Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 119  All

Author Topic: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?  (Read 613408 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone learned Hearthstone yet?
« Reply #2150 on: April 22, 2015, 01:40:05 pm »

So a byte can represent up to 256 actions. How many possible actions can you take?
10 cards x 16 targets + (7 minions + hero) x 8 targets + hero power + 6 emotes + end turn + concede = 233. It could be represented in 1 byte. Even if they represent this inefficiently, its at most 2-4 bytes per action (some packet headers). And how many actions do you take in a game? Like 50 at most? I can't imagine a game should take much more than a kB.
Is windfury relevant for these calculations?

The 50 actions thing is totally ballpark. If you repeatedly attack with flying machines and they keep healing it off, and you say "well played" every time, sure you can get way more actions...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: April 22, 2015, 01:51:56 pm »

I'd say the biggest usage of data is probably keeping track of where someone's attention is focused. Mouse movement gets sent to opponents (at least partially, it never seems to be completely accurate and up to speed, but it gives a good ballpark) but even that is basically just an X coordinate and a Y coordinate and neither of those numbers could be greater than 4 digits on the average screen.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: April 22, 2015, 02:41:55 pm »
+1

So a byte can represent up to 256 actions. How many possible actions can you take?
10 cards x 16 targets + (7 minions + hero) x 8 targets + hero power + 6 emotes + end turn + concede = 233. It could be represented in 1 byte. Even if they represent this inefficiently, its at most 2-4 bytes per action (some packet headers). And how many actions do you take in a game? Like 50 at most? I can't imagine a game should take much more than a kB.
I'm not so sure... This leaves out stuff like authentication, other security measures (e.g. timestamps), error correction, overhead from the phone network itself, etc. It also only accounts for data that your phone sends to the servers, and doesn't count non-action-related data that you receive from the server, including stuff like RNG results and the contents of your opponent's deck.

To be fair, I am not an expert when it comes to network protocols for multiplayer gameplay, so maybe there are clever ways to get around these restrictions. But I wouldn't be surprised if the average game used considerably more than 1 kB of your data plan.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 22, 2015, 03:50:33 pm »

I'd say the biggest usage of data is probably keeping track of where someone's attention is focused. Mouse movement gets sent to opponents (at least partially, it never seems to be completely accurate and up to speed, but it gives a good ballpark) but even that is basically just an X coordinate and a Y coordinate and neither of those numbers could be greater than 4 digits on the average screen.

While one can use a mouse on a phone i don't know people who actually do it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: April 22, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »

I suppose there are constant "I'm still here" checks that are unrelated to moves, and maybe they even send taps that are not moves. But I don't think they send mouse position even on the regular client, just hover info, which is much more discrete in nature (there are 18 things you can hover over). I didn't think RNG was done on the server, but maybe it is. In the initialization, both clients should just be given a RNG seed so that all computation can be done on the local devices. Maybe they don't do that because someone could sniff packets and then abuse knowledge of the RNG mechanism?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 22, 2015, 04:13:17 pm »

I suppose there are constant "I'm still here" checks that are unrelated to moves, and maybe they even send taps that are not moves. But I don't think they send mouse position even on the regular client, just hover info, which is much more discrete in nature (there are 18 things you can hover over). I didn't think RNG was done on the server, but maybe it is. In the initialization, both clients should just be given a RNG seed so that all computation can be done on the local devices. Maybe they don't do that because someone could sniff packets and then abuse knowledge of the RNG mechanism?
Yeah I sure hope they don't trust people's knowledge of their own RNG results.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

On the desktop client at least, when there's lag, it affects you even within your turn, so there's a lag before you can take your next action after you do something. For this reason, I think that ALL actions (including those that don't involve RNG) make a round trip to the server.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 03, 2015, 08:27:27 am »

I skipped my turn 2 in arena earlier today.  Known bug, or some ridiculous misclick on my end?

