Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613394 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2013, 08:06:24 am »

People are freaking out cause mage indeed is quite strong, and in this weekend's Managrind it took first 4 places in both EU and NA tourneys.

Argent Commander was soooo good. Like, every deck had to play it. 4/2 is a nerf, not a big one, though. He's still 2-for-one, except you can sac 2/1 into him now. Still very strong, priest still cant shadowword him.

Similar goes for IMP, he was quite good, he is still good but 3 damage does hurt more, so it's a good thing. People will still have to make loads of adjusment with Warlock Aggro in mind, and he'll just have to play a bit more safetly.

SSC nerf makes me sad, that is my fav card in the game.

Unleash the hound wasn't THAT good, but I guess people complained enough and comming out from no creatures on board to 30 damage in 1 turn really pissed people off and turned new people away from the game so it had to be done. I expected a nerf, like, they get +1/+0 if they have charge, charge if they don't. New one is interesting but needs testing. Synergizes awesomly with lots of hunter cards (Hyena, Buzzard).

Mindcontrol nerf underseved imo. It only dominates Arena, it just needs to show up less in Arena.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:56 am »

People are freaking out cause mage indeed is quite strong, and in this weekend's Managrind it took first 4 places in both EU and NA tourneys.
I think the big thing is that this week, someone figured out that if you add giants to the freeze mage, you no longer get beat by healing, so between the freeze deck and a regular Mage aggro deck, you can cover all your bases. The Managrind format allows you to sideboard a whole deck, which really gives this style of having 2 decks with one character powerful. But nonetheless, Mage is still really strong. And now everyone is running this freeze + giants deck on ladder which is really annoying to play against, particularly because it drags the game out with turns in which you can't do anything.

Argent Commander was soooo good. Like, every deck had to play it. 4/2 is a nerf, not a big one, though. He's still 2-for-one, except you can sac 2/1 into him now. Still very strong, priest still cant shadowword him.
Still probably a must-have in almost any deck. A little harder to play though, since you have to make sure the little guys are all dead or you lose the body. This and the Cleric nerf make Harvest Golem even stronger that it already was.

Similar goes for IMP, he was quite good, he is still good but 3 damage does hurt more, so it's a good thing. People will still have to make loads of adjusmtent with Warlock Aggro in mind, and he'll just have to play a bit more safetly.
I was hoping to see some sort of change like this. The way penalties are done for the Warlock demons is really weird. Flame Imp, Succubus, Fel Guard, and Pit Lord are all undercosted by 1 mana and have a penalty to offset this, but for some reason, the bigger ones have a bigger penalty. 1 mana is a bigger deal for a 1-drop than a 5-drop, so having a 2 health penalty vs a 5 health penalty doesn't really make sense. If anything, Flame Imp needs a bigger penalty than Pit Lord.

SSC nerf makes me sad, that is my fav card in the game.
This didn't seem as broken strong as Argent Commander, but it was still in practically every deck, so I guess they figured they should give some other stuff a chance. The nerf is about as innocuous as you could get, since in a vacuum it still trades evenly with most other 3s (only exceptions are Scarlet Crusader and now Harvest Golem and Razorfen Hunter), but it does help AoE deal with these aggro decks better.

Unleash the hound wasn't THAT good, but I guess people complained enough and comming out from no creatures on board to 30 damage in 1 turn really pissed people off and turned new people away from the game so it had to be done. I expected a nerf, like, they get +1/+0 if they have charge, charge if they don't. New one is interesting but needs testing. Synergizes awesomly with lots of hunter cards (Hyena, Buzzard).

Mindcontrol nerf underseved imo. It only dominates Arena, it just needs to show up less in Arena.

UTH and Mind Control were that good in the way they affected deck building. I think more than aggro decks, these decks made it really hard to play slow control decks. Because if you were too slow, there would at some point be a chance to get killed by UTH, or when you finally got out your Rag/Ysera, they would get MC'd. They just generally made you not want to have big minions in your deck, because the risk/reward wasn't in the right place. But with these nerfs, I think it's easier to build a deck based on swatting away aggression for the first few turns and then playing big guys bigger than 6-drops. Mind Control only seemed powerful in Arena because it's harder to build a strong deck without big guys in Arena.

