Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fermenting/Refermation  (Read 2331 times)

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Fermenting/Refermation
« on: August 15, 2013, 04:16:51 am »

People talk about Fermenting/Reformation quite a bit. It is a a strong combo but there is a lot you can do to defend against it.  I think my opponent did a great job of defending against F&R. Below is a list of some of the stronger counters to F&R, but there are a lot of things that will sometimes work.  I've even stolen Fermenting with City States since they had castles splayed and it was their only top castle card. 

I forgot to post the log for this, and can't find it now.  If anyone knows how to find it, that would be great it was between me and dudeHere around 2:30 am MDT 8/15.

Counters to F&R
  • Fast Scoring (Clothing, Currency, Perspective, Coal, Machine Tools)
  • Sharing Dogmas (Sailing, Experimentation, Railroad, Corporations)
  • Board Screwing (Engineering, Gunpowder, Fission, Globalization, Bioengineering)
  • Hand Size Attacks (Classification, Explosives, Composites)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:57:18 pm by eliegel34 »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Fermenting/Refermation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:08 am »

Aren't you supposed to link a game?

Compass, Engineering, and Gunpowder disrupt it.  If any other cards stop your fermenting/reformation strategy, you're probably doing it wrong. 

I guess Sailing works if you use Code of Laws as one of your enablers.  Optics, pretty tough to share with a Fermenting player.  Alchemy and Physics really shouldn't work at all, the Fermenting player can keep his icon count lower than that.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:07 am »

Classification can hurt, too, but the problem there is that you're not actually stopping the combo; you're just melding some of his cards.

There's stuff in higher ages like Railroad, Electricity, and Mobility that would do something in theory, but by then your opponent is drawing 8+ cards per dogma anyway. Composites sounds painful, though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »

The Fermenting player can often guarantee you don't draw composites by leaving 2 cards in the 8 stack, then using double fermenting to draw 12 cards.

If you have enough icons to share experimentation, corporations, or railroad, you're doing it wrong.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.