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 04, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

Why is everybody is low rank constructed trying so hard?  I only want to get Malygos Combo Priest to work one time.

I bought some packs to round out my classic commons and make a dent in the rares.  The best that can be said for my other legendaries is that one of the Millhouses was golden.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 04, 2015, 02:07:25 pm »
+1

Why is everybody is low rank constructed trying so hard?  I only want to get Malygos Combo Priest to work one time.

I bought some packs to round out my classic commons and make a dent in the rares.  The best that can be said for my other legendaries is that one of the Millhouses was golden.

I find that even when I want to run a silly combo like that I have to assume that people will have some sort of removal, and have a backup plan. I'd recommend putting in either that Priest legendary that doubles the power of all your spells or adding Echoing Ooze + Velen's Chosen so you still have lots of spell damage from other source.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: May 04, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

I find that even when I want to run a silly combo like that I have to assume that people will have some sort of removal, and have a backup plan. I'd recommend putting in either that Priest legendary that doubles the power of all your spells or adding Echoing Ooze + Velen's Chosen so you still have lots of spell damage from other source.

I actually have Velen, so he is in there.  Echoing Ooze is a good suggestion, thanks!

EDIT: Scratched this itch by switching to Druid.  Had perfect draws against a control Warrior, playing back to back Wild Growth on T2/3.  They couldn't push through Belchers and Ancient of War so nothing much happened until Grommash hit the board.  That died to Malygos Moonfire, at which point they had an "oh no" moment and dropped their hand into +5 Swipe.  Very satisfying.

E2: In case people haven't seen this.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:05:30 pm by qmech »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 10, 2015, 09:44:27 pm »
+2

Golden warlock. Hopefully only the first golden hero of nine.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »

I've cleared out my goldens and have 3200 dust.  Anybody want to persuade me not to craft Dr Boom?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2163 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:44 pm »
+1

I've cleared out my goldens and have 3200 dust.  Anybody want to persuade me not to craft Dr Boom?

No.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 11, 2015, 05:43:32 pm »

No.

Confess: you are only saying so because you don't play on the same server, right?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:30 pm »
+1

Only craft Boom if you already have Elite Tauren Warrior.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:31 pm »
+3

Only craft Boom if you already have Elite Tauren Warrior.
I'm not really sure why I bothered making this:

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:27 pm »

It's Chieftain, isn't it.  My bad.

Tauren Warrior is that awesome enraging taunt that everyone plays all the time in every deck, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:39 pm »

It's Chieftain, isn't it.  My bad.

Tauren Warrior is that awesome enraging taunt that everyone plays all the time in every deck, right?
Yep. You can tell it's good because it's equal to Amani Berserker (2) + Rusty Horn (1), so it's mana efficient in one fewer card!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 12, 2015, 09:53:08 am »

Hey guys, remember when Leeroy costed 4 mana and Leeroy+Power Overwhelming+Faceless was a thing in Handlock? It's scary that Thaurissan makes it so that combos can't be restricted by mana cost alone.

That particular combo seems too greedy to see use, but all sorts of Malygos shenanigans are possible now. Dang freeze mages with their Malygos->Frostbolt->Ice Lance combos.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:54:39 am by markusin »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 17, 2015, 12:24:22 am »

Innervate was already around messing with the whole "restricted by mana cost alone." business.  Force Innervate Roar Roar has always been ridiculous.

But yeah thaurissan is making that stuff more prevalent.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 04, 2015, 01:26:20 pm »
+1

They're adding new hero portraits for $10:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:27:39 pm by Watno »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 04, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »

Money only or in game gold too? I assume only real money.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 04, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/911-new-heroes-are-coming-magni-bronzebeard-confirmed

I think it's just for real money, but they're just cosmetic so who cares I guess?

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 09, 2015, 11:58:59 pm »

There was a hearthstone commercial during tonight's NBA finals game -- did not expect to see that, but pretty neat!

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 119  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.