Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's your strategy with this set?  (Read 3408 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
What's your strategy with this set?
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:54 am »

Bazaar, Conspirator, Crossroads, Grand Market, Haggler, Hoard, Mint, Pirate Ship, Possession, Potion, and Stash

If it helps, you open 4/3, and your opponent starts with Pirate Ship.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: What's your strategy with this set?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:55:56 am »
+1

Isn't this one of the worst pirate ship kingdoms you could invent?

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:56:50 am »

No, it doesn't help.

I would strictly ignore Pirate Ship here, basically because there are so many great sources of +$ available, and Pirate Ship will mostly help your opponent.

I would probably start wirth Conspirator/Crossroads, get a Haggler soon, try to trash as many coppers as possible with a Mint buy, and then load up on Bazaars, Conspirators, Grand Markets and supporting Crossroads. If the occasion occures (which is quite likely) I'd grap a Potion on the way and get a Possession - especially if my opponent is going for it.

Possibly plain BM is faster here (due to Hoard and Stash basically), but the other approach is definately more fun.

Toskk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:03:53 pm »

The only concern I have with the opponent opening Pirate Ship here is it greatly reduces the incentive to Mint out all my Copper. A treasure-trimmed deck is a great target for Pirate Ship, unless of course I can get enough +$ chaining actions to be able to ignore treasure.. and there are plenty. But I don't really want my opponent grabbing Mint either.. so I can either pick up a Pirate Ship myself, or hope on a faster buildup and just outpacing them.

As for Conspirator / Crossroads, that particular opening isn't quick at all.. here's how it rates in this morning on Councilroom.com:

Conspirator / Crossroads: -0.243 ± 3.741 (not enough available game data yet to reduce the deviation on this one)

By comparison, Pirate Ship / Silver rates in at -1.676 ± 0.912, and Silver / Silver rates in at 0.378 ± 0.908.

So I hate to be boring, but I'm pretty sure I'd open Silver / Silver, gunning for +$ chaining actions. Grand Markets should let you pick up a Crossroads or two for late-game deck cycling, too.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

Open Conspirator/Silver, buy GM>Bazaar>Conspirator>Crossroads in that order of priority, and thank your opponent for the free Copper trashing.  Maybe pick up a Haggler early as well, I dunno; Mint probably isn't necessary but if the perfect situation arises to junk lots of Coppers after you have some money Actions, then why not.  I personally wouldn't bother going out of my way for Possession, but maybe that's a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:11:00 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »

The simplest strategy is Silver/Conspirator.  Grab a Haggler on the first shuffle, then start picking up the components (Grand Market, Bazaar, and Conspirator).  Possibly grab a second Haggler if the deck feels like it's reaching a good critical mass each turn.  Grab a Crossroads with the first spare 2$/buy from a Grand Market, and make decisions based on how your deck's green, action, and money density is.

There's also a Stash/Crossroads strategy which is going for the goal of getting four Stashes and using Crossroads to rapidly cycle through the deck.  Which is probably terrible but sounds like fun.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:15:42 pm by Copernicus »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »

Maybe pick up a Haggler early as well, I dunno;
MAYBE pick up a Haggler? I'm pretty sure I'd like a free Conspirator when I buy a Bazaar.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »

Maybe pick up a Haggler early as well, I dunno;
MAYBE pick up a Haggler? I'm pretty sure I'd like a free Conspirator when I buy a Bazaar.
How about a free Bazaar with your GM?

While building your engine you will regularly overshoot your main target (GM) by a small margin ($7 to $9) in which case you don't want another cheap card, but having Haggler you can easily grab GM + Bazaar in these instances, accelerating your deck even more.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »

Or a free Grand Market with your province. Oh wait, I did that earlier today.
Has anyone else noticed that Haggler is one of the sneaky power cards of the set?

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »

Yes, Haggler is really cool. I mean why should one think, that Haggler isnt?  8)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »

I always tend to worry that Haggler will force me to get low-cost cards that I don't want. Do you find it's still good if there are no good cheap cards? If there aren't any, is there a best time to buy it to ensure you're going to have it with plenty of other money?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:04:59 pm »

My experience with Haggler has actually been that it's skippable more often than you think.  Though, yeah, y'all are right it should be stellar in this particular setup.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:28 am »

There's also a Stash/Crossroads strategy which is going for the goal of getting four Stashes and using Crossroads to rapidly cycle through the deck.  Which is probably terrible but sounds like fun.

i tried out a few variants of that and didn't seem to have much luck with it.  i even tried throwing in an early mint to clean up some copper but i don't think it could keep up with the other ideas.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 09:48:15 am »

I find for Haggler it's important to have a good 2 OR a good 4, not necessarily both.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.