Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: GokoDom II: Round 1 Discussion Thread  (Read 30184 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
GokoDom II: Round 1 Discussion Thread
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:22 am »
+5

Please post your match results here for discussion of the games, strategies, etc.!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom II: Round 1 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:24:29 am »

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. If a player has scored 3 match points within 4 games, that player wins the match.

I still don't understand this. If I win my first 2 games, tie the third and win the fourth, I have 3.5 match points and am thus guaranteed to win. Why, then, should we still play two more games?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:30:15 am »

6. Play a minimum of three games, and a maximum of six games, based on the next section.  If any game was a tie, the sixth game will be played.

How to Score Your Match

1. If a player has scored 3 match points within 4 games, that player wins the match.

I still don't understand this. If I win my first 2 games, tie the third and win the fourth, I have 3.5 match points and am thus guaranteed to win. Why, then, should we still play two more games?

This, boys and girls, is why you proofread after copying and pasting!  Fixed now; that line didn't make sense even in context with the rest of what was posted there!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:37:15 am »

There's also a glitch in the Tournament Spreadsheet, row 52.

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:53:27 am »

Anyone help noob with how to get game logs out of goko?

Bekse

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:56:10 am »

Yeah, id like to know this too.

Just copy paste the Chrome plug in info after game?

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
+1

So Kirian, how do I go about saving and posting my logs of my games.  I don't use the forum a ton so I am a little rusty.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:21:05 am »
+7

This will open a window with the game log. Paste the url of the log in your post to report your results.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »

The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

Shouldn't it be the player with the most cards? Or does a small set count as much as a big set? If that's the case, then what about promos?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »

The player with the most sets will host each game using random cards in Unrated mode.  That player should also take responsibility for saving game logs.

Shouldn't it be the player with the most cards? Or does a small set count as much as a big set? If that's the case, then what about promos?

In general it shouldn't matter, as most of the field has all sets.  Because of the various annoyances needed to get promos, I'm ignoring them.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »

There's also a glitch in the Tournament Spreadsheet, row 52.

That's totally intentional.  You just don't see Name and Current Opponent hanging out on the forums very often, they're shy.

/yeah, I'll fix it later when I'm not on mobile.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:56 pm »

So it turns out my blood sacrifice to the RNG god did not go to waste. Good to know.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:50 pm »

tag
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
+1

tag
What is this? I don't even...

He's posting in the thread so it shows up on his "New Replies" page and not just on the "Unread Posts" page.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 07:22:40 pm »

blejango!

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:07 pm »

tag
What is this? I don't even...

He's posting in the thread so it shows up on his "New Replies" page and not just on the "Unread Posts" page.
Oh, ok that makes sense.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 03:47:41 pm »

michaeljb 3.5 - 1.5 pst

Game 1
michaeljb 56 - 56 pst

Game 2
pst 47 - 34 michaeljb

Game 3
pst 0 - 1 michaeljb

Game 4
michaeljb 46 - 29 pst

Game 5
michaeljb 41 - 36 pst

In game 3, I was feeling pretty good about my deck, I was certain I was about to pull Goons from the BM deck and start actually scoring, then when I went to click the chat button, I hit Black Market in my hand instead, before I had played any of my Bazaars or anything (and I had another BM in my deck). Next turn, pst pulled out Goons and got a Gold, and suddenly was worried.

Fortunately, on my next turn, I was just able to run out the Caravans and buy a single Estate :)
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »
+2

Psyduck defeats kn1tt3r 3:1

Game 1 37:34 -> 1:0
kn1tt3r plays Councilroom-BM, I try to establish an engine based on Fortress and Councilroom, hoping to pull off some tricks with Farmland. While I farmland two Estates into Fortresses, kn1tt3r builds up some economy and has a lead. I feel that I get very lucky with my Smugglers and the Farmlands and can squeeze out a close win.

Game 2 13:12 -> 2:0
An interesting game around University, Ambassador, Highway, Count, Worker's Village and Black Market. kn1tt3r starts Count/-, while I buy Ambassador/Potion. We play some tennis, kn1tt3r has the leaner deck, I have more action cards. Luckily, I can buy Envoy and Catacombs from the Black Market, as there wasn't any other draw. When Highway and Worker's Village are empty, it all comes down to a sudden three-pille ending. So we start buying some green as protection, as in my last turn I gain the last 6(!) Counts and use another one to gain a Duchy for the win.