The problem, of course, is that with the OTK Hunter out of the picture, there's one less thing that beats freeze mage, which means more people are going to be playing it...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2013, 11:58:06 am »

I thought Ice block wrecked all OTKs

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:50 pm »

I thought Ice block wrecked all OTKs
Not with Flare.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

They still have flare.. but I guess the class might not have any viability at all, now, so it doesn't matter.

I agree Mind Control needed to be nerfed so that playing big guys can make at least a little sense, but I hate that the way they nerfed it means the nerf has the least impact on control mirrors and the most impact at priest v aggro, which priest was already having a hard time with.  Mind control's impact against Ancient of War through Deathwing didn't change nearly as much as its impact on Argent Commander, which was a healthy steal that gave Priest a fighting chance against aggro (sort of)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »

I guess I have to try to build some sort of Hunter deck with King Krush and Tundra Rhino...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

Tundra Rhino tends to underwhelm me.  I think just a midrange goodstuff deck could work.  Buzzard, Companion, Ironfur, Dragonhawk, Houndmaster, Savannah Highmane.  King Krush works fine as a jank pyroblast finisher. 

I stubbornly still think Dragonhawk is an underrated card.  It's bad against the removal classes, for sure, but you can cantrip it on a Buzzard instead of trying to do anything with it, and you can also use it just before a board clear to make sure you force the board clear.  Like, say it's about to be a druid's turn 4 and you have nothing but a Leokk in play.  You can drop Young Dragonhawk+hero power to force the druid to Swipe rather than Bite, helping you deplete the Druid's AoEs.  If he bites anyway, Houndmaster, Timber Wolf, Dire wolf, and that epic beast lunge all deal a harsh punishment for ignoring the threat.  That's something most one drops can't do, if someone drops baby boar or leper gnome it's like, whatever, 2 damage, I'll let you die from splash when I AoE later.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 03:17:28 pm »

Also.  Tinkmaster Overspark hitting Novice Engineer needs to become a thing.  Why is it not a thing?

And speaking of legendaries, some assumed balance changes from the next patch is that Alexstraza will stop stripping armor and Nat Pagle will start working correctly, which might be enough to make Nat Pagle a thing.  I doubt the Alexstraza change will make much difference. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 05:17:34 pm »

The patch notes don't say anything about nat pagle getting fixed :(

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 05:55:37 pm »

The patch is very disappointing in terms of bug fixes. I don't think they fixed anything other than Alextrasza. Minions still shift around. Panda'd cards still hover over the board. And they even added a new bug where things that give +1 health (Cleric, Blood Imp, Champ) heal 1 life in addition to the 1 they add to max.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »

I played a little bit. I liked it, but since I mostly just like drafting I unfortunately just want to play expensive mode/Arena. That's what I think the game should be all the time. The other collecting/building bits are fun, but only drafting seems to really scratch my card gaming itch.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2013, 09:57:42 pm »

Has anyone been having bug issues since the patch?  I just downloaded it, played one game, and it was completely buggy.  Multiple cards in my hand were unselectable, my opponents creatures were stacking in odd ways, images of cards were left on the screen, etc. 

http://imgur.com/r0QVR0S,nSt3gvk#1 is one screenshot I got from the game.  Really would've liked to be able to cast Tirion that game.. making a 1/1 as your only action turn 8 with Tirion in hand seemed less than ideal :(

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

Some new bugs are getting reported on the forums.  It would seem they created more bugs than they fixed.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2013, 04:59:41 am »

UTH and Mind Control were that good in the way they affected deck building. I think more than aggro decks, these decks made it really hard to play slow control decks. Because if you were too slow, there would at some point be a chance to get killed by UTH, or when you finally got out your Rag/Ysera, they would get MC'd. They just generally made you not want to have big minions in your deck, because the risk/reward wasn't in the right place. But with these nerfs, I think it's easier to build a deck based on swatting away aggression for the first few turns and then playing big guys bigger than 6-drops. Mind Control only seemed powerful in Arena because it's harder to build a strong deck without big guys in Arena.

