Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko-log-watching-extreme?  (Read 5376 times)

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
Goko-log-watching-extreme?
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »

What do you think about people which analyse the goko-log extremly while playing?

I think we can't forbit it (because it's possible like taking notes), but we can make something like a code of honour about it. In fact it is the same discussion as taking notes on isotropic.
In my oppinion isotropic had an intelligent system. You can see the last 1,5 turns. The rest you have to remember just like in real life. But it is better to see, what the opponent has done, when your afk for a short time or so. And I'd like, if Dominion online would be as much as possible like real life Dominion. So I only look the last few turns.
Otherwise the game could take so long, because everyone wants to play the perfect game and combs through the whole log, e.g. to know what the last card is in your draw pile, after playing a Wishing Well. That would be no fun. And I don't like it to count the points just before the end of game, because it wouldn't be possible in real life.

Is there a such "code of honour" yet, or what do you think about it?
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Goko-log-watching-extreme?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »
+1

I'm one of those people who analyze the log while playing, and obviously I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as you're not spending an unreasonable amount of time doing it - I don't care if you're spending 4 minutes carefully pondering your next move or reading the log, I'm annoyed anyway, and as long as I'm playing a challenging game, I don't care if the game is challenging because my opponent is just so good or because he takes a quick look at the log every now and then, I'm entertained anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:02:30 pm »
+2

Put a time limit per turn and give some excess time budget for occasional hard decisions.  Make time a resource to be managed.  The problem is not that your opponent is looking at the log, it's that they are playing slowly.

Real life Dominion sucks compared to a well implemented online version, IMNHSO.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:11:00 pm »

As long as the log is there and both players can see it, I'm gonna use it.  I try not to spend too much time reading it, but sometimes I really need to remember how many Minions I bought or when the last time I reshuffled was.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »

Put a time limit per turn and give some excess time budget for occasional hard decisions.  Make time a resource to be managed.  The problem is not that your opponent is looking at the log, it's that they are playing slowly.

Real life Dominion sucks compared to a well implemented online version, IMNHSO.

I don't think that works. You can look up some important things extremely quickly in the log, and how long you need to think depends hugely on the kingdom.
A time limit won't fix this problem, and it would make playing the game quite unfun.

Until Goko makes the older parts of the log unavailable, I think nothing can be done.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »

You need to get the time limit right, certainly.  I am a bit skeptical that the time depends that much on kingdom.  Sure, sometimes it might force you to make a poorly considered move, but on the other hand, it guarantees your opponent will be making steady progress during his turn.

Of course, I'd love to see it implemented and failing first before seeing it face the tons of hypothetical corner casing that our form so dearly loves to provide.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:10:58 pm »

In my oppinion isotropic had an intelligent system. You can see the last 1,5 turns. The rest you have to remember just like in real life.

I thought that you could scroll up through the previous turns on isotropic.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »

You need to get the time limit right, certainly.  I am a bit skeptical that the time depends that much on kingdom.  Sure, sometimes it might force you to make a poorly considered move, but on the other hand, it guarantees your opponent will be making steady progress during his turn.

Of course, I'd love to see it implemented and failing first before seeing it face the tons of hypothetical corner casing that our form so dearly loves to provide.

Would you advocate a time limit per turn, or more like the system used for Chess where each player has a bank of time for their whole game?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »

Would you advocate a time limit per turn, or more like the system used for Chess where each player has a bank of time for their whole game?

I think he's advocating a system like Tenhou where you have a time limit per turn and a bank of extra time for the whole game.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:04 am »
+2

Dominion would need time per card played too. Otherwise complex strategies would be enormously penalized.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:18 am »

My solution: refuse to play on Goko until they fix that broken system that encourages cheating during the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:41:26 am »

My solution: refuse to play on Goko until they fix that broken system that encourages cheating during the game.
I don't think that this is cheating! I only don't like it because sometimes my opponent takes such a long time, cause of watching the log and because it isn't possible in reallife.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:51:15 am »
+1

How big is this problem, really? In my experience everyone who's really really slow is also really really bad, so I kinda doubt they're spending an inordinate amount of time studying the log.

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:43 am »

How big is this problem, really? In my experience everyone who's really really slow is also really really bad, so I kinda doubt they're spending an inordinate amount of time studying the log.
I had this several times yet, against people with a rating of 5.000 or so. And this is really no fun.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:19 am »
+3

Since I'm pretty sure Goko isn't aware that this is a problem, I posted a suggestion to getsatisfaction.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:08:31 am »
+1

How about this alternative -- provide players with inferrable information? If its possible for me to figure out exactly what my last card in my deck is, because I've seen every other card, just tell me what the card is and then I won't have to spend the time figuring it out?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:51 am »
+1

How about this alternative -- provide players with inferrable information? If its possible for me to figure out exactly what my last card in my deck is, because I've seen every other card, just tell me what the card is and then I won't have to spend the time figuring it out?

How far will you take that?  If I really wanted, I could keep track of the exact composition of my deck and infer the chance of the next card being X.  That of course gets easier as I draw through the deck.  Should Goko also provide a count of all cards you have?  The iso point counter extension actually offered that functionality and it was extremely controversial.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:29 pm »

I agree with you but even tracking deck contents is extremely controversial, and tracking draw deck contents would be even more.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »

I agree with you but even tracking deck contents is extremely controversial, and tracking draw deck contents would be even more.

I think that was the point.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.