Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: PbF Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. Game Over: Chairs Wins!  (Read 15612 times)

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Player Order:
1. mail-mi
2. Kuildeous
3. Tables
4. chairs

Roll through the ages is a dice-rolling civ-type game for 1-4 players.  Player's turns are relatively self-contained so it should work nicely as a forum game.  We can roll dice here, and I'll keep the scorecards updated.

The rules for this game aren't posted online, but they're mostly available anyways because it's a simple game, and the scoresheet is available online.

Scoresheets

Quick Reference:
Order of Play
1. Roll dice and collect goods and food
2. Feed cities and resolve disasters
3. Build cities and/or monuments
4. May buy a development
5. Discard goods in excess of 6

Dice
1 = 3 Food
2 = 1 Good
3 = 3 Workers
4 = 2 Food OR 2 Workers
5 = 7 Coins
6 = 2 Goods and 1 Skull

Disasters
Cause   Result   Effect
No Food   Famine   -1 pt (per city)
1 Skull   None   No Effect
2 Skulls   Drought   -2 pts
3 Skulls   Pestilence   -3 pts for opponents
4 Skulls   Invasion   -4 pts
5 Skulls   Revolt   Lose all Goods

Game End
Game ends at the end of the round when:
-All Monuments are collectively built
-One player has 5 developments

Rules Explanation
Rules for this game are not available online, but they're pretty straightforward. 
-Roll Dice:
Roll dice yahtzee-style (i.e. roll, set aside, roll, set aside, roll (that's 3 total rolls, no more after that)).  After each roll you MUST set aside skulls (6's).  You may reroll dice previously set aside.
You roll 1 die per city you've built.

-Collect Goods/Food
Food increases according to the number of food dice you have.  Goods increase from bottom to top, 1 of each good, circling back to bottom if you get more than 5 goods.  Start from the bottom EACH TURN. 
So, for example if you have 1 wood and 2 stone from previous turns, and roll 6 goods you gain: 1 wood, 1 stone, 1 clay, 1 cloth, 1 spear, and (circling around)1 wood again, ending with 3 wood, 3 stone, and 1 of each other good.
Note: there is a hard cap of 15 food.  If you would collect food such that you go over 15 the excess is not collected.  Same with Goods, if you would collect a stone, but it would take you past the "56" slot, then you lose that good.

-Feed cities/Resolve Disasters
1 food per city.  If you cannot feed all your cities you take -1 pt for each city not fed.  Mark down negative points/lose goods for disasters (see above). 
Note: Pestilence effects opponents NOT you.

-Build
Place workers in the boxes on the scorecard.  When you fill all the boxes you've built that thing.  For monuments: the first player to build gets the points in the box, any later players get the other number.  (i.e. first player to build the great wall gets 10 points, if another player finishes it later, they get 5 points).  Boxes remain filled from turn to turn, so you can spend 7 turns building the Great Pyramid or whatever.

-Buy Development
You may spend any coins or sell goods to buy a development.  When selling goods you must sell ALL of whatever type of good you sell.  You get the value indicated under the box you're at. 
Example: You have 3 clay, you may sell it for 18 coins.  You may NOT sell less than 3 clay in this instance.  It's either all 3 clay or nothing.
Coins do not persist from turn to turn, it's spend it or lose it.
Goods do persist.

-Discard excess goods
If you have more than 6 goods, you must remove goods until you have 6, remove goods by moving the marker to the left one space.  To count how many goods you have, count the number of empty spaces to the left of your markers.

So, that's it...let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:35:26 pm by theorel »

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
Re: PbF Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:05:07 am »

Sounds interesting.

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Heh sure why not?

/in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »

Sure, I'll join. /in
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:11:08 am »

And I'll confirm my /inness.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

Also, the example you gave is:

So, for example if you have 1 wood and 2 stone from previous turns, and roll 6 goods you gain: 1 wood, 1 stone, 1 clay, 1 cloth, 1 spear, and (circling around)1 wood again, ending with 3 wood, 3 stone, and 2 of each other good.

Should that be 1 of each other good? Just making sure I didn't miss anything. The scoresheet is a little tricky without having the rulebook, but I'll peruse your explanation some more and think up more questions, I'm sure.
A man has no signature

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:34:36 am »

Also, the example you gave is:

So, for example if you have 1 wood and 2 stone from previous turns, and roll 6 goods you gain: 1 wood, 1 stone, 1 clay, 1 cloth, 1 spear, and (circling around)1 wood again, ending with 3 wood, 3 stone, and 2 of each other good.