The problem, of course, is that with the OTK Hunter out of the picture, there's one less thing that beats freeze mage, which means more people are going to be playing it...

You are right here, MC forced played Yeti and Drarves as your beaters even in control, as you'd have to be 100% sure that he used both power world deaths AND MCs before putting down a Rag or similar. Which was very annoying. Still how does this changes things exactly? They can still steal Ysera/Rag, but Priests are less likely to run 2xMCs, cuz they suck against anything other than control?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2013, 11:29:50 am »

So my third loss in Arena...

Opponent Priest plays Lightspawn.  Then two (!) Shields.  That minion is crazy; all he had to do was keep it healed and I never stood a chance!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36:23 pm »

I was playing Arena, going 0-0, when this happened:

Lolz.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »

This might be a silly question, but how do I get new quests?  I click on the quest (!) icon on the main page, and there's nothing there.  It just says, "You have no quests, come back tomorrow."  Got that both yesterday and today.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:49 pm »

This might be a silly question, but how do I get new quests?  I click on the quest (!) icon on the main page, and there's nothing there.  It just says, "You have no quests, come back tomorrow."  Got that both yesterday and today.

I thought they just refreshed over time, 1 assigned a day. Were you playing yesterday after midnight? That might be why you didn't seem to get a new one after you finished your quests.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:21 am »

Yes, sometimes you topdeck it, but most of the times you don't.

OK, I've now seen this term in several places.  Top-deck obviously can't mean the same thing in CCGs that it does in Dominion, right?  I can't think of CCG cards that put cards from your hand onto your deck.

What does top-deck mean in a CCG context?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2013, 11:10:54 am »

Topdecking means drawing just what you need from the top of the library. It is often used as a derogatory term.
Topdeck mode is when you have no hand and play just the cards that you draw that turn.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2013, 11:38:17 am »

They show up every 24 hours, but not necessarily at midnight. It's around 5pm PST for me. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone or has something to do with when you first installed or launched the game or something.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

~3AM-3:30AM CET for me.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

Yes, sometimes you topdeck it, but most of the times you don't.

OK, I've now seen this term in several places.  Top-deck obviously can't mean the same thing in CCGs that it does in Dominion, right?  I can't think of CCG cards that put cards from your hand onto your deck.

What does top-deck mean in a CCG context?

Grujah clarified.  Topdecking is a huge source of illusory superiority issues with players (didn't we have a fancy term for that around here? I can't remember it), because lots of control decks are designed to get stuck in topdeck mode and then have great topdecks, while others are supposed to rarely get caught in that state and have very few helpful topdecks.

There actually are a LOT of CCG cards that put cards from your hand onto your deck.  Donald X actually referred to a CCG card in his notes when he was writing ideas for cards like courtyard, he called it ebbing, after Time Ebb.  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=time+ebb

That one doesn't go from your hand, but Brainstorm and JTMS do, and both of those have been incredibly popular in competitive play.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=292751
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373316

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2013, 03:40:21 pm »

That one doesn't go from your hand, but Brainstorm and JTMS do, and both of those have been incredibly popular in competitive play.

OK, I'd heard of that last guy, who is apparently highly powerful... but does he not act like a regular Magic card?  What's up with the +2/+1/-12 thing?

(Obviously, I'm not even vaguely a competitive player.)

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2013, 03:56:54 pm »

OK, I'd heard of that last guy, who is apparently highly powerful... but does he not act like a regular Magic card?  What's up with the +2/+1/-12 thing?

(Obviously, I'm not even vaguely a competitive player.)

It's a planes walker. They're a recent card type (well, recent being in the past 6? Years or so).  Basically, they come into play with the nber of counters in the bottom right, and you get to use one of their abilities each turn. The +2, -12 etc are the costs in counters of the ability. They can also be attacked or damaged by spells such as lightning bolt (1 damage = remove 1 counter). If they get to 0 counters, they die.

Very, very powerful cards. All but a very few have been constructed playable. Once they are in play, they're a "free spell" each turn they live, which is a tremendous advantage over time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.