Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Card artwork  (Read 25727 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Card artwork
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 03:07:04 am »
+1

Edit:Poster text is english.

Nobodsp likes Schout?

Do you have inserted Χρυσή Αυγή symbolism?

Very nice, but the fortress you deleted was part of the experience to me.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 03:20:19 am »
+2

I think it's just one person.  The man in the background is holding a lantern slightly behind himself, and the shadow in the foreground appears to be his shadow.  You can tell from the shadows along the wooden supports that the lightsource is from the back, rather than from the foreground.

Then why does the shadow have two visible hands, when one of them would have to be behind him/invisible and one above his hand, with a latern's shadow? It also doesn't seem to work out for the light to go that way, and the pile and beam in the middle have no shadow in that direction, either. Nosferatu creeping in the mines is much more plausible :P

There are twelve people in this picture.  Eleven of them are time-shifted by a second or two in either direction, and one of those people in casting the "extra" shadow.

Seriously, though.  Vashta Narada.  In the shadows.  Stay out of the damned shadows or you're gonna have a bad time.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:58 am »
+2

I think it's just one person.  The man in the background is holding a lantern slightly behind himself, and the shadow in the foreground appears to be his shadow.  You can tell from the shadows along the wooden supports that the lightsource is from the back, rather than from the foreground.

Then why does the shadow have two visible hands, when one of them would have to be behind him/invisible and one above his hand, with a latern's shadow? It also doesn't seem to work out for the light to go that way, and the pile and beam in the middle have no shadow in that direction, either. Nosferatu creeping in the mines is much more plausible :P

There are twelve people in this picture.  Eleven of them are time-shifted by a second or two in either direction, and one of those people in casting the "extra" shadow.

Seriously, though.  Vashta Narada.  In the shadows.  Stay out of the damned shadows or you're gonna have a bad time.

Another theory: The shadow below his chest is in fact not a hand, but an alien bursting from his stomach!

But transliterated into Greek, presumably using the Symbol font. So a bit jarring for anyone who can recognise the difference between Greek and Cyrillic letters, and were expecting the latter.

Nobodsp likes Schout?

Do you have inserted Χρυσή Αυγή symbolism?

Very nice, but the fortress you deleted was part of the experience to me.

I didn't seem to have a cyrillic font and know neither cyrillic nor greek letters too well. The poster wasn't aimed at anything specific, though. More like a mashup of images and colors left from history class to give a certain impression.

And sorry about the Fortress comrade, but trashing it was a necessary step to get it in our great leader's hands...

Edit: And yes, ipofanes, that's what the text wants to say.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:05:11 pm by Asper »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 07:24:35 am »

I assumed it was a commentary on Greek fascism.  I associate Cyrillic most strongly with Russian, which in turn has a stronger historical association with communism.
Well you *do* need a signature...

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 07:38:24 am »

Nice!

The base cards aren't there, neither the traditional nor those from Base Cards (at least not with names I could guess). There is a picture platinum.jpg, but that one is empty, and a province.jpg, but that is actually Gardens again!

But otherwise all cards are there, and also this for Knights:

(Is that a signature in the grass on the right?)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:30 am »

That's the knights randomizer

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 08:30:04 am »
+6

Nice!

The base cards aren't there, neither the traditional nor those from Base Cards (at least not with names I could guess). There is a picture platinum.jpg, but that one is empty, and a province.jpg, but that is actually Gardens again!

But otherwise all cards are there, and also this for Knights:

(Is that a signature in the grass on the right?)

Signed grass was common in the late middle ages and early Renaissance, mainly in Italy and France. </Cliff Clavin>
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »
+1

Just noticed the flags at the left look like the usual dominion symbol in green instead of blue. Good to distract from the ugly spectators below them :P

I assumed it was a commentary on Greek fascism.  I associate Cyrillic most strongly with Russian, which in turn has a stronger historical association with communism.
I guess i'll not explain it in detail - at the end it'll just make me feel i've put way too little effort in it...  :-X

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 06:39:00 pm »

Just noticed the flags at the left look like the usual dominion symbol in green instead of blue. Good to distract from the ugly spectators below them :P

I guess i'll not explain it in detail - at the end it'll just make me feel i've put way too little effort in it...  :-X
Well if you want to continue putting a little effort into it, here's some quick & dirty real cyrillic letters, using Unicode, not fonts:

Phonetic approximation: Нобьди лейкс Скаут
Character-based transliteration: Нободу ликес Скоут

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »
+5

Well if you want to continue putting a little effort into it, here's some quick & dirty real cyrillic letters, using Unicode, not fonts:

It's all Greek to me.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:37 pm »

I don't know. I feel it's like ragingduckd implied, the sentence is easier to recognize in "greek".

Also as i said it was never intended to be aimed at a certain original, it was more of a collage of impressions. I allready figured that maybe i should have made the sun white and the "D" pure black to strengthen the german element... I like that kind of what's-from-where puzzle, but there's no accounting for taste, i guess...
Anyhow, nothing's perfect, so i guess i'll just leave it be and be content with it. Thanks for the translation, though :)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2013, 11:17:21 pm »
+2

Red sash and dagger

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:36 am »

Rogue's not related though.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2013, 08:45:29 am »

Did you know this is Province?:
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2013, 10:29:11 am »
+2

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
+1

Anybody else ever notice that the head in the Secret Chamber looks a lot like the one in Harry Potter?

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
+1

Anybody else ever notice that the head in the Secret Chamber looks a lot like the one in Harry Potter?

Totally!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:45 am »

Intentional reference?  :o

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2013, 01:18:03 am »

I still contend there's a bearded lady in the Market Square artwork, though I'm too lazy to prove it to you all right now.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2013, 03:18:15 am »

Can't possibly not be intentional.  Though I don't think we're going to get Word of God confirmation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2013, 09:21:49 am »

Can't possibly not be intentional.  Though I don't think we're going to get Word of God confirmation.

Possibly they are each referencing some other common source?
Well you *do* need a signature...

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:15 am »
+4

It seems like an obvious association for inspiration: Secret Chamber → Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2013, 12:48:05 pm »

omg there is a pair of evil-looking eyes lurking int that shelf!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:18 pm »

I still contend there's a bearded lady in the Market Square artwork, though I'm too lazy to prove it to you all right now.

Definitely is a lady. Either a beard or some funky shadowing. I am willing to accept bearded.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »

It's just a shadow. Zoom in.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 20 queries.