Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Market chain, Gardens, Transition  (Read 3531 times)

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Market chain, Gardens, Transition
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:57 am »

Hi,

I played a game that included Market, Chapel and Gardens. My opponent and I went both for a Market chain.
On turn 14 my opponent is able to buy 2 Provinces. I want to stay ok and at the next opportunity I buy 1 province (turn 14).
Now I know that I want to use my Markets to get lots of cards and eventually Gardens (please tell me if this strategy is incorrect).
But how to do this? What is the best way to go? I think there are 2 options:
1) buying lots of cards and killing my Market chain. A "fast" transition into a deck with lots of Copper, Gardens and Duchy
2) or a slow transition emphasizing the slowly decreasing power of the Market chain when buying Copper.

In the game I went for the first option. I take the decision at my first Province buy (also turn 14). There are 5 buys left after the Province buy. And I buy 5 Coppers choosing option number 1. What was the right thing to do here?
The second option has a range buying 1 up to 4 Coppers. How many Coppers I should have bought?
Maybe there is rule, if you assume in the future there will be more turns (depending on the speed of the transition) with buys leftover that says: "first two of these turns you buy 1-2 Copper. After that you use all your leftover buys for copper"

I am aware that the setup I described might be unprecise. How can I post the game log in this topic? I am very interested what is the right buying decision on my 14th turn. And I am looking forward to receive your suggestions.

Cheers,
love

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Market chain, Gardens, Transition
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:19:26 am »

You can find the log for your game here. To post it in this thread you just have to copy-paste the link to it.

If you want to receive some meaningful feedback you really should post the entire kingdom rather than just 3 cards, but in any case: Chapel into Markets is very slow and easily beaten by a strategy that skips Chapel and just buys Silvers, Golds and Provinces. In a kingdom of only Chapel, Gardens and Market, I'd buy 0 Chapels, a Market only when I hit exactly 5 and do not yet want a Duchy or a Gardens, and a Gardens only half-way through the greening phase, after I already have a bunch of Provinces.

love

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:40:56 am »

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »

Also, this may not be the best place to ask for help. Consider going to either the Game Reports tab, or the sub-tab Help under Game Reports.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »

I would guess that with chapel, a village + moat engine is feasible to build to reliably double province via golds with a few markets, I don't think gardens is feasible to compete in terms of points or speed.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:14:58 pm »

I would guess that with chapel, a village + moat engine is feasible to build to reliably double province via golds with a few markets, I don't think gardens is feasible to compete in terms of points or speed.

Really? You think your Chapel deck is going to grab ALL 8 Provinces before your opponent creates an insurmountable Gardens lead? With a Village/Moat engine? Unlikely.

Destierro

• Bishop
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »

Really? You think your Chapel deck is going to grab ALL 8 Provinces before your opponent creates an insurmountable Gardens lead? With a Village/Moat engine? Unlikely.

Don't underestimate the village moat engine when there is the strongest trashing in the game on the board. I would 100% go engine on this board, theres draw, attacks, strong trashing, and cantrip +buy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:25:13 pm »

Don't underestimate the village moat engine when there is the strongest trashing in the game on the board. I would 100% go engine on this board, theres draw, attacks, strong trashing, and cantrip +buy.
I'm thinking what SheCan'tSayNo is saying is pretty much true for this kingdom, just add a Militia in there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »

I'll be Gardening in this kingdom, too. Woodcutter and Market is ok support for it. And Militia hurts Chapel into engine much more than helps it here.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »

If you're playing a Militia every turn and limit your opponent to pretty much Gardens buys with Woodcutters and Coppers thrown in, you can definitely outrace that with Provinces. Woodcutter/Gardens is really weak. Market helps it a little bit but probably not by too much. I'm guessing that a Gardens deck needs ~50 cards to be competitive if it skips Provinces altogether. Engine also the option to snipe a couple of Gardens whereas the opposing strategy probably can't snipe Provinces.

Village/Moat is functionally equivalent to a Lab with less reliability, but it costs the same amount of $ to buy. In the engine, you can probably build to a deck state of 3 Gold, Militia, and 2 Market, then buy Province, Village, Moat every turn until the game ends, maybe transitioning into Province + Duchy in the endgame.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:40:34 pm by dondon151 »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 04:36:39 pm »

I'll be Gardening in this kingdom, too. Woodcutter and Market is ok support for it. And Militia hurts Chapel into engine much more than helps it here.

But if you're Gardening with Woodcutter and copper buys, you're not playing that militia very often if at all.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »

But if you're Gardening with Woodcutter and copper buys, you're not playing that militia very often if at all.

Nope, just a few critical times early hopefully to delay Chapel once or twice. Late, it's a bonus. Forcing your opponent to spend an extra turn or two trashing two cards instead of four is a big deal.

After reading dondon's defense of village-moat, I am having second thoughts, but market with gardens usually turns out surprisingly ok if there's something else giving plus buy, too.

There's no reason the gardening player couldn't grab village moat on $5 and two buys, too, depriving the other player of engine parts, and giving yourself two cards, and going for a rush ending the game (Moat, Village, Gardens) before the other player gets more than a province or two. The engine player needs a lot of cheap cards and building before getting that green....

This is actually not a bad kingdom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.