Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: KC-Scheme - But how?  (Read 3810 times)

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
KC-Scheme - But how?
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:43:12 am »

It's not really an article, but I hope my questions will provide some kind of interesting discussion about the combo, so maybe it's right here, isn't it?

KC-Scheme + X or even KC-KC-Scheme-Scheme-X, is known as a quite powerful combo. But when is it worth to set up?

First, it might be important what's the X. I suppose terminal money and attacks are the man adress of thi combo, so you can either attack your opponent hard or buy a Province every turn quite constantly. Cards: Mandarin, Beggar, Possession (?), Ghost Ship, Torturer, Bridge, Monument...some other terminal Silvers

The strengh of this combo is, that you just need to buy Schemes, then KCs, and by the topdecking of Scheme, the cards will finallycome together, even in a 40 card deck. And after that, you don't have to mind about greening. But in an average game, I suppose this to be very slow, right?

So is the main purpose of KC-Scheme to play important cards frequently even you're deck is way to much junked to build an engine? 

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: KC-Scheme - But how?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:00:55 am »

Its main purpose is to add reliability to an engine, so that you can be sure to draw your entire deck and play all your key cards each turn.

You don't want it in a junked deck unless you anticipate some heavy trashing, because in such a deck it takes ages to get the KC in the first place, and then it takes some more ages to connect it with the scheme and your X, at which point the game is close to over.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:39 am »

Setting up king's court on king's court then scheme is universally good. Throne with scheme has more of the edge cases that you are looking for.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:11:19 am »
+4

KC-Scheme + X or even KC-KC-Scheme-Scheme-X, is known as a quite powerful combo. But when is it worth to set up?

It's worthwhile basically any time that KC itself is worthwhile, plus some of the cases where KC is marginal.

First, it might be important what's the X. I suppose terminal money and attacks are the man adress of thi combo, so you can either attack your opponent hard or buy a Province every turn quite constantly. Cards: Mandarin, Beggar, Possession (?), Ghost Ship, Torturer, Bridge, Monument...some other terminal Silvers

This is a very important point. There's no value in building a KC engine unless you have some "payload" cards, cards that its particularly valuable to play KC on. The examples you name are all good ones, expect perhaps for Ghost Ship, which yields only a paltry +2 cards on it's 2nd and 3rd play.

The strengh of this combo is, that you just need to buy Schemes, then KCs, and by the topdecking of Scheme, the cards will finallycome together, even in a 40 card deck. And after that, you don't have to mind about greening. But in an average game, I suppose this to be very slow, right?

Yes and no. Buying Shemes definitely slows you down, but on the other hand, you don't need to slim down as agressively as you would without Scheme. Unless there's Minion on the board, once you pair your KC and Scheme, you're set for the rest of the game and you'll start every turn with 6 cards and 3 actions. Soon after that, you'll have KC-KC-Scheme-Scheme, which means starting every turn with 7 cards, 5 actions, and 3x on the first action you play. That's fair compensation for having all 10 Ruins in your deck!

So is the main purpose of KC-Scheme to play important cards frequently even you're deck is way to much junked to build an engine?

I'm not sure I'd call it the "main purpose," as KC-Scheme is strong even when there aren't any junk cards in your way, but yes, KC-Scheme is extremely junk-resistant. From time to time, I do play a kingdom where it's best to ignore KC, but when Scheme is also on the board it's almost always right to build a KC engine.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:28:38 am »
+3

People WE KNOW? Are playing KC-Scheme? BUT HOW?!?

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »
+2

One thought on "How":
You usually want to build your economy first to get KC as soon as possible. When you do, then start picking up Schemes and putting them on top until you draw one with a KC.

Then next goal is to get a second KC ASAP. The real power of this combo is not KC-Scheme, its KC-KC-Scheme-Sceme-KC-Draw-[more awesome cards]

Ed

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 03:20:59 pm »
+3

One thought on "How":
You usually want to build your economy first to get KC as soon as possible. When you do, then start picking up Schemes and putting them on top until you draw one with a KC.

Then next goal is to get a second KC ASAP. The real power of this combo is not KC-Scheme, its KC-KC-Scheme-Sceme-KC-Draw-[more awesome cards]

Ed

Listen to ednever. He just whomped me in our GokoDom game by building a better economy and getting to KC first. I had plenty of Schemes, but I couldn't get to $7 and so they didn't do me any good. I'm too embarrassed to even post the log here. :P
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »

One thought on "How":

Ed

Listen to ednever. He just whomped me in our GokoDom game by building a better economy and getting to KC first. I had plenty of Schemes, but I couldn't get to $7 and so they didn't do me any good. I'm too embarrassed to even post the log here. :P

I just keep making this mistake. Future Andrew: buy some damn Silver and get to KC quickly. Scheme can wait and a KC-Scheme deck doesn't need to be slim to be powerful.

I pulled off a last second combo here, but SCSN deserved the win. He had a massive lead the whole game b/c he got to KC while I was still messing around with my early Schemes:

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130818/log.5101a6c4e4b02b7235c3860f.1376869681777.txt
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:48:45 pm by ragingduckd »

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.