Game 3 25:33 -> 2:1
Wharf-BM. I feel happy as I can start Wharf/Embargo, while my opponent has to start Remake/Silver. I put a token on Grand Market and get my third Wharf in turn 5. However, kn1tt3r remakes his Estates into Silvers and has way more money and a much better deck, so he wins without any problems.

Game 4 15:3 -> 3:1
Here we have draw (Wharf, Ghost Ship, Fortune Teller), +action (Bandit Camp), +buy (Wharf, Nomad Camp), discard attacks (Ghost Ship, Militia) and a gainer (Haggler), so I try to build an engine and hope to get some trashing from the Black Market. Therefore I start Militia/Silver, while kn1tt3r goes for the same with Black Market/Silver. For some reasons I don't see yet (hints are appreciated) it comes together much better for me. My Spice Merchant from the BM as well as kn1tt3r's Forge don't play an important role anymore, as he resigns after my second Province.

kn1tt3r also recorded the match, he's going to post these tomorrow. :)
Thank you very much kn1tt3r for these interesting games, I wish you all the best for the next rounds.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:34:13 pm »
+2

blueblimp 3 - 3 WalrusMcFishSr (we rejoice in our shared victory)

Game 1
blueblimp 53 - 52 WalrusMcFishSr

Game 2
WalrusMcFishSr 43 - 30 blueblimp

Game 3
WalrusMcFishSr 3 - 9 blueblimp

Game 4
WalrusMcFishSr 3 - -5 blueblimp
(looks like I forgot to check who goes first in this game, oops)

Game 5
blueblimp 55 - 49 WalrusMcFishSr

Game 6
WalrusMcFishSr 29 - 27 blueblimp
Interesting kingdoms that I feel I misplayed quite a bit.

Game 1 -- Because Colonies are present, I play "city idiot" despite not a lot of support. The presence of Outpost and Horse Traders at least gives me +buy to worth with. Dunno what's the optimal path to making this work, but I certainly didn't take it, at one point spending $11 on a City (which is just silly). This one I steal in the endgame using p1 advantage.

Game 2 -- Key cards are Counterfeit, Venture, Baker, Baron, Stables. Chaining Bakers and chaining Ventures are both nice outcomes of Counterfeiting away the copper, and it was hard to pick which to commit to. I'm still not sure which would be better (I went mostly for Ventures). I overbuild and consequently lose.

Game 3 -- Key cards are Oracle, Bridge, Farming Village, Herald, Border Village. Obviously it's bridge madness, but there are lots of choices about how to set it up. I do better at the engine building and 3-pile to win.

Game 4 -- Key cards are Urchin, Watchtower, Ironworks, Mining Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Merchant Guild, and to a lesser extent Wishing Well and Treasury. I'm so, so sure that a MG+Watchtower engine should beat IGG handily here, but I don't get trashing+watchtowers set up early enough (partly due to being p2 with a 5/2 start, and partly due to bad play) and get snowed under by curses and 3-piled partly by the Mining Villages, which are badly needed in an engine as the only village, since MG, WT, Mercenary are all terminal.

Game 5 -- Start with Sea Hag, pick up Upgrade to trash, then choose between a Highway/Woodcutter follow-up or Vault (possibly with Tunnel support). I went for the former route but Vault is probably better, given the lack of engine possibilities. Manage to squeak it out somehow after a long endgame slog.

Game 6 -- Hermit, Shanty Town, Fortress, Torturer, and to a lesser extent Vagrant and Caravan, make this look really good for Torturer. Except for: Rebuild and lack of +buy. I try the Torturer route anyway but narrowly lose to Rebuild.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 05:55:42 pm »
+1

Polk5440 defeats Grujah 3 - 0.

I am glad we were able to quickly find a time to play, since Grujah is vacationing starting tomorrow. Have fun on vacation! And thanks for the games!

Game 1:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130810/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1376169005136.txt
Grujah 22 - Polk 24

Young Witch into Rebuild for me. He tries Bishop into Rebuild. The only thing of note here is that I miscounted at the end by two points -- had I not hit a Duchy, I would have lost.

Game 2:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130810/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1376169526360.txt
Polk 30 - Grujah 22

Rebuild again? Sigh. Cutpurse (x2), Silver, and Rebuild. He opts for a Hoard on his first $6 over Rebuild. I play the Rebuild strategy better this game than the last one, and come out with a convincing win. 

Unfortunately, Grujah mentioned he isn't comfortable with Rebuild yet, so these first two kingdoms were not good draws for him.

