Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613511 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »

That one doesn't go from your hand, but Brainstorm and JTMS do, and both of those have been incredibly popular in competitive play.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=292751
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373316

OK, I'd heard of that last guy, who is apparently highly powerful... but does he not act like a regular Magic card?  What's up with the +2/+1/-12 thing?

(Obviously, I'm not even vaguely a competitive player.)

It's a planes walker. They're a recent card type (well, recent being in the past 6? Years or so).  Basically, they come into play with the nber of counters in the bottom right, and you get to use one of their abilities each turn. The +2, -12 etc are the costs in counters of the ability. They can also be attacked or damaged by spells such as lightning bolt (1 damage = remove 1 counter). If they get to 0 counters, they die.

Very, very powerful cards. All but a very few have been constructed playable. Once they are in play, they're a "free spell" each turn they live, which is a tremendous advantage over time.

So this guys gains charges by being an anti-Pearl Diver, or can be a slightly worse Courtyard each turn, and can completely destroy an opponent's deck after six turns by just removing it from the game???

Holy shit, no wonder people think this is too powerful.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

Oh, JTMS. Even when it is explained to you and you understand why he is so powerful, it fades in comparison of seeing him in action. He impacts the board so much, does everything a blue deck wants and does it good. He deals with creatures, he digs for solutions, he gives less solutions to opponent by screwing his draws, and +12 ability is the least relevant one.

Do note that draw 3 discard 2 on Brainstorm and JTMS is way more powerful that it initially seems (i.e. Ghost Ship yourself/Courtyard).  Basically what you do is you return 2 that you do not need (land or unrelated spell), and than you play a card that searches and shuffles your deck (usually a land that searches for other lands, like Misty Rainforest) and brings new cards to the top. It allows you to dig very deep in your deck for a solution, esp in combination with similar cards.

Edit: Solutions = outs, answers, whatever.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:27:21 pm by Grujah »

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »

Squadron hawk for three, brainstorm, squadron hawk for two, etc.  nightmares

Jace is just an unreal card. Apparently his +2 was supposed to be target player mills 1, but they didn't want to put milling on him so at the last minute changed it to fate sealing and didn't really test it. Ridiculous. He'd be very good with any 3 of those abilities

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »

HME made top 100 in ranked play in HS this week

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2013, 06:06:17 pm »

Woohoo HME!  What deck(s) are you playing?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2013, 09:35:43 pm »

He queues up in ranked with mage aggro. I don't think he switches to anything else. 

Mage aggro is pretty much the deck to beat right now.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »

Woohoo HME!  What deck(s) are you playing?

Thanks! I mostly play mage aggro. But also sometimes freeze mage or control priest. I find the priest the most fun. Also sometimes paladin or druid to counter freeze mage when I get frustrated by it. But invariably when I play one of those decks I don't face a freeze mage.

I do think aggro mage is the best deck out there right now. It matches up evenly with other aggro decks, but it's the only one that can also deal with freeze mage.

I still have some hope that there's a good way to make a paladin or druid that beats freeze mage and can also handle aggro. Pops plays a druid deck that seems to do pretty well.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

I got paired up against HME in ranked, so I'm at least in spitting distance of him despite the handicap of playing druid (I don't own any pyroblasts, and I don't want to craft them.  If I had even one pyroblast I probably would have caved by now.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »

Tirion is so necessary to play Paladin seriously it's ridiculous.  I played two different control paladins, both of them facelessed their own Tirion.  When you think how Tirion is nearly the only friendly faceless target in decks like that and it's still a good choice for them to run faceless to me that's a sign it's a nutty legendary.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2013, 12:43:27 am »

THing is, I've oppened 2 pyroblasts so I can play mage aggro easily, I have also oppened 1 Tyrion and all that I need for a real competetive Paladin is 2nd Swird that gives +!/+1 to your guys.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2013, 01:05:20 am »

THing is, I've oppened 2 pyroblasts so I can play mage aggro easily, I have also oppened 1 Tyrion and all that I need for a real competetive Paladin is 2nd Swird that gives +!/+1 to your guys.

