Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Feelings about Figures+Base  (Read 2877 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
Feelings about Figures+Base
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:12:57 pm »

Well... after 10 games or so, I have to say I think the game is just a lot more random with Figures.

First is the thing that you never quite know what's there in the figures deck... technically you can, but in any game the figures deck rarely gets depleted and you always only see a small fraction of them. It is then not very beneficial to plan with them since there is no way to efficiently draw the figure you want. So to me it's more like lottery, with the decree as sort of the last resort/stable income.

That being said, when the situation's right (that is, you happen to draw a figure that is ideal for your/your opponent's current board) some of the figures are just overpowered. The game can be decided by just drawing one of those cards.

For example, today I had a game where I happen to draw a green figure (age 5 or 6) saying INSPIRE: score a top card with crown from anywhere; if you would score a card, first take the achievement of the value of the card ignoring the age requirement. This card is insane. First it is an attack that can not be stopped. Second it attacks, score, achieve at the same time. When the situation is right it is just nuts.

Another example is another card I forgot color and age, saying count the type of icons you have more than two times as your opponent as extra achievements. And my opponent won via clock and castle just by melding this card. It's really a sneak attack as I didn't see him have any way to achieve even a single achievement in a single action much less to say two.

I don't know, I think the game is wacky and fun and sort-of still skillful; I just don't find it as deep as the original (deep in the sense that a lot of play comes from anticipating or planning for the cards in the deck.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Feelings about Figures+Base
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »

The green power achiever you're referring to is Bartolomew Cristofori, and he's from age 5.  He's kind of nuts, I will give you that.  That said, the nice thing is that age 5 is pretty homogenous: no matter what figure you get from there, it's probably going to be pretty strong.

Alfred Nobel is from a high enough age that's he's ok. Age 7 if I'm not mistaken.  You should just expect that much power at that point.  Figures are at least 1 age of upgrade from their age, if not 2, by quality, so you should be asking if your opponent can win by computers into globalization at that point.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:16:31 pm »

Now I had another game won by abusing Samuel de Champlain... figures in green, age 5 are nuts.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:49 pm »

Yeah, it's a strong age.  I'm pretty sure age 5 figures are better than age 6 >_<

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »

I agree age 6 is weak, no insta achievers only that one guy that lets you achieve your factories.  Age 7 on the other hand...with Rowland Hill, Nobel, Stepheson, R E Lee all make some achievements quick.  Not to mention Maxwell for a quick empire / world or Darwin for a quite doable instant win.  Maybe the creators thought age 6 base + echoes was already crazy ridiculous already (it kind of is).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:59:12 am »

I agree age 6 is weak, no insta achievers only that one guy that lets you achieve your factories.  Age 7 on the other hand...with Rowland Hill, Nobel, Stepheson, R E Lee all make some achievements quick.  Not to mention Maxwell for a quick empire / world or Darwin for a quite doable instant win.  Maybe the creators thought age 6 base + echoes was already crazy ridiculous already (it kind of is).
I would think that would motivate an opposite design goal.  You would want to make age 6 figures even more powerful so it remained a tough choice whether to draw figures with shared dogmas or base/echoes with unshared dogmas.

But, your theory does seem to have some substance, since age 7 was formerly a bit weak, and it got really good figures.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:55 pm »

I just played a game where I shared pressure cooker and basically cycled through all the 6 figures.  They are weak...even weaker than 5!  I mean 5 has Shivaji, Champlain, Cristofieri, Peter the Great, Bartholomew Roberts, Vermeer, it's like achieve city!  Each of those has various levels of ridiculous achieve power.  I thought 8 achievements was a lot, but it actually is not at all.  With all the special ones like war, rivalry etc you can have an early typical monument / supremacy achieve 1 and 2 and a special and you already got 5/8!  Maybe 9 achievements really is necessary....
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.