Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another trashpicking card (not playtested)  (Read 1502 times)

natey

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Another trashpicking card (not playtested)
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:17:42 pm »

Everyone likes the idea of buying cards from the trash, but often there's nothing there but, well, trash.  I wonder if a mechanic like this could work:

Junkyard ($5) Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action

Set a card aside, +$ equal to its cost, cards set aside in this way are placed on the junkyard mat [which is shared] at the end of the turn
________

When your opponent trashes or sets aside a card, you may reveal this and set it aside.  During your next turn, restore it to your hand, +1 buy, and you may buy cards from the junkyard mat.
While this is in play, cards on the junkyard mat cost $2 less, but not less than $0.

The idea is that you can trash stuff for money, but the stuff you threw out is up for grabs at a discount.  The reaction is kind of a tortured way of preventing someone from quickly trashing and rebuying his or her own cards.

I put +1 Card +1 Action to make it better than Salvager.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:21:03 pm by natey »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Another trashpicking card (not playtested)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

When your opponent...
This needs to be rephrased: it is not well-defined for a game with more than two players.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

natey

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:24 pm »

Some of the wording is not ready for prime time. It would have to read "When another player..."

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:20:18 pm »

This could be evil and swingy in a Possession game. "Why yes, I will put your Colonies on the junkyard mat and then buy them at a discount with my own revealed Junkyards."
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

natey

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:34 am »

I'll get some of my friends to try this card with me.  I'm not sure whether that would be a strategy or too evil.  It would still require some effort to get that to work, since the Colony would cost $9 after one copy of Junkyard.  It might be a problem that you can 'junk' a card and then buy from the junkyard mat (two copies of junkyard in play) at a $4 discount.  I was wondering whether it would be too clunky to put the discount only on the second option.  Anyway masquerade, ambassador, and island are all potential nightmares to have if the person to your right has a possession, so that sets the bar pretty low. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.