At my MMR I haven't seen Sword of Justice played in forever.  It's always control paladin.  I think even if you go aggro or midrange you can probably pass on Sword of Justice.  It's not good against Frost Nova+Doomsayer, amongst other weaknesses.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2013, 03:11:15 pm »

I got my key around 3 or 4 weeks ago, you can add me as Titandrake#1456.

I'm trying to concentrate more on getting good at arena. I'm consistently hitting 4-3, in that I seem to always lose at 4-3. Seriously. One run, I go 4-0, get 2 DCs, then lose. Next run, I do the absolute worst draft ever, and still hit 4-3. Third run, I go 4-2, then DC. I've gotten 9 wins and 7wins+ a few times, so I know I can do it, just need to clean up my drafting.

I haven't been playing as much recently because I got the arena bug, so I've mostly been messing around in play mode with my budget Warlock aggro deck. I'm missing Demonfires, but I have most of the good neutrals and 2 Flame Imps, so it's still decent.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2013, 11:49:35 am »

Got an invite yesterday. I have mainly been doing Arena. I think it's pretty fun.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2013, 05:28:32 pm »

If anyone wants tips for arena they can bug me in game.  I have 500 gold right now and can't get rid of it because I keep profiting when I play arena.  So I like to think I'm decent at it.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:47 am »

Everyone who opted in to the beta before a certain date was supposed to get their key about a week ago. I signed up for an update on Nov 26th and still haven't gotten it. There was no record of me having opted in on my account, which I know is wrong. I opened a ticket about it yesterday morning but haven't heard anything yet. It's frustrating because I'm really eager to play!!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20:39 am »

It's probably the largest time sink I've experienced in a while.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2013, 08:47:09 am »

Everyone who opted in to the beta before a certain date was supposed to get their key about a week ago. I signed up for an update on Nov 26th and still haven't gotten it. There was no record of me having opted in on my account, which I know is wrong. I opened a ticket about it yesterday morning but haven't heard anything yet. It's frustrating because I'm really eager to play!!

The blues have admitted that the closed beta opt in process has been a learning experience on there part, and lots of things were done wrong.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:33 am »

This game looks really really fun after watching nkirbit play it.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2013, 01:50:50 am »

So what classes do you all prefer to play for arena?  For me, it's Shaman, not even close.  All the removal's insane, and Fire Elemental is just bonkers.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2013, 07:09:38 pm »
+2

So what classes do you all prefer to play for arena?  For me, it's Shaman, not even close.  All the removal's insane, and Fire Elemental is just bonkers.

If you're trying to maximize earnings, Paladin, Mage, and Warrior are the top three classes, and there's a big gap before any of the classes inferior to the big 3. 
Fire elemental is nuts, but relying on Rare board clear is really crippling for shaman.  You quite often get no lightning storms, and that can easily leave you with an unwinnable game before Victory Elemental can come down.  When you get the lightning storms, shaman is pretty powerful, I got a twelve win run one out of the three times I tried shaman after they added 12 win runs and the Mind Control nerf. 

Paladin, Mage, and Warrior are probably close enough that whichever of the three you have a knack for would be a good place to start practicing.  I think Paladin has the best 12 win potential because Truesilver is more stackable than Fiery War Axe.  And I would say Mage is probably the hardest one to get stuck with a really unwinnable draft: as Warrior sometimes you get offered very few weapons and you can't generate card/board advantage, so you get empty hand syndrome.  Mage always has card/board advantage available, even in a 30 Wisp deck. 

I would seriousface recommend against allocating lots of arena practice to a class that's not in the Big 3.  Doing better with the other classes is probably a symptom of higher variance making 7 win runs easier with a beginner skillset, or just sample size or an overall general approach that works for that class.  Before the mind control nerf there would be swarms of Priests in the 1-3 win range that only knew how to win if they were able to draft mind controls, and they would never make it to the 7-9 win range, which is mostly populated with big 3 classes.  I suspect they stunted their own growth that way.

The funnest way to play arena might be in the other six, but building up a card collection can be so critical for enjoying Play Mode.  Save the bottom six for after you've mastered the top 3 so well that you have 1000 gold and most cards unlocked.