Game 3:
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130810/log.50ba29b8e4b015dcbac5f45a.1376170192816.txt
Polk 23 - Grujah -3 (resigned)

Engine. I am up two games, so I play pretty conservatively, not doing anything fancy. I open Silver-Chapel; he gets 5-2 and starts Mountebank-Chapel. My goal is a very simple draw-your-deck engine: Border Village-Smithy at the core. I supplemented with an Outpost, Mountebank, Herbalist, and a couple Crossroads.

Thanks to a couple good Outpost turns, I get out to a 4 Province lead and he resigns, opting to simply revel in the fact that he is going on vacation this week, and I am not.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 05:23:34 am »
+1

kn1tt3r plays Councilroom-BM, I try to establish an engine based on Fortress and Councilroom, hoping to pull off some tricks with Farmland. While I farmland two Estates into Fortresses, kn1tt3r builds up some economy and has a lead. I feel that I get very lucky with my Smugglers and the Farmlands and can squeeze out a close win.

Since Council Room games tend to be very fast, I didn't expect an engine to be any good. So well, in the end I probably made some endgame mistakes, but overall this goes down to 1st player advantage I guess?
Video:

Game 2 13:12 -> 2:0
An interesting game around University, Ambassador, Highway, Count, Worker's Village and Black Market. kn1tt3r starts Count/-, while I buy Ambassador/Potion. We play some tennis, kn1tt3r has the leaner deck, I have more action cards. Luckily, I can buy Envoy and Catacombs from the Black Market, as there wasn't any other draw. When Highway and Worker's Village are empty, it all comes down to a sudden three-pille ending. So we start buying some green as protection, as in my last turn I gain the last 6(!) Counts and use another one to gain a Duchy for the win.

Oh my. I whine a bit about my 5/2 opening and finally go for Count as my primary trasher, not realizing however that we both have a Coin token due to Baker in the Black Market. So that's my first big mistake, even though the Count opening is not that bad. The other (and way bigger) mistake is ignoring Black Market, which provided Psyduck with the extremely helpful draw on this board. So overall very badly played by me and a deserved win for Psyduck.
Video:

Game 3 25:33 -> 2:1
Wharf-BM. I feel happy as I can start Wharf/Embargo, while my opponent has to start Remake/Silver. I put a token on Grand Market and get my third Wharf in turn 5. However, kn1tt3r remakes his Estates into Silvers and has way more money and a much better deck, so he wins without any problems.

Originally I go for Remake/Silver over Silver/Silver because I wanted to target Grand Markets, which gets screwed somewhat by his Embargo though. Now even though my Remake misses the Reshuffle, I get quite decent luck with it and am able to build quite a decent Wharf-Money deck. I don't know whether Remake is good with Wharf-BM in general (I guess not), but here it worked out for me.
Video:

Game 4 15:3 -> 3:1
Here we have draw (Wharf, Ghost Ship, Fortune Teller), +action (Bandit Camp), +buy (Wharf, Nomad Camp), discard attacks (Ghost Ship, Militia) and a gainer (Haggler), so I try to build an engine and hope to get some trashing from the Black Market. Therefore I start Militia/Silver, while kn1tt3r goes for the same with Black Market/Silver. For some reasons I don't see yet (hints are appreciated) it comes together much better for me. My Spice Merchant from the BM as well as kn1tt3r's Forge don't play an important role anymore, as he resigns after my second Province.

Hm. I probably screwed up the start here by not opening Milita, which I regared as obsolete due to eventual Ghost Ships (which I never got). Instead I opened Black Market here in order to possibly get something useful out of it. Well, that was probably not worth it in general, and certainly not for me as the game turned out. I mean, I got something out of it, but especially my Native Village buy should have been a Bandit Camp for sure - so ultimately Black Market not only did not a lot for me, it even distracted me from the really important cards. Moreover I lose focus during midgame due to some private text messages I got, but it didn't matter at that point anymore anyway. 
So much for bad play. Apart from that I also had some bad luck, like not hitting the crucial $5 very often, but this didn't lose me the game. It just 'helped'...
Video:

Anyway, thanks and congratulations to Psyduck for some nice games. Good luck for the coming rounds.

Videos of the games are uploading. I'm going to edit this post once the upload is finished uploaded.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:08:23 am by kn1tt3r »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:11 am »

Since Council Room games tend to be very fast, I didn't expect an engine to be any good. So well, in the end I probably made some endgame mistakes, but overall this goes down to 1st player advantage I guess?
Video:

I just really feel like Smugglers is key here. As second player I definitely would have picked one up. Especially if the other player goes Council Room, too -- then you can play Smugglers and still have a 5 card hand quite often without returning the externality.

Nice games!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.