Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why yes, I think I will take the draw, check log "Oh, your hand sucked."  (Read 2142 times)

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games

I am but a lowley 4000 plus ranking player who has hit a lucky streak to get up around 5000 when with great trepidation I saw that Awaclus joined my game.
The Kingdom was powerful and I was quietly fuming after my Bridges had clashed on both turn 5 and then turn 7 (I am certainly not claiming any great play on my part, in fact I know I am being outplayed and am floundering).  On turn 14 it looked like Awaclus was primed to sweep me next turn.  So I got a lucky draw and ended the game in a tie by buying out the third stack.  I felt pretty pleased with myself. 

Then I checked the log an saw Awaclus's final hand and felt less pleased.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130809/log.514708c4e4b0cf33e05114cd.1376048503931.txt
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:28:08 pm by Mole5000 »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
+5

The contents of his hand don't change whether your play was correct or not.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
+1

The contents of his hand don't change whether your play was correct or not.

True but it always feels terrible.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

On your final turn, I think you should have played your Watchtower before playing your Minion, then saved your Minion for when you had no more Actions in hand to play so that you could find your last Bridge.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile

I think I would want a Count with my first 5 here.  With so many strong engine parts, you really just need some trashing to help line them up, and count can do that pretty effectively.  I would be cursing my luck after opening Bridge/Silver and and not getting a 5$ hand T3 or T4.  I know it happens like 1/7 games or so, but it doesn't make it suck any less. 

Its always hard to take a tie, but I probably would have taken it there.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games

On your final turn, I think you should have played your Watchtower before playing your Minion, then saved your Minion for when you had no more Actions in hand to play so that you could find your last Bridge.

I'd shuffled during Awaclus's turn 14 so, given that I discarded my final bridge when I played my Minion at the start of the turn, I had my full deck to get through before having a chance of seeing it.  By the time I got to the Minion I played for coin I don't think I had enough draw capability left in the deck to find it.

Although that's a post-hoc justification I never even considered that whilst playing through the hand.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile

Hold on. The log says that you had 5 Bridges in your deck. Your draw during turn 14's cleanup phase shows that you don't reshuffle and that you draw your last Bridge. So it was definitely somewhere in your draw pile.

I don't know if Goko displays cards in the order in which they are drawn. Assuming they are, your Watchtower would have not drawn the Silver. The next WM play will draw the Silver, reveal a Bridge and a WM, and discard a Copper. Here you would play your Minion for discard, drawing Bridge, WM, Copper, and WM. Play WM, drawing Minion and revealing Bridge, Copper, Copper. Play WM again to draw the 4th Bridge.

So then you'd have 4 buys on free WMs plus another buy for a Province.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
+1

Hold on. The log says that you had 5 Bridges in your deck. Your draw during turn 14's cleanup phase shows that you don't reshuffle and that you draw your last Bridge. So it was definitely somewhere in your draw pile.

I don't know if Goko displays cards in the order in which they are drawn. Assuming they are, your Watchtower would have not drawn the Silver. The next WM play will draw the Silver, reveal a Bridge and a WM, and discard a Copper. Here you would play your Minion for discard, drawing Bridge, WM, Copper, and WM. Play WM, drawing Minion and revealing Bridge, Copper, Copper. Play WM again to draw the 4th Bridge.

So then you'd have 4 buys on free WMs plus another buy for a Province.

Correct, I can't count to 5 apparently.

EDIT: I made my favourite mistake of thinking "4 buys?" must mean I've played 4 cards that give my +Buy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:30:11 am by Mole5000 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.559 seconds with 20 queries.