I have most of the cards, but there are still some I want.. kinda.  I have most of what I need.  When I'm in the mood to get some cards, I play the big 3, preferring Pally the most out of the big 3, that's my favorite.  When I have so much gold I want to lose some I like to play Warlock.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

Out of all the classes I enjoy Rogue the most. I'm mostly picking Paladin, Druid or Mage, since those are the ones I tend to do best with, and I want the gold to be able to play more without paying. I have yet to make it to 12 wins with any class, and I've yet to pick Hunter. My record is 9 wins with a stupid Warlock deck with no cards costing more than 4. When I left home I paused at 3-0 with a similar deck.

I haven't had much sucess with Warrior yet. I think I've picked him one time, but drafted really poorly and ended up with a lucky 4-3.

I'm happy if I make it to 6 wins. But 7+ is what I'm really gunning for. And one day I hope I'll get to the 12 wins.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »
+1

Warrior is probably the most difficult of the big three to play right, overall.  The Warrior hero power does not impact board control or card count, unlike every power besides Hunter.  That makes a responsible curve much more important.  It's much more important to make sure you have turn 2 plays and turn 3 plays because hero power can't fill in if you have a bad hand.  Sometimes mage snatches up some fun Fireballs and Water Elementals and ends up with a wonky curve, but they can fire blast a Raptor on turn 2 and turn 3 and get good value that way.  Warrior can't do that.

Warrior also will be weaker in topdeck mode, because hero powers get activated every turn then, and the Warrior won't be impacting board that way, other classes will.  So to stay out of topdeck mode, you have to make sure to get high cost cards too (or sources of draw)

It's still a good class because Flame Axe is the best card in Hearthstone, and common.  Arcanite Reaper is a very solid card that always two for one's.  gotta go
;

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »

I always try to get good 2/3 drops. It's my second highest priority. Weapons are higher. Most of the times I lose, it's because I forget to not play into AoE, running into an early weapon or not having enough late game stuff. I'm trying to get better at AoE dodging and late game drafting since it's the things that I think are currently holding me back the most.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2013, 06:39:48 pm »

It can be equally important to occasionally not play around AoE, just because you can't afford to.  Sometimes you have to play to your outs, and say, "If he has another Flamestrike, the game is over whether or not I dump these two Amanis and Defender of Argus, so I might as well do it."  You can also figure out patterns that give away that your opponent has a board clear in hand, or that he doesn't.  Poking things down to 4 health is a dead giveaway, but there's more subtle signs that someone wants you to dump your hand so they can wipe, like not attacking with Jungle Panther.

Weapons are a great way to spend mana to enhance your board position without overextending into board clear. 

Getting good 2-3 drops probably shouldn't be that high on your priority list.  It's important to have 2-3 drops, it's not really important that they be good.  The "standard deviation", if that's the right term, is much higher for the higher mana costs than the lower ones.  Six mana has literally only one good neutral basic, Ogre.  The others range from really bad to painful.  If you pass up a chance to take an Ogre, you're going to be stuck with Windfury Harpy instead and that's a huge quality drop. (Actually it's such a quality drop that you should probably skip the Harpy).  If you pass up a chance to take Amani Beserker, you might have to take River Crocolisk instead, and that's really not that bad.  Sometimes you just snatch up your 2-3 drops in the least 8 picks because you were getting your powerful class cards earlier, and that's fine. 

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2013, 09:57:16 am »

The reason behind my drafting lies in me not wanting to get bad draws early, because that's when I think the advantage/disadvantage is at it's largest. If your opponent coins out a 3/2 and you've got nothing for your own turn 2, you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Big time. Later on, you can 2 for 1 and still have a chance. What you can't do is 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I'll most likely pick a Boulderfist Ogre or a Stormwind Champion over most 2-3's, but getting a reasonable amount of 2-3's is my main goal after weapons. Actually after weapons or other easy 1 for 2+'s.

Basically I prefer a consistantly strong early game over a long term game plan. I'm guessing it might not be the best way to do arena, since I have yet to get past 9 wins, but I usually land around 6 or 7.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.