an Ysera for myself, haha.

Actually I guess my curve technically went to 7 with Ancients of Lore, but I did run Gelbin as my biggest creature, rather than Rag, which is most likely better. But I sure didn't want to curve up to 9.

Gelbin is probably (almost certainly) worse than Rag, but he's fun. If you maintain board control, and have taunts, he's great since in that situation Homing Chicken and Emboldener are amazing, Repair bot decent, and only Poultryizer bad.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2014, 06:02:29 pm »

The nice thing about Hearthstone is that if you don't have much time to play each day, you can get 1 arena a day a lot easier. Essentially, every day you turn down a 40 gold quest to try to get a 60 gold quest, then make a decently solid deck if the quest doesn't match your arena class.

I've got budget decks for all the classes, but they're all basically the same. Good neutral cards, plus a couple class specific ones. It's kind of boring though, and I don't have enough rarer cards to make gimmick decks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:03:51 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2014, 06:04:28 pm »

Has the disconnection issue been a problem for people? I lost two Arena games due to it today, one of which I was almost certain to win, and the other I was maybe 60% to win.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

Technically, my goal should be to get better at arena, but I'm not interested in putting money in to do that.  Which means needing better cards in constructed so that I can play more than one arena every 40 or so constructed games.

(And this is why I haven't actually played recently... it's just not worth the time, time that I don't have anyway.)
I'm okay with spending money on entering arena. I've spent $8 on entering arena so far, the rest of the time paying with gold earned through quests and arena rewards. For the amount of time I've spent playing Hearthstone, that's completely worth it. (It's less than the price of seeing a movie once in a theatre!)

The thing that makes me feel it's acceptable is that it's pay-to-enter, which is a non-exploitative business model. I wouldn't be comfortable with pay-to-win (which is sort of what below-top-level constructed is like), with pay-to-accelerate-play (because that's just a technique to abuse you psychologically for cash), or with pay-for-random-reward (which is effectively a slot machine, and exactly what buying packs is).

The only part of arena's pay-to-enter that is exploitative is that the amount of games you get to play is partly random, so you're not getting a fixed reward (here, play time) for your entry fee. That bothers me a little, but it's pretty minor overall I think. The play time for a single arena run generally falls within a pretty narrow band (as I tend to go between 3-3 and 7-3), so the psychological effect is minor.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:37:02 pm by blueblimp »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2014, 09:03:11 am »

After a looong break of few months, I am playing again.

Either I suck at counting or there was a bug, but I was 7-1, lose one, and it changed to 8-2 (instead of 7-2).

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2014, 02:07:20 pm »

I am still enjoying Hearthstone, but arena> constructed. I do feel I have opened enough packs so that it isn't completely unbalanced in constructed, but it is a bit more boring- less pressure to do well, and I still find rares that I always have in arena that I don't appear to have. I have accumulated quite a lot of dust though, without crafting anything really.
I have only paid to enter one arena, which was my first 12 win which seemed pretty coincidental! Got two packs at the end of that too!
Didn't succumb to buying any more though, often accumulating three quests is enough to cover the disastrous arena runs, and then aiming for the 8 win mark which is where you normally cover yourself gold wise (as in the pack is free). This then keeps me out of constructed apart from when I need a range of heroes. Even then, it's easier to not play ranked.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2014, 09:37:28 pm »
+2

Arena is pretty cool

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »
+1

Arena has a lot of good stuff going for it in that it provides a greater variety of experience, allowing you to see more situations you haven't seen before, which can allow you to have to think more, but there are 2 major drawbacks:
1. The level of competition varies too widely. In your first few games of every arena, you very often run into people who have no idea how to play the game. In constructed this ramp-up happens once every ladder reset, but in arena it happens every 3-14 games.
2. You can't play against friends.

It would be neat if arena were somehow stratified, say maybe having a higher-stakes arena reserved for players who have hit 12 wins at least once or something. And also if there were a way to play some sort of draft format against friends.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:18 pm »

Dunno why people diss constructed so much.

I am on a budget, and only have 2 legendaries (from packs, Mukla and Tirion), have few decks that I run (Druid Taunts, Paladin Weenie, Mage Agro, some random-fun too) and am having quite some fun. I play arena when I get the cash, but am doing significantly worse than before :D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »

Same reason I diss Cotton Candy flavored ice cream.  It's not my preference.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »

Arena has a lot of good stuff going for it in that it provides a greater variety of experience, allowing you to see more situations you haven't seen before, which can allow you to have to think more, but there are 2 major drawbacks:
1. The level of competition varies too widely. In your first few games of every arena, you very often run into people who have no idea how to play the game. In constructed this ramp-up happens once every ladder reset, but in arena it happens every 3-14 games.

It would be neat if arena were somehow stratified, say maybe having a higher-stakes arena reserved for players who have hit 12 wins at least once or something. And also if there were a way to play some sort of draft format against friends.

I very much agree with this. I'm not great at Hearthstone, and it's kind of a waste to be playing high level opponents and only getting 2-3 wins per arena play. I'm better off just buying packs with my gold...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2014, 02:14:50 pm »

I very much agree with this. I'm not great at Hearthstone, and it's kind of a waste to be playing high level opponents and only getting 2-3 wins per arena play. I'm better off just buying packs with my gold...

It depends on whether you get more enjoyment from having cards or playing Arena. To me the only reason I play Hearthstone is to play Arena. So everything I do is aimed at playing Arena more. 2-3 wins per arena play actually evens out usually though. 3 wins guarantees you 50 gold, which means it's even for the run. 100 gold for a pack+50 gold which is the difference between buying a pack and entering arena. (2 wins is usually 30-45 gold which is barely a loss anyways). Over 3 wins and you're in the black gold wise. If you try to pick arena classes to match your daily quests you can also get back in the arena really quickly. I'll ditch a quest to try and match my current arena deck if it's a quest that my arena deck doesn't work towards. (0/2 Rogue or Wizard wins is useless if you're currently playing as a Shaman.) Sometimes I'll play a constructed deck if I'm a few gold off of a new arena run, but usually that's just a couple wins tops needed to go on another run.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2014, 12:27:54 pm »

Ok, have to whine.
I rock a Paladin Weenie, am going up and down around level 12 ATM.

And here and there I go against the Warlock Murlock deck. And usually they are an easier matchup - I got Consecrations and Weapons and Knife Juggler and good early "trade" minions (Protectors, Squires, Harvest Golems, heck - Hoarders). So, this game I got no 1 drop. T1, he goes Coin - Young Priestess - Young Priestess. Had no way to remove them right away so more or less now I am forced to make bad trades whole game. He draws perfectly. No Consecration. Lost turn 4.

AAArgh.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:49 am »

Perfect draws will happen. I've managed to play two Young Priestesses during turn 1 as well. That's an insane start. That's one of the things with Hearthstone. Sometimes your opponent gets lucky while you don't. You just have to forget it and que up for the next game. ;)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 06, 2014, 09:24:54 am »
+1

I know, I know, I just had to release the frustration somewhere.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 06, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

My favourite lucky start is double Innervate hands with a 5 drop (or 6 drop with a coin). Turn 1 Venture Company Merc, Boulderfist Ogre, Chillwind Yeti, or Azure Drake is pretty fun.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 06, 2014, 02:25:13 pm »
+1

Coin, Innervate, Innervate, Hogger is hilarious
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.