Should that be 1 of each other good? Just making sure I didn't miss anything. The scoresheet is a little tricky without having the rulebook, but I'll peruse your explanation some more and think up more questions, I'm sure.

Indeed, that's correct.  Fixed in original post.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:50 am »

Randomizing play order:
chairs 1d4 : 4, total 4
mail-mi 1d3 : 1, total 1
Tables 1d2 : 2, total 2

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:05 am »

Okay, so mail-mi is first and gets to roll 1d6x3 to start off. 

Also, to make sure a couple items are clear (that people tend to forget/confuse),
1. The game ends at the end of the round, so everyone gets an equal number of turns.  i.e. if mail-mi discovers a fifth development first then the game will end after chairs' turn, and if chairs discovers a fifth development, the game will end after chairs' turn (i.e. immediately, since development discovery is the last thing you can do.)
2. You may only discover a max of ONE development per turn.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: PbF Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. Turn 1: mail-mi
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:15:10 am »

And I presume those boxes in the cities are for workers? So you can place a worker on a monument or a city? 

What's the disaster track on bottom for?

And do the shaded boxes in cities and monuments mean anything, or are they there to provide shape?

The Great Wall is a little confusing because of a missing border. I've learned that Google Docs does not always handle borders well, though most of the scoring sheet looks pretty good.
A man has no signature

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:00 am »

yes, yes.  So, boxes in cities and monuments are for workers.  Each time you assign a worker to that location I'll X the box, once all boxes are filled you've built the moment/city.

The distaster track is to keep track of negative points from disasters (as listed in first post).  It could just be a number, but I figured I'd just reproduce the scoresheet, and that's how you track it in person.  So, for example if you get a drought (2 skulls), I'll X 2 of those boxes, and then at the end of the game I'll subtract all of the X's in the disaster track from your score.

Shaded boxes are just to provide shape and indicate that the boxes are connected.  There's also a number by each monument to show how many workers are needed.

Actually, Great Wall was missing 2 boxes... :-[

Okay, hopefully they're all fixed.  I'm going to add a light background color to the sheet so that the borders aren't as important.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:04 am »

Okay, mail-mi's sheet has the background color.  Let me know if that's an improvement.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 08:43:14 am »

Very nice contrast. Sharp.
A man has no signature

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:11 am »

Let's try this...
Rolled 1d6 : 3, total 3
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2
Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:50:06 am »

HOw many cities do I have?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:54 am »

Hypothetical question (I hope it's hypothetical): If you get five skulls, do you gain the 10 goods first and then lose them all to revolt?
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »

@mail-mi:
Everyone starts with 3 cities (that's why you have 3 dice)

@Kuildeous:
Yes, collecting goods happens before resolving disasters.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:36:26 pm »

@mail-mi:
Everyone starts with 3 cities (that's why you have 3 dice)
Okay, where are my 3 cities? on the score sheet.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 12:41:28 pm »

A25, C24/25, E/F24/25

All that matters is that they give you 3 dice and need 3 food though.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »

set aside: 1, 3.

reroll:
Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »

set aside: 1, 3

reroll:
Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »

k done rolling, now what do i do?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »

This (you might wanna figure out what's in the spoilers yourself to understand it better)

1. Roll dice and collect goods and food
You rolled already. You collect:  3 food and no goods, now at 6 food
2. Feed cities and resolve disasters
Feed: -3 food (1 per city), now at 3
Disasters: None, no skulls
3. Build cities and/or monuments
You have 3 workers: You can choose wether you want to build the 4th city or build (part of) a wonder
4. May buy a development
You have 7 coins from 1 die and no goods.
Developments you can afford: None
5. Discard goods in excess of 6
Well, you don't have too many goods

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »

Wait i start with three food? oh. Okay, I will feed my three cities, i have 3 food left, no disasters, then I will build a fourth city.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:29 pm »

Speaking as a newbie, it seems to me that mail-mi would want to reroll that 5? If he's not going to spend those coins anyway, then that's a wasted die, and he should hope for a better result. Even a 6 is better, since there is no penalty for having one skull.

Is that reasonable to say?
A man has no signature
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.